Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe (A) League - Saturday 17/3/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:52 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:We tried him out, it was a jump too far, now he's improving but we're not inter milan and simply cannot afford to take a chance on every player that may/may not make it.

So why pay more chances to an even lesser proven player with seemingly far less promise? That's my whole issue.

It stinks.

If we'd sold JC to pay the wages of a proven striker from a higher level to score goals to get us promoted then I wouldn't have a problem. But we sold him to bring in a foreign donkey to add to STM's agency portfolio.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:31 am

Bernie wrote:Stu, thanks for the link to the Kidderminster site confirming the 13 goals that Constable has scored.

Since he left he has scored 9 more goals than either Butler or Sam and 13 more than Cederqvist.

To be fair, I'd fancy even Cederqvist to get a goal or two against Braintree Town and Vauxhall Motors.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:34 am

King Crimson wrote:
Bernie wrote:Stu, thanks for the link to the Kidderminster site confirming the 13 goals that Constable has scored.

Since he left he has scored 9 more goals than either Butler or Sam and 13 more than Cederqvist.

To be fair, I'd fancy even Cederqvist to get a goal or two against Braintree Town and Vauxhall Motors.

Ignorance.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:45 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Ignorance.

Explanation please.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:58 am

I wouldn't fancy Par to get a goal or two against the UTS 7-a-side team or the Flemish Saddlers, let alone Braintree Town or Vauxhall Motors.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Stu wrote:I wouldn't fancy Par to get a goal or two against the UTS 7-a-side team or the Flemish Saddlers, let alone Braintree Town or Vauxhall Motors.

Not with me at the back Stu. Defensive rock that I am. That's rock with an "r" before anyone starts. :D

KC, I've explained on this and other threads, I'm not going through it again.

I disagree. ;)

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:16 pm

In the interests of fairness I see that Par Cederqvist did score a goal for Osters against the mighty Total Network Solutions back in 2004. He has also scored one goal for our reserves against Coventry City reserves.

According to this site http://www.zoustos.com/team.asp?TID=417 ... ame=Osters Par scored one goal in the 2006 season for Osters, but I am not sure how accurate that information is - since according to Soccerbase he was at Raufoss in Norway last year.

I can now see that in 2005 Cederqvist scored 11 goals for Osters in the Swedish second division. The fact that he was top scorer makes it surprising that he did not stay with Osters when they went up into the Swedish first division.

Can anybody find out for certain whether he scored goals in the third division in Norway?
Last edited by Bernie on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:KC, I've explained on this and other threads, I'm not going through it again.

I disagree. ;)

Fair enough. I just thought highlighting my post and following it with the word 'Ignorance' warranted a certain degree of clarification. Am I ignorant of the quality of Braintree Town (guilty as charged), Vauxhall Motors (I would defend myself against that one) or Cederqvist (I've seen him a bit, and know he's scored for the reserves)?

It's a bit 'lies, damn lies...etc' - to compare Constanble's goals against non-league teams with Walsall's strikers against League 2 oppo is a little 'problematic', shalle we say. Admittedly, we cannot compare like with like, so perhaps unhelpful comparisons shouldn't be made at all.

Or, to put it another way, I disagree. :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Stu wrote:I wouldn't fancy Par to get a goal or two against the UTS 7-a-side team or the Flemish Saddlers, let alone Braintree Town or Vauxhall Motors.

Not with me at the back Stu. Defensive rock that I am. That's rock with an "r" before anyone starts

And there was I thinking that it was because he came out in a rash if he got near the 6 yard box... How wrong, how wrong I was... :roll:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:23 pm

When he signed, wasn't there a link to some videos of goals that he scored in Norway???

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:35 pm

Very pleased with the draw , we've got back to keeping clean sheets , at this stage of the season thats vital .

onwards and upwards

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Bernie wrote:I have not been able to find out any information of goals or appearances by Cederqvist at those clubs.

I would appreciate someone who actually knows something about Scandanavian football to give us an idea of the standard of second and third level teams in those countries.

The Raufoss club website is at

http://www.raufossfotball.no/index.php?page_id=78

but my Norwegian language is bit rusty so I hope someone else could try to translate! :D

Perhaps our very own Pär (Stener) could oblige?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:50 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:KC, I've explained on this and other threads, I'm not going through it again.

I disagree. ;)

Fair enough. I just thought highlighting my post and following it with the word 'Ignorance' warranted a certain degree of clarification. Am I ignorant of the quality of Braintree Town (guilty as charged), Vauxhall Motors (I would defend myself against that one) or Cederqvist (I've seen him a bit, and know he's scored for the reserves)?

It's a bit 'lies, damn lies...etc' - to compare Constanble's goals against non-league teams with Walsall's strikers against League 2 oppo is a little 'problematic', shalle we say. Admittedly, we cannot compare like with like, so perhaps unhelpful comparisons shouldn't be made at all.

You probably did deserve an explanation KC and personally I don't think there is a great deal of difference between the defending at this level to that of any Conference team. We carved Wycombe open three times before 10 minutes was up on Saturday, would that have been any easier against Vauxhall Motors etc bearing in mind Wycombe have one of the best home records in this division.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Stu wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Not with me at the back Stu. Defensive rock that I am. That's rock with an "r" before anyone starts

And there was I thinking that it was because he came out in a rash if he got near the 6 yard box... How wrong, how wrong I was... :roll:

That as well.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I disagree. ;)

You probably did deserve an explanation KC and personally I don't think there is a great deal of difference between the defending at this level to that of any Conference team. We carved Wycombe open three times before 10 minutes was up on Saturday, would that have been any easier against Vauxhall Motors etc bearing in mind Wycombe have one of the best home records in this division.

I agree. :wink:

:D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:18 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I disagree. ;)

Did we see the first ten minutes saturday ? :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 pm

Sshhhh.

Yes, but only while scoffing some chips standing in the corner of the ground.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:53 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Sshhhh.

Yes, but only while scoffing some chips standing in the corner of the ground.

To be honest i can't remember :D

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:53 pm

He would need an Ordanance Survey map and compass even to find where the goal was, let alone kick that funny round thing anywhere near it.

Oh why does this club keep letting certain people get involved? :evil:

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:02 pm

Dave Roe wrote:

He would need an Ordanance Survey map and compass even to find where the goal was, let alone kick that funny round thing anywhere near it.

In all fairness, whilst PT may have had some involvement, there are certain things that can't be forgotten.

1) I highly doubt DD is a 'yes man' who signs a player he doesn't want, regardless of STMs involvement

2) Most importantly, STM is the man who has signed the players who has got us out of this level before and even out of League 1 on two separate occasions.

I've got no qualms or problems with STM at this level, as he knows what is required and how to get it cheap.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Stu wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:

In all fairness, whilst PT may have had some involvement, there are certain things that can't be forgotten.

1) I highly doubt DD is a 'yes man' who signs a player he doesn't want, regardless of STMs involvement

2) Most importantly, STM is the man who has signed the players who has got us out of this level before and even out of League 1 on two separate occasions.

I've got no qualms or problems with STM at this level, as he knows what is required and how to get it cheap.

Yeah, nut read MMF's post on another thread about it affecting the young players. All more reason to ignore them when STM can top up his tan and drag in another cheapo from some far flung destination.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season