Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chester City (H) League Saturday 10/3/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:47 pm

redsaddler wrote:Harper: Not sure which wing he was playing on (both?!), but he produced a workmanlike performance. Lucky not to be punished for a stamp on Bennett in the first half. 7.

Thought I was the only was that saw that stamp. Typical of the ref today, it was quite clear to me yet he didn't see it. Fair play to Harper, they deserved some of that treatment back. If everyone had dished it out the ref might have acted sooner.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:09 pm

King Crimson wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:One other thing - we were 1-0 up at the end of the game and had only used 2 substitutes. What is it about Walsall managers not using their substitutions to run down the clock? Every other club seems to do it - take the player furthest from the dugout off to waste time. Cooper could have easily been replaced by Ishmel to run the clock down. I know it's a bit picky, but it seems like a professional thing to do to me.

Good post. You only wrote that 'cos you heard me shouting about it to your Dad! :roll:

:wink:

I knew you were going to say that. :wink:
In all seriousness, it's something that used to bug me when Merson was in charge, and I thought Money would know better.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:24 pm

Excellent results all round, and another clean sheet. We're better than this and it's starting to show.

Anyone got any news on how Wracky is, or have I not read 'AAW' yet? :oops:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:27 pm

cyclothymic wrote:Lovely sunny early Spring afternoon, 3 points against a side who would not have noticed if there was not a ball on the pitch, good performances all round with some lovely passing football at times, Keates cool as a cucumber with the pen, I am happy with that.

To expect much against a side as physical as Chester is wrong - they were allowed to foul time and again because the ref refused to show some early cards. We won't have to play them again (unless they get a cup run) for a good few years :D

Oh - and lucky Anthony got a 4-day cruise for MOTM. Beats a tray of bitter!

:lol: :lol:

4 days??? Thats not long, what do they do? Get to Cherbourg, turn round and come back??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
cyclothymic wrote:Lovely sunny early Spring afternoon, 3 points against a side who would not have noticed if there was not a ball on the pitch, good performances all round with some lovely passing football at times, Keates cool as a cucumber with the pen, I am happy with that.

To expect much against a side as physical as Chester is wrong - they were allowed to foul time and again because the ref refused to show some early cards. We won't have to play them again (unless they get a cup run) for a good few years :D

Oh - and lucky Anthony got a 4-day cruise for MOTM. Beats a tray of bitter!

:lol: :lol:

4 days??? Thats not long, what do they do? Get to Cherbourg, turn round and come back??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah - it is Norway/Sweden - I guess they fly you to the starting point :?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Exile wrote:Excellent results all round, and another clean sheet. We're better than this and it's starting to show.

Anyone got any news on how Wracky is, or have I not read 'AAW' yet? :oops:

Not as bad as first thought - seems it's just a dead-leg. Check out the official site Exile, it's on there.

mikey

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:29 pm

PerStener wrote:Happy we took 3 vital points today.

Missed the match, was invited to family dinner at my parents just before kickoff :evil:

You should have politely declined then offered to attend for tea!

Missed a good win which is always extra rewarding against a bunch of thugs.

pontypridd saddler

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:49 pm

Not a great keatsy fan but must agree the diminutive dynamo ran his socks off today and deserved MOM.

Ref was not only bad he was actually dangerous. He is dealing with peoples careers. I would like to see that refs stats for bookings and sendings off this year. Also how many players have been seriously injured with him as ref!! At least it all quietened down a bit after we scored and they had to play a bit of football to try and catch up!

On the whole the team ground out a great 3 points and played a full 90 mins.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:55 am

Very hard fought battling performance against a very poor and dirty side.
Suprise Sam was left out ot the starting line up , we looked better when he came on , As for for the foul on Wrack why theres was no red card i don't know disgraceful challange.
The save form Ince in the second half won the game for us , that was crucial.

Why Gerrard got MOTM baffles me , i though Keates has a super game , covered every blade of grass , good distrabution excellent defensive work.

All in all with other results going our way and good days work.

UP THE SADDLERS

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:12 am

Very good effort and for the first time for ages I believe we are going to be promoted.

Harper and Cooper are two levels in class above this division, but am I the only one to be bemused by Cooper yesterday. Did he put even one cross over? Maybe I missed it. He seemed to be toying with the game. He was in no trouble when on the ball, but he appeared to want to do anything for the side except actually help us score a goal. Did he have 0-0 in the fixed odds?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:48 am

Bernie wrote:am I the only one to be bemused by Cooper yesterday.

Yes.

Match report:-

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ty-report/

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:58 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Yes.

A typically arrogant response.

Has it occured to you that not everyone will agree with you?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:01 pm

Bernie wrote:but am I the only one to be bemused by Cooper yesterday. Did he put even one cross over?

No, read what I put above. One rule for Wright, one rule for Cooper and we know Cooper is the far more talented player so should get more criticism.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:01 pm

Bernie wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Yes.

Completely agree.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:59 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Bernie wrote:but am I the only one to be bemused by Cooper yesterday. Did he put even one cross over?

No, read what I put above. One rule for Wright, one rule for Cooper and we know Cooper is the far more talented player so should get more criticism.

Have to agree that Cooper was less than effective. He failed to get any lift from his crosses at all. The best cross of the game, in my view, was the one in the first half when Martin Butler whipped the ball in terrifically well from the by-line. Only a shame that Butler wasn't in the box to get on the end of it.

In general, I thought we and Chester got what we deserved. The bonus of some of the other results is great, and the players need to bear in mind that EVERY WEEK between now and the end of the season someone will slip up - making three points now seem even more important. With us, Swindon, Hartlepool, MK Dons, Lincoln, Stockport and Wycombe all jockeying for position, there will be stutters and slips by others, and we need to make the most of the only thing in our power to control: our own results.

Gerrard did well, Keates and Dobson were excellent, Ince made a couple of terrific saves. Dann, bu his own high standards, was very disappointing, ditto Cooper. Harper is a class act.

Two really difficult games ahead. I'd take three points from the two games now - preferably with a win at the Dongs. Could someone arrange that for me? Ta.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:11 pm

I think Cooper was a bit quiet, but the other thing I noticed was the way both Harper and Cooper were reluctant to cross, opting instead to find the overlap or come inside, so in a sense, neither Harper nor Cooper were playing as traditional wingers. Whether this was because they were sticking 10 men behind the ball all the time, I'm not sure.

I think Coopers performance would be aided greatly if Danny Fox could be arsed to move forward at any time, thus taking away the attention of at least one of the opposition players, but his complete lazyness and unwillingness to overlap and therefore support Cooper makes Coopers job all the harder.

I'm not disagreeing with Mark and co, I definately feel he wasn't as lively yesterday, but you also have to realise that he set a precendent with his performance against Barnet, which would be very hard to match on a consistent basis, coupled with the frustrating lethargic approach of Fox, Coopers performance wasn't the best.

Having said that, I do take exception to comparing Cooper to Wright. Even a poor performance by Cooper was one thousand times better than a normal Mark Wright performance. Cooper has strenght, vision, skill, he can keep the ball, he can find another red shirt - all attributes Mark Wright sadly lacks. So to derive praise for Mark Wright from an under-par performance from Coops is a bit far fetched and a desperate attempt to defend some one who has been mediocre at best and is now not considered good enough in League 2.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:21 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I think Coopers performance would be aided greatly if Danny Fox could be arsed to move forward at any time, thus taking away the attention of at least one of the opposition players, but his complete lazyness and unwillingness to overlap and therefore support Cooper makes Coopers job all the harder.

Agree about Fox which is why I feel Taylor has been so hard done by. There is often space for Fox to advance into and never does it meaning potential attacks break down. Taylor has been a more than able left back all season yet is a more attacking player so should keep his place.

philthesaddler wrote:I'm not disagreeing with Mark and co, I definately feel he wasn't as lively yesterday, but you also have to realise that he set a precendent with his performance against Barnet, which would be very hard to match on a consistent basis

Cooper is a Championship player. After a few weeks training and getting back to fitness it should be easier for him to replicate the Barnet performance. He is playing well below his natural level. That's why we signed him and Harper to give us an edge over other teams to complete the job of promotion.

philthesaddler wrote:Having said that, I do take exception to comparing Cooper to Wright. Even a poor performance by Cooper was one thousand times better than a normal Mark Wright performance. Cooper has strenght, vision, skill, he can keep the ball, he can find another red shirt - all attributes Mark Wright sadly lacks. So to derive praise for Mark Wright from an under-par performance from Coops is a bit far fetched and a desperate attempt to defend some one who has been mediocre at best and is now not considered good enough in League 2.

So it's ok to criticise Wright for not being able to beat his man and not get crosses over? Often the only thing people can pin on Wright apart from "wimping out of challenges" but when Cooper has an entire game of getting level with his man, then cutting back instead of crossing or taking them on it's defensible? Hardly fair criticism? Which is all I've asked all season for Wright compared to others. I am not advocating Wright should be back in the team instead of Wright, not at all. I'm just asking for fairness. Cooper has more guile and ability than Wright so should find this level a piece of piddle, yet as an attacking threat offered little more despite earning about four times as much. That's why we have the likes of Mark Wright and why people will have to learn to live with it.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
redsaddler wrote:Harper: Not sure which wing he was playing on (both?!), but he produced a workmanlike performance. Lucky not to be punished for a stamp on Bennett in the first half. 7.

Thought I was the only was that saw that stamp. Typical of the ref today, it was quite clear to me yet he didn't see it. Fair play to Harper, they deserved some of that treatment back. If everyone had dished it out the ref might have acted sooner.

Were we the only two to see Harper's stamp on Bennett? Did anyone else see it? If so, what did you make of it?

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:50 pm

I've only just stopped jumping up and down.
The disgraceful referee and then two other b******s cutting me up on the A563...

Anyway, the difference now is that a couple of months ago, a crock of plop like Chester would have turned us over.
Nowadays, we have more idea thankfully.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:52 pm

redsaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Were we the only two to see Harper's stamp on Bennett? Did anyone else see it? If so, what did you make of it?

I saw it, but I thought it was accidental as he lost his balance.

Just going back to Cooper, I dread to think what the crowd's reaction would have been if it had been Wright who'd put that crossfield ball 15 yards behind Pead in the 2nd half.

Pead had an excellent game by the way (IMO)

dancingsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:14 pm

WarsawPact wrote:I saw it, but I thought it was accidental as he lost his balance.

Just going back to Cooper, I dread to think what the crowd's reaction would have been if it had been Wright who'd put that crossfield ball 15 yards behind Pead in the 2nd half.

I thought Pead was MOTM personally!

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:30 pm

dancingsaddler wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:I saw it, but I thought it was accidental as he lost his balance.

I thought Pead was MOTM personally!

I think Pead did have a decent game TBH, but wasnt MOTM, i thought it would of been given to Keates in all honesty!
Even though i do like Gerrard, and he did have a good game, Ketaes deserved it a lot lot more!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:41 pm

Bernie wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Yes.

Sorry, were you talking to me, or looking in a mirror?

I just fail to see why you have to continually pick holes in everything we do at the moment, even when we play well.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:58 pm

moanin old git wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I think Cooper was a bit quiet, but the other thing I noticed was the way both Harper and Cooper were reluctant to cross, opting instead to find the overlap or come inside, so in a sense, neither Harper nor Cooper were playing as traditional wingers. Whether this was because they were sticking 10 men behind the ball all the time, I'm not sure.

I think Coopers performance would be aided greatly if Danny Fox could be arsed to move forward at any time, thus taking away the attention of at least one of the opposition players, but his complete lazyness and unwillingness to overlap and therefore support Cooper makes Coopers job all the harder.

I'm not disagreeing with Mark and co, I definately feel he wasn't as lively yesterday, but you also have to realise that he set a precendent with his performance against Barnet, which would be very hard to match on a consistent basis, coupled with the frustrating lethargic approach of Fox, Coopers performance wasn't the best.

Having said that, I do take exception to comparing Cooper to Wright. Even a poor performance by Cooper was one thousand times better than a normal Mark Wright performance. Cooper has strenght, vision, skill, he can keep the ball, he can find another red shirt - all attributes Mark Wright sadly lacks. So to derive praise for Mark Wright from an under-par performance from Coops is a bit far fetched and a desperate attempt to defend some one who has been mediocre at best and is now not considered good enough in League 2.

I usually agree with most of your posts mate but this constant critisism of Wrighty gets on my fools a little.....
when we look back at earlier in the season, and, as I have said many times b4, how many of our early season goals
came via the runs/crosses etc of wrighty???

Yes, he ducks out of tackles at times, he is lazy, looses interest at times, but who dosen't, when you consider
some of Butlers performances of late, I tend to wonder which of the two should be on the pitch?

I know the very idea of critisism of this mythical god like creature called Butler will raise a few eyebrows,
but he is a striker? Yes? how many of our goals have come from him lately?

that post should stir some agro............

And so it should, but I'm not going to rise to it and waste time over it, it's just too ridiculous to be bothered with. Wrighty or Butler? Good God!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:09 pm

Neil - good report but I must query your description of Sam's off-the-ball movement. Firstly, I was shocked to see the words 'Sam' and 'running' in the same sentence. :shock: He, Pead and Dobson are definitely our slowest players, You describe his movement as 'exemplary'. Well, if you mean by that, an example of what NOT to do, I will agree with you. I don't know whether this is the flip-side of your "I hate James Constable" campaign by bulling up Hector Sam to be something that he clearly isn't but there is no way, in my opinion, that Hector's off-the-ball movement could be described as good.

He does not come alive until he has the ball at his feet. He showed some true class when his shot unluckily hit the post - that deserved a goal. However, having studied him closely, over many games, at home and away, I have still to be convinced that he is good enough, even at this crappy level. In the first half, I looked up from my programme ( :D ) to watch a cross come over from our left wing. Hector Sam, making a rare and welcome visit to the opponents' goal-area, promptly ducked down behind two of the Chester gorillas, making himself unavailable for the cross. In the second half, North Staffs Saddler and I watched HS closely. When Foxy, or possibly Taylor, advanced forward, with the ball, no passing opportunities were on. Butler then broke wide to the left while Sam just STOOD STILL at the far right corner of their penalty-area, doing absolutely nothing! Movement, my a**e!!!

MMF and Phil - you make a very good point about Foxy inhibiting the play of Cooper. However, has it not occurred to you that he is only playing to his manager's instructions? In which case, we know who is responsible. Just a thought.............

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:24 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:Neil - good report but I must query your description of Sam's off-the-ball movement. Firstly, I was shocked to see the words 'Sam' and 'running' in the same sentence. :shock: He, Pead and Dobson are definitely our slowest players, You describe his movement as 'exemplary'. Well, if you mean by that, an example of what NOT to do, I will agree with you. I don't know whether this is the flip-side of your "I hate James Constable" campaign by bulling up Hector Sam to be something that he clearly isn't but there is no way, in my opinion, that Hector's off-the-ball movement could be described as good.

He does not come alive until he has the ball at his feet. He showed some true class when his shot unluckily hit the post - that deserved a goal. However, having studied him closely, over many games, at home and away, I have still to be convinced that he is good enough, even at this crappy level. In the first half, I looked up from my programme ( :D ) to watch a cross come over from our left wing. Hector Sam, making a rare and welcome visit to the opponents' goal-area, promptly ducked down behind two of the Chester gorillas, making himself unavailable for the cross. In the second half, North Staffs Saddler and I watched HS closely. When Foxy, or possibly Taylor, advanced forward, with the ball, no passing opportunities were on. Butler then broke wide to the left while Sam just [b]STOOD STILL at the far right corner of their penalty-area, doing absolutely nothing![/b] Movement, my a**e!!!

MMF and Phil - you make a very good point about Foxy inhibiting the play of Cooper. However, has it not occurred to you that he is only playing to his manager's instructions? In which case, we know who is responsible. Just a thought.............

Moaning Old Git will blame Butler for that though.

Oh sh*t, I said I wouldn't rise to it ! :shock:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:Neil - good report but I must query your description of Sam's off-the-ball movement. Firstly, I was shocked to see the words 'Sam' and 'running' in the same sentence. :shock: He, Pead and Dobson are definitely our slowest players, You describe his movement as 'exemplary'. Well, if you mean by that, an example of what NOT to do, I will agree with you. I don't know whether this is the flip-side of your "I hate James Constable" campaign by bulling up Hector Sam to be something that he clearly isn't but there is no way, in my opinion, that Hector's off-the-ball movement could be described as good.

He does not come alive until he has the ball at his feet. He showed some true class when his shot unluckily hit the post - that deserved a goal. However, having studied him closely, over many games, at home and away, I have still to be convinced that he is good enough, even at this crappy level. In the first half, I looked up from my programme ( :D ) to watch a cross come over from our left wing. Hector Sam, making a rare and welcome visit to the opponents' goal-area, promptly ducked down behind two of the Chester gorillas, making himself unavailable for the cross. In the second half, North Staffs Saddler and I watched HS closely. When Foxy, or possibly Taylor, advanced forward, with the ball, no passing opportunities were on. Butler then broke wide to the left while Sam just STOOD STILL at the far right corner of their penalty-area, doing absolutely nothing! Movement, my a**e!!!

Sorry, Bob, but not only disagree completely, I also think Sam was under instructions to play deeper than normal anyway, as he was meant to be replacing Wrack. DD's idea seemed to be to counter their 5 across midfield by playing 5 there himself, hence Wrack's original inclusion. Sam's running down the wing channels for the ball, especially from Fox in the second half was, as I said, exemplary.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:57 am

WarsawPact wrote:
redsaddler wrote:Were we the only two to see Harper's stamp on Bennett? Did anyone else see it? If so, what did you make of it?

I saw it too. Their player certainly felt it, and gave Harper a mouthful in response. It looked like a stumble, but then again, that's how a pro gets sweet revenge isn't it?

Remember Fox's 'tackle' on someone a few weeks back? Can't remember the player or team (which makes the comparison less than helpful, I know) but having been badly fouled earlier in the game, Fox took his time (so retaliation isn't clear), picked his moment and...BAM!!!... you're in the stands!

I'm sure someone can tell me what I'm talking about. :oops:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:58 am

King Crimson wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:
redsaddler wrote:Were we the only two to see Harper's stamp on Bennett? Did anyone else see it? If so, what did you make of it?

I saw it too. Their player certainly felt it, and gave Harper a mouthful in response. It looked like a stumble, but then again, that's how a pro gets sweet revenge isn't it?

Remember Fox's 'tackle' on someone a few weeks back? Can't remember the player or team (which makes the comparison less than helpful, I know) but having been badly fouled earlier in the game, Fox took his time (so retaliation isn't clear), picked his moment and...BAM!!!... you're in the stands!

I'm sure someone can tell me what I'm talking about. :oops:

KC, you have NO idea what you're talking about! :lol:

Don't remember the Fox incident...but it wouldn't surprise me with him!

Harper incident ... didn't see it but folks by me seemed very clear it was deliberate.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:04 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:KC, you have NO idea what you're talking about! :lol:

Hold the front page! :D

Someone must have an idea what game/player it was. And before anyone mentions it, I was stone cold sober! :!:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season