Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Darlington (A) League - Saturday 03/03/2007

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:20 pm

I think the Dons ground is more about filling it for the inevitable pop concerts that will be put on there. Which is all the more reason to hate them because it will no doubt mean fewer gigs taking place at the rather quaint MK Bowl.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:52 am

Having seen on another thread the pics taken of the near-deserted stadium yesterday, when Darlo were on a roll, up against a top side, and with a decent chance of putting one over on us and moving up closer to the play-offs, it just goes to show the total overkill of a stadium that size.

A stupid (though admittedly impressive) monument to a Chairman on an ego-trip, whose wallet is considerably larger than his brain.

How embarrassing to play to a near empty, atmosphere-free stadium week in week out. Christ, it's tough to get a good atmosphere going at Bescot, but they have got NO chance.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:28 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Having seen on another thread the pics taken of the near-deserted stadium yesterday, when Darlo were on a roll, up against a top side, and with a decent chance of putting one over on us and moving up closer to the play-offs, it just goes to show the total overkill of a stadium that size.

A stupid (though admittedly impressive) monument to a Chairman on an ego-trip, whose wallet is considerably larger than his brain.

How embarrassing to play to a near empty, atmosphere-free stadium week in week out. Christ, it's tough to get a good atmosphere going at Bescot, but they have got NO chance.

The chairman who built it, who has left now(? i think not sure), his plan was to get darlington into the dizzy heights of the championship so he wanted a stadium too warrant it.

Tit. he should of waited a few years. Looking at some of those pictures, i would hate to be a darlington fan.

Did anyone sing "nice ground no fans" :D

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:10 am

latviancheese wrote:The chairman who built it, who has left now(? i think not sure)

The chairman who built it is, I believe, being fed and well cared for by one of HM's care homes.

At least we can rejoice in knowing that Bescot doesn't have the worst atmosphere in the division. The atmosphere Saturday was nearly as bad our attacking threat.

Joe90
Glitterati

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:40 am

Stu wrote:
latviancheese wrote:The chairman who built it, who has left now(? i think not sure)

The chairman who built it is, I believe, being fed and well cared for by one of HM's care homes.

At least we can rejoice in knowing that Bescot doesn't have the worst atmosphere in the division. The atmosphere Saturday was nearly as bad our attacking threat.

What attacking threat?

Morty
Glitterati

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:25 am

Stu wrote:

George Reynolds is indeed spending time with HM care homes!!

i think he had ideas of grandeur when he built the stadium!

I believe that it was built so the capacity could be increased up to 60-70,000 for when George got Darlo up to the Premiership!!! :shock: :lol:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:26 am

Any chairman who bans fans and/or the media from the ground for daring to criticise him is in my book a fool who will only end up taking the club in the wrong direction.

For further examples of this see Mr P. Scally, Gillingham FC.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:36 am

Registered Saddler wrote:Any chairman who bans fans and/or the media from the ground for daring to criticise him is in my book a fool who will only end up taking the club in the wrong direction.

And then there's chairmen, who when criticised throw their dummies out of the pram and threaten to sell the club.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:56 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Any chairman who bans fans and/or the media from the ground for daring to criticise him is in my book a fool who will only end up taking the club in the wrong direction.

And then there's chairmen, who when criticised throw their dummies out of the pram and threaten to sell the club.

I'd rather him throw his dummy out than resemble Reynolds, Bateson, Scally, Richardson or many other far worse worse chairman out there.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:19 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Come, come. You can't have it both ways. At other points you have criticised Bonser for pricing potential buyers out of the market - and now you are having a go at him for threatening to sell the club. Do you want him to sell up or not?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm not the one who mentioned Bonser :wink: :lol:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I'm not the one who mentioned Bonser :wink: :lol:

My humblest apologies, sire, I got the wrong end of the stick :roll: :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:26 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I'm not the one who mentioned Bonser :wink: :lol:

My humblest apologies, sire, I got the wrong end of the stick :roll: :wink:

Oh no you didn't ! :D

(33 2 G)

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:27 am

moanin old git wrote:
Stu wrote:

how I agree with that sentiment! most of the previous posts, (with the exception of Sheff who always tells it like it is!)
seemed to think that that performance was acceptable, and so was one point.

NO that was not good enough, Darlo were poor , lets admit it. Yet even they made us look even poorer at times,
where are the goals to come from? No one seems capable of booting the bloody thing into the net anymore.

We have GOT to start scoring goals again fast, or this talk of promotion will be drowned in a play off debacle!

We had key players out injured, and Darlo were on a roll, so on that basis I'm happy with a point at this stage of the season.

Having said that, I was in Conway, not there at Darlington, so I've no way of knowing how good/bad/beatable Darlo were on the day, apart from the reports on here.

( 21 2 Go )

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:27 am

moanin old git wrote:how I agree with that sentiment! most of the previous posts, (with the exception of Sheff who always tells it like it is!) seemed to think that that performance was acceptable, and so was one point.

Sheff tells it like it is from a position almost as far removed as myself, and I'd give myself no credibility whatsoever in such matters, especially since demi-god Colin Lee left :wink: .

A point, away, against an in-form opposition was a great outcome, and a great achievement for our players. When talking about the opposition being poor I think (from my far-removed position) that it's really important to remember that everything is relative and virtually the whole of this division is poor. We got a point when they expected three, and reading their fans' views of the game, a point to us was two lost in their eyes.

At this level our players need our support, not to be bagged. We're not in the Premier League, and most of us don't expect miracle performances from players whose average annual wage would be paid to some of their prima donna counterparts in a week. Yes they're all flawed, but yes, they're doing the job. They don't have to win the Champion's League, just get us out of here.

Up The Saddlers!!!!

We don't have to be great, we just have to be better than poor!

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:31 am

Exile wrote:A point, away, against an in-form opposition was a great outcome, and a great achievement for our players. When talking about the opposition being poor I think (from my far-removed position) that it's really important to remember that everything is relative and virtually the whole of this division is poor. We got a point when they expected three, and reading their fans' views of the game, a point to us was two lost in their eyes.

They only saw it as 2 points dropped because they saw how bad we were and knew we wouldn't have scored in a brothel full of blind women had we been there for 6 months.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:20 am

I don't think Darlington were poor. They moved the ball across midfield very well in the first half especially and stretched us using width. They are unbeaten in ten and while never offered a great threat were a decent side, like us.

A boring game but a point is welcome. We could have attempted to win the game more but that's in DD's hands.

Shock, Dobson's biggest fan writing Wrack off. Anyone else who was writing Wrack off before the game like to reconsider their opinion? I doubt you were there of course. :S We kept a rare clean sheet (in recent weeks) because we didn't give the opposition possession as easily. Dobson has been better in the last couple of games but I really can't say we missed him.

Butler was awful and needs dropping, he just isn't up to the pace of the game at the moment yet DD keeps taking Sam off who in recent weeks has been excellent and the only one holding the ball up.

Pity Butler can't be dropped because his only replacement is the lazy, doesn't know where to run, Lazerquest. Bring back JC eh?

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:01 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Pity Butler can't be dropped because his only replacement is the lazy, doesn't know where to run, Lazerquest. Bring back JC eh?

Its fans you like who'll stop Lazyquest fulfilling his potential here you know, DD said he had a good game on Saturday when he came on, I must have blinked.

I know some will say he is going to openly say he isn't playing well, but at the same time, he is kidding nobody when saying that he had a good performance when he came on.

kevin
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:44 am

George Reynolds, top bloke (football wise at least).

And he DID save the football club.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:32 am

I don't know about bringing JC, he never really showed any promise for us. Thats why i dont understand people wishing he'd never left.

Meanwhile, we've got Alex Nicholls, who before his leg break looked a tremendous little player - but we've not seen him since. Has his leg break affected him that much?

It's just seems to me Nicholls has the pace and youthful exuberrance we need, yet he's not even on the scene.

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:55 am

philthesaddler wrote:I don't know about bringing JC, he never really showed any promise for us. Thats why i dont understand people wishing he'd never left.

Without going over old ground, his goal record said otherwise when you look at time on the pitch, and it was at a division higher than we're doing now.

Granted, I saw little in his game outside the box, but by the end of last season and even this, if we had a half chance or a sitter that I wanted someone to put away, I'd have had more confidence in JC doing it than I would Sam, Cederqvist or even Butler at times to be honest.

But we digress...

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:59 am

philthesaddler wrote:Meanwhile, we've got Alex Nicholls, who before his leg break looked a tremendous little player - but we've not seen him since. Has his leg break affected him that much?

It's just seems to me Nicholls has the pace and youthful exuberrance we need, yet he's not even on the scene.

Well... he is on the scene, its just that its Burton Albion's scene at the moment, not ours.

Mind you, he's getting games under his belt and picking up valuable experience along the way....

Lets hope he comes back and makes an impact... from what I've seen of him, he seems to have a bit about him!

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Anyone else who was writing Wrack off before the game like to reconsider their opinion? I doubt you were there of course. :S We kept a rare clean sheet (in recent weeks) because we didn't give the opposition possession as easily. Dobson has been better in the last couple of games but I really can't say we missed him.

Ah well now you come to mention it:

booster cogburn last week wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:Wrack would be a disaster. We need someone with some fitness, some ability to tackle and some ability to win headers and get stuck in....that's NOT Wrack!

I'd have thought now is the time to give this Lyall a go a right-back and bring Pead back into midfield.

Couldn't agree more, he will get steamrollered in that position. The game passes him by too much these days.

:oops:

I was well wrong and I don't mind admitting it. Wrack was very tidy.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Stu wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I don't know about bringing JC, he never really showed any promise for us. Thats why i dont understand people wishing he'd never left.

Without going over old ground, his goal record said otherwise when you look at time on the pitch, and it was at a division higher than we're doing now.

Granted, I saw little in his game outside the box, but by the end of last season and even this, if we had a half chance or a sitter that I wanted someone to put away, I'd have had more confidence in JC doing it than I would Sam, Cederqvist or even Butler at times to be honest.

But we digress...

Urban myth. Three goals in all his league appearances (9 starts and 14 sub) and two of those in one game against Blackpool is hardly a prolific strike rate. The only reason his record looks OK is that he got two in the Mickey Mouse Leyland Paint Vans Trophy, probably against weakened sides. I just don't know where this idea comes from, as his record at the "higher level" is nothing to write home about.

Since his permanant move to Kiddie, by the way, he's failed to score in his four League games.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:38 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Stu wrote:

But we digress...

Urban myth. Three goals in all his league appearances (9 starts and 14 sub) and two of those in one game against Blackpool is hardly a prolific strike rate. The only reason his record looks OK is that he got two in the Mickey Mouse Leyland Paint Vans Trophy, probably against weakened sides. I just don't know where this idea comes from, as his record at the "higher level" is nothing to write home about.

Since his permanant move to Kiddie, by the way, he's failed to score in his four League games.

Agreed

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Shock, Dobson's biggest fan writing Wrack off. Anyone else who was writing Wrack off before the game like to reconsider their opinion? I doubt you were there of course. :S We kept a rare clean sheet (in recent weeks) because we didn't give the opposition possession as easily. Dobson has been better in the last couple of games but I really can't say we missed him.

Damn! First I had to admit that Keates wasn't THAT bad and now I have to eat humble pie about Wrack!!

Strange thing is, I possibly am Dobson's "biggest fan" and yet....in two recent games where he hasn't played (Darlo and the second half against Lincoln), our midfield has actually posed more of a threat. Hmmmm.....methinks this may have more to do with DD taking the game more to the opposition when Dobson DOESN'T play though. Was that the case on Saturday? Is there perhaps a tendency to play more defensively with Dobson in the side?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:44 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Stu wrote:

But we digress...

Not true. The LDV Vans bit. He scored against Swansea (away) - the eventual Trophy champions and beaten play-off finalists. It was their strongest team. Ditto Wycombe, who at that stage had lost one league game and were top of League Two.

But why let facts get in the way of a good prejudice?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:06 pm

Said it before and will say it again, this argument about Constable is one of the greatest "crossed purposes" debates ever on here.

1) Did Constable do anything much in a Walsall shirt - answer, not really.
2) Did he do much wrong in a Walsall shirt - answer, not really.
3) Did DD give him much time to prove himself - not Really.
4) Has he done anything at Kidderminster to suggest DD has dropped an almighty clanger, not really. (5 goals in 14 Conference starts is hardly anything to write home about).

I honestly don't know how such a peripheral player with such obvious limitations can provoke such venomous debate.

You might just as well have the same discussion about Jonny Harkness who was far more harshly treated en-route to Kiddy, and who has done plenty to suggest he could have done a job for us since, especially as his departure left us without cover at left back.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:02 pm

I know one thing for a fact. JC would have ATTEMPTED that shot towardst the end, inside the box when it all opened up, that Lazerquest bottled and laid off so the chance was missed. JC didn't have a lot to his game but he would shoot on sight and often accurately which gives him one trait more than the foreign, brown envelope one.

That last minute effort could have given us a very welcome 3 points.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:46 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I know one thing for a fact. JC would have ATTEMPTED that shot towardst the end, inside the box when it all opened up, that Lazerquest bottled and laid off so the chance was missed. JC didn't have a lot to his game but he would shoot on sight and often accurately which gives him one trait more than the foreign, brown envelope one.
That last minute effort could have given us a very welcome 3 points.

Is there something you are not telling us? :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season