Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnet (H) - League - Saturday 24/02/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Good result against a poor side who tried to play football. Cooper and Harper made a huge difference, we finally had a threat down both wings.

Dobson had a poor first half, but a terrific second half, Dann was tremendous except for his slip that let Allen in for their first.

Westwood shouldn't have started if he wasn't fit. Sam played well again and seemed to thrive on having inward movement from the wings to support the forward [something which Wright and Fox havent got the ability or drive to do].

Wright came on, played on the left at first and did nothing, then on the right, and did nothing, until in the last couple of minutes he was set free down the right, cut inside, and hit a decent left footed shot - he should really have hit the target, but he tried to place it so fair enough.

Still need some strengthening at the back because despite the 4-1 score, if they had been any good, they could have had another two or three goals. We looked very shaky at the back, despite constantly putting every man behind the ball. In midfield Dobson had a decent 2nd half, and Keates was alright, but that area must be strengthened with some height and physical strength for the run in.

'Better late than never' for the new signings, just a massive shame they didn't come before we gave our lead away.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:37 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:Now we've signed 2 quality players..4-1 Walsall :)

:D :D :D

2 Quality players in..MASSIVE diffrence !

The bandwagon rolls on..UP THE SADDLERS

handsworth saddler

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:54 pm

Better, better just so much better. Excellent signings by DD

Up the saddlers!!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:38 pm

Dobson - Brilliant.

Tpdays was about the wing play, and what me and people like phil have been saying for a long time, the wings were the problem! And its ok, i can hear your apologies, its ok honestly! :D

What a superb performance, the only change i would go with is someone to replace keates, because for me, keates and dobson cant play together. But we were playign Barnet, who had more attacking threat than an otter call henry.

Well done lads, and well done DD! :D

sj
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:38 pm

Enjoyed that-- Cooperman and Harper, simple give and go. Just hope we hang on to em.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:WM report that at least two so called Walsall supporters left the ground when Barnet took the lead and then made the effort to text news of their exit to WM.

What kind of world do these people live in? Leave after 20 minutes if you must but why text WM?? Just makes Walsall FC sound like a laughing stock.

Sorry I just don't get it.

WM said the two texters had actually left because they'd "seen enough of Dobson". Have to say that at that stage of the game he had been rather poor again, winning the ball well but frequently wasting it with terrible distribution. But to leave like that and then publicise the fact was plain stupid. Dobbo certainly improved as the game went on, and those two must feel like right idiots tonight, and deservedly so.

Second-half I thought he was great, and finally we saw him drive forward and fire a 20 yard shot narrowly over. The same sort of run that he was making when he picked up that horrible head injury early in the season, and maybe that's been a phsychological barrier for him, because this was the first time I'd seen him do that in a long time.

From that moment he looked a totally different player, as if all that lost confidence had flooded back, and to top it off he scored the goal with a good strong challenge to glance a header into the net. From then on, he sprayed the ball around with great accuracy and it's to be hoped this is what he needed to bring the ability back to the surface.

Would have been my MoM, but I guess two goals and a fine performance from Kevin Harper just shaded it.

How nice to really enjoy a weekend for a change, it's all set me up nicely for a meal out with the family tonight. Y-E-S-S-S-S-S ! :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Gerrard and Lampard?

Is keates and Dobson the real problem :D

Ian Gittins

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:54 pm

I wonder if we can Name and Shame those two ridiculous fans? They surely deserve to occupy the same place in Saddlers iconography as that gormless twit at the Wolves with the You Let Us Down Again banner.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:07 pm

YES!

Eat my second half goals!

London Saddler

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Excellent performance and great win. Barnet are a tricky side to play against and beat Swindon a few days ago

Well done to everyone at the club for the excellent 2 loan signings and they were both very good today, and i think they will get better with a few more games under their belts. Cooper played a big role in the 1st goal and Harper scored 2

All the players worked hard and showed superb character from coming back from one goal down. I would give MOM to Dobson today. After what happened against Lincoln, full marks for RM for picking him and full marks to Dobson for an immense performance

Defensively we were sound and apart from the goal we conceded, i cannot rememeber Barnet (except for a free header put wide) having a shot on target. In midfield, we passed the ball well and attacked at pace. The strikers looked dangerous and in truth we could have scored a few more

Some of our promotion rivals won (Hartlepool, Swindon) but others dropped points (Lincoln, MKD, Wycombe) so a good day. With Accrington, Chester, Hereford, Bury and Wrexham still to visit Bescot, automatic promotion is in our hands and we will do it

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:23 pm

First half was a bit better than of late with the new signings showing promise. Second half was great. Pass and move, pass and move.... and it only bloomingwell worked! I thought Harper deserved his MOM, but Cooper also did well. Dobson had a much better game, and his applauding of the crowd right at the end was with his head held high... and so it should be. Weakest link today was Pead, who is never a right back in a month of sundays!!! I thought Gerrard and Dann did Ok at the back when you consider their ages - a few shakey moments - but when you score 4 goals, that becomes less of a problem.

Atmosphere in the second half is one of the bext for a long time.

UTS

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:27 pm

aldridge steve wrote:First half was a bit better than of late with the new signings showing promise. Second half was great. Pass and move, pass and move.... and it only bloomingwell worked! I thought Harper deserved his MOM, but Cooper also did well. Dobson had a much better game, and his applauding of the crowd right at the end was with his head held high... and so it should be. Weakest link today was Pead, who is never a right back in a month of sundays!!! I thought Gerrard and Dann did Ok at the back when you consider their ages - a few shakey moments - but when you score 4 goals, that becomes less of a problem.

UTS

Agree with virtually all of that, Steve, but didn't want to criticise individuals in the match report after a good performance. As you know, I've never rated Pead as a full back.

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:30 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:First half was a bit better than of late with the new signings showing promise. Second half was great. Pass and move, pass and move.... and it only bloomingwell worked! I thought Harper deserved his MOM, but Cooper also did well. Dobson had a much better game, and his applauding of the crowd right at the end was with his head held high... and so it should be. Weakest link today was Pead, who is never a right back in a month of sundays!!! I thought Gerrard and Dann did Ok at the back when you consider their ages - a few shakey moments - but when you score 4 goals, that becomes less of a problem.

UTS

Agree with virtually all of that, Steve, but didn't want to criticise individuals in the match report after a good performance. As you know, I've never rated Pead as a full back.

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

Blimey... I am honored :lol:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:42 pm

Much better, im glad I decided to go in the end.

I bet that will give DD a selection headache, whether to stick with Harper on the wing or play him upfront on a very wide pitch.

jack-the-lad

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Well well well, that was a lot better. But for once it wasn't our attacking play that worried me, it was our defence that appeared shaky. I thought we started the game quite brightly, new signings Harper and Cooper showed a bit of class straight away. We passed the ball well and looked like a top of the table team, it's amazing what a bit of pass and move and one-two's do to teams; something so simple is so effective. I thought after their goal we were going to go back to how we have been of late and crawl back in our shells and have no good attacking play. It was the opposite that happened, Cooper's shot for sure was lucky to get a touch off their knob captain and it was good to get in at half time at 1-1. In the second half we came out brave and drove forward looking for the 2nd. Dobson's excellent header from a Keates' set piece was just how we had to start. After that, Harper came to life and for his first goal, the link up play with butler was fantastic. His second goal very well taken, smashed into the net, showed everyone how it should be done. However, worrying moments after that when Barnet could have scored twice, this needs to be addressed; we can't get away with that every game!

Ince - Shaky, looked nothing like early season Ince (commanding and dominant in his area) but instead seemed to be lacking confidence

Pead - Some neat touches, but some mistakes too

Fox - Made a few good tackles but rarely had much to do, a quiet game for him

Dann - His usual dominant self, fantastic in the air, good on the ground and very powerful. How long are we going to be able to keep hold of him for?

Gerrard - A couple of mistakes in the first half but overall he played well

Harper - Couldn't be arsed to get back and caught out of position a few times but when he had the ball he was electric

Cooper - Quality in the first half, a class above but didn't get in the game at all in the second. Very good addition to our squad

Dobson - Not a good first half but second half was outstanding. Played like a captain, broke up opposition moves and looked like the engine of the team

Keates - He continues to work and battle and scrap and his set pieces were brilliant, but still undecided about whether he can play with Dobson.

Sam - Not the best of Hector today. A little off the pace but I'm still a big fan

Butler - A class act. Nuff said

Subs:
Wright - Didn't look good at all, took him a while to get into the game but in the last ten minutes was very bright

Cederqvist - Annoys me, lazy

I think we're back on track people :D Up the Saddlers!

Greg WP

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:55 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:I wonder if we can Name and Shame those two ridiculous fans? They surely deserve to occupy the same place in Saddlers iconography as that gormless twit at the Wolves with the You Let Us Down Again banner.

Are we certain they left and they weren't trying to make some sort of point? I have doubts about the authenticity of this story. Superb suppprt today. Well done to everyone who joined in.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:00 pm

Walsall 4-1 Barnet.

A great performance from the lads today. However, I only have time to discuss the players performance and ratings.

Starting 11:

Incey - Confident display despite having little to do, had no chance with their goal. 7.

Christine - Looked a little shaky, before he was taken off with niggling injury. 6.
Gezza - Again, looked shaky early on, but grew in confidence as the game wore on. 7.
Zi-Dann - Unfortunate slip led to their goal, but apart from that he was great as usual. 8.
Foxy - Some mis-placed passes in the first half, but was better after the break. 7.

Harper - Looked dangerous with his running and crossing. Crowned his debut with two good goals. 9.
Dobbo - Much better today. Passing was more accurate and scored with a great header. 8.
Deano - Covered every inch of grass across the pitch. Excellent set-pieces led to two goals being scored. 8.
Cooper(man) - Another great debut performance and gave us options down the wing. 8.

The Butler - Missed a couple of good opportunities, but worked hard as ever. 8.
Sambo - Indifferent display as he combined some neat touches with some mis-placed passes. 7.

Subs:

Peady - Came on early for Christine and settled well at right-back. 7.
Washer (Wrighty) - Struggled on the left, but when switched to the right he improved and nearly scored with a good curling effort. 7.
Cederqvuist - Late appearance and so had little time to make an impact. 6.

Barnet star man?

Has to be Oliver Allen who took advantage of Zi-Dann's slip to put the visitors ahead. (Also thanks to Ian Hendon for wrongfooting their keeper to put us back on level terms!) :wink:

It's a tricky (and very long) trip to in-form Darlington next weekend so we'll need to play as well as we did today in order for us to get a result. So, hopefully, it's onwards and upwards from now on and my last words are a salute to the MK Dongs manager:

Allen, Allen, what's the score?
Allen, Allen, what's the score?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:07 pm

The two new signings made all the difference. Cooper was the best player on the pitch by a long way when he got the ball. The fact that we had 2 players capable of performing in the final third meant that Dobson could do his role very well indeed, particularly in the second half, whilst Keates ran around like a headless chicken.

Let's get things straight - their goal was a very lucky one. Allen seemed to be running into a sea of red shirts and going nowhere until Dann slipped over and he was through one-on-one. These things happen. Yes, it was unfortunate, and let's remember, it was their first shot on goal, and one of only two mentionable chances they had in the 90 minutes.

The move which led to Harper's first goal was terrific. I don't think you'll see better movement and link-up play around the 18 yard box outside of the upper half of the Championship. Clinical finishing for both of Harper's goals too.

One thing that was noticeable today was that everyone seemed more composed on the ball. Chances are, this was because they knew that they were likely to have more options available to them.

All in all, a fantastic display. If we keep Cooper and Harper until the end of the season, we'll go up. I have no doubt about that. Money deserved the brilliant reception he got today for bringing those players in. The Barnet fans on the train on the way back were saying that we're the best side they've seen all season.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:14 pm

What a relief. Second half we played some great stuff and we could have easily had more.

As supporters we stuck with em as well and got our reward. The quality and quantity of our support seems inversley proportionate these days, so here's hoping we don't see more than 5000 there again this season.

Looking fowrad to darlo next week already.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:27 pm

jack-the-lad wrote:Well well well, that was a lot better. But for once it wasn't our attacking play that worried me, it was our defence that appeared shaky. I thought we started the game quite brightly, new signings Harper and Cooper showed a bit of class straight away. We passed the ball well and looked like a top of the table team, it's amazing what a bit of pass and move and one-two's do to teams; something so simple is so effective. I thought after their goal we were going to go back to how we have been of late and crawl back in our shells and have no good attacking play. It was the opposite that happened, Cooper's shot for sure was lucky to get a touch off their knob captain and it was good to get in at half time at 1-1. In the second half we came out brave and drove forward looking for the 2nd. Dobson's excellent header from a Keates' set piece was just how we had to start. After that, Harper came to life and for his first goal, the link up play with butler was fantastic. His second goal very well taken, smashed into the net, showed everyone how it should be done. However, worrying moments after that when Barnet could have scored twice, this needs to be addressed; we can't get away with that every game!

Ince - Shaky, looked nothing like early season Ince (commanding and dominant in his area) but instead seemed to be lacking confidence

Pead - Some neat touches, but some mistakes too

Fox - Made a few good tackles but rarely had much to do, a quiet game for him

Dann - His usual dominant self, fantastic in the air, good on the ground and very powerful. How long are we going to be able to keep hold of him for?

Gerrard - A couple of mistakes in the first half but overall he played well

Harper - Couldn't be arsed to get back and caught out of position a few times but when he had the ball he was electric

Cooper - Quality in the first half, a class above but didn't get in the game at all in the second. Very good addition to our squad

Dobson - Not a good first half but second half was outstanding. Played like a captain, broke up opposition moves and looked like the engine of the team

Keates - He continues to work and battle and scrap and his set pieces were brilliant, but still undecided about whether he can play with Dobson.

Sam - Not the best of Hector today. A little off the pace but I'm still a big fan

Butler - A class act. Nuff said

Subs:
Wright - Didn't look good at all, took him a while to get into the game but in the last ten minutes was very bright

Cederqvist - Annoys me, lazy

I think we're back on track people :D Up the Saddlers!

Good point Dave, I thought the same during the match. What will happen when the opposition have a good winger and it reqires Harper to cover the right back? But we shall save that debate for when it happens, Harper is back and my god he made an entrance.

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:34 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:All in all, a fantastic display. If we keep Cooper and Harper until the end of the season, we'll go up. I have no doubt about that. Money deserved the brilliant reception he got today for bringing those players in.

....I feel a bit of credit could go to Bonser here too. Can't see either of those players being particually cheap, well done for backing Money when he needed it, Mr Bonser.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:35 pm

I'm astonished by some of the comments on this thread, considering that our hopes - lifted by the signings in the week - were well and truly realised against an outclassed Barnet side. Before we go any further, its worth pointing out this Barnet team has beaten Cardiff, Northampton, Swindon, Hartlepool, Colchester, Shrewsbury and Notts County this season - you could add MK Dons to that list, were it not for a last-minute equaliser.

We were shaky in defence? I'm sorry, I just don't buy that. Their goal came from Dann slipping on the wet turf and was their only chance in the first half. Oliver Allen, who scored, caused Swindon problems all night on Tuesday and yet he hardly had a sniff after that. They then had a free header when we were 4-1 up and coasting, and also we gifted them a chance because of Clayton's regular shaky moment. Apart from that we were rock-solid at the back and Gerrard, who - because of his name - some people love to hate, hardly put a foot wrong all afternoon. Three 20-year-olds in that back line, very promising for the future.

I do agree with all the comments praising Dobson, who did everything he had to from about the 30-minute mark onwards. If I were a Barnet fan, I'd have been thinking 'I wish that bald ****** in the middle would stop breaking up all our attacks'. Led by example, and thoroughly deserved his goal.

It certainly helped Dobson that he had some outlets to pass to today. Cooper and Harper were, quite obviously, a class apart with their vision, movement and distribution. Of course, it showed up some of the lack of quality in our wing play earlier in the season - but that was obviously going to be the case. These are Championship players. If you threw a Championship-quality striker in up front instead of Butler then he'd improve the side, but that wouldn't be a reason to denigrate Butler's contribution to the team so far this season.

I do think we need another central midfielder. Keates gives his all every match and you always know what you are going to get from him, but that isn't quite enough. It would be OK if we had a different player in the middle with him, but we could really do with some better quality offensively alongside Dobson. I doubt this is a change that Money would make, though, as he made some comments on WM after the game about the importance of being disciplined defensively if we are going to play with two wingers.

However - the thing that pleased me most about today was the contribution Money made to our victory. He took off Sam in the second half and rather than bringing on Cederqvist (who was really poor again, I'm afraid to say) he brought on Wright and moved Harper up front. About 2 minutes later, Harper is able to run straight through the middle and plays a lovely one-two with Butler to score. Tactical victory for the manager, well done Dickie.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:22 pm

southern saddler wrote:what an absolute disgrace --- this is getting ridiculous

Shocking stuff - total disgrace and extremely ridiculous.

(I'm talking about your post :lol: :lol: :lol: )

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:57 pm

Could apply to all his posts if you look at them. Is he another cunning winder upper?

SWS1

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:47 pm

Wot a crap predictor you are, Bill Bones. How come you couldn't get the scorers right? And I bet you didn't know the exact crowd yesterday, nor how many balti pies were sold! Useless! :wink:

larryhaggler

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:47 am

OOOhhh feek the quality. The new boys never wated a pass or a cross. Ball to feet, pass and move, hold it rather than lump it ! I just knew these boys would make a huge difference. In fact the the only wasted cross / pass, took place after 82 mins, guess who wastwd in MW ! The new fella's lifted us and proved some of us right, that our current incumbent are not even good enough for dividion 4 !
I'm a happy supporter today, please WFC extend the loans or make offers ! 50K would do SJoke !

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:14 am

Nice to get back to winning ways , my only concern was panic in set when we conceded , we gave the ball away a were very sloopy , a bit of luck for our first goal but its about time something went our way.

Of the new boys Cooper looked real quality , faded a bit in the second half , that could be due to lack of match fitness .
Harper , brilliant, linked up well with Sam and Butler , nice one twos .
his first goal was a brilliant piece of play , everybody looked for the pass to Keates on his left, but Harper found Butler on the right his return pass was magic great stuff.

Don't know what DD said to Dobson at half time , but second half our captain was outstanding, of the rest

Ince- did'nt have a lot to do
Pead- no more a full back than aunt Mary
Fox- his best game for ages
Gerrard- did ok might struggle against better opposition
Dann - excellent
Keates- worked hard but lacks strenght
Butler- hard working as ever , should have done better with an header from a great run and cross from Harper
Sam - linked up well with the new lads
Westwood - should'nt have statred clearly not fit
Wright - 1 great run a shot late on unlucky
Cederqvist - still hoping a goal will change him .

Overall much better , we can now face the rest of the season with more confidence.
Last edited by Duke on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realdelboydandg

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:29 am

philthesaddler wrote:Good result against a poor side who tried to play football. Cooper and Harper made a huge difference, we finally had a threat down both wings.

Dobson had a poor first half, but a terrific second half, Dann was tremendous except for his slip that let Allen in for their first.

Westwood shouldn't have started if he wasn't fit. Sam played well again and seemed to thrive on having inward movement from the wings to support the forward [something which Wright and Fox havent got the ability or drive to do].

Wright came on, played on the left at first and did nothing, then on the right, and did nothing, until in the last couple of minutes he was set free down the right, cut inside, and hit a decent left footed shot - he should really have hit the target, but he tried to place it so fair enough.

Still need some strengthening at the back because despite the 4-1 score, if they had been any good, they could have had another two or three goals. We looked very shaky at the back, despite constantly putting every man behind the ball. In midfield Dobson had a decent 2nd half, and Keates was alright, but that area must be strengthened with some height and physical strength for the run in.

'Better late than never' for the new signings, just a massive shame they didn't come before we gave our lead away.

Well said. Couldn't be more pleased with the result and the improved performance, but this should have been done at least in January and not after all the fans getting on his back, but credit where credit is due. It's now that matters and if this really is a turning point then great - bring it on! How come one good result means that everything is sorted and all in the garden is rosy, when one bad performance is just that? Not trying to be negative but there are still problems that need attention. As for the two supporters who left the ground after 20 minutes, they paid their money and they are entitled to leave when they want to - it's them who missed four goals so why does it affect anyone else? It doesn't make them any less a Walsall fan. Leave them alone!!!!!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:32 am

realdelboydandg wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Good result against a poor side who tried to play football. Cooper and Harper made a huge difference, we finally had a threat down both wings.

Well said. Couldn't be more pleased with the result and the improved performance, but this should have been done at least in January and not after all the fans getting on his back, but credit where credit is due. It's now that matters and if this really is a turning point then great - bring it on! How come one good result means that everything is sorted and all in the garden is rosy, when one bad performance is just that? Not trying to be negative but there are still problems that need attention. As for the two supporters who left the ground after 20 minutes, they paid their money and they are entitled to leave when they want to - it's them who missed four goals so why does it affect anyone else? It doesn't make them any less a Walsall fan. Leave them alone!!!!!

So its you!!! Your one of them! :twisted:

:D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:03 am

realdelboydandg wrote:

Well said. Couldn't be more pleased with the result and the improved performance, but this should have been done at least in January and not after all the fans getting on his back, but credit where credit is due. It's now that matters and if this really is a turning point then great - bring it on! How come one good result means that everything is sorted and all in the garden is rosy, when one bad performance is just that? Not trying to be negative but there are still problems that need attention. As for the two supporters who left the ground after 20 minutes, they paid their money and they are entitled to leave when they want to - it's them who missed four goals so why does it affect anyone else? It doesn't make them any less a Walsall fan. Leave them alone!!!!![/quote]

Was it you by any chance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I know it's their choice, but anyone who leaves a match early is a bit silly.... but to leave after 20 minutes knowing full well how we have been perfoming of late when they came to the game is even more ridiculous... more fool them I say!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season