Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnet (H) - League - Saturday 24/02/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:02 pm

I going to surprise a few people by saying I thought the Keates/Dobson partnership worked much better yesterday, after about half an hour in. What happened was that, as Harper and Cooper got more into the game, there was less need for Keates to get forward, as they always had an outlet on the flanks. Accordingly, Keates played a little deeper, Dobson wasn't isolated in front of our back four and Keates wasn't on his own in front of their back four. Result? Much more solid midfield and both played better, Dobson outstandingly well. The problem has been down the flanks all the time, I'm afraid to say.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ass-shows/

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I going to surprise a few people by saying I thought the Keates/Dobson partnership worked much better yesterday, after about half an hour in. What happened was that, as Harper and Cooper got more into the game, there was less need for Keates to get forward, as they always had an outlet on the flanks. Accordingly, Keates played a little deeper, Dobson wasn't isolated in front of our back four and Keates wasn't on his own in front of their back four. Result? Much more solid midfield and both played better, Dobson outstandingly well. The problem has been down the flanks all the time, I'm afraid to say.

Yes, I would agree with that Neil. Whilst I agree that they worked well together yesterday, I would still like to bring in an extra midfielder to replace Keates. I think he struggles to have much of an impact and has a tendency to run around a lot without contributing much. If we can get someone in with that extra bit of composure and ability in terms of distribution, we can improve the supply to Harper and Cooper even further.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Why is everyone trying to replace Keates ? Scored from two of his set pieces again yesterday, and in all honesty i thought he had a decent game.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:02 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Why is everyone trying to replace Keates ? Scored from two of his set pieces again yesterday, and in all honesty i thought he had a decent game.

That was my point. I'm no great fan of his, but, on that performance, we'll be OK.

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Why is everyone trying to replace Keates ? Scored from two of his set pieces again yesterday, and in all honesty i thought he had a decent game.

I agree with ya!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:13 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Tpdays was about the wing play, and what me and people like phil have been saying for a long time, the wings were the problem! And its ok, i can hear your apologies, its ok honestly! :D

Completely agree that was the difference but there's absolutely no need for me or anyone else to apologise. We have been every lucky for our manager to attract and Chairman to pay a lot of wages for TWO Championship players playing TWO levels below their current level.

Mark Wright, Ishmel and others who have played on the wings this season are good at League Two level but they're not players who are good enough to play at Premiership level like the two new players in the past. Give credit to Money and Bonser rather than dissing the players who play for us on long term contracts. I will be very happy indeed if we can attract both permanently as they will be playing below their natural level even if we get promoted, but that remains to be seen.

The whole team seemed lifted by their arrival. I didn't think we looked suspect in defence like some, the goal we conceded was unlucky, but for that another clean sheet would have been added.

I also agree with Neil and Saus about Dobson and Keates, they looked much more comfortable sitting with the knowledge that they could lay a simple ball to Harper or Cooper to do the damage going forward, like all midfields should work. Dobson had his best game for ages and seemed much more confident going forward especially in the second half, like early season. The one was excellent and he was unfortunate to just miss the target from the edge of the box. Because Keates didn't have to go forward as often he was using his energy for what he does best, being a pain in the bum terrier to close down and harry opposition players and taking excellent set pieces which most teams in this division would take him for alone.

Butler and Sam linked up well with the new boys but neither were at the top of their game in my opinion buy Butler worked very hard second half chasing lost balls.

Cooper looked better in the first half in my opinion and Harper better in the second even when he went up front, I was surprised how pacy Cooper was.

In one game we looked like we could beat anyone, the confidence returned, the goals flowed and the fans sang. Continue like that and we will get automatic promotion if not the title. Credit to the players, the Chairman, the fans and the manager who has obviously taken fans comments on board with our request to attack more, not just because of the signings but because of the attacking players on the bench also.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I going to surprise a few people by saying I thought the Keates/Dobson partnership worked much better yesterday, after about half an hour in. What happened was that, as Harper and Cooper got more into the game, there was less need for Keates to get forward, as they always had an outlet on the flanks. Accordingly, Keates played a little deeper, Dobson wasn't isolated in front of our back four and Keates wasn't on his own in front of their back four. Result? Much more solid midfield and both played better, Dobson outstandingly well. The problem has been down the flanks all the time, I'm afraid to say.

Ahhhhh, I can hear the chants now..."It's just like watching Brazil"!!! Two holding midfielders who actually hold and release others to be the creative ones appears to work for us as well then!! This certainly is a better use of those two players if they play together in the middle. Part of the problem of all the poor performances and mistakes against Lincoln and other teams recently has been due (in some part!) to the fact that midfield has been non-existant, Keates has tried to play a more forward role at times, not been in the game for long periods and left Dobson exposed too much and inevitably making mistakes under pressure. Play Keates in his more natural position and he will be much more effective, and so will our whole midfield...oh, this is of course if we have the wide outlets working properly!!

Be interesting to see if we stick with the same formation and style of play in our away games that are coming up, or if we will be a bit more conservative again. I guess you have to play 'em if you've got 'em - no point expensive bottoms sitting on the bench...unless you're chelsea of course!!

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:24 pm

Much, much better. Pace, passing & attacking intent, just what the doctor ordered. It's been my main gripe this season that we are easily good enough to pass 90% of the teams in this division off the park. Proved yesterday.

I still would feel happier with a bit of class in central midfield, but can't really pick any faults from the second half display of Dobson & Keates/. Keates may very well 'run around like a headless chicken' (Copyright DZ 2001, 2002, 2006,2007 :wink: ) but when he's on his game he ain't half a pain in the ar$e to the opposition players. I bet they think 'oh fudge off, and leave me alone".

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:27 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Much, much better. Pace, passing & attacking intent, just what the doctor ordered. It's been my main gripe this season that we are easily good enough to pass 90% of the teams in this division off the park. Proved yesterday.

I still would feel happier with a bit of class in central midfield, but can't really pick any faults from the second half display of Dobson & Keates/. Keates may very well 'run around like a headless chicken' (Copyright DZ 2001, 2002, 2006,2007 :wink: ) but when he's on his game he ain't half a pain in the ar$e to the opposition players. I bet they think 'oh flip off, and leave me alone".

Keates had a good game in my opinion, His set piece delivery proved vital again, and was a constant menace, Think he gets more stick than he deserves somtimes.

Nice to see Dobson proving me wrong yesterday, looked like a footballer again second half.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:51 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:Much, much better. Pace, passing & attacking intent, just what the doctor ordered. It's been my main gripe this season that we are easily good enough to pass 90% of the teams in this division off the park. Proved yesterday.

I still would feel happier with a bit of class in central midfield, but can't really pick any faults from the second half display of Dobson & Keates/. Keates may very well 'run around like a headless chicken' (Copyright DZ 2001, 2002, 2006,2007 :wink: ) but when he's on his game he ain't half a pain in the ar$e to the opposition players. I bet they think 'oh flip off, and leave me alone".

Keates had a good game in my opinion, His set piece delivery proved vital again, and was a constant menace, Think he gets more stick than he deserves somtimes.

Nice to see Dobson proving me wrong yesterday, looked like a footballer again second half.

Yes, sos, I also am totally happy that Dobson made me eat my words yesterday. More performances like that until the end of the season and I may even forget the crap earlier in the season :lol:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:52 am

An Excellent performance.

Kevin Harper will have grabbed the headlines, but for me Cooper looks real quality. I just wished he had received more of the ball in the second half. His passing and movement were a cut above this division, and I can't really remember him failing to find a team mate. Harper had a great game too. DD's got a great double signing in these two.

Dann was unluck with his slip, just one of those rare things that happens to a player, hopefully that won't damage his confidence. Dobson improved thoughout the game, and I was well chuffed for him that he managed to grab a goal.

Where we were sitting there seemed to be a contingent of Belgian fellas next too us, was that Duvelken and friends by any chance? . One of them enjoyed thre game so much they fell asleep at half time :lol:

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:56 am

Didn't read all the posts in this thread but here's my opinion. First half: CRAP and especially Dobson :roll:
Second half: very good and especially DOBSON or how things can change!!! Still lots of things to improve but I think if they keep playing like that second half, promotion is ours!!!
Atmosphere was the best of all our visits and I'm sure players heard the support after the barnet goal and that encouraged them!!
Lowest attendance of all our visits and i must say, as long as I only could follow it on the board i couldn't understand it. But after hearing from Dave and Steve that the first half was even better then last games, I start to understand it. But still, the team needs you all to win promotion.
See ya all next time, probably the Swindon away-game!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:25 am

duvelken wrote:Didn't read all the posts in this thread but here's my opinion. First half: CRAP and especially Dobson :roll:
Second half: very good and especially DOBSON or how things can change!!! Still lots of things to improve but I think if they keep playing like that second half, promotion is ours!!!
Atmosphere was the best of all our visits and I'm sure players heard the support after the barnet goal and that encouraged them!!
Lowest attendance of all our visits and i must say, as long as I only could follow it on the board i couldn't understand it. But after hearing from Dave and Steve that the first half was even better then last games, I start to understand it. But still, the team needs you all to win promotion.

Glad you enjoyed it mate!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:27 pm

derbysaddler wrote:
Where we were sitting there seemed to be a contingent of Belgian fellas next too us, was that Duvelken and friends by any chance? . One of them enjoyed thre game so much they fell asleep at half time :lol:

I noticed the flag in Duvelken avatar waving around a lot , did'nt get chance to say hi, maybe next time.

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:29 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Where we were sitting there seemed to be a contingent of Belgian fellas next too us, was that Duvelken and friends by any chance? . One of them enjoyed thre game so much they fell asleep at half time :lol:

That must have been us Middle Block 3. That fella was a bit tired, me and the 2nd driver didn't sleep at all, the others only a few hours so 1st half wasn't too exciting wasn't it??? I'm sure he was awake in 2nd half though!!!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 am

Yeah that was it Duvelken, row C we were on. It was my friends only second Walsall game, so he was quite surprised to see a squad of Flemish Saddlers there :D .

I told him its because Walsall is loved across the globe!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:55 am

derbysaddler wrote:Yeah that was it Duvelken, row C we were on. It was my friends only second Walsall game, so he was quite surprised to see a squad of Flemish Saddlers there :D .

I told him its because Walsall is loved across the globe!

You mean Glebe? :lol:

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:52 pm

duvelken wrote:Didn't read all the posts in this thread but here's my opinion. First half: CRAP and especially Dobson :roll:

Good Choice.. :wink:

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season