Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport County (A) League Tuesday 20/2/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
kevwill

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:21 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:DD: We realise we must do something and quick. Hope the something is some good

I hope it's a damn sight quicker than the realisation. Does he not have broadband? Does it really take dial-up three months to get through to UTS?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:22 pm

futuresobright wrote:We need to get out of this league. Failure to go up is every bit as bad as relegation last season. Recent form indicates that it is unlikely that the present manager will be able to achieve promotion. Can anyone point out reasons to remain positive that I am missing?
He is talking about bringing in new players. Why now when it has obvious for months the squad he has built was seriously lacking. And what was that jolly abroad all about?
Now if we don't go up, does anyone want another season of ugly football and moaning from Mr Touchy?
I truly hope Bonser acts now.

You have become the biggest twerp on this board. Just keep your fingers in a plug socket or something, they would be more useful there than typing on a keyboard.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:33 pm

The only good thing about tonight is the Lincoln/Swindon defeats and the late Mansfield equaliser at the Dongs.

We are still in it, but the Barnet match is a MUST WIN now. It all depends on what we can do to strengthen the squad in the next few days. I'm beginning to think that if we do not make the desired couple of quality signings - in midfield along with an additional wide right option - we've had it. In terms of automatic promotion anyway. I'm not entirely convinced that DD can come up with the goods on this either, as his track record on signings, it has to be said, is not great:

Picken..injured constantly after a good debut...

Lyall..unproven, but if he was up-to-standard he would be playing now

Bedeau..not reproduced what he did at Torquay

Cederqvist..how anyone expected big things from this guy straight away when he was plying his trade in the Norwegian Second Division is beyond me

Butler..inspired signing overall

Dobson..good start, but has suffered due to lack of quality alongside him

Sam..I get the impression that he kind of fell into our lap but has overall been good if frustrating/lazy at times

Sorry to be negative, folks, but that's how I feel.

UTS

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:42 pm

I really think I should make sure I get to the match on Saturday.....Haven;t been able to attend the last 3 with one thing and another, and they have lost them all!!
:shock:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 pm

BathSaddler wrote:The only good thing about tonight is the Lincoln/Swindon defeats and the late Mansfield equaliser at the Dongs.

We are still in it, but the Barnet match is a MUST WIN now. It all depends on what we can do to strengthen the squad in the next few days. I'm beginning to think that if we do not make the desired couple of quality signings - in midfield along with an additional wide right option - we've had it. In terms of automatic promotion anyway. I'm not entirely convinced that DD can come up with the goods on this either, as his track record on signings, it has to be said, is not great:

Cederqvist..how anyone expected big things from this guy straight away when he was plying his trade in the Norwegian Second Division is beyond me

Sam..I get the impression that he kind of fell into our lap but has overall been good if frustrating/lazy at times

UTS

You have forgotten Carlos Fangueiro and Tommy Wright. No complaints about the goalkeepers he signed, but the two outfield players you forgot have not been great.

That means that Money has brought 9 outfield players to the club. Only one of them, Butler is a definite hit. Picken, Lyall, Bedeau, Tommy Wright, Fangueiro are outright flops, Sam - sometimes seems good enough, Dobson - a defender played out of positiion, Cederqvist - jury still out. That is not a great success rate.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:53 pm

futuresobright wrote:Mr Touchy must go. Tonight was a real test of his motivational ability and tactical nounce. He failed it miserably. The fans who went are outraged. WM commentators couldn't pick a man of the match and described the performance as poor. Four wins out of 14 games. Five points out of 21. We hardly make a scoring chance in a joke of league. He constantly brings in players worse than the ones who took us down. He refuses to pick our young, creative players. This man is not going to take us up. Do we really want him next season? No. Get rid of him now and get someone in who can bring a smile back to Bescot and some passion in the players.

Bring back Colin Lee!
He would get us up!
:wink:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:56 pm

Bernie wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:The only good thing about tonight is the Lincoln/Swindon defeats and the late Mansfield equaliser at the Dongs.

UTS

You have forgotten Carlos Fangueiro and Tommy Wright. No complaints about the goalkeepers he signed, but the two outfield players you forgot have not been great.

That means that Money has brought 9 outfield players to the club. Only one of them, Butler is a definite hit. Picken, Lyall, Bedeau, Tommy Wright, Fangueiro are outright flops, Sam - sometimes seems good enough, Dobson - a defender played out of positiion, Cederqvist - jury still out. That is not a great success rate.

Can't believe I missed Ince and Tommy Wright :shock: , and would tend to agree with your assessments. However, Fangueiro, he would be easy to miss would'nt he?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:07 pm

Stop moaning - we are in the automatic promotion places :lol: :lol: :lol:

IGMC

:wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:07 pm

Coat got - I'm off before anyone shouts at me....................

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:45 pm

Just got back - It was crap.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:47 pm

My only concern tonight was Ince bringing down one of them f**kin planes.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:50 pm

So how long with this blip last? Is it still a blip or is it a slump? Was the blip actually the first 4 months of the season, and normal service has now resumed?

So many questions ......

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:09 am

An appalling display against a typical 'head the ball' team. No tactics, no midfield, no creativity, no passing, no shots, no challenges, no concentration, no skill, no chance.
What a waste of time and effort once again for the ever dwindling band of fans I see week in week out following this club around the country. Cederqvist is useless, Pead was weak, caught on the ball numerous times, Dobson lost most of his challenges, Fox crap, R2D2 totally out of his depth and the rest ???? I can't be bothered to even comment.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:11 am

Cully wrote:An appalling display against a typical 'head the ball' team. No tactics, no midfield, no creativity, no passing, no shots, no challenges, no concentration, no skill, no chance.
What a waste of time and effort once again for the ever dwindling band of fans I see week in week out following this club around the country. Cederqvist is useless, Pead was weak, caught on the ball numerous times, Dobson lost most of his challenges, Fox crap, R2D2 totally out of his depth and the rest ???? I can't be bothered to even comment.

Who's R2D2 ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:18 am

Cully wrote:An appalling display against a typical 'head the ball' team. No tactics, no midfield, no creativity, no passing, no shots, no challenges, no concentration, no skill, no chance.

Have to agree Cully - we were cr@p - especially in the second half. Did we get a shot in the second half? Perhaps I fell asleep and missed it if we did. Ince ballooning the ball up the pitch whenever he got it and Walsall players watching their Stockport counterparts actually DO something with the ball when it finally fell to earth.

I went back to the Armoury for a "drowning the sorrows" pint afterwards and unbelievably the Stockport fans I spoke to and heard were "delighted at beating a good team". Were they at the same match as me?

I'm utterly dejected and embarrassed at my "bigging up" of DD in the past few days :oops: :oops: :( :( :(

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:23 am

Right just got in, after a not so bad 1st half the players never showed 2nd half.

With Cidershite having a goodish 1st half he did jack shot 2nd half, how can a man of his size and build loose out on balls to a little left back.

Gerrard won a few good headers, but once again he was all over the shopping , making Dann do all the work.

Fox seems to like to hit the ball long into space , maybe he should join the Sale Sharks who play there home games there

Midfield ....... lets not talk about them as the should not be allowed to be a called a midfield

Sam once again the bloke ran his arse off , once again Money took him off, why he took him off and not take Cidershite of I'll never know. Duno why he brought Wracky on the wing , the bloke has got no pace and cannot get past a man

The next 3 days are very important Money has got to get at least 2 players in on loan or I dread to think what will happen

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:25 am

Mmmm, some very interesting 3 or 4 posts from fans actually at the game. Do I hear a penny dropping at long last?

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:31 am

Dave Roe wrote:Mmmm, some very interesting 3 or 4 posts from fans actually at the game. Do I hear a penny dropping at long last?

It be interesting to see what money has to say know. About 350 Walsall fans made the effort to travel to Stockport tonight and it was not cheap I can tell you. The Midfield has been a problem since December and maybe the left wing since August so why has it took to now for Money to release we have a problem . My fear is we get a panic loan player in who could be worse than Barrowman or James

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:33 am

Pedro wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:Mmmm, some very interesting 3 or 4 posts from fans actually at the game. Do I hear a penny dropping at long last?

It be interesting to see what money has to say know. About 350 Walsall fans made the effort to travel to Stockport tonight and it was not cheap I can tell you. The Midfield has been a problem since December and maybe the left wing since August so why has it took to now for Money to release we have a problem . My fear is we get a panic loan player in who could be worse than Barrowman or James

http://upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15417

It would appear you worst nightmare is coming true earlier than you thought.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:34 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:

Who's R2D2 ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tis the midget known locally as Dean Keats. You may have spotted him tonight shortly before he disappeared beneath the blade of grass which was located in square 1.

Did you notice the linesmans size big training shoes [our side 1st half], hilarious :lol:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:35 am

Dave Roe wrote:
Pedro wrote:

http://upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15417

It would appear you worst nightmare is coming true earlier than you thought.

Yes he told me at the game , my first thought was WHOOOOOOO then I brought myself a Bovril

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:44 am

Awful, Absolutley shocking.

Worst i have saw us play this season.

Stewards was complete jobsworths!

:evil:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:47 am

Well, the only thing seperating the two sides tonight was a cross which their striker got on the end of after we'd failed to make our posession count in the final third (as usual).

Dobson, the name on everyone's lips over the weekend had a decent game doing what he's there to do - winning the ball and keeping it simple. I noticed one occasion where he gave the ball away in a similar situation to Friday's and fouled the player he gave the ball away to. People moaned about him fouling the player - personally, I thought it showed he's learned from his mistakes.
Pead was completely invisible alongside him though - he's not good enough.

I thought Cederqvist had a good first half and did what Wright should have been doing in previous weeks. He was making himself available for the ball, tracking back (and notably winning the ball back on a number of ocassions), and winning his headers. Second half, he faded - but how many times did we give him the ball? We completely stopped trying to play the ball on the ground, which we were doing pretty well in last 20 minutes of the first half. All in all, he was an improvement on the drivel we've had to put up with on the right side previously.

Westwood had another solid game, as did Gerrard and Dann to be honest. Fox did alright, but I think he would have played better if had someone more used to playing out wide in front of him than Keates.
We've started to leak goals now, which is a concern. The thing is, the back four in general aren't an issue - it's the fact that we don't keep the ball for long enough in the opposition's half that lets us down. The fact that we have 3 midfield 'spoilers' means that we don't have anyone making runs in the final third - when was the last time we saw one of our midfielders make a run in to the box, beyond the strikers?

Butler was Butler and Sam was Sam. There's not really a lot else to say on that front.

I wonder about the managers tactics when he chooses Wright on the bench rather than Ishmel. Yes, we can all argue cases for or against Wright being in the side, but the fact of the matter is, Ishmel is much more likely to change a game in our favour than Wright is - he's done it a few times this season already.
As soon as we went behind tonight, we didn't know what to do. We offered no threat whatsoever going forward. Wrack came on, but rather than him playing centrally instead of the completely ineffective Pead, he got shoved on the right wing, where he barely saw the ball. We all know he can't play wide any more - if anything, he should play in the middle when we need someone to put their foot on the ball and calm things down.

Our next game is now a must win. We were let of the hook tonight by other teams dropping points. People were coming away from the game tonight gutted that we'd fallen from the top spot. My message would be to forget about that - Hartlepool will win the league. They've hit form at the right time, strengthened their squad where necessary and to put it simply, are better than the other sides at the top. It will please me if they win every game between now and the end of the season - at least that means they'll beat some of our promotion rivals.

We need a central midfielder and a winger now. A case could be made for a striker too, but unless they have something different (i.e. bags of pace) we might as well not bother. We need to improve the supply before we decide whether or not we improve the firepower.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:36 am

well after being in denial for most of the season it seems people are begining to wake up to the facts...(1)...you can count on one hand virtually the times we have outplayed a team this season...(2) DD made a big mistake not getting at least 1 attacking midfielder in the January transfer window...(3)the guy doesn't understand the concept of "ENTERTAINMENT" (4)...I think he will take us to div 1 this season but not as champions and maybe even via the play-offs....(5)...His biggest mistake and one that will come back and haunt him is the way he mouthed off and blamed the fans for everything just the last few days have seen more and more fans having a go at him.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:40 am

sid swifty wrote:well after being in denial for most of the season it seems people are begining to wake up to the facts...(1)...you can count on one hand virtually the times we have outplayed a team this season...(2) DD made a big mistake not getting at least 1 attacking midfielder in the January transfer window...(3)the guy doesn't understand the concept of [b]"ENTERTAINMENT"[/b] (4)...I think he will take us to div 1 this season but not as champions and maybe even via the play-offs....(5)...His biggest mistake and one that will come back and haunt him is the way he mouthed off and blamed the fans for everything just the last few days have seen more and more fans having a go at him.

I found stockport to be entertaining there left winger and right wingers were up and down the pitch all game..there left winger taunted westwood all game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:41 am

I agree with swifty on the fact that if he was going to slag US fans off. He should produce wins.

Im sure he feels like a right TIT.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:25 am

Well I think he has had it with Wright, he has got no confidence in him whatsoever now. Think about it, he has put a striker in his position who has been struggling for form, and brought on an ageing has been on the right instead of him. Would not be surprised to see a right winger come in as well.

London Saddler

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:26 am

Tonight was a home banker even more than the Pool game was. A team that has won several games on the bounce and not conceded a single goal against a team that is collapsing like a pack of cards and struggling to create chances and struggling to score

So onto tonights game. Game was dire and we were unbelievably crap. Stockport created one chance and scored from it. We failed to create one serious chance all game. In the first half, we actually shaded possession but both teams cancelled each other out. The 2nd half Stockport dominated. For the goal, Cederquist received the ball on the right wing in Stockports half. He stopped to think what he should do. Unfortunately no one seems to have told him that this is the 4th division where you do not get time. He was disposessed. Shortly after that the ball was worked onto the Stockport right wing with our left full back no where to be seen. Great cross and with our 2 central defenders marking thin air, a Stockport player from a few yards out from centre of goal smashed ball in leaving Ince with no chance

Our play was simple. We spent the game hoofing the ball onto the heads of their centre halves or hoofing the ball into the corners so their full backs could clear. But we did vary it. Sometinmes we hoofed it out for a throw in or goal kick! I counted 1-2 flowing passing movements in the whole game. With all the best will in the world, it is very hard for any fans to sing and enjoy for full 90 mins when all they get served up, is ale house balls and no goal action nor goal threat. With 5 mins left when Butler had a header go wide, the Walsall fans sang 'We've had a shot, we've had a shot'. I heard plenty of jeers and boos at the final whistle and the fans did not look happy at all

We lined up 4-4-2 with Keates on left wing and Cederquist on right wing and Gerrard in midfield. But Ropes was injured after 5 mins and Pead came on to go in midfield and Gerrard went to centre defence with Dann

Defensively we have lost our ability to keep clean sheets. But we are not defending badly. We are just being underminded by errors in each game which hand the opposition a goal (like Dobson against Lincoln, Ince against Mansfield and Rochdale, Dann against Boston, etc). Tonight, Ince was again hesitant. He dropped a corner early on. Then in 2nd half, he kicked the ball straight to one of their players who nearly had a one on one. Westwood was steady and Dann again was the pick of the defence. Gerrard struggled and a 2nd half error nearly let in a stockport player for one on one. Fox little neds to be said about his performance

In midfield (and i use the term in the loosest sense), Cederqist actually had a couple of decent runs in the 1st half. But he was anonymous in 2nd half and even more anonymous when he went up front. Pead continued to look like a non league player. Keates did nothing and like Fox and Taylor who have played in that position wisely did not try to dribble or outpace the full back and get a cross in as you actually need a proper left winger to try that rather than a full back or defensive midfielders! Dobbo actually won quite a few tackles but predictably had no support and even more predictably did not know what to do with the ball when he had won it

Up front Sam worked hard and quite bizarrely was again subsituted (when it should have been Cederquist) for Wrack who continued to make Wright look like Ronaldinho. Butler was his usual busy self and won loads of free kicks and throw ins in the 1st half but faded due to no service in the 2nd half

2 moments summed up our current problems. Both similar situations. In 1st half we had a break away with Sam. He laid it to Keates. It was almost 2 against 3. Keates got the ball on half way line, Due to lack of pace, (1) Keates had no support and (2) Tried to run with it but was easily tackled on the half way line. Exactly same thing happened in the 2nd half with either Keates or Pead disposessed on half way line when we had a good chance of a breakaway. Due to lack of pace, lack of dribblers and lack of anyone with ability to play a killer ball, opposing teams have time to go have their supper, watch a bit of tv and then come back and win the ball whenever we have a breakaway !

Loan players may help but who are we going to get at this stage who are actually any good? Other results may have gone for us tonight but i am more concerned how we are going to break down Barnet when they put 11 men behind the ball at Bescot on Saturday. Anyway lets look on the bright side. At least we can't now use the excuse after every bad performance...'we are still top arn't we?' !

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:21 am

London Saddler wrote:Tonight was a home banker even more than the Pool game was. A team that has won several games on the bounce and not conceded a single goal against a team that is collapsing like a pack of cards and struggling to create chances and struggling to score

So onto tonights game. Game was dire and we were unbelievably crap. Stockport created one chance and scored from it. We failed to create one serious chance all game. In the first half, we actually shaded possession but both teams cancelled each other out. The 2nd half Stockport dominated. For the goal, Cederquist received the ball on the right wing in Stockports half. He stopped to think what he should do. Unfortunately no one seems to have told him that this is the 4th division where you do not get time. He was disposessed. Shortly after that the ball was worked onto the Stockport right wing with our left full back no where to be seen. Great cross and with our 2 central defenders marking thin air, a Stockport player from a few yards out from centre of goal smashed ball in leaving Ince with no chance

Our play was simple. We spent the game hoofing the ball onto the heads of their centre halves or hoofing the ball into the corners so their full backs could clear. But we did vary it. Sometinmes we hoofed it out for a throw in or goal kick! I counted 1-2 flowing passing movements in the whole game. With all the best will in the world, it is very hard for any fans to sing and enjoy for full 90 mins when all they get served up, is ale house balls and no goal action nor goal threat. With 5 mins left when Butler had a header go wide, the Walsall fans sang 'We've had a shot, we've had a shot'. I heard plenty of jeers and boos at the final whistle and the fans did not look happy at all

We lined up 4-4-2 with Keates on left wing and Cederquist on right wing and Gerrard in midfield. But Ropes was injured after 5 mins and Pead came on to go in midfield and Gerrard went to centre defence with Dann

Defensively we have lost our ability to keep clean sheets. But we are not defending badly. We are just being underminded by errors in each game which hand the opposition a goal (like Dobson against Lincoln, Ince against Mansfield and Rochdale, Dann against Boston, etc). Tonight, Ince was again hesitant. He dropped a corner early on. Then in 2nd half, he kicked the ball straight to one of their players who nearly had a one on one. Westwood was steady and Dann again was the pick of the defence. Gerrard struggled and a 2nd half error nearly let in a stockport player for one on one. Fox little neds to be said about his performance

In midfield (and i use the term in the loosest sense), Cederqist actually had a couple of decent runs in the 1st half. But he was anonymous in 2nd half and even more anonymous when he went up front. Pead continued to look like a non league player. Keates did nothing and like Fox and Taylor who have played in that position wisely did not try to dribble or outpace the full back and get a cross in as you actually need a proper left winger to try that rather than a full back or defensive midfielders! Dobbo actually won quite a few tackles but predictably had no support and even more predictably did not know what to do with the ball when he had won it

Up front Sam worked hard and quite bizarrely was again subsituted (when it should have been Cederquist) for Wrack who continued to make Wright look like Ronaldinho. Butler was his usual busy self and won loads of free kicks and throw ins in the 1st half but faded due to no service in the 2nd half

2 moments summed up our current problems. Both similar situations. In 1st half we had a break away with Sam. He laid it to Keates. It was almost 2 against 3. Keates got the ball on half way line, Due to lack of pace, (1) Keates had no support and (2) Tried to run with it but was easily tackled on the half way line. Exactly same thing happened in the 2nd half with either Keates or Pead disposessed on half way line when we had a good chance of a breakaway. Due to lack of pace, lack of dribblers and lack of anyone with ability to play a killer ball, opposing teams have time to go have their supper, watch a bit of tv and then come back and win the ball whenever we have a breakaway !

Loan players may help but who are we going to get at this stage who are actually any good? Other results may have gone for us tonight but i am more concerned how we are going to break down Barnet when they put 11 men behind the ball at Bescot on Saturday. Anyway lets look on the bright side. At least we can't now use the excuse after every bad performance...'we are still top arn't we?' !

Otherwise OK, though?

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:04 am

I thought Gerarrd did well, at least he put in a challenge for every ball he could, Pead was invisble because most of the time he was back tracking covering for Westwood!.Dobson was not only poor but the was the reason Roper was stretchered off. Cider looked good in the first half showed his pace a couple of times, but doesn't seem to know how to jump for a ball.I don't think Stockport were a good side, just lucky we don't seem to remember to play anymore :cry:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season