Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Lincoln (H)- League, Friday 16th February

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:28 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Why on earth didnt we sign spencer weir-daley ? A player i suggested at the time he went back to forest (that ones for registered saddler! :D ) I think we need 3 players to be honest. An attacking midfielder, a left winger, and a quick nipply small striker to turn defences.

If Weir-Daley were in the Walsall squad he would not get anywhere near the first eleven as long as DD is the manager.

Why?

He cannot defend.

He never chased back.

He sometimes lost the ball when trying to be clever.

He would either be sharing the bench with Ishmel (our left winger) or sitting in the stand next to Nicholls (a quick nippy small striker to turn defences) or Bradley (an attacking midfielder).

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:32 pm

I'm afraid Wright was awful in my book, truly awful. Yes Fox was terrible, Dobson had a mare, and Keates was ineffective, but Wright was truly awful.

It's funny, because it's what the anti-MWAS lot said, that once the going gets tough, Wright becomes worse than useless. He shirks challenges, ducks out of headers, can't run with it, and last night, his performance was epitomised by the instant when he beat his man thanks to a westwood overlap taking the defenders attention elsewhere, got in to the box, and with 3 men to aim for, he crossed it straight in to the hands of the keeper, thats utterly terrible, how the hell he can call himself a winger is beyond me. When was Wrights last assist?

He's a wimp, he's techincally very poor, he's weak, he's slow, and last night, on top of all that he was lazy, at one point we won the ball back after they had broken from a Walsall corner, he'd ended up on the left, and even though we'd won possession he was just walking back towards the right wing, after 3 or 4 passes, the ball had gone out wide to westwood, and wright was still in the middle of the pitch strolling across to the right wing, then he realised "oh sh!t, I should be over there" and jogged it, but too late.

I'm prepared to give every player praise when they play well, but Mark Wright brings nothing whatsoever to our team, and the same can be said for Danny Fox. Lack of technical ability and physical attributes can be made up for with urgency and lots of energy, [see Dean Keates] but Fox and Wright just can't be arsed. Why? Possibly because all season they've had no competition for their position.

If it was up to me, I'd sign a right winger, a left winger, and another central midfielder with some height about him.

Neil was damn right in his report [regardless of my dislike of Wright] the whole midfield last night was shocking, truly shocking, but it's been coming since before December, so why haven't we strengthened?

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:14 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Neil was damn right in his report [regardless of my dislike of Wright] the whole midfield last night was shocking, truly shocking, but it's been coming since before December, so why haven't we strengthened?

I disagree with the rest of your post (nobody with an open mind could have watched yesterday and said Wright was the worst midfielder) but this last sentence is the crux of the matter. It was nice to hear Money say we'll be strengthening - but last night's midfield display was no different from other recent ones, the only difference was that Butler didn't convert the chances which were created by our long balls from the back. Pead came on as sub into midfield, what seems like an absolute age ago now, and played extremely well; since then, nothing. Keates does his headless chicken act, and chips in sometimes with very valuable goals from set-pieces. Fox can't run with the ball, can't cross it - he's only in the team as an extra full-back (we wouldn't want to try to be expansive or anything, now would we). It's not suddenly become apparent that we need a midfielder, and I would go further than you and so it wasn't even in December when it became apparent, it was obvious from day one that it was the area of the team where we didn't have enough strength. We were carried through early on by Kinsella and Dobson being excellent, but we've lost one and the other has just lost the plot, so we're left with no central midfielders who are good enough. And that's been blindingly obvious for a long time. I just hope we don't end up with another complete waste of space like Cederqvist or Picken or Lyall or Bedeau, and we can actually sign someone worth having.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:29 pm

I was so angry last night, I daren't post. You can kiss table toppers goodbye by the end of the month at this rate. :evil:

Lee Frecklington did more than the six midfielders we used last night put together. He really showed them for how poor they were. :oops:

The last time I saw a midfield performance as inept as Dobson's it was John Kelly. Yes, he did chase back and get one superb header away, but as a passer I can't recall seeing anything as bad. :o

Keates is limited but has scored seven (?) goals this season. He'll be useless against a lot of the bigger physical sides now but if we're going to persist with te squad we've got, he can't keep playing with Dobson in the middle - end of.

Taylor, Fox and Wright were slightly better, Wright did put in some good crosses but is so lightweight it defies description. Taylor was fairly anonymous, as was Fox. Wrack came on and was the same.

Pead had a better game than all of them at full-back, despite giving away a stone wall 'penalty' and being caught upfield for the second of theirs, but he had to do something to try and get us going forward.

I've not even mentioned forwards, defence or keeper you'll notice.

Mr Money has made himself look a prat with his outburst and knows it. Action is required, sir.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:11 pm

I thought we deserved a point in the end of it we had our chances but never took em ! Dann should of burried that one from a few yards. Lincoln though to be fair wasn't a bad team..They looked very good on the attack and keatsy in the advertiser said ' The imps like to attack ' which was spot on they looked dangerous and that striker who scored the two goals for em - quality fineshes but how did he get the goals ? - Good service.

Stockport wont be an easy game..There on form we need the 3 points !

UTS

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Here are my thoughts on last night's game (I know it's a bit late, but I couldn't be bothered to comment last night!) :-

I thought we played better than we did against Boston & Rochdale, but ultimately we lacked the creativite midfielder we so dearly need at the moment. I thought were were okay in defence and in attack, but the problems still lie in midfield. I thought that we were very weak on the flanks as well, and so the front two were getting very little support.
As for Dobson, well, what can I say?! Was he on drugs last night or what? He got caught in possession for the first Lincoln goal and passed it straight to their midfielder in the build-up for their second! It was unsurprising that he got cheered every time he made an accurate pass to a fellow team-mate. It was also unsurprising that he was taken off at half-time. If he was our man-of-the-match against Hartlepool, that says a lot about the rest of the team, doesn't it?!

Anyway, here are my player comments and ratings from last night :-

Incey-wincey: A couple of nervy moments (second half), but no chance with the goals. 6/10.

Peado: Quiet game, had very little impact in midfield after the break. 6/10.
Christine: Generally comfortable (marshalled Stallard well) before moving to right-back. 7/10.
Ropes: A decent game on his return from injury, got stuck in. 7/10.
Chrissy Taylor: Looked out-of-sorts at times and was too defensive in first half. 5/10.

Washer (Wrighty): Ineffective. Poor crossing and lost possession all too often. Booked. 4/10.
Rob-a-Dob: The less said about him the better. He effectively lost us the game. 2/10.
Deano: Quiet game against his former club. Involved in a couple of good moves. 6/10.
Fox-trot: Decent first half, but lost possession too many times after the break. Booked. 5/10.

The Butler: Worked hard, but generally ineffective. Looked tired towards the end. 7/10.
Sambo: Great goal. Worked hard, looked a little tired. My man-of-the-match. 8/10.

Subs:

Zi-Dann: Shored up the defence a little after the break. Why didn't he start? 6/10.
Wrack-attack: A couple of decent runs down the left, but generally ineffective. 5/10.
Below-Par Cederquivst: Given little time to make an impact. Barely touched the ball. 4/10.

Lincoln's star-man?

Has to be Spencer Weir-Daley. Two great finishes that sealed the points for Lincoln.

Oh, well. We now go to Stockport in desperate need of a good result, and if we don't get it, the Barnet game next weekend is massive.

Let's keep the faith, come on you reds!

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:16 pm

redsaddler wrote:Washer (Wrighty): Ineffective. Poor crossing and lost possession all too often. Booked. 4/10.
Fox-trot: Decent first half, but lost possession too many times after the break. Booked. 5/10.

I find this quite amazing :shock:

So you mean to say that you think Fox, who did his best to give us no width, no attacking options, no interest and no passion and about whom I can't think of one decent contrinution he made to the game, had a BETTER match than Wright who, throughout, provided us with an attacking outlet, tried to beat his man, put some decent crosses over, won us some corners and, despite his wimpy tendencies, at least showed some passion for thegame? :roll:

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:18 pm

Last night we didn't play bad. The 2 goals that Lincoln scored were Dobson errors. Dobson had a very poor game, for what he played of it. Very disappointed in him, he started the season great but I'm not too sure why he has gone off form recently.

Our goal, as said on WM, was assisted by the crowd. Lincoln scored and the fans didn't drop their heads, they still got right behind the team and in my opinion helped score our goal. Our goal, by Hector Sam was deserved.

For much of the first half we looked weak going forward and a lot of our block was getting on Dobsons and Richard Moneys back. I'm not sure this will help but they payed the money so they are entitled to make their views clear.

The second half was a lot better for Walsall, we looked better going forward and created a few chances. Butler could of scored twice but was unlucky and produced weak attempts both times. Wright was very much involved and put in one or two crosses of which not much happened.

The match ended with Walsall being unlucky not to have got anything out of it. The problem is that the gap is now closed down to only goal difference over on form Hartlepool. I'm not too sure whether we can hold this up and we travel to Stockport on tuesday night, they haven't conceded for quite a few games now. I hope we win, obviously and will be backing the Saddlers all the way until the end of the season and after.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:21 pm

redsaddler wrote:As for Dobson, well, what can I say?! Was he on drugs last night or what? He got caught in possession for the first Lincoln goal and passed it straight to their midfielder in the build-up for their second! It was unsurprising that he got cheered every time he made an accurate pass to a fellow team-mate. It was also unsurprising that he was taken off at half-time. If he was our man-of-the-match against Hartlepool, that says a lot about the rest of the team, doesn't it?!

Rob-a-Dob: The less said about him the better. He effectively lost us the game. 2/10.

FACT: Dobson had an awful game last night. I cannot explain why he found it impossible to pass to a player in a red shirt
FACT: The first goal - he was played into an awful position by another Walsall player passing to him when he was marked
FACT: There was still more than enough to do when Dobson misplaced the pass for the second goal. Unfortunately, our defending was just as bad as the pass!
FACT: Dobson has had some superb games this season, playing the midfield effectively on his own.
FACT: Despite the fact he was having a mare, he didnt hide, he still fought for the ball, made himself available for the pass etc. I wish a few other players would do that.

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:50 pm

dobson for me should never put on a walsall shirt again, he was rubbish, i said months ago he wasnt the player to play in midfield for us and people started having ago at me for it, well now you all know what i was on a bout.

i think when we pushed pead back into midfield with keates we looked alot better, but one of DD subs made me think why has he done this, and that was taking sam off. sam to me was working well upfront, he was winning most balls, running at their defenders and scaring them, i thought that if we were going to get an equaliser again it would be through him.

mark wright in the 2nd half did way better than the 1st half, he started to take players on and put a few crosses into the box, and also for the 1st time ever got a tackle in and got booked, i nearly fainted when that happened.

if we got a 2nd goal yesterday it would have been deserved because we chucked everything we had at them, but you cant take it away from lincoln, they defended well

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:55 pm

To ShropsSaddler or anyone else:

Would you start Dobson on Tuesday or leave him out and put someone like Bradley in?

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:02 pm

redsaddler wrote:To ShropsSaddler or anyone else:

Would you start Dobson on Tuesday or leave him out and put someone like Bradley in?

leave him out and play pead in with keates

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:11 pm

sean511 wrote:Last night we didn't play bad. The 2 goals that Lincoln scored were Dobson errors. Dobson had a very poor game, for what he played of it. Very disappointed in him, he started the season great but I'm not too sure why he has gone off form recently.

With all the criticism (parts of it justified from last night's game) about Dobson and how he has dipped in form since the first few months of the season, has anyone thought, it's partly down to the other thought floating around UTS that teams have 'worked us out'.

Lincoln pressed us hard last night, and particuarly Dobson, giving him no time at all. Granted he should control the ball better under pressure and pass it better, definitely, but if he is the only option in midfield to pass the ball too, then the opposition will just follow and press him to create the mistake and win the ball back. Our options from the back with the ball tend to be, 1) hoof the ball up into the channels for strikers to chase, or, 2) look square and play the ball into Dobson from the full back area because he has offered himself for the ball. The first option their defenders can deal with, the second, 1 or 2 of their midfielders can stay on or close down Dobson quickly and make the mistake or win the ball themselves. This is something to address, other players need to want the ball as well as players giving the man on the ball an option by moving etc.

It'll be interesting to see what the team lines up as on Tuesday night.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:13 pm

redsaddler wrote:To ShropsSaddler or anyone else:

I might start with Dobson if you play Pead or Wrack next to him, but not Dobson with Keates.

Shad

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:35 pm

So after a man of the match performance against Hartlepool the man should never put on a Walsall shirt again? I agree the 45 minutes he did play yesterday were dredful, but surely this is a bit of an overreaction. Now this is where I am going to be controversial... All this talk of Dobson costing us two goals is correct, but the second goal was conceded due to poor defending more than anything else. Weir-Daley was in loads of space when the ball was delivered, Roper was marking thin air, Pead was lurking a few yards to the right of him (possibly also marking thin air) giving him ages to bring the dall down, take a couple of steps and pick his spot to make it 2-1. Of course Dobson giving the ball away is a key factor, but for me the defence has the strongest responsibility.

I don't think that the defensive selection helped this either especially having a player who has been at rightback all season as a left sided central defender and having a player who has been central mid all season as a right back. But the suprise to me was having Scott Dann, a player of the season contender and a goalscorer from set plays, as a sub.

I watched the game from the comfort of the pub and therefore missed the team lineups, I'd like to point out it took me a long time to realise Fox was playing. All this talk of Mark Wright may well be true, but he has nothing on Danny Fox. When he plays on left midfield he offers us..... well what does he offer us? At least with Wright he tries to beat players, and tries to cross balls in, even if they tend to reach the first man.

Now I am a huge fan of Martin Butler, but what does Hector Sam have to do to complete a full 90 minutes? He was our main attaking threat yesterday, wanted to win the ball, wanted to play the ball, yet once again he is substituted with around 20 minutes to go. If Dickie wanted to take a forward off why was it not Butler?

As for Dickies comments about the fans I find it amazing that he will criticize the fans in public, on national TV, but will try to avoid at all costs mentioning even the slightest criticism of one of his players. *Before this gets mis-interpreted I know he has turned the club round and I still want him to be manager*

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:12 pm

I'm so glad I went out on the piss last night, my posts on here would've been X-rated. how people can say "Oooh we played quite well and deserved a point" is beyond me to a degree I thought I'd never experience. Loyalty is one thing, blind loyalty to the point of blatantly lying is something else entirely.

There was only one team that had any slightest resemblance of creative attacking intent. We just stuck rigidly to plan A (the only plan that exists) of launching it long into the corners in the vain hope that Butler can bring it down, skip past a couple of challenges and slip it past the keeper from an acute angle. This crap "tactic" hasn't worked for about 3 months now. Perhaps one day Money might cotton on.

I hear he has now come to the conclusion that we need new players? Well fudge me, that's only 4 or 5 months later than the rest of us. I fully expect a shiny new fullback to be unveiled within the week :evil:

Dobson :roll: I've been fairly happy with him over the last few weeks but last night he was unbelivable. Forget the two crazy mistakes, what about when he yelled for Taylor to pass to him, then screamed abuse at him for doing so? Such captain material :x

Well Money you asked for the fans to back the team, we did, what's the next subject of your pass-the-buck moans? Perhaps one day you'll realise it's the total, utter garbage of what passes as tactics that is to blame. I shan't hold my breath eh?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Dave Roe wrote:I'm so glad I went out on the pee last night, my posts on here would've been X-rated. how people can say "Oooh we played quite well and deserved a point" is beyond me to a degree I thought I'd never experience. Loyalty is one thing, blind loyalty to the point of blatantly lying is something else entirely.

There was only one team that had any slightest resemblance of creative attacking intent. We just stuck rigidly to plan A (the only plan that exists) of launching it long into the corners in the vain hope that Butler can bring it down, skip past a couple of challenges and slip it past the keeper from an acute angle. This crap "tactic" hasn't worked for about 3 months now. Perhaps one day Money might cotton on.

I hear he has now come to the conclusion that we need new players? Well fudge me, that's only 4 or 5 months later than the rest of us. I fully expect a shiny new fullback to be unveiled within the week :evil:

Dobson :roll: I've been fairly happy with him over the last few weeks but last night he was unbelivable. Forget the two crazy mistakes, what about when he yelled for Taylor to pass to him, then screamed abuse at him for doing so? Such captain material :x

Well Money you asked for the fans to back the team, we did, what's the next subject of your pass-the-buck moans? Perhaps one day you'll realise it's the total, utter garbage of what passes as tactics that is to blame. I shan't hold my breath eh?

Even my Dingle neighbour thought we played well second half and at least deserved a point - he isn't usually very complimentary of Walsall. Sorry Dave - but we were NOT THAT bad last night, however, I bet you were THAT BAD in Walsall afterwards :lol: :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:49 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:I'm so glad I went out on the pee last night, my posts on here would've been X-rated. how people can say "Oooh we played quite well and deserved a point" is beyond me to a degree I thought I'd never experience. Loyalty is one thing, blind loyalty to the point of blatantly lying is something else entirely.

Even my Dingle neighbour thought we played well second half and at least deserved a point - he isn't usually very complimentary of Walsall. Sorry Dave - but we were NOT THAT bad last night, however, I bet you were THAT BAD in Walsall afterwards :lol: :lol:

We did nothing though Steve. It's just long ball after long ball after ......

Where is the creativity? Where is the mixing up of different tactics? Where is the pace? Where are the overlaps from midfield? There are just so many things that are totally wrong with our game. Not even the cure of all ills, the crowd singing, could help any of that. Sorry Money, this one is down to you to sort out.

Play-off's here we come :(

I wasn't that bad last night Steve. I realised when I'd had enough and stopped (light weight but there you go). :D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Dave Roe wrote:[quote="

Where is the creativity? Where is the mixing up of different tactics? Where is the pace? Where are the overlaps from midfield? Play-off's here we come :(

:D

Bring back Zigor & Pedro!

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Post pretty much spot on in all respects IMHO, Dave.

When DD arrived we all marvelled at his long list of coaching badges and qualifications. What this coaching genius has transformed us into is a team that only plays long balls into the channels. No one runs at defenders and beats them as they are too afraid of neglecting their defensive duties if they do so.

Having said that DD has brought a great amount of discipline, personal responsibility and a brilliant work ethic to the rag tag side that he inherited and I will be eternally grateful to him for that.

As far as I am concerned our final run in of games is against inferior opposition ( except Swindon & Dongs). We can more or less clinch promotion by just winning all our home games. I don't mind us putting 10 men behind the ball at away games and coming away with a point but at home we need to be more expansive and play at the highest tempo possible.

For me this means starting with ASBO in all the homes games and bringing in a midfielder that can pass and create and moving Dobson to right back where his QE2 turning circle would not be exposed so much and where his undoubted tackling ability and competitiveness may be of some use.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:05 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:No one runs at defenders and beats them as they are too afraid of neglecting their defensive duties if they do so.

And people actually wonder why we hardly ever get a penalty :roll:

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:06 pm

''Now I am a huge fan of Martin Butler, but what does Hector Sam have to do to complete a full 90 minutes? He was our main attaking threat yesterday, wanted to win the ball, wanted to play the ball, yet once again he is substituted with around 20 minutes to go. If Dickie wanted to take a forward off why was it not Butler?''

Exactly.

Anyone know how many times this season Sam has completed 90 minutes? Can't be many.

DD never gives Butler a rest (out of the two it is always Sam who gets substituted). Why is this?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:09 pm

I wouldn't have taken either off. I would've gone 4-3-3. I know this will set the 'lets be defensive at all costs' fans into seizures, but what the hell is the point of sitting on a 2 - 1 defecit?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:19 pm

redsaddler wrote:''Now I am a huge fan of Martin Butler, but what does Hector Sam have to do to complete a full 90 minutes? He was our main attaking threat yesterday, wanted to win the ball, wanted to play the ball, yet once again he is substituted with around 20 minutes to go. If Dickie wanted to take a forward off why was it not Butler?''

Exactly.

Anyone know how many times this season Sam has completed 90 minutes? Can't be many.

DD never gives Butler a rest (out of the two it is always Sam who gets substituted). Why is this?

I do not usually bother with a programme so my most recent copy is a couple of weeks old. From that I can see that Hector Sam had started 25 matches and been substituted in 20 of them. Butler had started 28 matches and been substituted in just 2 of them - on both occasions with a few minutes to go after we had a clear lead.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:53 pm

For all the effort he put in butler should of been taken off not Sam. Butlers tocuh was poor he kept losing the ball and should of scored.

Cant be any worse than Cidershite though.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:00 am

latviancheese wrote:Cant be any worse than Cidershite though.

Its fans like you, not giving him a chance, that means he might not fulfil his potential you know, DD says so.

Its nothing to do with him not liking the rough and tumble of League 2, but its the fans who think he is Wayne Rooney or something.

Shame on you, shame on you I say. :lol:

*In all seriousness, bit early to judge him isn't it, but he doesn't really inspire so far*

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:42 am

Stu wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Cant be any worse than Cidershite though.

Its fans like you, not giving him a chance, that means he might not fulfil his potential you know, DD says so.

Its nothing to do with him not liking the rough and tumble of League 2, but its the fans who think he is Wayne Rooney or something.

Shame on you, shame on you I say. :lol:

*In all seriousness, bit early to judge him isn't it, but he doesn't really inspire so far*

Ive given him that name on his performances so far, hes welcome to prove me wrong.

Rooney? Is he the one who plays for Wycombe? :lol:

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:33 am

got a feeling this is the start of sliding backwards, just hope stockport do us a favour by scoring a own goal for us on tuesday :(

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:08 am

We've got to think in a positive manner that we're LUCKY to have this game at Stockport on Tuesday, so's we can try and sort some of this bloody nonsense out. They're in form and we aren't, so there's nothing to lose by having a real go and trying to play attacking football, even if it's limited to counter-attacking.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season