Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (a) League Saturday 10/2/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
jack-the-lad

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:36 pm

Right then, my first ever post on this site. I look on here pretty much every day and am always surprised (although maybe I shouldn't be) at the amount of people who have been and remain negative and critical of the team over the course of this season. Over the past couple of years, merscum has near destroyed this club (with help from bonser) and now we are on a major recovery mission. Money hasn't got to rebuild a squad, he has to rebuild a club, and he has impressed me no end with what he has done this season. We're top of the league for frigg sake.

Now onto the match yesterday that prompted me to register and put my thoughts down on here after some ridiculous posts stating how we are losing the plot and won't get promoted etc.

We came up against a team that are on a huge run of form and to be honest I'm not sure how. From what I saw, they have one outstanding player on the right wing, Scott Brown? He looked very good and skinned fox time and time again. However, other than that they wern't anything special, Ritchie Barker was just a big log, as were their two central defenders. They may have had alot of possession but they didn't exactly do much with it. Dann and Westwood dealt with everything they had without much trouble and of course with the protection of a fantastic Dobson. Butler was his usual self, and with Cederqvist in the first half looked dangerous but I thought we were more comfortable with Hector Sam, he looked sharp as has been his form in the previous 6 or so games and we should definitely start with him on Friday. We could and should have won the game if we had finished the chances we got, and we had quite a few good chances, especially Ishmel's.

The weaknesses were clear. Fox, Pead, Keates and Bedeau. All 4 were not good at all. I like Pead and I think he can do a job, but that's all he can do. He is too lightweight and hasnt got the skill to make up for it. Keates is much of the same, does obviously give everything and can take a good set piece but that is all. Fox got completely out-played by their right winger and was generally crap. Bedeau again was just crap and is not worth the shirt, at least mark wright is always in the game and tries to get involved even if what he does isn't very good.

Now for a special mention-the ref. He was atrocious, what a w****r, bottled it on numerous occasions, as did the linesmen. A complete 'homer' referee, where do they get them from?

Anyway, onto the next game and hopefully a win. Up the Saddlers.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:05 pm

ALOT of crap being talked about yesterday. We played decently, I thought. First half we were solid at the back and created a couple of decent chances. Second half we could easily have won it. Until two minutes from time (and but for two poor decision from the refs and a wonder goal) we had a great point on our hands, and one we would all have taken.

Explain to me just how Wright was poor yesterday? He was the only bloody outlet on the park for us. Bedeau was non-existent, and Par didn't make anywhere like enough 'clever' runs. I got really quite pissed off with people yesterday who were spouting utter bull-sh!t towards Wright, and told them so. The day when Walsall fans sit up and realise that maybe things aren't quite as bad as they'd wish will be a happy day for me.

I thought Par was very poor, and was totally dominated by his centre half. However, I still think given time he could be a dangeous player for us. He has the attributes for sure, and his track record suggests he is an out-and-out goalscorer. The strength of Hartlepool is shown by the fact that Butler didn't get a sniff either after the first 10 minutes. It was the centre halves that won it for Pool in my opinion, they handled the blustery conditions perfectly, and with Roper, I'm entirely convinced we'd have done exactly the same.

I thought Fox did well considering in the first half he had nothing like any support from Bedeau, who was then replaced with Taylor who I thought had a particularly poor second half. Fox is never going to be strong enough to manage his defensive role by himself - we learnt that last season. I think it is poor how we have seemingly abandoned the Taylor/Fox Left back/Left winger partnership - because I think it has been amongst the biggest tactical successes this season.

Had we have held on for a point I'd have been delighted. Had we have had either the goalscoring opportunity or the penalty we should have had in the 88th minute, we'd have been ecstatic. This is how things go sometimes. A bad ref made two bad decisions, and we lost out. No one played particularly awfully yesterday, Bedeau was non-existent, but when you ask him to play on the left wing, what can you expect? Certainly the reaction to Wright going off was totally wrong and absolutely embarrassing. I have never, ever known a group of supporters cheer the substition of a player when their team is top of the league - particularly when, at the time, it was 1-1, a result which would have been great yesterday.

We should take heart from the fact that Hartlepool fans, both on their message board and speaking to them at the station last night and on the train were all saying that we are the strongest side they have played this season by a country mile. Lincoln becomes massive now, but if there is an over-reaction to yesterday's performance then it is simply wrong.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:06 pm

Jorge14 wrote:ALOT of crap being talked about yesterday. We played decently, I thought. First half we were solid at the back and created a couple of decent chances. Second half we could easily have won it. Until two minutes from time (and but for two poor decision from the refs and a wonder goal) we had a great point on our hands, and one we would all have taken.

Explain to me just how Wright was poor yesterday? He was the only bloody outlet on the park for us. Bedeau was non-existent, and Par didn't make anywhere like enough 'clever' runs. I got really quite pissed off with people yesterday who were spouting utter bull-sh!t towards Wright, and told them so. The day when Walsall fans sit up and realise that maybe things aren't quite as bad as they'd wish will be a happy day for me.

I thought Par was very poor, and was totally dominated by his centre half. However, I still think given time he could be a dangeous player for us. He has the attributes for sure, and his track record suggests he is an out-and-out goalscorer. The strength of Hartlepool is shown by the fact that Butler didn't get a sniff either after the first 10 minutes. It was the centre halves that won it for Pool in my opinion, they handled the blustery conditions perfectly, and with Roper, I'm entirely convinced we'd have done exactly the same.

I thought Fox did well considering in the first half he had nothing like any support from Bedeau, who was then replaced with Taylor who I thought had a particularly poor second half. Fox is never going to be strong enough to manage his defensive role by himself - we learnt that last season. I think it is poor how we have seemingly abandoned the Taylor/Fox Left back/Left winger partnership - because I think it has been amongst the biggest tactical successes this season.

Had we have held on for a point I'd have been delighted. Had we have had either the goalscoring opportunity or the penalty we should have had in the 88th minute, we'd have been ecstatic. This is how things go sometimes. A bad ref made two bad decisions, and we lost out. No one played particularly awfully yesterday, Bedeau was non-existent, but when you ask him to play on the left wing, what can you expect? Certainly the reaction to Wright going off was totally wrong and absolutely embarrassing. I have never, ever known a group of supporters cheer the substition of a player when their team is top of the league - particularly when, at the time, it was 1-1, a result which would have been great yesterday.

We should take heart from the fact that Hartlepool fans, both on their message board and speaking to them at the station last night and on the train were all saying that we are the strongest side they have played this season by a country mile. Lincoln becomes massive now, but if there is an over-reaction to yesterday's performance then it is simply wrong.

I love you saving me the effort to post reams of stuff, totally agree hor gay my son xx

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:13 pm

Good couple of posts on this page already.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Exile wrote:Good couple of posts on this page already.

Our posts are great arent they sexy exy? :D :D

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:42 pm

Jorge14 wrote:ALOT of crap being talked about yesterday. We played decently, I thought. First half we were solid at the back and created a couple of decent chances. Second half we could easily have won it. Until two minutes from time (and but for two poor decision from the refs and a wonder goal) we had a great point on our hands, and one we would all have taken.

Great post Jorge! I totally agree with everything you say on your post, its exactly what i was saying but people didnt realise what i was trying to put across!

WFCNIL

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:18 pm

jack-the-lad wrote:Right then, my first ever post on this site. I look on here pretty much every day and am always surprised (although maybe I shouldn't be) at the amount of people who have been and remain negative and critical of the team over the course of this season. Over the past couple of years, merscum has near destroyed this club (with help from bonser) and now we are on a major recovery mission. Money hasn't got to rebuild a squad, he has to rebuild a club, and he has impressed me no end with what he has done this season. We're top of the league for frigg sake.

Now onto the match yesterday that prompted me to register and put my thoughts down on here after some ridiculous posts stating how we are losing the plot and won't get promoted etc.

We came up against a team that are on a huge run of form and to be honest I'm not sure how. From what I saw, they have one outstanding player on the right wing, Scott Brown? He looked very good and skinned fox time and time again. However, other than that they wern't anything special, Ritchie Barker was just a big log, as were their two central defenders. They may have had alot of possession but they didn't exactly do much with it. Dann and Westwood dealt with everything they had without much trouble and of course with the protection of a fantastic Dobson. Butler was his usual self, and with Cederqvist in the first half looked dangerous but I thought we were more comfortable with Hector Sam, he looked sharp as has been his form in the previous 6 or so games and we should definitely start with him on Friday. We could and should have won the game if we had finished the chances we got, and we had quite a few good chances, especially Ishmel's.

The weaknesses were clear. Fox, Pead, Keates and Bedeau. All 4 were not good at all. I like Pead and I think he can do a job, but that's all he can do. He is too lightweight and hasnt got the skill to make up for it. Keates is much of the same, does obviously give everything and can take a good set piece but that is all. Fox got completely out-played by their right winger and was generally crap. Bedeau again was just crap and is not worth the shirt, at least mark wright is always in the game and tries to get involved even if what he does isn't very good.

Now for a special mention-the ref. He was atrocious, what a w****r, bottled it on numerous occasions, as did the linesmen. A complete 'homer' referee, where do they get them from?

Anyway, onto the next game and hopefully a win. Up the Saddlers.

Top Post

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:25 pm

It isn't about yesterday, not for me, i thought it is the best i have seen us play for some time, we actually tried to win the game after conceeding the equaliser.. Credit where credit is due

Dobson had a good game, i have been the first to have a go about him, but he was the main man in the middle yesterday, shame keates went missing...

The point is, it is fine to be positive, but it is also fine to be real surely ? We are in one hell of a rut in my opinion, forget last season this is here and now, and if we don't start putting some wins on the board, it is all slipping away.

I want us to go up, as much as the next walsall fan, but we are making bloody hard work of it, we just need some form, and i am worried, and not scared to say it

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:46 pm

Pedro wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:I don't think they were the best team we have played this season, and they certainly didn't deserve the win, but then what do I know,? I only watched the game :oops:

They were the best team we have played, by a country mile in fact. :?

in your opinion but not in mine oh sorry forgot I'm not allowed one am I?

what did they do that was so great? nothing!

They beat the league leaders 3 - 1, yes thats THREE - one.

Had countless attacks, swarmed all over us, were solid in defence, produced great set pieces, great wing play, full backs bombed forward - Humphries was amazing. Barker won headers, monkhouse ran at us and played accross the park, Brown ran at us all game, they were brilliant, and deserved the win.

Agree Daz, they where the best team we have played this season by along way. As you say solid all over the park. Their winger killed out full backs and Humphries is something we lack, a player who can go forward and pass a ball

Who would you say is the best team we have played this season Kiansmom then ?

Swindon by miles

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:00 pm

And Hartlepool beat Swindon at Swindon in the League, didn't they ??

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:02 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:And Hartlepool beat Swindon at Swindon in the League, didn't they ??

That wasn't the question..

Question was who is the best team you have seen

Swindon, they tortured us from the first minute to the last

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:06 pm

Pedro wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:I don't think they were the best team we have played this season, and they certainly didn't deserve the win, but then what do I know,? I only watched the game :oops:

Had countless attacks, swarmed all over us, were solid in defence, produced great set pieces, great wing play, full backs bombed forward - Humphries was amazing. Barker won headers, monkhouse ran at us and played accross the park, Brown ran at us all game, they were brilliant, and deserved the win.

Agree Daz, they where the best team we have played this season by along way. As you say solid all over the park. Their winger killed out full backs and Humphries is something we lack, a player who can go forward and pass a ball

Bolton

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:10 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Swindon by miles

I agree Blazing. Was gonna post the same myself after seeing the question. From what I can remember they pulled us all over the place at the back at times when we played them at bescot, playing 4-3-3 and Christian Roberts being a real danger.

I'd also say that MK Dons were pretty good against us at Bescot and looked good coming forward particularly.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:15 pm

MK Dons came for a draw and got it, just another team we couldn't break down..

But yes Swindon pulled us apart, where as yesterday.. the game could have gone either way, key moments changed the game. Asbo missed a sitter, the ref missed a blatant penalty, and they rifled a free kick in with minutes left

Good side they where, but we played pretty well yesterday, i was no where near as peed off as after mansfeild,

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Bolton

Totally agree!! The better the team..the better we play, all these lower league teams just drag us down to their style of playing.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:12 am

Stu wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Agree with what Bath Saddler said a few pages ago, we had our chance to address problems and weaknesses in January, and like in 2003, Bonser gave no support whatsoever.

If we give this away, which unless we turn things around pretty sharpish we will do, Bonser will be culpable.

Two major flaw in those comments Phil, DD has already turned around and publically said that (i) he has money to spend and (ii) he believes this squad is capable of getting promotion without any additions.

If we balls this up, which I highly doubt, then Bonser is not in the slightest bit culpable. The money is there, waiting to be spent, the manager doesn't feel he needs to, yet, or he hasn't found the right player to spend it on.

I'm sorry Stu, but there are two major flaws in your argument...

i) Since when has any manager at Walsall ever had money to spend? He may well be within his wage budget, doesn't mean he can go out and improve the squad though does it?

ii) He quite clearly doesn't believe the squad is strong enough as in the last 7 days he's been looking at a 21 year old midfielder, and has been talking about improving the squad of late. If he thought it was strong enough, why all the talk of trying to bring people in?

Bonser is 100% culpable. He has once again failed to back a successful manager when he needed backing. It's as simple as that.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:20 am

Oh for god's sake!!! Its like bleedin' Groundhog day on here.

Whose to blame?

For what???

We are top of the league, despite all of the recriminations and protestations we did NOT play at all badly on Saturday and should have claimed a deserved point. For weeks people have been crying out for Ishy to come on when the game is there to be won and have been moaning at DD for being too negative. Well he brought him on Saturday and he had a great chance to win the game for us which he blew, now people are saying DD was too gung ho and we should have closed the game down for a draw.

One lesson that should be learned from Saturday is that a fully committed pumped up, home crowd. Supporting their team passionately from first whistle to last HELPS. Why don't we try it and actually participate in beating Lincoln on Friday, a victory that will keep us well clear at the top of the league, and put us 8 points clear of fourth place with only 13 to play.

Friday's game is a great opportunity, and something that should be enjoyed, not approached with dread and despondancy.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:26 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:Oh for god's sake!!! Its like bleedin' Groundhog day on here.

Whose to blame?

For what???

We are top of the league, despite all of the recriminations and protestations we did NOT play at all badly on Saturday and should have claimed a deserved point. For weeks people have been crying out for Ishy to come on when the game is there to be won and have been moaning at DD for being too negative. Well he brought him on Saturday and he had a great chance to win the game for us which he blew, now people are saying DD was too gung ho and we should have closed the game down for a draw.

One lesson that should be learned from Saturday is that a fully committed pumped up, home crowd. Supporting their team passionately from first whistle to last HELPS. Why don't we try it and actually participate in beating Lincoln on Friday, a victory that will keep us well clear at the top of the league, and put us 8 points clear of fourth place with only 13 to play.

Friday's game is a great opportunity, and something that should be enjoyed, not approached with dread and despondancy.

AT LAST !!!!
the voice of reason , very well said Geordie

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:39 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:Oh for god's sake!!! Its like bleedin' Groundhog day on here.

Whose to blame?

For what???

Halle-bl00dy-lujah!

Thank God you came along, Geordie.... I was about to slit my wrists!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:MK Dons came for a draw and got it, just another team we couldn't break down..

But yes Swindon pulled us apart, where as yesterday.. the game could have gone either way, key moments changed the game. Asbo missed a sitter, the ref missed a blatant penalty, and they rifled a free kick in with minutes left

Good side they where, but we played pretty well yesterday, i was no where near as peed off as after mansfeild,

I've not seen every game we've played this season, but Swindon were the best team I've seen. However I know for a fact that that was Swindon's best performance of the season by a mile.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:18 pm

Whose to blame?

For what???

Stop moaning and get behind the lads! :D

UTS!!!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:50 pm

Lincoln impressed me far more than Hartlepool. They destroyed us for an hour at their place with far and away the best football I've seen from an opposition team. That said I've no doubt Hartlepool will finish above Lincoln, because like us, they may lack the fancy stuff, but are much stronger and consistant.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:58 pm

Odd that it took until page 8 for their to be any kind of good sense spoken...

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:10 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Odd that it took until page 8 for their to be any kind of good sense spoken...

I know, into every life a little rain must fall, and all that! Chin up lads!

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season