Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (H) League Saturday 3/2/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:37 pm

North Staffs Saddler wrote:Every time he got the ball at his feet today, he was either tackled out of it or first touch was very poor, won nothing in the air. Only seen him at Bescot so far but not impressed. In any case the punt has been our attacking method for a long time now. Whilst I go to see us win I also expect to be entertained, not much of that recently.
What would you all be saying if we were mid-table and playing like this. ???

That's irrelavent (? sp), because we're not mid-table, we're top.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:02 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Having seen him play twice, I can see that he is at his best when he gets the ball into feet around the box.

Having seen every minute he has been on the pitch for us, I don't see anything from him apart from pace.

He had the ball played to his feet a few times today and his first touch was awful. I don't see the same criticism on this thread from the people applauding JC's departure this week.

For a big bloke, he is a wimp. Why did he keep holding his head after nothing challenges and stop playing while the ball was in play? I've never seen Mark Wright do that yet he is constantly accused of wimping out of challenges. Will the criticism ever be fair on this site?

The service to the strikers is poor but if your first touch is that bad you won't have a chance to have a shot on goal.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:03 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Worst performance of the season, truely diabolical.

Ince - I would personally drop him for Bossu next match.

Westwood - crap, but improved marginally when he went to centre back.
Dann - So, so. Looked edgy by the mess that was aroudn him.
Gerrard - Get this USELESS excuse for a football out of club.
Fox - Best of a bad bunch I think, defended well.

Wrack - Ineffective and ended playing the famous right wing come left wong position, which we all know of course :shock:
Dobson - Poor but....Looked like he was on his own in midfield.
Pead - Ineffective again.
Keates - Completed the narrowest midfield ever. Did nothing.

Sam - Ineffective
Butler - Ineffective. (Is there a theme developing here?)

Subs:

Ishmel - few flashes of skill but guess what ? ineffective.
Wright - Mollusc boy did it again with another sh@ performance.
Par - Not up to speed at all, cant cope with thep hysical aspect, but i would like to see
how he plays in a team that played football and not hoof ball.

Overall we were crap, absolutely no width, the most worrying thing is that we didnt imrpove with two attacking wingers, Danns goal was world class, absolutely, imho best goal we have ever seen at Bescot. The substitues were ineffective. And this is the key phrase 'ineffectve'. There was just nothing out there today. We need some experience in the middle and we need a striker. Gerrard is a disgrace, his first half performance was disgusting. Get rid.

However, we have gained a point on a day when other teams have failed, so its not all doom and gloom, but we have to do something in the week.

Get a thesaurus. :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:09 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Having seen him play twice, I can see that he is at his best when he gets the ball into feet around the box.

Having seen every minute he has been on the pitch for us, I don't see anything from him apart from pace.

He had the ball played to his feet a few times today and his first touch was awful. I don't see the same criticism on this thread from the people applauding JC's departure this week.

For a big bloke, he is a wimp. Why did he keep holding his head after nothing challenges and stop playing while the ball was in play? I've never seen Mark Wright do that yet he is constantly accused of wimping out of challenges. Will the criticism ever be fair on this site?

The service to the strikers is poor but if your first touch is that bad you won't have a chance to have a shot on goal.

He doesn't get close enough to a challenge :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:41 pm

What a load of tosh.

I don't want to be the doom-mongerer of the board, but I've been saying for a while that teams are now sussing us. Unfortunately, yesterday was yet another example of this. The increasingly worrying realisation is that DD isn't very adept and changing things to counteract this. We play one way and one way only, if the opposition stop us playing then there is no alteration of tactics/formation from the sidelines.

I'll probably get slated for this from the "Thee shall not criticise DD" fans. Yes, we're top of the league, but hands on hearts, how long for ?

Well getting rid of JC was a good move wasn't it ? And replacing him with a carbon f ooking copy who is probably on double the wages just compunded the cock-up. As MMF quite rightly points out, where is the criticism of Laserquests crap performance from those quick to rubbish JC ? There is absolutely no difference between the two, yet one get's much more stick than the other.

The tactics and gameplan yesterday can be summed up by how many we put in our own box when defending corners. 1 - 0 down at home, in the first half and we put all 11 men in our own box to defend a corner ???? WTF is that supposed to be about. Pathetic !

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:42 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

:P

But in seriousness, if he does lose the ball, he never shirks his responsibility and chases back and covers defensively.

Twice Laserquest lost the ball and was moaning about non-injuries while the play was going on. That's the kind of thing that can cost you goals or make you miss out on opportunities going forward.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

But in seriousness, if he does lose the ball, he never shirks his responsibility and chases back and covers defensively.

Twice Laserquest lost the ball and was moaning about non-injuries while the play was going on. That's the kind of thing that can cost you goals or make you miss out on opportunities going forward.

Did you also notice when the keeper had the bal;l at his feet all he had to do was run at him..Dobson was screaming at him to do it and he wouldn't! Butler then ran at the keeper. If his attitude is like that he wont get no where.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Agree - twas to wind you up.

But - I did think PC had a good game at Macclesfield - very similar to the Butler role. Not sure about the two playing together.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Dave Roe wrote:What a load of tosh.

I don't want to be the doom-mongerer of the board, but I've been saying for a while that teams are now sussing us. Unfortunately, yesterday was yet another example of this. The increasingly worrying realisation is that DD isn't very adept and changing things to counteract this. We play one way and one way only, if the opposition stop us playing then there is no alteration of tactics/formation from the sidelines.

I'll probably get slated for this from the "Thee shall not criticise DD" fans. Yes, we're top of the league, but hands on hearts, how long for ?

Well getting rid of JC was a good move wasn't it ? And replacing him with a carbon f ooking copy who is probably on double the wages just compunded the cock-up. As MMF quite rightly points out, where is the criticism of Laserquests crap performance from those quick to rubbish JC ? There is absolutely no difference between the two, yet one get's much more stick than the other.

The tactics and gameplan yesterday can be summed up by how many we put in our own box when defending corners. 1 - 0 down at home, in the first half and we put all 11 men in our own box to defend a corner ???? WTF is that supposed to be about. Pathetic !

Not disagreeing with you - because I think that is silly - BUT, DD has done that since day 1 - I suspect you wont find a corner where we have left anyone up front. It is one of his things I guess. I have never understood it - should always leave the "light-weights" up front who wont defend a corner anyway (i.e. a winger or the "shorter" striker.)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:26 pm

aldridge steve wrote:But - I did think PC had a good game at Macclesfield - very similar to the Butler role. Not sure about the two playing together.

He ran around a lot yes. :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:But - I did think PC had a good game at Macclesfield - very similar to the Butler role. Not sure about the two playing together.

He ran around a lot yes. :D

Isn't that his job :o Oh no - I forgot there is something else... remind me?

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:06 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Agree - twas to wind you up.

But - I did think PC had a good game at Macclesfield - very similar to the Butler role. Not sure about the two playing together.

I dont think he did, as I stated on the Macclesfield thread, he lets the opposition take the ball off him too easily and then just stands there in amazement. Should have got Constable back and left PC where he came from imho, for what its worth.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:08 am

Dave Roe wrote:What a load of tosh.

Furhter more from your point on defending corners, one of our biggest problems is the way we dont defend with two banks of four. Keates and Dobson fall back in to defensive ranks, effectively creating a central defence of four players - which in my opinion only serves to crowd and confuse the box. It also means that when we do get a header out or a clearance, our midfield is no where to be seen, so the ball is most likely going to come back straight at us.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:38 am

For what its worth , here are the players ratings out of 10 from todays Sun, for saturdays performance

Ince 7- Westwood 7 -Gerrard 1- Dann 6 -Fox 7 -Wrack 5 - Dobson 5 - Pead 6- Keates 7 -Butler 7 -Sam 5

Subs - Denomtagnac 3- Wright 5 - Cederqvist 6 .

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:04 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:For what its worth , here are the players ratings out of 10 from todays Sun, for saturdays performance

Ince 7- Westwood 7 -Gerrard 1- Dann 6 -Fox 7 -Wrack 5 - Dobson 5 - Pead 6- Keates 7 -Butler 7 -Sam 5

Fox... 7 :shock:

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:11 am

philthesaddler wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:For what its worth , here are the players ratings out of 10 from todays Sun, for saturdays performance

Fox... 7 :shock:

I know Phil , I don't think he found a red shirt with a pass all the game .

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season