Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (H) League Saturday 3/2/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Tarka
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:58 pm

Cederqvist was completely anonymous today, which is disappointing after his cracking performance at Macc. But everyone was pants today and the person with the hardest job today was the one deciding the man of the match out of the steaming pile on the pitch.

This was just one of those days. Lack of drive, spirit, ideas and up against a better team on the day who were clearly up for the fight. And I had a hangover. One to forget. Quickly, please.

Tarka
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Well I was quite happy with the fight but they just seemed to be playing the wrong kind of game. Too many long balls, misplaced passes and poor strategy.......DD must take some of the rap for that, but we are still 4 points up on the rest so....... :wink:[/quote]

Agree - sure we didn't string more than about 4 passes together all game.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Kiansmom wrote:Ha ha to all those idiots who leave before the end and block my view, You all deserved to miss Zidanns wonder goal!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Didnt think you were going Linda?

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:10 pm

Cannot understand why fans are saying Rochdale were poor , they looked a decent side to me .
Difficult to find any positives from such a poor performance , Scott Dann's goal will go down as one of the best ever seen at Bescot and Chris Westwood's second half performance at centre back i thought was outstanding.

When the team was announced i said to my son , chances in this game would be scarse , even after the introduction of Ishmel and Wright we created nothing and never looked like scoring untill Dann's wonder goal.

I could not bring myself to clap the players of at the end , and said so to Dave Roe, its hard to take in just how poor we were today.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:15 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:Ha ha to all those idiots who leave before the end and block my view, You all deserved to miss Zidanns wonder goal!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I wasn't but I had an offer I couldn't refuse :wink:

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:22 pm

It was definatley one of 'those' days today, but then again so was last Saturday.

The pitch obvoiusly doesn't help, but that doesn't explain our complete inability to even look threatening from set pieces. From the two games we must have had over twenty corners and attacking position free kicks all of which came to jack.

So in two weeks we've scored two goals, one a gift and one wonder goal, lets hope we keep the away form up.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:42 pm

I definatly think the direction of play has something to do with it.....
When they are attacking, (i use the word loosly) towards the F2G stand in the second half they play a lot beter. Shouldnt make a difference I know, but iI feel it does.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:51 pm

and another thing, tired of reading Rochdale or whoever have done their homework on us.
Don't we do our homework on the opposition or does it come as a surprise ot DD everyweek how the opposition play ?

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:07 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:

Yea how did you know i was going :D

WFCNIL

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Graydon48 wrote:and another thing, tired of reading Rochdale or whoever have done their homework on us.
Don't we do our homework on the opposition or does it come as a surprise ot DD everyweek how the opposition play ?

Yeh That w...ker Money who has turned this football club around so that we have been top of the league for the majority of the season.

If I was Money I would f..k of to Coventry and hope that there were supporters there that actually understood football and didnt throw a wobbler every time we dropped a point.

I for one am giving up looking at the crap that is repeatedly written on this site . We win a game every post is about how many opoints we are going to get and that we will be promoted with two months of the season to go, But then my god we draw a game play badly and its sell this bloke the wheels are coming off etc !!

Come back Merscum you fu,,ing lot deserved him

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:17 pm

WFCNIL, well said.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:19 pm

WFCNIL wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:and another thing, tired of reading Rochdale or whoever have done their homework on us.

Yeh That w...ker Money who has turned this football club around so that we have been top of the league for the majority of the season.

If I was Money I would f..k of to Coventry and hope that there were supporters there that actually understood football and didnt throw a wobbler every time we dropped a point.

I for one am giving up looking at the crap that is repeatedly written on this site . We win a game every post is about how many opoints we are going to get and that we will be promoted with two months of the season to go, But then my god we draw a game play badly and its sell this bloke the wheels are coming off etc !!
HERE HERE F***** HERE, WELL SAID

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:24 pm

WFCNIL wrote:

so you are saying that DD is some kind of super human , who cannot make errors.
get tactics and selection wrong sometimes.
Last edited by Duke on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WFCNIL

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:28 pm

No I am saying for a 4th division team who were absolutely sh..e last season we are extremely lucky to have a manager of his ability

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:29 pm

tape66 wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:

Yea how did you know i was going :D

might have been the 25 pm's you sent me :wink:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:30 pm

WFCNIL wrote:No I am saying for a 4th division team who were absolutely sh..e last season we are extremely lucky to have a manager of his ability

well said! :lol:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:35 pm

DAVEDEAN. There are no super humans plying their trade in this division. The nearest thing to that description are the supporters of the teams in it turning up week in, week out.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:39 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:DAVEDEAN. There are no super humans plying their trade in this division. The nearest thing to that description are the supporters of the teams in it turning up week in, week out.

and Ian Roper :D :wink:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:42 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:DAVEDEAN. There are no super humans plying their trade in this division. The nearest thing to that description are the supporters of the teams in it turning up week in, week out.

and Ian Roper :D :wink:

errr, go on then, I'll give you that one :!:

redalways

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:44 pm

Said last week we were bad and getting worse. Today we were worse.

We have not had a good performance at Bescot for months, but nothing has been done about it. Money has picked the same group of players every match and uses the same tactics.

Our midfield is worse now than for years. Dobson and Pead / Keates in the centre of midfield were relegation standard today in terms of attacking play. They did not demand the ball, but when they got it they had no idea what to do with it.

There is no pace or passion in the team. Sam is perhaps the best of a bad bunch in terms of creative play, but Money takes him off every week. Can not believe that Kris Taylor has not featured in a creative midfield role, when nothing else seems to be working.

Last week I was ridiculed for daring to criticise Ince. He has made brilliant reaction saves, but has also dropped a far number of 'daisy cutters'. If Bossu is a capable deputy, he should at least expect 10 - 15 games a season. He should certainly be playing in the easier home games to keep him sharp and give Ince competition.

Money's after-match summary was also far from convincing. He admitted that the team was poor, but blamed a dry pitch. Ever thought of using a hosepipe? As for saying we could not breakdown a 10 man defence and that we were camped in their half after the break, could not see that myself. They worked hard, had a go at us and with a bit of class upfront would heve beaten us easily. We also made them look far better than they really were by constantly giving the ball away.

This is not a mini slump. It has been building up for months and is largely down to Money using only half the squad, even when we are playing badly. He also has no imagination whatsoever. We play Plan A or nothing. I want to see us succeed and get promotion, but the automatic promotion places are far from certain.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:24 am

WFCNIL wrote:

Kind of agree - but I understand and expect debate on here - after all that's what a forum is for - what I dont accept is the negativity shown at Bescot. DD could be forgiven for thinking WhyTF do I bother. He knows they didn't play well, he knows the problems and I'm sure he is trying to resolve them, but you can only do so much until they get on the pitch. The pitch is awful - there were at least half a doxen times yesterday that one or other player was slated for a bad pass when the ball had bobbled just as they kicked it - anyone who has ever played on parks pitches will tell you that it is impossible to "allow for". Plenty of normal passes went astray too - no excuse for those I know. Bad game - but in the grand scheme of things - not a disaster worth booing the team for.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:01 am

I'm not cross or angry or looking for (e)scape(d)goats, I'm just really disappointed that my team couldn't beat Rochdale. However much they were up for it they were a shed load of points worse than us before the match. We should, and could, do better.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:36 am

I don't know why he went for the wholesale changes so early on. Completely the opposite of last week and yet in the first half yesterday they didn't create a chance (even their goal wasn't a chance, another "Ince moment" - don't want to dwell - every player we see is playing 4th division football for a reason) and we created three stick on chances, so any sort of football karma should have seen us one maybe two goals up and coasting. The changes disprupted us and until the 93rd minute when Dann had his "f**k the lot of ya" moment we didn't create a second half chance and they had enough chances to secure the game comfortably.
DD fancies long ball and since Tommy Wright arrived "to give us something different" and now PC is here the punt is our favoured attacking method.
WFCNIL - everybody is behind DD and unlike last week most people seem to be in absolute agreement with DD's assessment of the game. Any organisation should expect its customers to be demanding with a certain level of expectation. Over the season we're way in advance of that expectation, but the last 2 home games have seen us slip beneath the standard we have set ourselves. There's nowt wrong with us debating with why that has happened and what should be done. On this day last year I was at Brentford with plenty of others who post on here to see Mersons last game in charge. Given the passion in your post no doubt you were too, so you'll know that at present there is an undercurrent of concern that is a million miles away from the anger directed at PM at brentford on that cr@p/fantastic day.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:46 am

One thing not mentioned from yesterday , was the ref's decision not to play the advantage rule , when Keates was clear on goal in the first half .
Last edited by Duke on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:49 am

Exile wrote:I'm not cross or angry or looking for (e)scape(d)goats, I'm just really disappointed that my team couldn't beat Rochdale. However much they were up for it they were a shed load of points worse than us before the match. We should, and could, do better.

Got to say that on reflection Rochdale were not really 'up for it' - if they had been they would have beaten us by big numbers. They did not even score a goal - we were poor. DD looked well p!%%ed off with the team and I am sure he has put a rocket under them.

To say our season is over is rubbish, but to say there is no problem is equally rubbish. DD will continue to earn his keep :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:01 am

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:52 am

Rochdale were gash.

We were gasher (I've made that word up).

It seems we're not allowed to criticise DD just because we're top.

The booing was bang out of order.

We're a point further clear, and I fancy our chances more against Hartlepool and Lincoln than I do teams who'll put 10 behind the ball and try to break up our game.

And The Rakes were poor live, wish I hadn't rushed back down here to see them now.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:06 pm

PT wrote:and now PC is here the punt is our favoured attacking method.

That's one of the things I really don't understand. Money will have had him watched (or watched him himself) a number of times. Having seen him play twice, I can see that he is at his best when he gets the ball into feet around the box, so surely Money knows this as well. I think we have a tendency to panic when teams play ugly football against us, which is why we lower ourselves to that level and do the same. I don't honestly believe that we practice the long ball game in training.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:21 pm

WFC_Rob wrote: I think we have a tendency to panic when teams play ugly football against us, which is why we lower ourselves to that level and do the same. I don't honestly believe that we practice the long ball game in training.

Is this not what some of the Newcastle Jets said about him though, whenh he joined us? That when he ran out of ides, they resorted to playing long ball football and it didn't work for them.

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:39 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
PT wrote:and now PC is here the punt is our favoured attacking method.

That's one of the things I really don't understand. Money will have had him watched (or watched him himself) a number of times. Having seen him play twice, I can see that he is at his best when he gets the ball into feet around the box, so surely Money knows this as well. I think we have a tendency to panic when teams play ugly football against us, which is why we lower ourselves to that level and do the same. I don't honestly believe that we practice the long ball game in training.

Every time he got the ball at his feet today, he was either tackled out of it or first touch was very poor, won nothing in the air. Only seen him at Bescot so far but not impressed. In any case the punt has been our attacking method for a long time now. Whilst I go to see us win I also expect to be entertained, not much of that recently.
What would you all be saying if we were mid-table and playing like this. ???

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season