Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (H) League Saturday 3/2/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:37 pm

...And to think the only thing stopping my lady friend and I from going today was an eye infection.

I should become ill more often :D

BJ

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:44 pm

Well, that was certainly not the performance of a top six side, let alone champions.

Let's be frank, The 'Dale were pretty sh!t as well, a very average side with no real pace or skill. But we were no better.

Hard to judge the strikers, who never got the ball to feet.

I thought Dobson was crap - slow and inclined to hoot it.

Why don't we play the ball on the deck?

We have simply got to get better or it's the play-offs for us. Even the defence was slow to the ball and indecisive on several occasions. If we had lost there could have been no complaints. Hardly a move put together in 90 mins.

The 'Pool and Dongs are the ones to watch, particularly the Pool who are on fire.

One of the most sedate and poor perfomances you could care to see.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:46 pm

People blame the players for hoofing it? I think youll fnd its DD thats telling them their tactics.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:52 pm

We seriously need a good week playing 5 a side, and only 5 a side, that might teach them the benefits of passing and moving.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:53 pm

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:Also the excuses are coming from Money now...."pitch too dry", "pitch too sandy", "pitch too small".... :roll:

Can you deny any of those?

BJ

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:54 pm

Agreed.

When you are watching a bunch of Donkeys like the Dale passing neat little triangles around your midfield before cocking it up because they are nbasically crap and then letting Ince pick it up to launch a huge kick to Butler/Sam/Ciderpissed to try and knock on to, erm, no one, things are clearly not right.

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:03 pm

agree with phil and met the midfield was so narrow rochdale just bypassed us with long balls

The Buck

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:10 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Fox - Best of a bad bunch I think, defended well.

Was I watching the same game?

Daniel Fox was truly awful today, he hoofed balls into the corners for Butler/Sam/Cederqvist to chase, and apart from the odd saving tackle did nothing.

Absolutely the worst performance of the season. At least we can say that last week we were undone by a pub side and a crap referee. Today we were outplayed by a team that were lively, organised, disciplilned, and generally sharper than us in every department.

We got away with it again, and remain top of a dire division because Hartlepool won at Swindon.
We will not get away with it for much longer.

Why did we not sign anybody in January?
We are patently lacking creativity.
Ishmel's head went down very quickly when an organised defence sussed him out.
In fact, the body language of the whole team worried me today, it sort of said, "What do we do to score a goal?"

Great finish by Scott Dann, but I was disgusted with the roar that greeted the final whistle - a draw at home against Rochdale!
Whoopee -f****ing-doo!
Last edited by The Buck on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stalky

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:10 pm

PhiltheSaddler's comments are spot-on. A dire performance with entertainment level - ZERO (apart from a marvellous goal from Scott Dann).

IMO things will not change until we go back to building up our attacks through midfield (assuming that our midfielders can actually pass to a Walsall player). Let's go back to the Goalkeeper rolling out the ball to a fullback and setting our attack going that way. This booting it into the clouds is not the Walsall way of playing. Surely this is in DD's hands to set the tactics.

Everyone played badly, but the strikers really do not have much of a chance playing the way we do.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Twas total cack today..... :cry:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:27 pm

In short, we were saved by a 20 year old centre back who said to himself "right, if you lot aren't going to do anything about this shambles, I will."

Without repeating what others have said about everyone having a nightmare etc, the problems all stem from the fact that we haven't got a creative midfielder in the squad. There's nobody in the side who drops deep to receive the ball, and builds up some service for the strikers. Dobson often gets the ball, but is forced to play backwards or sideways because of the lack of movement throughout the side. After an extremely short burst of form in midfield, Pead has now found himself drifting around the pitch like a ghost. Darren Wrack could potentially do the job in there, but whether or not he'll get the chance remains to be seen.

I thought Rochdale were probably the most effective league two side I've seen all season. Yes, at the back they booted it as far as they could, which isn't pretty, but they had mobility in the final third which didn't half get our defence in a mess at times.
In spite of that however, we could have been leading at half time had Hector Sam buried a header which was easier to score than put over the bar, and Keates hadn't seen a near perfect shot defended excellently on the line with the goalkeeper beaten.

Money brought on Ishmel who looked completely disinterested. I'll be interested to see what the future holds for him after today.
Cederqvist shows flashes of quality, but still looks lightweight and a bit lost most of the time. Having said that, he's come into this side at a time where the service we are giving to the strikers is at an all time low. Butler is good in the air, but even he struggles to make anything out of the dross we launch at him from the back.

I think Westwood gives us a bit more organisation at the back when he plays in the centre. He wasn't great today, but his positioning on a couple of occassions saved us any further embaassment. I don't think Gerrard and Dann play very well together, especially when they're up against 2 pretty quick, mobile strikers rather than the meatheads commonly employed by other sides in this league such as Macclesfield and Boston.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:29 pm

I was impressed with Rochdale, good movement and attacking and if it hadn't been for some woeful finishing, they'd have beaten us. Worth their draw.

Having said that, how many high, hopeful balls have to be pumped forwards towards marked men before 'we' realise that it's really not producing anything.

Great goal though and euphoric celebrations at the end. It was 'only' Rochdale but we are in the same division....... and should be grateful of any last gasp goal and the point that keeps us 4 points ahead :wink:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Listening to commentary where the emphasis was on our inability to create chances & now reading people's comments I am even more concerned. I think what is done before next week is absolutely vital. I hope Money recognises that there is a problem.Hartlepool are going to be a team brimming with confidence & I wonder how we are going to get something out of it.
I was listening to some Grimsby fans talking on radio humberside about their 6-0 walloping of Boston (who they described as the worst team they'd ever played against) and they described the ease with which they created chances and yet we only managed a route one goal against Boston and barely anything else.
I know we're still clear at the top but it's the gap to fourth that's more worrying. I hope I'm not being unduly pessimistic but I am definitely concerned.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 pm

One thing worth noting (as Richard Money already has) is the inevitable fact that every game we play at home between now and the end of the season will see the visiting side play just like Rochdale and Boston. It looked to me like Rochdale had done their homework on us, and it paid off for them.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Listening to commentary where the emphasis was on our inability to create chances & now reading people's comments I am even more concerned. I think what is done before next week is absolutely vital. I hope Money recognises that there is a problem.Hartlepool are going to be a team brimming with confidence & I wonder how we are going to get something out of it.
I was listening to some Grimsby fans talking on radio humberside about their 6-0 walloping of Boston (who they described as the worst team they'd ever played against) and they described the ease with which they created chances and yet we only managed a route one goal against Boston and barely anything else.
I know we're still clear at the top but it's the gap to fourth that's more worrying. I hope I'm not being unduly pessimistic but I am definitely concerned.

Here here Hullsaddler. League position is one thing - and I wouldn't change it. But performance wise something has to change.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:I was impressed with Rochdale, good movement and attacking and if it hadn't been for some woeful finishing, they'd have beaten us. Worth their draw.

Having said that, how many high, hopeful balls have to be pumped forwards towards marked men before 'we' realise that it's really not producing anything.

Great goal though and euphoric celebrations at the end. It was 'only' Rochdale but we are in the same division....... and should be grateful of any last gasp goal and the point that keeps us 4 points ahead :wink:

I agree that Rochdale were "the better team" on the day - and should be given credit for their battling. They weren't "dirty" they were just robust - and are as you quite rightly pointed out - the same division as us.

I think Scott (Zi)Dann should be arrested for robbing Rochdale of 2 points - I almost felt like apologising to the travelling fans today - almost :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:41 pm

AC wrote:...And to think the only thing stopping my lady friend and I from going today was an eye infection.

I should become ill more often :D

You missed the goal of the decade :idea:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:47 pm

aldridge steve wrote:I think Scott (Zi)Dann should be arrested for robbing Rochdale of 2 points - I almost felt like apologising to the travelling fans today - almost :lol:

:lol:
A group of them were singing 'the football league is upside down' in the car park after the game. That was until a Walsall fan pointed out the fact that they'd have left with nothing had Clayton Ince not had one of his 'charitable' moments. :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:50 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:I think Scott (Zi)Dann should be arrested for robbing Rochdale of 2 points - I almost felt like apologising to the travelling fans today - almost :lol:

A group of them were singing 'the football league is upside down' in the car park after the game. That was until a Walsall fan pointed out the fact that they'd have left with nothing had Clayton Ince not had one of his 'charitable' moments. :lol:

True - I have to admit - they didn't really create an awful amount of goal-scoring chances. I have also just remembered the one that Sam missed from 1 yard out early on - ouch!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:57 pm

Top of the league and 4 points clear, totally clueless and dire!!

MOSOC :roll:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:02 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

True - I have to admit - they didn't really create an awful amount of goal-scoring chances. I have also just remembered the one that Sam missed from 1 yard out early on - ouch!

I think Ince made two bread and butter floor saves in the 2nd half, but they had a shot which flashed past the left hand upright and really should have been scored. Keates had a shot cleared off the line and Sam's header cannoned up over the bar in the 1st, but we hardly tested their keeper in the 2nd :(

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:07 pm

First, I think the comments about Rochdale have been generally harsh - they were easily the best team we've played at home, I think, a world away from the dross they offered on the first day of the season, and they were absolutely devoid of luck to go away with only a point having played some great stuff in the first half and contained us brilliantly until the last minute of stoppage time in the second.

But us - we were dire for the most part. We started off set up as if we were playing an away game at a top-of-the-table side, with no pace anywhere, no attacking outlets, no particular options. That was the first problem. Just three minutes later Ince had his howler - we can all forgive him because of his heroics until now, but it was still a shame. Then for the rest of the half we were simply outplayed, no threat coming from anywhere.

Second half we actually got set up to attack which was nice to see, but still created next to nothing because - and I believe some of us have been saying this since the first week of August - we have no creativity in midfield. Pead isn't good enough to do it more than one game in ten or something, Keates offers little except from set pieces, Dobson is defensive - and that's it as far as central midfield goes. We need something else, we really do.

Wrack was atrocious. People said he was good in the week so I won't write him off, but he played much as he did before his injury, ie standing around a lot, never looking for the ball, and giving it away all the time on the few occasions he did get it. Keates on the other wing just chases after people, often fouls them, and then steps up to deliver very good free kicks and corners, and spends most of his time about 30 yards away from the touchline leaving the left back completely exposed.

Gerrard looks a shade of the player he was, and Dann looks far weaker when Roper isn't alongside him. The only real quality at the back came from Westwood, who I thought was the best of a bad bunch overall and deserved his man of the match.

I was excited to see Ishmel come on, but it was plain to see immediately why he hasn't been playing. He hasn't got the brain. Simple as that. To be fair, Rochdale had done their homework even on our subs and as soon as he and Wright were on, they changed their game to stifle them, but even so Ishmel may have blown his big opportunity. Wright on the other wing was no better.

Up front Butler worked as hard as he always does, but the needless fouls he gives away are frustrating. Sam didn't do a fat lot and when Cederqvist came on he made James Constable look like Thierry Henry.

Very disappointing. Last week we could say that we were unlucky with the ref and were outmuscled. Today we were simply outplayed. Worrying.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:18 pm

Yeah it was dire again today, but I've got used to it now...

If we go up end of season, I won't complain.....

Promotion is everything

By any means necessary.

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:01 pm

yes we was dire, and that is all im going to say on the game today!

other than that i aint the happiest fan in the world at the minute but i am feeling a little better than what i was at half past 4 today when we was 1-0 down!
Scott Danns goal was a corker, brilliant goal, if it wasnt for his goal, and just his goal, we had been humiliated!

We are still top of the league, now clear by 4 points, and on our way out of this league!

UTS!!

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:In short, we were saved by a 20 year old centre back who said to himself "right, if you lot aren't going to do anything about this shambles, I will."

I disagree. The 'thought bubble' I pictured over his head when he picked up the ball said, "F*** this for a game of soldiers!"

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:06 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:In short, we were saved by a 20 year old centre back who said to himself "right, if you lot aren't going to do anything about this shambles, I will."

I disagree. The 'thought bubble' I pictured over his head when he picked up the ball said, "F*** this for a game of soldiers!"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:24 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:"noone can be pleased with their performance" :?:

Image..........................."Indeed, I was very pleased with their performance "

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Up front Butler worked as hard as he always does, but the needless fouls he gives away are frustrating. Sam didn't do a fat lot and when Cederqvist came on he made James Constable look like Thierry Henry.

I thought Sam was excellent, held up the ball well and made a nuisance of himself. It can't be easy for him and Butler to feed off scraps from the punted long balls forward. Cederqvist has some improvements to make before he's competent.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:50 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Up front Butler worked as hard as he always does, but the needless fouls he gives away are frustrating. Sam didn't do a fat lot and when Cederqvist came on he made James Constable look like Thierry Henry.

I thought Sam was excellent, held up the ball well and made a nuisance of himself. It can't be easy for him and Butler to feed off scraps from the punted long balls forward. Cederqvist has some improvements to make before he's competent.

On today's display he needs a total attitude transplant. Dosh was fuming with him from the first minute he came on. At one point shouted "Tell him to F*&^%$g get on with it!".

There seemed to be a general lack of fight out there today - we are not playing as a team at the minute. Keates and Butler showed fight today and Dann showed fire. The rest would rather have been somewhere else.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:58 pm

cyclothymic wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Up front Butler worked as hard as he always does, but the needless fouls he gives away are frustrating. Sam didn't do a fat lot and when Cederqvist came on he made James Constable look like Thierry Henry.

On today's display he needs a total attitude transplant. Dosh was fuming with him from the first minute he came on. At one point shouted "Tell him to F*&^%$g get on with it!".

There seemed to be a general lack of fight out there today - we are not playing as a team at the minute. Keates and Butler showed fight today and Dann showed fire. The rest would rather have been somewhere else.

Well I was quite happy with the fight but they just seemed to be playing the wrong kind of game. Too many long balls, misplaced passes and poor strategy.......DD must take some of the rap for that, but we are still 4 points up on the rest so....... :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season