Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Maccesfield Town (A) League. Tuesday 30/1/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:28 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Exile wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Exile wrote:Wright showed why dropping him doesn't add anything.

No point going into too much detail as there are 2 threads about the bloke already, but I find that comment particularly odd given that we've just won 2-0 away from home. The result tells me that DD got his team selection spot on, regardless of what things sounded like on any type of commentary.

What's odd about it. Bugger all happened down the right in the first half.

As I said elsewhere, that system would be shocking at home.

What it says to me is that, whatever our individual opinions/prejudices about particular players, DD picks the right team to get a result 95% of the time. I like Wright, I think he adds something to the team - but maybe I'm wrong about that. However I also like DD, I think he is an excellent manager - I know I'm not wrong about that.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Great Result.

Listened to it..We seemed much better. Few good chances from par.

Gap's starting to open between us and Lincoln in third place..A win saturday will be great! With swindon playing hartlepool..

UTS :D

redalways

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:37 pm

Great result on a night when we should not have expected quality as well. Ground out three very welcome points.

Money surprised me by bringing Wrack back. Not an easy game for him, but a great choice - credit where it's due. Lets hope he can provide the attacking flair on Saturday.

Anyone know whether Pead or Keates played centre midfield. For me it should be Keates, with Pead liking to run with the ball.

Saturday should be about result and performance. If we get it, we can get on a role again after the recent wobble.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Exile wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Exile wrote:Wright showed why dropping him doesn't add anything.

No point going into too much detail as there are 2 threads about the bloke already, but I find that comment particularly odd given that we've just won 2-0 away from home. The result tells me that DD got his team selection spot on, regardless of what things sounded like on any type of commentary.

What's odd about it. Bugger all happened down the right in the first half.

But enough happened elsewhere for us to get the result that mattered. Registered Saddler makes a decent point when he says that Money picked the correct team tonight. Something must have happened down our right in the first half to stop them scoring.

Mozza_saddler

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:24 pm

just got back. Good performance from the lads overall, defence was brilliant, delt with macclesfield's long balls time and time again, ceder looked lively, and no-one springs too mind to have had a bad game. Deano wasnt brilliant despite his 2 goals, corners were poor, but his free kick was quality!

UTS!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:27 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
Exile wrote:Said Butler had diaorrhea before the game, but wanted to play - must've cacked hisself to ask to be taken off!

Was Gaz at the game ? There will be one excited bunny at Moss Rose if he is there :lol:

He was at the game, I had the excitable bunny jumping around behind me, entertaining chap he is too - you gotta love him and his red hair. He would have been un-containable had he known the above :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:30 pm

Mozza_saddler wrote:just got back. Good performance from the lads overall, defence was brilliant, delt with macclesfield's long balls time and time again, ceder looked lively, and no-one springs too mind to have had a bad game. Deano wasnt brilliant despite his 2 goals, corners were poor, but his free kick was quality!

UTS!

A good summing up. Keates corners were Pap - Wrighty's were much better once on from t'other side. Thought Par had a great second half with a Butler-esq performance. Wrack did well in midfield and showed composure at times. A cold night, but well worth the trip. Good to see some friendly faces too. Great turnout too - 400?

Mozza_saddler

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:35 pm

yeh definately, their was atleast 100 seated

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 pm

thought Wrack made a big difference. Composed on the ball and nearly always kept possession. He was obviously nackered late on but he kep battling. A fully fit Wracky maybe just what we need. Agree about the Ciderman, ran his sox off, an encouraging performance and once he gets fully used to this league and gets some regualr service he will hopefully bang a few in. Keates was awesome in the 1st and last minute :lol:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:13 am

Great game - missed the penalty (decided to have that extra pint in the Golden Lion :( ).

First half - we let Macc at us a little too much for my liking. Defence coped well enough apart from hitting the crossbar.

Second half - much better. Showed that Macc are really not good and I wished we'd taken more chances. IMHO we should have put the game to bed before Deano's cracking free kick - if only he could take better corners!!!!

IMHO We did the job but I think we should have won by a bigger margin (given the second half display).

Enjoyed Borat playing up front for Macc :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:38 am

Good second half performance, Par played very well as a lone striker in the second half! Good news for the future, he looked to have got used tot he physical side.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:58 am

http://www.expressandstar.co.uk/2007/01/30/walsall-to-settle-ince-grudge/

i know this is a bit late, but maybe this was a factor in the win?

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:04 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:Great game - missed the penalty (decided to have that extra pint in the Golden Lion :( ).

First half - we let Macc at us a little too much for my liking. Defence coped well enough apart from hitting the crossbar.

Second half - much better. Showed that Macc are really not good and I wished we'd taken more chances. IMHO we should have put the game to bed before Deano's cracking free kick - if only he could take better corners!!!!

IMHO We did the job but I think we should have won by a bigger margin (given the second half display).

Enjoyed Borat playing up front for Macc :D

I was in there too, but didn't miss the first goal :wink: worth freezing for! :lol:

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:13 am

There were quite a few of us in there trying to play pool. 8)

Belgiansaddler and myself managed to speak to blazing saddler, but Kiansmom was doing something with three small arrows...............throwing them at the wall, I think? :D

Didn't miss the first goal either, after I'd found the door that wasn't locked, to get out of the pub, that is :?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:52 am

Must admit I nearly cack myself when WM said Wolves and Blues had finished and the goal horn went off! :?

Anyway... A fantastic win after a couple of difficult games, 3 points clear but more importantly 8 points clear of 4th with 16 games remaining. Long way to go but that gap looks healthy.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:16 am

Willy-Nilly wrote:There were quite a few of us in there trying to play pool. 8)

Belgiansaddler and myself managed to speak to blazing saddler, but Kiansmom was doing something with three small arrows...............throwing them at the wall, I think? :D

Didn't miss the first goal either, after I'd found the door that wasn't locked, to get out of the pub, that is :?

you should have come and said hello, I wasn't playing darts I'm useless was merely spectating. Lost at table football too :cry:

Who moved the goalposts?

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:38 am

Excellent result on the back of Saturday. Nice to see Wrack brought back into the fold as he does give us a bit more creativity from midfield.

Let's hope all the pessimistic views following Saturday (myself included) were not warranted after all and that we easily secure 9 or 10 wins which will see us almost certainly promoted. Tough set of away games to follow though...

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:53 am

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:Nice to see Wrack brought back into the fold as he does give us a bit more creativity from midfield.

Sorry mate, you aint gonna get that with Wrack, he's basically better than Fox but does a similar job, he hasn't taken a player on since 1999

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:05 am

he also hasn't given the ball away since 1999. A fit Wrack is just what the doctor ordered :wink:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:10 am

belgiansaddler wrote:he also hasn't given the ball away since 1999. A fit Wrack is just what the doctor ordered :wink:

Hail the crab

ws10saddler
UTS Regular

Location: Resolute Insurance Services, PM for Commerical & Personal Insurance Quotes

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:28 am

Kiansmom wrote:

you should have come and said hello, I wasn't playing darts I'm useless was merely spectating. Lost at table football too :cry:

Which was was you then - I got in there just before half 7 for a swift beer with my dad - you know (of) my dad - he's the roundish (I say fat) bloke you speak to from Tipton? We spoke to either your or the other lady (not sure of name) with you at half time?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:33 am

Super result ,result of the season for me ,
Don't really care about the performance , all thats matters now are results.

DD may have upset some Walsall fans on WM when he said
" If we have to play like that again to get the right result , we will "
I for one are 100% behind you Mr Money.

NOW BELIEVE WE ARE GOING UP

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:53 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Super result ,result of the season for me ,
Don't really care about the performance , all thats matters now are results.

DD may have upset some Walsall fans on WM when he said
" If we have to play like that again to get the right result , we will "
I for one are 100% behind you Mr Money.

NOW BELIEVE WE ARE GOING UP

That's 2 of us then :lol:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:19 am

Didn't anyone see the attack of alien flies?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:19 am

AC wrote:Didn't anyone see the attack of alien flies?

No, they were well hidden

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:29 am

Was there any noise from the travellers last night?. :roll:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:57 am

ws10saddler wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Which was was you then - I got in there just before half 7 for a swift beer with my dad - you know (of) my dad - he's the roundish (I say fat) bloke you speak to from Tipton? We spoke to either your or the other lady (not sure of name) with you at half time?

in the pub had jeans blue jumper and Walsall away shirt on and a pony tail. during the game I gave up and wore my black wool hat, and my scarf over my face was sooo cold.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:31 pm

For those desperately searching for something to moan about last night I would just like to point out that my half-time sausage roll was luke-warm.

Sorry, its the best I can come up with.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:47 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:For those desperately searching for something to moan about last night I would just like to point out that my half-time sausage roll was luke-warm.

:lol: :lol:

UP THE SADDLERS

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:56 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:For those desperately searching for something to moan about last night I would just like to point out that my half-time sausage roll was luke-warm.

For the record, MMF, Gaz, Percie and Metfan were more interested in their "Girls Aloud" chicks and their cleavages rather than the wares they were selling :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season