Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Mansfield Town (A) League Saturday 20/1/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:58 am

Mark Wright has made 7 assists. He sees a heck of a lot of the ball during a game.

"If you throw enough balls at the coconut, eventually you'll win a goldfish."

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:59 am

philthesaddler wrote:Comparing him to Fox isn't fair as Fox is a left back by trade. I've said it before, but lets start with Ish. He'll run at people, cut inside defenders, get in behind defenders, skin them for pace... and get decent, dangerous balls in to the box. Mark Wright does none of that.

I don't really care for assist stats, some of the opposition has been so bad this year that David Blunkett could get a few assists.

Fox is the only one to compare him too, as Fox plays in his position on the other flank. Ishmel might have those skills, but he doesn't offer anywhere near the same defensive cover, he can't tackle any better than Wright and has no positional sense, yet. The very same things you criticise Wright so heavily for. And if Wright does none of what Ishmel does, where have his assists come from? Farting? Scratching his backside? And why the need for a winger to beat his man if he can get a decent ball into the box without wasting an extra 10 seconds?

As for David Blunkett. You can only beat the opposition put in front of you, and that is what Wright is doing in terms of assists.

philthesaddler wrote:Whatsmore I think a lot of people misunderstand the argument about Wright. I don't think he's totally useless, he does manage a couple of decent things per match, but those decent things are completely offset by the number of occasions of wimping out, failed crosses time and time again, failing to beat his crappy third division marker time and time again, losing out on every header he goes up for time and time again because he tried to head it with the middle of his spine.

The gripe I have with Wright is that he could be much, much better.

Agreed, espeically the last comment... But if he was physically strong, bear his man every time and was great in the air, he wouldn't be playing in League 2 would he! He'd be lining up in the top flight every week worth about £1.5m.

Thats the point those who knock Wright forget, he is a League 2 winger, he is bound to have weaknesses.

philthesaddler wrote:Lets compare Mark Wright against Christian Roberts shall we?

Why compare a striker (by admission of his own teams O/S) and a winger? But let's do, what do you want to compare... They're job as wingers is to create goals yes?

Mark Wright = 7 assists.
Roberts = Doesn't even make the Top 20 in the division!!!

Or shall we compare their skill at tackling, something obviously highly needed by a winger and a striker...

I really don't get it the fuss over Wright, there are more pressing priorities than Mark Wright... Enter Danny Fox, wonder why he doesn't get threads likes this? Maybe its because he can tackle, after all, who needs a winger to create opportunities or get crosses in, as long as he can tackle that'll do me.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:02 am

philthesaddler wrote:7 assists is that all? God thats awful. We've scored 40 goals aint we? Wright has only had a direct part to play in 7 of them. Blimey, the way people talk about him on here, you'd think he'd have 39 assists.

And Gaz, you can't really compare Wright and Bedeau, for a start Bedeau has only played 190 minutes probably, compared to Wright 20+ full games [1800 minutes]

I can compare Wright and Bedeau, hes the man behind Wright. Im not going to compare Wright and Roper am I? 40 goals 7+3 scored = 10

Mark Wright has been involved in 1/4 of our goals this season, thanks for pointing that out Phil, cheers.

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:03 am

philthesaddler wrote:7 assists is that all? God thats awful. We've scored 40 goals aint we? Wright has only had a direct part to play in 7 of them. Blimey, the way people talk about him on here, you'd think he'd have 39 assists.

And Gaz, you can't really compare Wright and Bedeau, for a start Bedeau has only played 190 minutes probably, compared to Wright 20+ full games [1800 minutes]

Says a heck of a lot for everyone else in the team then doesn't it if thats awful...

I give up now anyway, as I can't be bothered to carry on, its all Mark Wrights fault... Third World poverty, Global Warming, Big Brother Racism and my cats wind, thank you Mark Wright.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:05 am

Stu wrote:

Says a heck of a lot for everyone else in the team then doesn't it if thats awful...

I give up now anyway, as I can't be bothered to carry on, its all Mark Wrights fault... Third World poverty, Global Warming, Big Brother Racism and my cats wind, thank you Mark Wright.

I mean one whole quarter of our teams goals have involved MW, Damn thats really shocking the way everyone went on youd think hed only been involved in 2. My hairy back - Mark Wright

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:10 am

Stu, Bedeau is a striker [by our own O/S's admission], yet people say he was considered as the best winger in the league? :?:

Gaz, say Bedeau has played 200 minutes and got 2 assists, and Wright has played 1800 minutes and got 7, what does that equate to?

I'll tell you. Bedeau gets an assist every 100 minutes, Wright gets one every 257 minutes.

And... 7 isn't a quarter of 44, it's 16% [not 25%]

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:13 am

philthesaddler wrote:Stu, Bedeau is a striker [by our own O/S's admission], yet people say he was considered as the best winger in the league? :?:

Gaz, say Bedeau has played 200 minutes and got 2 assists, and Wright has played 1800 minutes and got 7, what does that equate to?

I'll tell you. Bedeau gets an assist every 100 minutes, Wright gets one every 257 minutes.

Weve scored 40 goals aint we - Phil

10 is a quarter of 40 last time I checked unless them arsey fraction rules have changed

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:25 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Stu, Bedeau is a striker [by our own O/S's admission], yet people say he was considered as the best winger in the league? :?:

10 is a quarter of 40 last time I checked unless them arsey fraction rules have changed

44 goals [26 at home, 18 away]... and I thought you were talking assists. Not assists and goals. And you can really count that goal at accy that he scored with his back turned.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:28 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:

44 goals [26 at home, 18 away]... and I thought you were talking assists. Not assists and goals. And you can really count that goal at accy that he scored with his back turned.

The fact he did it without facing the goal makes him even better :wink:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:28 am

gaz I think you've spelt 'better' wrong, its spelt 'more jammy'

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:30 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:The fact he did it without facing the goal makes him even better :wink:

All aboard The Showboat:

:D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:30 am

philthesaddler wrote:gaz I think you've spelt 'better' wrong, its spelt 'more jammy'

The way I remember it is that he ran from his goal line, back again because he wimped out of a challenge then back up the pitch with a 30 yard backheel. FACT

Purple Stand Pigeon

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:43 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Simon Brown
Andy Sandell
Marc Goodfellow
Junior Mendes
Martin Bullock
Alexandre Frutos
Owain Tudor Jones
Stephen Cooke
Kevin harper
Martin Brittain
Mark Yeates
Ritche Partridge
Sam Aiston

Thats what I can think of at the minute, Sure theres more.

I guarantee the fans of those clubs that those players play for will have seen Wright mentioned on websites or in brief goal clips on TV and said he'd be a good signing for us, just the same as you are with the players above. It's all hearsay. In fact do you want to sign the Hearsay Shrek lookalike Danny as a right winger instead? :roll:

In fact I'd bet that a lot of Bolton fans will have watched Mark Wright in the game against us this season and will have said he'd be a good cheap signing.

Face it phil and Daz, your argument is poor.

EDIT: Do you actually realise how much some of those players earn compared to Wright? Remember we lost out on Ben Davies and other players because SHREWSBURY offered more. They're not the only ones either.
Last edited by Purple Stand Pigeon on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 am

Tony Bidont is the one of the most ineffective players I have EVER seen put on a Walsall shirt, if you dont rate Wright, makes you wonder what Bidont doesn't do in training to force a place

I thought Bidont was actually an emergency centre forward and that actually he is a wide man that can play up front if required, another reason for DD buying him, well, he's been cak in both as far as I can see

the left flank is a far more urgent issue, like some have said, if we have someone providing service from that side then Wright wont be found out so soon, he will have less pressure from the crowd, we will have more attacking dimensions (you can see managers sitting down with their team and saying "we dont have to worry about their left, Richard Money prefers to play narrow and restrict our threat down the right") and that really does contribute to us being not as 'exciting' as some people want us to be. Open your eyes to the bigger picture.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:51 am

saddlerken wrote:Open your eyes to the bigger picture.

Why the colour avatar, ken? The grey image was much more 'you', if you don't mind me saying.

Purple Stand Pigeon

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:52 am

King Crimson wrote:

Why the colour avatar, ken? The grey image was much more 'you', if you don't mind me saying.

Much more ken, or much more Rugeley? :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:55 am

Purple Stand Pigeon wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Both!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:56 am

King Crimson wrote:
Purple Stand Pigeon wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Both!

F** off the pair of you :P :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:59 am

saddlerken wrote:F** off the pair of you :P :D

Now THAT's colourful! :oops:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:03 am

King Crimson wrote:
saddlerken wrote:F** off the pair of you :P :D

Now THAT's colourful! :oops:

Just thought I would revert to type, I wouldn't want you to be disappointed :wink:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 am

Well, thanks for replying to the challenge, although I think it proved my point that it's more difficult than you think to find players out there who would do a better job than Wright. Let's take one off your list as an example: Martin Brittain. Decent enough player, would do a job. He's at Ipswich Town - Yeovil had him on loan where he performed pretty well and so Ipswich decided to recall him because they needed him at Portman Road. You see, all-singing all-dancing right-wingers who are strong, quick, good in the tackle, good in the air, put over 100% of their crosses, don't get injured, don't get suspended, never have a bad game and score goals...well, they're pretty rare.

Wright has done a good job for us this year. DD thinks so - that's why he's the only player to have played in every game. He has his bad points and his bad games - sure - but everyone in the team does. However it is so frustrating to see him be the only one singled out for blame almost without fail every game. Why push this ridiculous anti-Wright agenda? He's had a challenge to his place from Wrack and Bedeau this year but neither have replaced him on a long-term basis. He's not going to lose his place from here on in. And as a confidence player, I don't think the best way for us to support the team is to boo/cheer Mark Wright off when he is substituted, like on Saturday.

bournemouthsaddler

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:40 am

Was the 'god' that is Jeff Peron a great tackler? More a hands on hips type defender I seem to remember.

Purple Stand Pigeon

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:43 am

bournemouthsaddler wrote:Was the 'god' that is Jeff Peron a great tackler? More a hands on hips type defender I seem to remember.

Don't throw the cat amongst me and my mates ;) ...but you are of course completely right.

Peron could conjure up a bit of brilliance to win a game but do sod all for the rest of the half. It's what a lot of wingers do.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:03 pm

bournemouthsaddler wrote:Was the 'god' that is Jeff Peron a great tackler? More a hands on hips type defender I seem to remember.

No, that is why Graydon dumped him, that isn't made up, it is what Ray told me himself.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:51 pm

I just can't believe it. One bad defeat and there's 11 pages and 320+ posts.

Why can't people just stop moaning and get behind the lads??

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I just can't believe it. One bad defeat and there's 11 pages and 320+ posts.

To be fair, Geordie, there must be about 8 posts about saddlerken's avatar, and now 2 about the length of the thread. Stop exagerrating! :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:59 pm

...and get behind the lads! :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I just can't believe it. One bad defeat and there's 11 pages and 320+ posts.

That's my line this season!

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:07 pm

up the saddlers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:52 am

Exile wrote:

That's my line this season!

Stop moaning about people using your line and get behind the lads!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season