Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby (H) League - Monday 15/01/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
jnks

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:36 pm

Exile wrote:MOTM Sam.

Got to agree with that. The cross was such that it just had to be a goal and there was no looking back from there so for that alone he deserves to be MOTM. Great team performance, very happy after watching that, just wish I could have been there.

Cederqvist will be a great signing I'm sure and, on tonight's performance, after a tough few weeks, I think we've now got to be expecting promotion this season because the boys have proved that they're good enough.

What a difference a manager makes! :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Performances like that win you titles. I shall say this now, I think the signing of Par Cederqvist has given us promotion.

Sam was brilliant today, so was Butler, I thought 1/2 the midfield was excellent, namely Pead and Dobson, this combination is perfect. Keates was definitely played like a CM playing on the wing, we lacked width on the left, Mark Wright is appalling, one of the worst performances yet.

Dann I didnt think put a foot wrong all night, Ropes was solid, KT was fine. westwood was great again.

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:47 pm

As much as i dislike Wrighty, i got to say i didnt think anyone had a bad game today, all put their efforts in when needed and came away with 3 well deserved points!!!
WELL DONE SADDLERS!!!
UTS!!

saddlesore

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:49 pm

MOTM Pead for me -energy- committment- good tackling - sensible passing
Butler having 17 games without a goal never worried me........& tonight got his just desserts.
Mark Wright .........still bottling tackles...still wanting to beat the same player 2 & 3 times.Still like most wingers when they are on song & have the measure of their fullback we love them!!!
Cederquist looks strong, pacy & good in the air.Personally I would choose him over Sam.
Clayton Ince a giant -commanding his area & brimming with confidence.Sorry Jimmy Walker you have a place in hearts.......but like you .......we have moved on.Thanks for all the wonderful memories.
Dann & Ropes same solid crew!!!!

Idiots ruined the night night while we were on national TV by running onto the pitch! SAD!!!!!!
Buckey had a wonderful reception & deservedly so.Grimsby didn't put 5 in midfield to try & stifle us & looked a useful footballing side - I hope they stay up

Glitterati

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Must say, Wright looked good on the telly- few good crosses, attempts to beat his man - didnt look alot worse then anybody else on the pitch yet he continues to be highlighted as one of the weak links. I guess because I wasnt there my opinion isnt valid.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:50 pm

just got in and watched the goals on sky, spotted at the start of game Rob, Coxy and Cal

Personally I thought Pead deserved MOTM, and not just because I like him.He was outstanding! we actually had a midfield that played together.Agree with Daz thought Wright was appaliing!. great to see Butler on the score sheet again.I think we looked totally in control of the game, Cedeqvist looks very handy (and a hunk too :oops: ) Taylor had a good game too.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:51 pm

1933 wrote:Must say, Wright looked good on the telly- few good crosses, attempts to beat his man - didnt look alot worse then anybody else on the pitch yet he continues to be highlighted as one of the weak links. I guess because I wasnt there my opinion isnt valid.

Its the bottling and useless crosses that really get me aggrevated, even my Dad (who is a massive wright fan) was shouting at him tonight, Tries to beat his man, 2 or 3 times when he simply isnt good enough, forgot how many times he hit the first man on crosses. He is not the worst player in the world, my argument is that there is so much BETTER than him, and we should look to strengthen in that area.

Glitterati

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:53 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
1933 wrote:Must say, Wright looked good on the telly- few good crosses, attempts to beat his man - didnt look alot worse then anybody else on the pitch yet he continues to be highlighted as one of the weak links. I guess because I wasnt there my opinion isnt valid.

Its the bottling and useless crosses that really get me aggrevated, even my Dad (who is a massive wright fan) was shouting at him tonight, Tries to beat his man, 2 or 3 times when he simply isnt good enough, forgot how many times he hit the first man on crosses. He is not the worst player in the world, my argument is that there is so much BETTER than him, and we should look to strengthen in that area.

The other wing wasnt much use either was it? I think its fair to say we had more balls coming in from the right-side of midfield then the left. Ok, Fox was suspended tonight but I just dont know why Wright gets so much flack. I wasnt there so maybe I didnt notice all of his wasted balls but then not all of his crosses are going to be perfect.
Last edited by 1933 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Just like to add again (especially for Dave) that Michael Dobson was absolutely awesome again tonight. Mopped up everything and spread play brilliantly.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

1933 wrote:

The other wing wasnt much use either was it?

Look at my other post !!!

nottssaddler

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:56 pm

Cracking performance, I thourghly enjoyed it. Let down by a few small mistakes in one or 2 areas.

Grimsby may have well have stayed in the dressing room at half time, it really felt like they were just going through the motions in the 2nd period.

Btw, did anyone work out why DD was looking at one of his players and slapping his arse around the 80 minute mark? it was a very surreal image. I think he was trying to tell someone something about their backside, but it was a very odd mannerism!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 pm

wright was average today but mostly frustrating. Ishy come on touched the ball once and nearly scored, got a point to prove though aint he.

Dann and roper quality again today, we missed fox though, keates was just no threat whatsoever on the left.

Sams skill was quality to set up the first goal.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:59 pm

Can't really complain about one player tonight. Okay Wrighty was his normal wimpy self but that's Wrighty. We never got out of second gear and didn't need to.

I agree with the posters that say Pead had an excellent game. More and more I like Pead in the middle of the park. Westwood is doing fine at right back and Pead is more than comfortable in midfield.

So glad to see Butler back in the goals. I bet he was cack himself as that cross came over from Sam. What a cross that was from Sam. I thought he was going to launch it in when he went outside the player but to check back and then cross it was superb.

Nothing spectacular but we did enough against the opposition in front of us. I've got to disagree with the poster who said Grimsvy looked okay. I thought they looked relegation fodder for certain.

Finally, thanks to Evo for putting up with me tonight (I was more subdude than I normally am). Might even sit near you again mate. Is that a threat or a promise ? :wink:

Glitterati

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:59 pm

1933 wrote:

The other wing wasnt much use either was it?

Look at my other post !!!

Ok ok, he's a bottler, granted. You say there is so much better than him, who? He's more than good enough for this league - its the same old arguement again when the fact is we should be celebrating 3 points and our 6 point fap at the top of the league. Up The Saddelrs.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:00 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Can't really complain about one player tonight. Okay Wrighty was his normal wimpy self but that's Wrighty. We never got out of second gear and didn't need to.

I agree with the posters that say Pead had an excellent game. More and more I like Pead in the middle of the park. Westwood is doing fine at right back and Pead is more than comfortable in midfield.

So glad to see Butler back in the goals. I bet he was cack himself as that cross came over from Sam. What a cross that was from Sam. I thought he was going to launch it in when he went outside the player but to check back and then cross it was superb.

Nothing spectacular but we did enough against the opposition in front of us. I've got to disagree with the poster who said Grimsvy looked okay. I thought they looked relegation fodder for certain.

Finally, thanks to Evo for putting up with me tonight (I was more subdude than I normally am). Might even sit near you again mate. Is that a threat or a promise ? :wink:

You seemed to have failed to mention the excellent performance from Dobson again ? :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:04 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Just like to add again (especially for Dave) that Michael Dobson was absolutely awesome again tonight. Mopped up everything and spread play brilliantly.

Barstard ! :lol:

Look at my post above young Darren. I have made no comment at all about Dobson. I don't think he was "absolutely awesome", that's a bit OTT, but I do think he did everything he is supposed to. A couple of early passes went astray but NOTHING compared to his recent showings. A player in Dobson's position isn't really supposed to stand out, they just do their job and if they do it right you hardly notice them.

I can say now, if Dobson plays like that the rest of the season then you won't see me say a word.

rugeleysaddler77

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:04 pm

Clinical professional and well organised . Words not always associated with The Saddlers
but they summed up the performance for me . I'm well pleased tonight thought everybody
did their job well without being exceptional we are doing a number on this division . Just a quick mention for Craig Pead though , thought he was excellent full of running his link up play was very good he also brought out a better performance from Dobbo, Pead seemed to create a bit of time and space for him which he needs. All in all a decent nights work. :)

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:09 pm

Was a bit worried during the first half - but come the second half we looked solid. Grimsby not a good side but made it difficult.

I thought midfield looked a lot better tonight - defence was solid (Dann was my MOTM) and Sam looked good in part (shame about his poor finish). New guy looked very very promising and alongside Butler could really be what we need.

I normally support the guy, but Mark Wright was poor tonight. Shame, and maybe the TV thing got to him.

Happy with 3 points and things looking brighter than they did a while back.

Good to see Buckley and Watkiss - also Marsh, O Conner and Chris Nichol. Memories of past glories :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:13 pm

1. The fact you haven't mentioned the outstanding ball Wright put in for the second goal sums up everything I have come to expect from the Mark Wright haters.

2. You've laid down the gauntlet by saying there is "so much BETTER than him". I'll make it easy for you. Name only three right-wingers that we could realistically sign who are better than Mark Wright.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

1. The fact you haven't mentioned the outstanding ball Wright put in for the second goal sums up everything I have come to expect from the Mark Wright haters.

2. You've laid down the gauntlet by saying there is "so much BETTER than him". I'll make it easy for you. Name only three right-wingers that we could realistically sign who are better than Mark Wright.

Well said that man!

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:18 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

I spend match after match defending Mark Wright from Leamore and North Staffs critisism, but tonight I did feel he was poor. Those that know him describe him as a confidence player and tonight he looked lacking in confidence. I like Wright and expect him to have many more good games for Walsall but tonight I thought he looked poor overall.

Oxsall

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:18 pm

I agree with 1933. Wright looked (on the telly I grant you) like he had a decent to good game. He put in some good crosses. Admittedly he put in a couple of his "I've lost the the ball under my feet moments" but I thought he looked great attacking on the break. There was one occasion when he streaked past his marker on the right hand side and he even seemed to be tackling back to help Westwood (who was also good). And Wright, of course, put in the cross for Cederqvist's header, which Butler mopped up into the back of the next for the clincher.

Overall a great performance all round. I felt a little happier in the pub than after the Maccasfield game (when we were dire). Mentions also go to Michael Dobson who, although he gave the ball away badly on a couple of occasions, won it many more times than he lost it, Martin Butler for a typically tireless display that finally gave him the goals he deserved, Pead who looks like he's been on sprint training for this season, and Clayton Ince for (at least on the tele) a wonderfully commanding performance. Oh, and a mention to Kris Taylor for a typically understated but reliable performance.

I think I've actually mentioned most of the team there... which perhaps flags up my general appreciation of the whole team tonight.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:49 pm

Yet again, Mark Wright creates ANOTHER goal...

Credit where its due. He has created all but 4 of our goals over the last couple of months. In anyone's book, he is back in good form.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:59 pm

cyclothymic wrote:I spend match after match defending Mark Wright from Leamore and North Staffs critisism, but tonight I did feel he was poor. Those that know him describe him as a confidence player and tonight he looked lacking in confidence. I like Wright and expect him to have many more good games for Walsall but tonight I thought he looked poor overall.

My initial description of his display was 'infuriating' rather than 'poor'. Wrighty is a true winger and has a penchant for mixing up his pieces of good play with some shocking bits in between. Normally he achieves something like a 50/50 balance. Today I'd say it was more like 35/65 against.

My point is more that game after game the same old names keep picking on every mistake he makes and not bothering to comment on anything good he does, even when he creates a goal. It's that sort of mentality that has driven good young players out of our club in the past because they are frightened to make a mistake out of fear that the fans will jump down their throats.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:26 am

'Create' Haha. Those for the uninitiated when watching the goal will see its just a head down hoof into the box. I will give you ten players tomorrow who are better than him who we could sign.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:46 am

Another good performance tonight. Hard to single people out since everyone did well, so let's talk about the boo boys.

Mark Wright - he seeks the ball, this "he's scared" bull**** is a load of junk - he always wants to be involved. Got some very fine crosses over today. Very good performance.
Michael Dobson - I note all the callers to WM said how much better he was than he'd been of late, I just thought he was much the same to be honest. A fine display, anchoring the midfield and protecting the defence.
Hector Sam - magnificent! The performance we've all been waiting for. Couldn't drop him after that, however good Cederqvist looked.

Chris Westwood doesn't even qualify as a boo boy any more, probably, but he was very good once again.

Man of the Match - Ian Roper. Superb, just superb.

Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:54 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:'Create' Haha. Those for the uninitiated when watching the goal will see its just a head down hoof into the box. I will give you ten players tomorrow who are better than him who we could sign.

I look forward to this.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:54 am

Jorge14 wrote:Yet again, Mark Wright creates ANOTHER goal...

Credit where its due. He has created all but 4 of our goals over the last couple of months. In anyone's book, he is back in good form.

Thats what he is there for to create goals , not make crunching tackles but to create goals...... how many is that he has set up this season know

MWAS

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:59 am

Just got back from work and watched the match (extended highlights) on sky...and i must say i was pleased with the performance...ok it was against a club going through a really bad run but we did string a few passes together and looked comfortable on the ball.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:05 am

Super performance , so pleased for Martin Butler his first goal was a brilliant header , full marks to Hector Sam for his part in the goal .
Pead continues to impress in midfield , some super crosses from Wright.
Westwood , Dann and Roper as brilliant as ever .And the new lad Cederqvist looks strong in the air very promissing.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season