Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby (H) League - Monday 15/01/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
bournemouthsaddler

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:30 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Fox has been dreadful. Have you formed your opinion on Steve Madeley's E & D reports who have amazingly has him as MOTM in recent weeks. You both need a new optician.

:)

I make my own opinions thanks MMF!!

And, as I said, I have been Fox's biggest critic. I really don't like him. I think he has a bad attitude. I dislike the way he always seems to have a go at Taylor even if Fox himself is at fault. I think he often goes missing in games.

But then I see Keates in that position....and it makes Fox look a whole lot better!!

Living out here in the middle of nowhere, I have no idea what reports in the E&D say. I certainly wouldn't regard Fox as MoTM in ANY of our games this season...but I am willing to recognise that he has at least made a contribution in several recent games and I suspect he DOES do the job that Mr Money requires of him.

bournemouthsaddler

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Pro footballers always have a go at each other, it doesn't mean they dont respect each other. Its all about keeping each other on theier toes. You need to go to reserve or training games to hear how much shouting, swearing and complaining goes on.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:
Is that directed at me MMF?

No it wasn't.

Oh.

Well that's alright then! :D

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:37 pm

bournemouthsaddler wrote:Pro footballers always have a go at each other, it doesn't mean they dont respect each other. Its all about keeping each other on theier toes. You need to go to reserve or training games to hear how much shouting, swearing and complaining goes on.

Take your point BS...but sometimes you see players who, whenever the spotlight is on them for doing something wrong, start shouting at another player. And they pick on one of the team's "weaker" characters. Fox is in this category from what I can see.

That said, perhaps I read too much into it...

Mind you, I do remember a midfielder from a few years back who absolutely destroyed one or two of our younger players by doing that. Now then, what was his name? Came from Oldham I think, small player.....someone help?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:37 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:I find it incredible that after our best performance at home for months, playing some excellent football and involving some excellent one touch football that people still have to pick out the players they dislike for no particular reason other than they don't like them.

Funny that - Sounds like you're doing exactly the same with Fox. It really winds me up that you can accuse others of singling players out because they don't like them, when in actual fact, they're just giving their opinion on a player, just as you do.
We all appreciate different qualities when it comes to football. That's why this messageboard is so successful in terms of debate. To use an example, you think Mark Wright should be in the team because of the service he gives to the strikers. In contrast, I think he shouldn't be in the team because I think he is weak when the ball is in our half of the pitch. You can say all you like about me 'not liking him', but I'll continue to make my case and you'll continue to make yours.

I'm doing anything of the sort with Fox. He is a good left back. He is an adequate midfielder, probably because he has hardly played there before. I repeat Fox has been average at best throughout December and he certainly can't take a corner like Keates can, in fact can anyone? There is not much too choose between them but for his set pieces alon Keates deserves to keep his place while a lot are suggesting we drop him.

Mark Wright is weak when the ball is in our half of the pitch? Really? try watching games Rob. The amount of ground he covers to help out the full back is unreal. Just because he isn't flinging himself about diving and jumping into tackles doesn't mean he is weak at his job. Most coaches will want someone to stay on their feet, keep the shape of the team and help his full back. Wright does that perfectly well which is probably why he's played more games than most this season. Creates at one end and helps his full back the other.

If anything Wright's weakness is in the middle third of the pitch at times when he doesn't compete for headers as bravely as he should and too often runs into defenders instead of trying to go round them and use his pace to beat them. Fortunately if he's advanced down the pitch enough his crossing is normally good enough from deep not to affect that too much.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Mark Wright is weak when the ball is in our half of the pitch? Really? try watching games Rob. The amount of ground he covers to help out the full back is unreal. Just because he isn't flinging himself about diving and jumping into tackles doesn't mean he is weak at his job. Most coaches will want someone to stay on their feet, keep the shape of the team and help his full back. Wright does that perfectly well which is probably why he's played more games than most this season. Creates at one end and helps his full back the other.

Totally agree with you MMF. I thought Wright had a stinker by his standards last night....but he still contributed at times going forward, he still asked for the ball, he didn't hide, he did a lot of chasing back and he kept the shape. He didn't go jumping into tackles and running around like a headless chicken.

Whereas Keates..... :wink: (didn't contribute apart from set pieces, did fling himself about and jump into tackles, didn't keep the shape, didn't stay on his feet and didn't help the fullback that much)

Ach, whatever...we won, we're 6 points clear, hopefully heading for promotion, we're clearly not too bad at all at this level despite our little moans!! :D

Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:01 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:'Create' Haha. Those for the uninitiated when watching the goal will see its just a head down hoof into the box. I will give you ten players tomorrow who are better than him who we could sign.

Come up with the ten players yet?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:07 pm

1933 wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:'Create' Haha. Those for the uninitiated when watching the goal will see its just a head down hoof into the box. I will give you ten players tomorrow who are better than him who we could sign.

Come up with the ten players yet?

We signed one of the supposed best right sided players in this league for some time and he has proven to be way off the standard Mark Wright sets. Unless Wrights critics want to find a couple of grand a week I suggest they compare the outings of Wright and Bedeau and see what our budget gets you.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:22 pm

I thought Wright was vastly improved last night.he put over some very good crosses and corners.Even if his set-up for the 2nd goal was "head down", and I'm not so sure,at least he had the sense to get in a cross which is aimed at the goal.I think DD has done really well instilling into players that,if your crossing into the box from 25-30 yards out,if you put the ball on target,anything can happen.we've scored a load of goals from croses like that.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:20 pm

I don't care whether Wright's cross was head-down, head-up or headless.....it was delivered into the right area at the right height.

Hate to borrow things from American sport when it comes to our beloved football but there's a saying in ice hockey..."put the puck on net and good things happen". Same generally applies to football....if you don't get the ball into the danger areas, you don't score goals!! Wright has been excellent this season at delivering the ball into the danger area and "good things" have happened!!

Ian Gittins

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:31 pm

I really thought the whole team played really well last night. Wright had a solid game on the wing, while Keates used the ball pretty well - I think this is his level of football. Neither can do what Ishy did when he came on, make a scintillating run past two men, and instinctively I'd love to see him have more time on the pitch, but the way we are playing now is working like a dream, and I guess there's no need to change it.

On last night's performance, I'd tend to pick Keates over Fox, Dann over Gerrard, and Cederqvist looks a must, no matter how well Sam played. How good it is to have such a strong squad.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:54 pm

Way up the thread now Shrops, but yes I was commenting about Fox when we are attacking. I know wingers have to cover the full backs but to me that is a minor part of their job, they're there mainly to provide an attacking outlet on their side of the pitch. Too many times when we are attacking Fox is way too far infield and means there is no option other than to go right. Perhaps that is one reason why so many of our attacks happen down the right side !?

On the Wright issue, I don't expect him to be flinging his body around or diving into crunching tackles. I'd just like him to get his foot in occasionally when needed. I also hate it when we get the ball out wide to him early and just when he's got the time and space to run at the fullback he puts his foot on the ball and looks for the simple pass infield. He's got the pace and trickery to be able to beat his man more times than not. I just wish he'd use it.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:01 pm

So....based on this and other threads over the course of the season we have the following members of our sqaud who simply aren't pulling their weight:

Ince - clown who goes awol at critical moments
Fox - poor defender who goes forward too much
Gerrard - just poor
Westwood - has just about found his level
Taylor - lightweight
Wright - can't cross, pass or tackle
Dobson - does nothing whatsoever
Keates - powderpuff, stands around
Bedeau - like Dobson but worse
Demontagnac - ASBO livewire
Sam - couldn't score in a brothel, sets nothing up
Butler - great start, faded to hasbeen status

Amazing we can even grind the odd draw out, let alone find time to win a game. Anyone would think we're destined for the conference!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Just about right there Exile! :lol:

Apart from Fox who is a good defender who doesn't get forward enough. :D

Saddler_Pagey

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:09 pm

ince one is wrong he kept his cool last nite last nite i somewhat agree bout fox ( dont know why) westy 50/50 taylor i like hes doing well wrighty i agree dobo's a gd player and just isnt showing it latley keates duz do the running bedeau i agree ishie is jst pure talent( but i do agree bout the ASBO thing lol) sam set butler up last nite and....butlers back to scoring ways ( Thank god!)
Exile wrote:So....based on this and other threads over the course of the season we have the following members of our sqaud who simply aren't pulling their weight:

Gerrard - just poor
Taylor - lightweight

Amazing we can even grind the odd draw out, let alone find time to win a game. Anyone would think we're destined for the conference!

Percie
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:21 pm

Saddler_Pagey wrote:ince one is wrong he kept his cool last nite last nite i somewhat agree bout fox ( dont know why) westy 50/50 taylor i like hes doing well wrighty i agree dobo's a gd player and just isnt showing it latley keates duz do the running bedeau i agree ishie is jst pure talent( but i do agree bout the ASBO thing lol) sam set butler up last nite and....butlers back to scoring ways ( Thank god!)
Exile wrote:So....based on this and other threads over the course of the season we have the following members of our sqaud who simply aren't pulling their weight:

Gerrard - just poor
Taylor - lightweight

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! pmsl!

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Percie wrote:
Saddler_Pagey wrote:ince one is wrong he kept his cool last nite last nite i somewhat agree bout fox ( dont know why) westy 50/50 taylor i like hes doing well wrighty i agree dobo's a gd player and just isnt showing it latley keates duz do the running bedeau i agree ishie is jst pure talent( but i do agree bout the ASBO thing lol) sam set butler up last nite and....butlers back to scoring ways ( Thank god!)

Gerrard - just poor
Taylor - lightweight

Double WoooooooSSSSSH :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:53 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:
Percie wrote:

Gerrard - just poor
Taylor - lightweight

Double WoooooooSSSSSH :lol:

And thrice ..... WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHH :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:54 pm

Owned. Totally.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:44 am

Gerrard - just poor
Taylor - lightweight

So judging by where we are, we're obviously punching above our weight - AGAIN ! :lol:

The pies have been disappointing lately as well, though I have to say that last night's was ACE ! Even the kiosk staff are back to form - did they go to Gran Canaria too?

renegade-saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:28 am

it was wierd how PS1989 said to butler before the match 'you'll get a couple in tonight'.....so look what happens :lol:

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season