Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby (H) League - Monday 15/01/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:24 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:It's lovely to read through a thread and see so many positive comments about our players, especially Pead, who a lot of you have given stick. I knew the potential was there, just had to wait for the chance to show it, and boy did he do that last night. I can now wear my top with pride :lol:

MMF , as said many times Pead would do a job for us in midfield .
how right he was .

just for you Linda :o

Looks a bit camp :shock:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:25 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:It's lovely to read through a thread and see so many positive comments about our players, especially Pead, who a lot of you have given stick. I knew the potential was there, just had to wait for the chance to show it, and boy did he do that last night. I can now wear my top with pride :lol:

how right he was .

thanks Dave, you made my day :lol:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:28 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:

how right he was .

Looks a bit camp :shock:

OI!! you can go off people very easily Mark!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:43 pm

2-0, well taken and created goals, clean sheet, extend the lead, game in hand. Job done.

But still people single our Wright and Keates, even though Wright can claim ANOTHER assist so once again, job done. FACT.

Keates did more than Fox has on the left for several weeks, or do people not realise he offers nothing going forward which Keates did at times last night and his excellent set pieces are always a threat. I suppose this has been ignored too?

Pead and Dobson in midfield is the way forward and certainly for the time being Keates should be on the left. We've found the best options for the whole eleven now. The only question in my mind at the moment if everyone is fit is whether Sam or Cederqvist plays. As we won tonight Sam should start on Saturday although Par looked very impressive when he came on.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Agree with all that Mark.

Keates had his best game for us in ages, in my opinion.

Wright - although frustrating at times, still gets a fair number of balls into the box.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:56 pm

Keates is definately a better option than Fox for me, Best i have seen us play ( I missed Peterboro) Since Hereford, when Keates played on the left of midfield

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:10 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:2-0, well taken and created goals, clean sheet, extend the lead, game in hand. Job done.

But still people single our Wright and Keates, even though Wright can claim ANOTHER assist so once again, job done. FACT.

Keates did more than Fox has on the left for several weeks, or do people not realise he offers nothing going forward which Keates did at times last night and his excellent set pieces are always a threat. I suppose this has been ignored too?

Pead and Dobson in midfield is the way forward and certainly for the time being Keates should be on the left. We've found the best options for the whole eleven now. The only question in my mind at the moment if everyone is fit is whether Sam or Cederqvist plays. As we won tonight Sam should start on Saturday although Par looked very impressive when he came on.

Cederqvist got the 2nd assist

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:20 pm

I'd agree that Keates should stay in place of Fox. I thought Keates did okay, without ripping up any trees. At least he stayed out wide and didn't keep coming inside like Fox always does. He at least gave us an option of going wide left that is often missing when Fox is there.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:29 pm

Personally, I'd still have Fox as my first choice left sided midfielder. I don't think Keates does anything that much better than Fox apart from set piece delivery (which Fox isn't too bad at either). Neither player is the sort who will beat his man with ease before crossing the ball. Given that Fox will win back more posession than Keates, he edges it for me.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:40 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Personally, I'd still have Fox as my first choice left sided midfielder. I don't think Keates does anything that much better than Fox apart from set piece delivery (which Fox isn't too bad at either). Neither player is the sort who will beat his man with ease before crossing the ball. Given that Fox will win back more posession than Keates, he edges it for me.

Spot on Rob , Fox is also much stronger on the ball.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Keates or Fox on the left?

I honestly couldn't make my mind up, both are adequate but nothing more

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:48 pm

We have another option on the left .

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:53 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:We have another option on the left .

And he almost scored last night on the best run of the match. If Mark Wright is as amazign as everyone says, Then Ishy must be wroth 15 million :roll:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Keates did more than Fox has on the left for several weeks, or do people not realise he offers nothing going forward which Keates did at times last night and his excellent set pieces are always a threat. I suppose this has been ignored too?

MMF, I must be Fox's biggest critic but NO WAY!! If Fox has had any decent games for us this season, they've been in the last few weeks and he at least does look like a grown-up footballer rather than a little boy playing against men. Fox provides some solidity which Keates doesn't. Did you not see Grimsby players strolling past his "tackles" as though he wasn't there?

Totally agree about the set pieces...the only saving grace of Keates' game. One or two superb deliveries again...but you can't play a player just for that?!? (Don't tell me...England played a certain no. 7 for that reason!!)

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Dave Roe wrote:I'd agree that Keates should stay in place of Fox. I thought Keates did okay, without ripping up any trees. At least he stayed out wide and didn't keep coming inside like Fox always does. He at least gave us an option of going wide left that is often missing when Fox is there.

Davve, were we at the same match?!? :shock:

The biggest criticism I have of Keates (and there are plenty :) ) is that he leaves his position all the time. Too many times last night he was nowhere to be seen on the left as Grimsby came forward. Mr Money had a right go at him at one stage for exactly that!

Perhaps you meant going forward? In which case you may have a point. Fox does come inside far too often and loses us width.

But the way Mr Money has set this side up to play, the left side is all about solidity with a bit of flair from Taylor coming forward and the right wing (the Wright wing) is meant to be the attacking threat.

In which case, Fox instead of Keates any day of the week.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm

Phil is spot on, it was Pars assist :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:20 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Keates did more than Fox has on the left for several weeks, or do people not realise he offers nothing going forward which Keates did at times last night and his excellent set pieces are always a threat. I suppose this has been ignored too?

MMF, I must be Fox's biggest critic but NO WAY!! If Fox has had any decent games for us this season, they've been in the last few weeks and he at least does look like a grown-up footballer rather than a little boy playing against men. Fox provides some solidity which Keates doesn't. Did you not see Grimsby players strolling past his "tackles" as though he wasn't there?

Totally agree about the set pieces...the only saving grace of Keates' game. One or two superb deliveries again...but you can't play a player just for that?!? (Don't tell me...England played a certain no. 7 for that reason!!)

Fox has been dreadful. Have you formed your opinion on Steve Madeley's E & D reports who have amazingly has him as MOTM in recent weeks. You both need a new optician.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:24 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:I'd agree that Keates should stay in place of Fox. I thought Keates did okay, without ripping up any trees. At least he stayed out wide and didn't keep coming inside like Fox always does. He at least gave us an option of going wide left that is often missing when Fox is there.

The biggest criticism I have of Keates (and there are plenty :) ) is that he leaves his position all the time. Too many times last night he was nowhere to be seen on the left as Grimsby came forward. Mr Money had a right go at him at one stage for exactly that!

Perhaps you meant going forward? In which case you may have a point. Fox does come inside far too often and loses us width.

But the way Mr Money has set this side up to play, the left side is all about solidity with a bit of flair from Taylor coming forward and the right wing (the Wright wing) is meant to be the attacking threat.

Exactly. Fox comes inside far too often which leaves us susceptible down the wing, the same thing your criticise Fox for. Fax has no pace, no width, no positional sense when going forward, can't beat anyone, doesn't cut inside, can't cross.

Ishmel would be my first choice as we are talking about LEFT WING/MIDFIELD here not full back. However I understand DD's reasons for not playing Ishmel so Keates is the balance between the two, he attacks and integrates better going forward than Fox which is far more important than having two full backs together.

Set pieces are such an important part of our game and Keates will keep his place.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:24 pm

I think Fox has been good recently. I think the most important aspect he brings to the side on the left is the shape. How many goals do we concede on that left hand side? Not many. Him and KT is a very good partnership imho.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Fox has been dreadful. Have you formed your opinion on Steve Madeley's E & D reports who have amazingly has him as MOTM in recent weeks. You both need a new optician.

:)

I make my own opinions thanks MMF!!

And, as I said, I have been Fox's biggest critic. I really don't like him. I think he has a bad attitude. I dislike the way he always seems to have a go at Taylor even if Fox himself is at fault. I think he often goes missing in games.

But then I see Keates in that position....and it makes Fox look a whole lot better!!

Living out here in the middle of nowhere, I have no idea what reports in the E&D say. I certainly wouldn't regard Fox as MoTM in ANY of our games this season...but I am willing to recognise that he has at least made a contribution in several recent games and I suspect he DOES do the job that Mr Money requires of him.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:

Exactly. Fox comes inside far too often which leaves us susceptible down the wing, the same thing your criticise Fox for. Fax has no pace, no width, no positional sense when going forward, can't beat anyone, doesn't cut inside, can't cross.

Ishmel would be my first choice as we are talking about LEFT WING/MIDFIELD here not full back. However I understand DD's reasons for not playing Ishmel so Keates is the balance between the two, he attacks and integrates better going forward than Fox which is far more important than having two full backs together.

Set pieces are such an important part of our game and Keates will keep his place.

Fox comes inside, did you see keates last night, he just stood in the middle all night.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:29 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Exactly. Fox comes inside far too often which leaves us susceptible down the wing, the same thing your criticise Fox for. Fax has no pace, no width, no positional sense when going forward, can't beat anyone, doesn't cut inside, can't cross.

MMF, I'm saying that Fox comes inside too often when we are ATTACKING but, defensively, he holds his position very well. Too many times last night, Keates was nowhere to be seen as the Grimsby right-back came forward unopposed.

METFAN is correct...we don't concede down that side because we have shape with Fox there. That's what the left side's job is as far as I can see under our manager...to be solid and try to contribute to attacking as and when they can.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:35 pm

I find it incredible that after our best performance at home for months, playing some excellent football and involving some excellent one touch football that people still have to pick out the players they dislike for no particular reason other than they don't like them.

Not one player had a bad game last night and they all performed well as a team. There isn't one change DD could have made to improve the performance from the players he had available.

Some posters comments are rarely varied or balanced because they criticise the same players after every performance. They see what they want to see, not what actually happened. I find it hard to take anyone's comments seriously when their views never change.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:37 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:METFAN is correct...we don't concede down that side because we have shape with Fox there. That's what the left side's job is as far as I can see under our manager...to be solid and try to contribute to attacking as and when they can.

No, he isn't right. We didn't concede last night against one of the better right sided players we have faced this season in my opinion.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I find it incredible that after our best performance at home for months, playing some excellent football and involving some excellent one touch football that people still have to pick out the players they dislike for no particular reason other than they don't like them.

Not one player had a bad game last night and they all performed well as a team. There isn't one change DD could have made to improve the performance from the players he had available.

Some posters comments are rarely varied or balanced because they criticise the same players after every performance. They see what they want to see, not what actually happened. I find it hard to take anyone's comments seriously when their views never change.

Is that directed at me MMF? 'Cause the only player I've admitted I "don't like" is Fox....who didn't play but I would have liked to see playing!!!

I've already said that I thought it was an excellent professional performance. Some superb individual performances as well...Dann, Roper, Pead, Dobson, Sam, Butler. If some people "criticise the same players after every performance", do you not think that, perhaps, it may be that that player isn't up to it?

Keates divides opinion amongst Walsall fans. Plenty think he's great, I suspect because he's a "local lad". I don't dislike him....how could you when he gives 110% whenever he plays....but I do genuinely think that he is not a good enough player to be in a team challenging for promotion from this division. Enough people seem to agree with this sentiment, even after last night's match, that it is an opinion which should be respected and taken seriously, even if you don't agree with it.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:01 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:METFAN is correct...we don't concede down that side because we have shape with Fox there. That's what the left side's job is as far as I can see under our manager...to be solid and try to contribute to attacking as and when they can.

No, he isn't right. We didn't concede last night against one of the better right sided players we have faced this season in my opinion.

Yes, I am.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:08 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Yes, I am.

That is a well thought out and valid argument MetFan :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:10 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Yes, I am.

That is a well thought out and valid argument MetFan :D

Glad you noticed :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:31 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:I find it incredible that after our best performance at home for months, playing some excellent football and involving some excellent one touch football that people still have to pick out the players they dislike for no particular reason other than they don't like them.

Is that directed at me MMF?

No it wasn't.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:43 pm

Funny that - Sounds like you're doing exactly the same with Fox. It really winds me up that you can accuse others of singling players out because they don't like them, when in actual fact, they're just giving their opinion on a player, just as you do.
We all appreciate different qualities when it comes to football. That's why this messageboard is so successful in terms of debate. To use an example, you think Mark Wright should be in the team because of the service he gives to the strikers. In contrast, I think he shouldn't be in the team because I think he is weak when the ball is in our half of the pitch. You can say all you like about me 'not liking him', but I'll continue to make my case and you'll continue to make yours.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season