Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby (H) League - Monday 15/01/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Dr David Kelly
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:15 am

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:From the Racing Post

WALSALL look nailed on for maximum points against Grimsby tonight, but there could be better ways to make money on a home victory than just lumping on the home team when the sides meet at the Bescot tonight.

Backing under 2.5 goals is a value punt. Going low at evens is the call, particularly with 21 of Walsall’s 31 games in all competitions this season featuring fewer than three goals.

For all the Saddler’s excellent football, top scorer Martin Butler has not found the net since September 19, a barren spell of 17 games. However, the home side are excellent defensively – they have conceded just five home league goals.

Grimsby had only two shots in their 2-0 home defeat to Chester on Tuesday and the Mariners have failed to notch in their last five defeats. You would expect Walsall’s extra quality to come through and correct-score punters should focus on either a 1-0 or 2-0 victory. Slight preference is for a 2-0 success, a result the Saddlers have achieved four times in 13 home league games, although Walsall to win to nil at 6-4 with Paddy Power is another option available.

Recommendations
Under 2.5 goals 1pt evens
Walsall to win 2-0 1pt 13-2

What do they know? Stick to the horses. :shock:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:56 am

Well I decided to watch the lads on Sky last night and I was quite impressed. Like alot of said we didnt get out of 2nd gear, but we really didnt need to.
The criticism of Wright is totally unfair. OK the bloke bottled a couple of tackles but hes a flair player not a ball winner! The things he needs to do, i.e run past a player and cross the ball, he did quite well last night. And as jorge14 says he set up yet another goal.
I thought Pead was probably our best player, closely followed by Hector. Westwood was a little dodgy in the first 15-20 mins but soon got his head down and reverted back to the form of late.

BTW told you Butler needed a break! :wink: A week of not playing and he comes back with 2 goals. Glad for the bloke, he celebrated his first goal like he had just scored the winner in the FA Cup final, it meant that much to him.
Cederqvist looks a class act. Holds the ball up well and my god that bloke can header a ball!!

Another 3 points and 6 points clear, im happy.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:01 am

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:41 am

This was a really excellent performance.

It's easy to forget that they haven't played for a fortnight and some were still in holiday mode in the first half.
Contrary to what some have said, no player had a bad game for us tonight, and some had very good games.

To single out some who've not been mentioned a great deal so far, Westwood's defending was outstanding he made a number of vital interceptions. Sam appears to have developed a minor allergy to turf, something that would have been unthinkable three months ago. The only 'blemish' on Ince's performance was being beaten by the disallowed Jones effort.

The use of substitutions again was excellent. RM got it spot on in starting with the established strike partnership and introducing Cederqvist later. It was noticeable that he is used to getting a bit more protection on the continent. But whilst he had the ball and the advantage he held off defenders and used the ball well before whinging (no wonder Sam's staying on his feet). He was also unlucky with his two headers as both were slightly behind him. He just needs to get to grips with the English game to become very effective indeed.

I'd like to see exactly the same side and same substitutions next week if possible.

A final word for the referee, who did a good job in attempting to let the game flow and repress the temptation to be over-fussy.
I can't remember the last time I said that!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:52 am

I did say to my Dad actually, that i thought that was the best Referee we had all season.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I did say to my Dad actually, that i thought that was the best Referee we had all season.

True. But in order to restore a sense of balance, the linesman (assist ref.) on the touchline away from the dugouts had a 'purple patch' of maybe ten minutes where he made a succession of shocking, incomprehensible decisions.

Great game. Very enjoyable. Dann and Pead stood out for me, but given the number of players that others have commented on in a positive way, its clear that the team as a whole performed really well. More of the same for the next 19 games, and we'll be there. We ain't won nothing yet!

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:32 am

leics_saddler wrote:This was a really excellent performance.

It's easy to forget that they haven't played for a fortnight and some were still in holiday mode in the first half.
Contrary to what some have said, no player had a bad game for us tonight, and some had very good games.

To single out some who've not been mentioned a great deal so far, Westwood's defending was outstanding he made a number of vital interceptions. Sam appears to have developed a minor allergy to turf, something that would have been unthinkable three months ago. The only 'blemish' on Ince's performance was being beaten by the disallowed Jones effort.

The use of substitutions again was excellent. RM got it spot on in starting with the established strike partnership and introducing Cederqvist later. It was noticeable that he is used to getting a bit more protection on the continent. But whilst he had the ball and the advantage he held off defenders and used the ball well before whinging (no wonder Sam's staying on his feet). He was also unlucky with his two headers as both were slightly behind him. He just needs to get to grips with the English game to become very effective indeed.

I'd like to see exactly the same side and same substitutions next week if possible.

A final word for the referee, who did a good job in attempting to let the game flow and repress the temptation to be over-fussy.I can't remember the last time I said that!

Yes I thought the ref was really good!

Ian Gittins

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:34 am

Enjoyable game to watch and I thought everyone played pretty well. Mark Wright was fine, wanted the ball, helped make a goal and generally tried to take his man on, contrary to frequent criticisms. Although I'm not normally a fan, I was also impressed by Keates, and the new forward looks to be the business. Grimsby were poor but good performance by us. Nice to hear a chant for Buckley towards the end, as well.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:43 am

Very good and professional performance all round. Don't want to get too carried away because I think Grimsby were grim, they were a very poor side.

They carried very little goal threat. The threat they did carry was coped with ease by Dann and Ropes, and their defending was very poor, especially for the first goal, it could even be described as comical. First, their left back had an air shot and missed his clearance, Sam [playing a better right wing role than Wright] stole in, he had another swipe, put a cross in to the danger zone, their defender slipped leaving butler with an unchallenged header.

We played very well and we look lively against a very poor side - it could have been 5 or 6 nil in the end, the real test however is at Mansfield in 4 days time.

To add to the discussion above, Wrighty had one of his typical games. Does a couple of good things, but mostly poor. I think he put 4 crosses in all night. Two looped up making it hard for the attacker to attack, a third hit the first man and deflected out for a corner and a fourth was a superb wipped cross, the kind he should be producing like a robot time and time again, not once in a game.

Im not being overly critical of him, just pointing out what he should be doing. He also got the ball stuck under his feet a lot, didn't beat his man once, but because the team played so well as a unit, it carried him. I mean do people forget the first 30 mins when he failed to do anything decent and there were groans from the crowd? He improved as the game wore on though.

As for Dobson, he had a poor patch, where 5 or 6 consecutive passes didnt find their man. Pead was excellent from start to finish, gave us plenty of energy and running from the middle of the park.

6 points clear now, and without wanting to use too many silly cliches like "games like this win titles", we've just got to keep plodding away now until the end of the season. 19 games left, we're in a superb position, we just need to keep doing what we've done all season - not lose games - keep steady and we'll get there and triumph.

Just a mention for Dicky, he's got a very young squad, the team last night had an average outfield age of 26, a very good balance.

I thought the attendance was poor, even tho it was on sky, hopefully as the end of the season draws closer more attention will fall on us and awake the sleeping supporters!

PS the pitch looks awful. I was saying to mark at half time that the sand-drilling-draining thing they've done looks to make it worse. It looks to have dried the pitch out to such an extent that its begun dieing and chopping up even worse.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:47 am

The difference last night was that we actually dominated the midfield. As someone has rightly said, Dobson was excellent, but did the same job he's been doing for the last few weeks. If the players around him make space, he'll deliver the ball.
Nobody had a bad game last night. Wright has been criticised, but by his standards, he was OK. He is the weak link in the squad though.
Sam probably had his best game so far - came deep to receive the ball into feet, held it up well, and did superbly well for Butler's first goal. Cederqvist came on and gave a decent debut performance - if he continues with play like that which led up to him heading the ball narrowly over the bar, he'll score plenty. His first touch looked pretty deadly too.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:52 am

philthesaddler wrote:PS the pitch looks awful. I was saying to mark at half time that the sand-drilling-draining thing they've done looks to make it worse. It looks to have dried the pitch out to such an extent that its begun dieing and chopping up even worse.

I was saying exactly the same thing, they should have let it dry out naturally, now the top few inches are a mixture of sand and soil, I know the groundstaff are supposed to be the experts but......

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:55 am

A pleasing performance

The team went about their business in a functional manner. Great that Butler got two goals, that bloke deserves that after the hard work ovver the past few months. Sam looked interested, The defence was as usual solid. Pead seems to enjoy more freedom in midfield and it shows.

And the SWEDE! looks an interesting prospect.

Roll on to hillbilly Mansfield, which I can't now attend because of f**king work. :evil:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:03 am

Agree with most of the comments made but a couple of things I do take issue with;

i) Wright - he's not the "coward" some call him because he DOES always ask for the ball....even when he's having an absolute stinker like last night!! Yes a couple of good crosses, one for the 2nd goal, but generally he was way off his game. He'll bounce back and have a great game at some point (Mansfield perhaps?) but last night was NOT great!

ii) Keates - sorry but I thought he offered absolutely nothing on the left. Attacking - he really wasn't involved very often and his passing is at times woeful. Defensively - opposition players breeze past him like he isn't there. Added to which he goes chasing the ball and leaves his actual position wide open. Grimsby's decent attacks all came down that side and I thought Taylor had an excellent game in nullifying that threat with little support. I've said it before but will say it again...it's like watching a little boy playing against the big men. Never thought I'd say this......how we missed Fox!!!!!

Otherwise a very professional performance and one in which the excellent Pead and Dobson bossed the midfield - how many times have we been able to say that this season?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:05 am

I have to agree with what everyone has said. Professional performance, good ref, diappointing pitch (this was supposed to never happen again after the Wolves debacle), but best of all for me, was Par, who looks genuine quality.

I was thinking as I drove home that we have the squad now to get promotion both this season and next. Having the strength in the squad to take of Hector and bring on Par, and to lose Roper but bring on Gerrard, is fantastic. In fact I would go as far as to say that we are one player short of having a squad capable of finishing higher than any Walsall team ever has at the end of the 2008-2009 season. Admittedly that player would have to be of Martin O'Connor / David Preece quality, but since it is only one player I think we should be able to afford it, without breaking the bank.

Am I getting carried away....well probably.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:Agree with most of the comments made but a couple of things I do take issue with;

i) Wright - he's not the "coward" some call him because he DOES always ask for the ball....even when he's having an absolute stinker like last night!! Yes a couple of good crosses, one for the 2nd goal, but generally he was way off his game. He'll bounce back and have a great game at some point (Mansfield perhaps?) but last night was NOT great!

ii) Keates - sorry but I thought he offered absolutely nothing on the left. Attacking - he really wasn't involved very often and his passing is at times woeful. Defensively - opposition players breeze past him like he isn't there. Added to which he goes chasing the ball and leaves his actual position wide open. Grimsby's decent attacks all came down that side and I thought Taylor had an excellent game in nullifying that threat with little support. I've said it before but will say it again...it's like watching a little boy playing against the big men. Never thought I'd say this......how we missed Fox!!!!!

Otherwise a very professional performance and one in which the excellent Pead and Dobson bossed the midfield - how many times have we been able to say that this season?

Agreed what you said about Keates shrops. the lad gives is all but little else IMO. Pead on the other hand continues to impress in midfield.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:09 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:Agree with most of the comments made but a couple of things I do take issue with;

I agree about Wright and Keates, but I would be looking to Wrack to come in on the right and if not Fox then maybe Ishy on the left, once DD has finished working his magic on him. I am hoping that Lyall is quality and he will support the right flank far more than Westwood can.

Percie
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:10 am

Great preformance, worked hard and we justified why we are top of the league in the second half by tottally dominating the game. Very happy to see Butler back on the score sheet, he is one of the players in recent history that actually looks like he lives for this club, the way he celebrates his goals just show that. Brillaint to watch.

Once again Wright comes under alot of unjustifiable critisizum. For some reason his mistakes tend to be notcied more than anyone elses. It's as if the boo boys and chomping at the bit for him to screw up. I'll state again, WRIGHT IS ONE OF THE REASONS WE ARE DOING SO WELL THIS SEASON. Setting up most of our goals FACT.

Red Leader

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:12 am

watched it in the pub with a Grimsby fan (hello to him if hes reading - a nice chap) Thought I would share his views on the game.

he was impressed with us and thought we were a good footballing side. Was relieved to see Sam come off as thought the Grimsby defence was struggling to contain him. Ultimately he was pleased that it was only 2 nil. after the first minute he feared it could be 4 or 5 given Grimsby recent run of form, and that it was mainly our solid cautious approch which limited our goals (but did not really give them a sniff at goal in return). He was also a bit critical of Buckley's style of playing, he thought it was over elaborate at times trying to work the ball into the 'perfect position' before shooting, rather than having a pop and testing the keeper.

For my part I thought the entire team was outstanding in a non spectacular manner in that they all did their job well.
I did not recognise Sam from the player some UTS posters have described in the last few months (guess thats what competion for places does), he stayed on his feet and generally caused the Grimsby defence problems with his size and pace, great bit of skill for Butlers first, and he really should have had a goal himself when he was in acres of space at the in the'D'. Wrighty had a good enough game, hes never going to set the world alight but he is a decent lower league attacking winger. If I had to single one player out (apart from Butler) it would be Dann. The lad looked higher league (and dare I say championship/premiership defender in the making) material, good touch and awareness and more importantly his distribution and positioning are excellant...we may struggle to hold onto him!!
Last edited by Red Leader on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 am

PJD wrote:I have to agree with what everyone has said. Professional performance, good ref, diappointing pitch (this was supposed to never happen again after the Wolves debacle), but best of all for me, was Par, who looks genuine quality.

I was thinking as I drove home that we have the squad now to get promotion both this season and next. Having the strength in the squad to take of Hector and bring on Par, and to lose Roper but bring on Gerrard, is fantastic. In fact I would go as far as to say that we are one player short of having a squad capable of finishing higher than any Walsall team ever has at the end of the 2008-2009 season. Admittedly that player would have to be of Martin O'Connor / David Preece quality, but since it is only one player I think we should be able to afford it, without breaking the bank.

Am I getting carried away....well probably.

Just slightly :lol:

Just don't forget the difference in quality of opposition that we noticed at the beginning of this season. This is a terrible league, 90% of the teams are useless.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:18 am

Red Leader wrote: If I had to single one player out (apart from Butler) it would be Dann. The lad looked higher league (and dare I say championship/premiership defender in the making) material, good touch and awareness and more importantly his distribution and positioning are excellant...we may struggle to hold onto him!!

Would agree that he's an excellent prospect, very comfortable on the ball....but disagree about the positioning and this is the area he needs help with if he is to progress.

Certainly, when you're at the match and sitting at the sides, there are too many occasions when Dann doesn't hold the defensive line and plays the opposing striker onside and, whilst at this level, he makes up for it with his superb tackling and interceptions, at a higher level, this would be punished by the opposition. I'm sure it's something that he can learn and he probably needs a good coach (Mr Money!) and a very vocal experienced centre-half alongside him.

Red Leader

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:21 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Red Leader wrote: If I had to single one player out (apart from Butler) it would be Dann. The lad looked higher league (and dare I say championship/premiership defender in the making) material, good touch and awareness and more importantly his distribution and positioning are excellant...we may struggle to hold onto him!!

Would agree that he's an excellent prospect, very comfortable on the ball....but disagree about the positioning and this is the area he needs help with if he is to progress.

Certainly, when you're at the match and sitting at the sides, there are too many occasions when Dann doesn't hold the defensive line and plays the opposing striker onside and, whilst at this level, he makes up for it with his superb tackling and interceptions, at a higher level, this would be punished by the opposition. I'm sure it's something that he can learn and he probably needs a good coach (Mr Money!) and a very vocal experienced centre-half alongside him.

fair enough....I have to admit the positioning of the TV cameras at the Bescot does not always give the best perspective of a game

nottssaddler

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:39 am

Alan Buckley said "they didnt outfootball us"

what game was he watching?????

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:48 am

I can only assume he means that Grimsby had a spell of good football for about 10mn in the first half - fair enough.

Unfortunately for him we had about 50mn of good football, and there was about half an hour scrapping about.

Perhaps the level of football was no different at times, but the amount of quality football was severely in our favour

nottssaddler

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 am

Im getting sick of managers saying they didnt deserve to be beat.

I thought Buck got of lightly, it could have easily been 5-0

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:59 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:

could this be because hes dropping off to cover for a lack of pace?? i think that he a quality player but dont think he is quick enough for trhe prem.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:22 am

i though wright played well last night, i would have even given him a M.O.T.M. shout, he was a constant threat and even looked comfortable when he switched with Keates,

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:37 am

Agree with the majority of whats already been said... It was good all-round team performance last night, and I shouldn't really be picking people out - but I will.....

Butler - led the line really well, his running off the ball particularly impressive... not only is he good at creating space for himself, but he pulls defenders out of position, thus creating space for others. Great to see him back on the scoresheet too!

Sam - He looks to thrive on the competition for places, and definately warrants his starting place, in my opinion.

Ince - he commands his area really well, he must install such confidence in those infront of him - which shows.

Roper and Dann - this partnership is looking rock solid at the moment, they are both having cracking seasons.

Pead - I really like the look of him in this more advanced midfield role, he too makes some intelligent runs, giving his team-mates another option. His link-up play is very good and his passing game is improving every game.

A good night all-in-all... bring on Mansfield!

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:12 pm

It's lovely to read through a thread and see so many positive comments about our players, especially Pead, who a lot of you have given stick. I knew the potential was there, just had to wait for the chance to show it, and boy did he do that last night. I can now wear my top with pride :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Kiansmom wrote:It's lovely to read through a thread and see so many positive comments about our players, especially Pead, who a lot of you have given stick. I knew the potential was there, just had to wait for the chance to show it, and boy did he do that last night. I can now wear my top with pride :lol:

MMF , as said many times Pead would do a job for us in midfield .
how right he was .

just for you Linda :o

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:23 pm

Didn't go to the game, been a bit poorly, so decided to watch it at a friends

Was all to easy to be honest, few nervous moments at the back, but i think we have played a lot worse than that this season and still won.

Pead is playing in his proper position now, Dobson looks better for having him next to him.

Scott Dan just looks like a player destined for better things, and Clayton Ince took every cross that came in.

This team is going up, i have no doubt about it

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season