Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The Posh (A) League - Monday 1/1/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Purple Toucan Saddler

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:54 pm

Ironic that our form has changed at the end of the month in which DD won Manager of the month for November.

Hopefully, the jinx has now lifted, and fingers crossed that we closely avoid the award until we are promoted as champions.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Stu wrote:Just got back, and I must say, a very pleasing performance and added with Saturdays, signs that we're finding out feet again.

Strange match though... For 30 minutes we looked like Barcelona, for 30 minutes we comfortably strolled along and for 30 minutes we were a little slack.

First 15 was quiet and comfy... We then took control and dominated the match, until taking our foot off the gas for 10 minutes before the break and the first 15-20 of the 2nd half, when it would have got very nervy had they scored, but they lacked a real cutting edge... We then stepped it up again, before finishing very well.

Great solid performance throughout, once again we looked a bit more dangerous which co-incides with another good performance from Mark Wright.

1st goal - Butler brought down 20-25 yards from goal, left of centre. Fox hit it across the wall into the far corner, stunning shot. Huge question mark over the keeper, as it was 'his' side and wasn't quite top corner. Great power though, great technique.

2nd goal - Training ground routine... Dobson, the man that can't pass, dinked a 40 yard ball for Dann to attack who won it easily, headed it back to Westwood on the edge of the box... Now wait for the best, the ball was about 2 ft off the floor, 18 yards out, Westwood arched his back, and with his weaker left foot hit this stunning side on half volley that flew into the top corner. If he tried that another 99 times, they'd flow out for throw ins and over the stand. If Rooney scored that, it'd be goal of the season, I tell thee.

Defence was solid, Westwood (excellent again) and Taylor solid down the flanks, Dann was superb, Ropes was good...

MOTM - Take your pick from Dobson or Westwood (who is settling into a very good right back I think)

Midfield was greaat. Dobson cleaned up everything, won a huge number of tackles and passed it simple to either Pead, Westwood, Fox, Taylor or Wright. Pead covered constant ground, provided energy, ran with the ball and broke forward very well... Fast coming to the opinion that these two combine very well.

Special mention to Fox, who I've criticised a lot lately, got forward very well, looked very comfortable. Mark Wright was superb for me, really did cause them problems, they didn't like him running at them, put over numerous crosses that caused problems and was a constant outlet. His return to form is coinciding with us looking more dangerous.

Butler was as usual, although missed a sitter in the 1st half, and I mean a real sitter... Sam was good in the first half, but was absolutely stinking awful for 15 mins in the 2nd half when he was taken off. Sam was rightly booked for a disgusting attempt at a dive, acting like he had a heart attack, he then went down very easily soon after and I think Money took him off before he got a 2nd yellow for diving.

Overall, very pleasing performance. Always looked comfortable and in control, if Butler had put in the sitter at 2-0, we'd have hit 5 or 6 I reckon.

Getting back to our best it seems, if I want to be harsh, you'd again question that both goals came from set pieces again, but who cares if your scoring and winning as you'll always get set piieces... But we are looking more dangerous in opening play as of late.

Yeah - all that! Saves me a job!

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:08 pm

Stu wrote:Just got back, and I must say, a very pleasing performance and added with Saturdays, signs that we're finding out feet again.

Strange match though... For 30 minutes we looked like Barcelona, for 30 minutes we comfortably strolled along and for 30 minutes we were a little slack.

First 15 was quiet and comfy... We then took control and dominated the match, until taking our foot off the gas for 10 minutes before the break and the first 15-20 of the 2nd half, when it would have got very nervy had they scored, but they lacked a real cutting edge... We then stepped it up again, before finishing very well.

Great solid performance throughout, once again we looked a bit more dangerous which co-incides with another good performance from Mark Wright.

1st goal - Butler brought down 20-25 yards from goal, left of centre. Fox hit it across the wall into the far corner, stunning shot. Huge question mark over the keeper, as it was 'his' side and wasn't quite top corner. Great power though, great technique.

2nd goal - Training ground routine... Dobson, the man that can't pass, dinked a 40 yard ball for Dann to attack who won it easily, headed it back to Westwood on the edge of the box... Now wait for the best, the ball was about 2 ft off the floor, 18 yards out, Westwood arched his back, and with his weaker left foot hit this stunning side on half volley that flew into the top corner. If he tried that another 99 times, they'd flow out for throw ins and over the stand. If Rooney scored that, it'd be goal of the season, I tell thee.

Defence was solid, Westwood (excellent again) and Taylor solid down the flanks, Dann was superb, Ropes was good...

MOTM - Take your pick from Dobson or Westwood (who is settling into a very good right back I think)

Midfield was greaat. Dobson cleaned up everything, won a huge number of tackles and passed it simple to either Pead, Westwood, Fox, Taylor or Wright. Pead covered constant ground, provided energy, ran with the ball and broke forward very well... Fast coming to the opinion that these two combine very well.

Special mention to Fox, who I've criticised a lot lately, got forward very well, looked very comfortable. Mark Wright was superb for me, really did cause them problems, they didn't like him running at them, put over numerous crosses that caused problems and was a constant outlet. His return to form is coinciding with us looking more dangerous.

Butler was as usual, although missed a sitter in the 1st half, and I mean a real sitter... Sam was good in the first half, but was absolutely stinking awful for 15 mins in the 2nd half when he was taken off. Sam was rightly booked for a disgusting attempt at a dive, acting like he had a heart attack, he then went down very easily soon after and I think Money took him off before he got a 2nd yellow for diving.

Overall, very pleasing performance. Always looked comfortable and in control, if Butler had put in the sitter at 2-0, we'd have hit 5 or 6 I reckon.

Getting back to our best it seems, if I want to be harsh, you'd again question that both goals came from set pieces again, but who cares if your scoring and winning as you'll always get set piieces... But we are looking more dangerous in opening play as of late.

Great summing up to what sounded like a good job well done.

UTS

futuresobright

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:23 pm

[quote="shrewsbury saddler"]Just how goood a manager is DD?I've seen Bill Moore,Doug Fraser,Dave Mackay, Buckley,Chris Nicholl ,Sir Ray and Colin Lee and I think he's got the potential to be our best ever manager.
erm ...well if we ignore the facts that our 'success' in this pathetic division has been largely based on playing in a manner offensive to the spirt of the beautiful game and that DD has assembled the weakest squad seen in a decade perhaps a case could be made that he is the best manager we have had since PM left.
Yet again today our win was based around players DD inherited, and hampered (with the exclusion of Ince) by the deadbeats he brought to the club who still make the team. Which brings me to Martin Butler, or as UTS posters know him, 'the superb Martin Butler'. Considering the fact that in the last five seasons Butler's scoring tally has reached double figures just once perhaps we shouldn't be surprised at how lame he is. But for the main striker in a team at the top of the league to have netted only 6 league goals is breathtaking. Superb? well I guess he does everything you want from a centre forward apart from scoring goals, making goals (3 assists!), racing past defenders and winning anything in the air. I love it when posters try to cover for his inept displays by refering to his workrate and, more mysteriously, how well he 'leads the line'.
Still anyone can make a mistake, or in DD's case 6 (I won't bother listing them all again) and in the spirit of a new year I look forward optimistically to better performances based around sensible selection (Ishy, Nichols, Wrack, Constable and Keates) and effective contributions from his latest, and any future, signings.
Up the saddlers.

TofDover
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:24 pm

Who is our next match?, where?, When?, will it be on Sky a 2 week break at this time of year is so unusual , not to sure I like such a long break after playing so well

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:27 pm

futuresobright wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:Just how goood a manager is DD?I've seen Bill Moore,Doug Fraser,Dave Mackay, Buckley,Chris Nicholl ,Sir Ray and Colin Lee and I think he's got the potential to be our best ever manager.
erm ...well if we ignore the facts that our 'success' in this pathetic division has been largely based on playing in a manner offensive to the spirt of the beautiful game and that DD has assembled the weakest squad seen in a decade perhaps a case could be made that he is the best manager we have had since PM left.
Yet again today our win was based around players DD inherited, and hampered (with the exclusion of Ince) by the deadbeats he brought to the club who still make the team. Which brings me to Martin Butler, or as UTS posters know him, 'the superb Martin Butler'. Considering the fact that in the last five seasons Butler's scoring tally has reached double figures just once perhaps we shouldn't be surprised at how lame he is. But for the main striker in a team at the top of the league to have netted only 6 league goals is breathtaking. Superb? well I guess he does everything you want from a centre forward apart from scoring goals, making goals (3 assists!), racing past defenders and winning anything in the air. I love it when posters try to cover for his inept displays by refering to his workrate and, more mysteriously, how well he 'leads the line'.
Still anyone can make a mistake, or in DD's case 6 (I won't bother listing them all again) and in the spirit of a new year I look forward optimistically to better performances based around sensible selection (Ishy, Nichols, Wrack, Constable and Keates) and effective contributions from his latest, and any future, signings.
Up the saddlers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for that FSB or should that be FFS.
I love your postings they really crack me up.

Happy New Year.

DD OUT :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:52 pm

:lol:

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:54 pm

excellent win today by the lads, really showed our class today, killed peterborough off with 2 quality goals.
peterbourgh were never in the game and it showed when we went 2-0 up before half time.
we came out more relaxed in the 2nd half and let peterbourgh come at us, but we defender well when we needed to and had chances to make the scoreline even bigger.

what was even better was we put together around 30 paces together just after we went 2-0 up without Boro touching the ball and we got a corner from it, and roper taking on a player from boro aswell.

well done Walsall keep it up

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:00 pm

futuresobright wrote:Just how goood a manager is DD?I've seen Bill Moore,Doug Fraser,Dave Mackay, Buckley,Chris Nicholl ,Sir Ray and Colin Lee and I think he's got the potential to be our best ever manager.
Up the saddlers.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrmm, it's January 1st not April 1st isn't it? :wink:

Although I agree that we need our strikers to start scoring the goals again, the rest is laughable. I'm convinced this is all tongue in cheek now, if not, I'm amazed. :shock:

renegade-saddler
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:06 pm

well today was my 1st ever saddlers away match....and im proud :lol:

it was an ok match, i just think we gave the ball away a bit too much.....especially in the 2nd half

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:10 pm

futuresobright wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:Just how goood a manager is DD?I've seen Bill Moore,Doug Fraser,Dave Mackay, Buckley,Chris Nicholl ,Sir Ray and Colin Lee and I think he's got the potential to be our best ever manager.
Still anyone can make a mistake, or in DD's case 6 (I won't bother listing them all again) and in the spirit of a new year I
look forward optimistically to better performances based around sensible selection (Ishy, Nichols, Wrack, Constable and Keates) and effective contributions from his latest, and any future, signings.
Up the saddlers.

Bernard Matthews is looking for new turkeys I understand. !

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:21 pm

Well..What a quality performance! The defense was solid, Dobson played very well, picked up the scraps that tried coming through. With what stu said that's bang on, so won't go on too much.

2 Superb goals..Westwood's was a beauty! :lol:

Also the 30 or so passes we put together was a delight to watch! great stuff..

UP THE SADDLERS!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:23 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:Well..What a quality performance! The defense was solid, Dobson played very well, picked up the scraps that tried coming through. With what stu said that's bang on, so won't go on too much.

UP THE SADDLERS!

Brazil, its just like watching Brazil......

Quality moment! And, I beleive Gary had an accident when Roper did that turn :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:27 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:Well..What a quality performance! The defense was solid, Dobson played very well, picked up the scraps that tried coming through. With what stu said that's bang on, so won't go on too much.

UP THE SADDLERS!

Brazil, its just like watching Brazil......

Quality moment! And, I beleive Gary had an accident when Roper did that turn :lol:

indeed, im still scraping from the inside of my pants

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:32 pm

futuresobright wrote:
Up the saddlers.

Up YOURS! Nevermind Up the saddlers! :twisted:

5 points clear at top!

WE ARE GOING UP!
Say WE ARE GOING UP!

DD BARMY ARMY.
DD BARMY ARMY!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
MINT!

Futursobright is in fact DIM!
T IT!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:33 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
futuresobright wrote:
Up the saddlers.

Up YOURS! Nevermind Up the saddlers! :twisted:

5 points clear at top!

WE ARE GOING UP!
Say WE ARE GOING UP!

DD BARMY ARMY.
DD BARMY ARMY!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
MINT!

Futursobright is in fact DIM!
T IT!

Love yow happy bear

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:35 pm

Everyone LOVES ME, once they have met me!
Even Gary! :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:37 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Everyone LOVES ME, once they have met me!
Even Gary! :wink:

It was good today

Me and MMF even did an objective experiment for Wright and Dobson

Give each of them a point for each bad or good thing they did...

Bad Wright 12 - Good Wright 21

Bad Dobson 11 - Good Dobson 15

Of course spoke to unnamed fans today at half time who said Wright would be 10-0 to the bad

Those who will not see.....

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:38 pm

futuresobright wrote:
Up the saddlers.

"WHO R YA"!!!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:39 pm

I like futuresobright.

They give a good example of how UTS reacts when an opinion which goes against the grain is made - needless to say the reaction is quite poor.

The Chris Morris of the board? Quite probably.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:40 pm

AC wrote:I like futuresobright.

They give a good example of how UTS reacts when an opinion which goes against the grain is made - needless to say the reaction is quite poor.

Chris Morris, not glaringly obvious hence funny.

FSB obvious hence unfunny

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:42 pm

You think organisations like GEFAFWISP aren't glaringly obvious?

They weren't to the fools he was mocking, which is the same situation on UTS.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:43 pm

Oh shut up AC.
How can you like someone who is that STUPID, he has not realised we are top of the league by 5 points?
You just like the minority, because thats what you like to be.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:44 pm

Conform to non conformity, its still conforming though.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:46 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Oh shut up AC.
How can you like someone who is that STUPID, he has not realised we are top of the league by 5 points?

It's not that I like being in the minority, but if I agree/disagree with something I'll say so. I believe I've made an unbiased and more importantly unoffensive account of myself on this matter, so any words of frustration are made purely on your part.

Good day 8)

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:52 pm

AC wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Oh shut up AC.

It's not that I like being in the minority, but if I agree/disagree with something I'll say so. I believe I've made an unbiased and more importantly unoffensive account of myself on this matter, so any words of frustration are made purely on your part.

Good day 8)

SO why do you like him, just because he is in a minority view?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:53 pm

...now you're just winding me up Sheff :P

Pelsall_Saddler

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:54 pm

Yes the match was good today...

Graydon48
Glitterati

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:09 pm

Great performance today although to be fair it could have been about 5-2 at half time they did have a couple of good chances.
Strange to hear on the radio on the way back one of their fans moaning they had no width.
I thought the guy out wide on the left particulary in the first half gave us a few problems, if he only looked to see what was on could have had us in trouble a few times.
Was surprised to see how good their pitch was certainly helped us looked like a bowling green compared with ours.
Ps sat in the stands, never seen so many old people not often I can say I was one of the youngest there.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:34 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:Me and MMF even did an objective experiment for Wright and Dobson

Give each of them a point for each bad or good thing they did...

Bad Wright 12 - Good Wright 21

Bad Dobson 11 - Good Dobson 15

That's hardly a conclusive experiment though, is it. It's all based on what you think is 'good' and what you think is 'bad'. There were probably a lot of things you didn't even notice.
I did hear that they both played very well though.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season