Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The Posh (A) League - Monday 1/1/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Norfolk_Saddler wrote:We are five points (six if you count the goal difference as being worth a point) clear as it stands, and 19 points clear of Hereford in 8th as it stands.

Only us and Swindon winning in the top 13 at the moment.

Stop the world. I want to get off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Norfolk_Saddler wrote:We are five points (six if you count the goal difference as being worth a point) clear as it stands, and 19 points clear of Hereford in 8th as it stands.

Aren't Hartlepool winning too?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
latviancheese wrote:bedau misses a sitter. Should of done better. Nothing new then.

I think you should have done better too.

Oh no my grammar isnt up to scratch. well excuuuuuuseeeee me.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:46 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:bedau misses a sitter. Should of done better. Nothing new then.

Were we separated at birth?

Maybe so.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:47 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Be careful if you criticise others that you are without reproach!

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:48 pm

Bedeau c*cks it up again.

Quelle Surprise.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

shrewsbury saddler wrote:I think we could struggle.not because I'm a pessimist or I think things are going wrong.Just that I think the last two games will take their toll,and listening to DD on WM,he doesn't think he's got many alternatives and I think he play a very similar team.A point would be great-then we've got nearly a fortnight to recuperate and integrate the new signings.

Show's what I know doesn't it? Maybe I should get myself a job summarising on Sky.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Excuse me?

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:49 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Aren't Hartlepool winning too?

I was just testing.......... :oops:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:52 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Excuse me?

Well, if you want to criticise Bedeau for not doing a good job, make sure you do.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:53 pm

oh right. Well it wouldnt be demontagnac id be getting rid of in january...

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:54 pm

I can see Macclesfield beating Chelsea at this rate :lol:

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Got to go now. Am going to ring Talksport and leave a message for that clown Adrian Durham.
7-0 on aggregate.

:lol:

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:55 pm

Happy New Year. :lol:

and the Scraggies have been stuffed as well. :wink:
Last edited by Maverick on Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:55 pm

Well 2 0, great result, Kearns is rambling on giving this performance a 9 out of 10, thats going a bit far for me considering their recent form - boro sounded a terrible side with no confidence and thats probably the reason we kept the ball and created chances, but still a very good result, as I write this 5 points clear so thatll do nicely.

PS; does Kearns remind anyone of the "no, no, no" chap off vicar of dibley?

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Unbeaten in 2007

Let no goals in in 2007

Super super Saddlers - :D

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:02 pm

Just how goood a manager is DD?I've seen Bill Moore,Doug Fraser,Dave Mackay, Buckley,Chris Nicholl ,Sir Ray and Colin Lee and I think he's got the potential to be our best ever manager I've seen.I wouldn't have settled for a draw today' I'd have settlled for a low defeat.but we cone out and win 2-0.Brilliant.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:03 pm

Wish I'd have gone now :( :roll:

Matt'sdad

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:04 pm

[ I predict a positive result against the Posh tomorrow

Mystic Meg strikes again

UTS :D :D :D

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:05 pm

cyclothymic wrote:Unbeaten in 2007

Let no goals in in 2007

Super super Saddlers - :D

Like it :lol:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:09 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Well 2 0, great result, Kearns is rambling on giving this performance a 9 out of 10, thats going a bit far for me considering their recent form - boro sounded a terrible side with no confidence and thats probably the reason we kept the ball and created chances, but still a very good result, as I write this 5 points clear so thatll do nicely.

Great as well because its unlikely we'll be knocked off the top spot before we play on the 15th now.
Dongs would have to beat both Lincoln and Hartlepool.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:11 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Just how goood a manager is DD?I've seen Bill Moore,Doug Fraser,Dave Mackay, Buckley,Chris Nicholl ,Sir Ray and Colin Lee and I think he's got the potential to be our best ever manager I've seen.I wouldn't have settled for a draw today' I'd have settlled for a low defeat.but we cone out and win 2-0.Brilliant.

I think he has a lot to go to top Colin Lee, afterall Lee was our manager in the CHAMPIONSHIP and kept us up 2 years on bounce!
And would have been 3 if he had been giving backing when required!
But thats another argument!
Well done DD!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Well 2 0, great result, Kearns is rambling on giving this performance a 9 out of 10, thats going a bit far for me considering their recent form - boro sounded a terrible side with no confidence and thats probably the reason we kept the ball and created chances, but still a very good result, as I write this 5 points clear so thatll do nicely.

:lol:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:12 pm

Great start to 2007!
A win against a team in play offs away from home.
5 points clear at top!
18 points clear from play off position!
Its great to be a Saddler again.

P.S I wonder if Dobson will be slated for his performance today! :twisted:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:22 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Great start to 2007!
5 points clear at top!

Man of the match, according to the Fat Controller, Sheff:-

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... full-time/
Last edited by Neil Ravenscroft on Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swillw

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Excellent, great start to 2007! :D

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:47 pm

Absolutely fantastic result today. I thought the players' legs had "gone" after Saturday and the last minute equaliser from Rovers. Amazing that the same 11 took the field 48 hours later and produced that result. I dont know what the performance was like or indeed the conditions there - it has been raining most of the afternoon here in Halesowen. Marvellous recovery from the players and indeed the manager to get another performance out of them.

We can all enjoy the two weeks rest and recuperation and come back refreshed on the 15th. :D :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:02 pm

I didn't go to the game today, but it'll be interesting to see what some people say about Fox, Westwood and Dobson, who in my opinion, have been 3 of our best players this season. Some people love to hate them.
Glad to hear on WM that we kept the ball really well today - sounds like Money has pulled off a masterstroke in making the players do fitness training in the early pre-season.
Also glad to hear that Pead played an important role in the side. He definitely helps us move the ball forward with pace. Maybe that means we only need to sign one midfielder in January rather than two.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:30 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Great start to 2007!
5 points clear at top!

Man of the match, according to the Fat Controller, Sheff:-

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... full-time/

The fat controller is never wrong , if he says Dobson was motm thats good enough for me . but i doubt it will stop the boo boys .

Super result today and excellent performance by all accounts , and one in the eye for all who still doubt , Nice rest for the lads now . new signings coming in , things are looking good for the new year.

UP THE SUPER SADDLERS

BELIEVE WE ARE GOING UP

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:33 pm

Just got back, and I must say, a very pleasing performance and added with Saturdays, signs that we're finding out feet again.

Strange match though... For 30 minutes we looked like Barcelona, for 30 minutes we comfortably strolled along and for 30 minutes we were a little slack.

First 15 was quiet and comfy... We then took control and dominated the match, until taking our foot off the gas for 10 minutes before the break and the first 15-20 of the 2nd half, when it would have got very nervy had they scored, but they lacked a real cutting edge... We then stepped it up again, before finishing very well.

Great solid performance throughout, once again we looked a bit more dangerous which co-incides with another good performance from Mark Wright.

1st goal - Butler brought down 20-25 yards from goal, left of centre. Fox hit it across the wall into the far corner, stunning shot. Huge question mark over the keeper, as it was 'his' side and wasn't quite top corner. Great power though, great technique.

2nd goal - Training ground routine... Dobson, the man that can't pass, dinked a 40 yard ball for Dann to attack who won it easily, headed it back to Westwood on the edge of the box... Now wait for the best, the ball was about 2 ft off the floor, 18 yards out, Westwood arched his back, and with his weaker left foot hit this stunning side on half volley that flew into the top corner. If he tried that another 99 times, they'd flow out for throw ins and over the stand. If Rooney scored that, it'd be goal of the season, I tell thee.

Defence was solid, Westwood (excellent again) and Taylor solid down the flanks, Dann was superb, Ropes was good...

MOTM - Take your pick from Dobson or Westwood (who is settling into a very good right back I think)

Midfield was greaat. Dobson cleaned up everything, won a huge number of tackles and passed it simple to either Pead, Westwood, Fox, Taylor or Wright. Pead covered constant ground, provided energy, ran with the ball and broke forward very well... Fast coming to the opinion that these two combine very well.

Special mention to Fox, who I've criticised a lot lately, got forward very well, looked very comfortable. Mark Wright was superb for me, really did cause them problems, they didn't like him running at them, put over numerous crosses that caused problems and was a constant outlet. His return to form is coinciding with us looking more dangerous.

Butler was as usual, although missed a sitter in the 1st half, and I mean a real sitter... Sam was good in the first half, but was absolutely stinking awful for 15 mins in the 2nd half when he was taken off. Sam was rightly booked for a disgusting attempt at a dive, acting like he had a heart attack, he then went down very easily soon after and I think Money took him off before he got a 2nd yellow for diving.

Overall, very pleasing performance. Always looked comfortable and in control, if Butler had put in the sitter at 2-0, we'd have hit 5 or 6 I reckon.

Getting back to our best it seems, if I want to be harsh, you'd again question that both goals came from set pieces again, but who cares if your scoring and winning as you'll always get set piieces... But we are looking more dangerous in opening play as of late.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season