Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The Posh (A) League - Monday 1/1/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:36 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:Me and MMF even did an objective experiment for Wright and Dobson

Give each of them a point for each bad or good thing they did...

Bad Wright 12 - Good Wright 21

Bad Dobson 11 - Good Dobson 15

That's hardly a conclusive experiment though, is it. It's all based on what you think is 'good' and what you think is 'bad'. There were probably a lot of things you didn't even notice.
I did hear that they both played very well though.

We were trying to be as objective as possible, good passes, tackles etc vs bad passes, bottling and general cack, i know its not opta but try it on a player im sure if someone else did it for either player today theyd get about the same

WS1
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:46 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
exiledsaddler wrote:Fox booked, possibly for handball or time-wasting.

The BBC Live text is so bad at times!

got it from sky, they say time wasting

Booked for kicking the ball away.

WS1
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:01 pm

Worth the £18 to see two of the best goals seen away this season. :wink:

Stan P's new years not to have a rant at the refs lasted 44 minutes :lol: :wink:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:38 pm

futuresobright wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:Just how goood a manager is DD?I've seen Bill Moore,Doug Fraser,Dave Mackay, Buckley,Chris Nicholl ,Sir Ray and Colin Lee and I think he's got the potential to be our best ever manager.
erm ...well if we ignore the facts that our 'success' in this pathetic division has been largely based on playing in a manner offensive to the spirt of the beautiful game and that DD has assembled the weakest squad seen in a decade perhaps a case could be made that he is the best manager we have had since PM left.
Yet again today our win was based around players DD inherited, and hampered (with the exclusion of Ince) by the deadbeats he brought to the club who still make the team. Which brings me to Martin Butler, or as UTS posters know him, 'the superb Martin Butler'. Considering the fact that in the last five seasons Butler's scoring tally has reached double figures just once perhaps we shouldn't be surprised at how lame he is. But for the main striker in a team at the top of the league to have netted only 6 league goals is breathtaking. Superb? well I guess he does everything you want from a centre forward apart from scoring goals, making goals (3 assists!), racing past defenders and winning anything in the air. I love it when posters try to cover for his inept displays by refering to his workrate and, more mysteriously, how well he 'leads the line'.
Still anyone can make a mistake, or in DD's case 6 (I won't bother listing them all again) and in the spirit of a new year I look forward optimistically to better performances based around sensible selection (Ishy, Nichols, Wrack, Constable and Keates) and effective contributions from his latest, and any future, signings.
Up the saddlers.

Cheers Bernie! I knew I was right.Just nice to have FSB disagreeing with you to prove it.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:40 am

WS1 wrote:Worth the £18 to see two of the best goals seen away this season. :wink:

Stan P's new years not to have a rant at the refs lasted 44 minutes :lol: :wink:

you must have sat in the seats!! was worth the £13 I paid

first half I thought we were excellent! may be it's the fact that we had a midfield, thought bouth Dobson (who I have criticised before) and Pead did well. The passing game was back for a while.To be honest Boro never looked even close to scoring, the tactic of hoof and hope was a waste of time as both Dann and Ropes dealt with eveything.Loved the spell of about 30 Walsall passses and the chorus of "Just like watching Brazil!"

Second half not as good, but I doubt we could have kept up the play of the first half. Was disgusted with Sam's dive! not only did he dive but he had his hands round his throat as he did it! was worse than Drogba. B******* man was behind me and frightened the life out of me when he shouted.

The food and drink was cold! I was totally frozen but I did get to meet DZ and we got 3 very well deserved points!!

UTS
Last edited by Kiansmom on Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:43 am

WS1 wrote:Worth the £18 to see two of the best goals seen away this season. :wink:

Yea Stan P is still a hooligan , the ref police are watching him .

Maybe he will be better when the Sun comes back out and he can use his magic cream :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:49 am

Saw Westwood's goal on sky last night . it was a beauty,after he scored he ran to DD they hugged each other and the rest of the players joined in .
Great scenes , great goal , great result.

I've never seen Westy move so quick :wink: :D

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:41 am

Very comfortable away win. We had a 5 minute spell in the 1st half that was superb, including a spell of what seemed like 20 passes [to accompamying chants of 'Ole'] that would have made Cambiasos goal for Argentina look like park football.
Unfortunately this, along with the chants of 'Just like watchng Brazil' seemed to make the players forget that we are actually in Division 4, and we could easily have conceded a couple before half time if Ince had not made one brilliant save and a couple of other blocks.

Second half was comfortable...I'm sure DD reminded them that there was a game to win, and we never really looked in trouble.

Great result. Very good performance, Roper and Dobson outstanding.
Oh....and 2 thunderbolt goals.

WS1
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Pedro wrote:

Maybe he will be better when the Sun comes back out and he can use his magic cream :wink:

Oh dear Pedro he will be gunning for you at the Grimsby game, he was a happy lad driving back from London Road but he don't like being called an HOOLIGAN, watch out for his out burst when he see's you next !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Play it COOL Pedro 8) 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by WS1 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WS1
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:45 pm

Pedro wrote:

Is that the cream for his balding head !!!!!!!!!! :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:20 pm

Kiansmom wrote:

first half I thought we were excellent! may be it's the fact that we had a midfield, thought bouth Dobson (who I have criticised before) and Pead did well. The passing game was back for a while.To be honest Boro never looked even close to scoring, the tactic of hoof and hope was a waste of time as both Dann and Ropes dealt with eveything.Loved the spell of about 30 Walsall passses and the chorus of "Just like watching Brazil!"

Second half not as good, but I doubt we could have kept up the play of the first half. Was disgusted with Sam's dive! not only did he dive but he had his hands round his throat as he did it! was worse than Drogba. B******* man was behind me and frightened the life out of me when he shouted.

The food and drink was cold! I was totally frozen but I did get to meet DZand we got 3 very well deserved points!!

UTS

Oh well Linda, hopefully the 3 points made up for the unfortunate event of meeting DZ :lol:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:53 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

The food and drink was cold! I was totally frozen but I did get to meet DZand we got 3 very well deserved points!!

UTS

Oh well Linda, hopefully the 3 points made up for the unfortunate event of meeting DZ :lol:

he is rather on the tall side! luckily he stood to the side of us so me and Rach could see :lol:

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:54 pm

The commentators said Scott Dann got booked during the match.. also in the match report on the O/S it say Scott Dann got booked just in the dying seconds of the 1st half.

Anyone at the game that can confirm this....

None of the match facts websites have noticed Danns booking

I want my playerstats page to be as accurate as possible.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:41 pm

Kiansmom wrote:

The food and drink was cold! I was totally frozen but I did get to meet DZ and we got 3 very well deserved points!!

UTS

Sorry Kiansmom-i am a bit loud sometimes!!!

And as for £13 to see the two good goals. Its even better when you only pay a tenner and using your NUS card for learning Welsh once a week. Mind you 400 mile round trip was a git!

deanonev69
Glitterati

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:42 pm

PerStener wrote:The commentators said Scott Dann got booked during the match.. also in the match report on the O/S it say Scott Dann got booked just in the dying seconds of the 1st half.

Anyone at the game that can confirm this....

None of the match facts websites have noticed Danns booking

I want my playerstats page to be as accurate as possible.

He did get booked yes-clumsy challenge close to half way line

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:54 pm

Dean... Was that on request or did you just to decide to do it for no random reason... Made me chuckle, as nothing was going on and they were taking a random throw in... Everything went silent, then whoooooshh...

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 pm

yes was a brilliant game yesterday well worth getting no sleep for, well except on the coach on the way there and back! b*stard man deafened me too as was standing next to Linda, but still it always makes me laugh when he shouts it! i knew it was coming as i kept hearing him say "is getting to the point now, when he comes 10 more yards down here i going to have him!" :lol: but still never told Linda :lol: Sorry!
And i got in for a junior again! :lol: so only paid £9! in all was a great day!
UTS!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:51 pm

Saddler4Life wrote:yes was a brilliant game yesterday well worth getting no sleep for, well except on the coach on the way there and back! b*stard man deafened me too as was standing next to Linda, but still it always makes me laugh when he shouts it! i knew it was coming as i kept hearing him say "is getting to the point now, when he comes 10 more yards down here i going to have him!" :lol: but still never told Linda :lol: Sorry!
UTS!

Pissed as a fart and getting in as a nipper ?

You ought to be ashamed Rach. :lol:

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
Saddler4Life wrote:yes was a brilliant game yesterday well worth getting no sleep for, well except on the coach on the way there and back! b*stard man deafened me too as was standing next to Linda, but still it always makes me laugh when he shouts it! i knew it was coming as i kept hearing him say "is getting to the point now, when he comes 10 more yards down here i going to have him!" :lol: but still never told Linda :lol: Sorry!
UTS!

i am im so ashamed! :oops:

NOT :D

Pelsall_Saddler

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:15 pm

Do you come from Wales every match B man?

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:03 am

Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

I think when we get to the turnstiles they all asssume she's my daughter :oops:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:50 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

:oops: :roll:

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:24 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

nothing wrong with that is there Linda ??? :lol:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:41 pm

Saddler4Life wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

No, I'd swap you for my daughter anyday! :lol:

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:49 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
Saddler4Life wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

No, I'd swap you for my daughter anyday! :lol:

:lol: :D :D :D

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

I got in for £9 too.. :lol: :oops:

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:55 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

its all good coxy ... dont worry about it! :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Saddler4Life wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

There is when she gives you a swig of her hip flask and crashes you a fag as you walk to the (junior) turnstiles :lol:

Actually I used to do the same. Get in Fellows Park for a kid, do the same on the football special back to Burntwood and then pop in The Greyhound for a quick couple of pints before going home :oops:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:29 am

Dave Roe wrote:
Saddler4Life wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

There is when she gives you a swig of her hip flask and crashes you a fag as you walk to the (junior) turnstiles :lol:

Actually I used to do the same. Get in Fellows Park for a kid, do the same on the football special back to Burntwood and then pop in The Greyhound for a quick couple of pints before going home :oops:

I'll have you know Mr Roe, I've never owned a hip flask in my life :oops: and Rach is a good girl and given up smoking :lol:

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:55 am

Saddler4Life wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
UTS!

its all good coxy ... dont worry about it! :lol:

i gave the bloke a trenner and he said under 16 or student, after a short pause i went under 16, that £ come in handy for my chicken meat and chips back in walsall :lol:

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season