Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League - Saturday 30/12/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
stealth_vision

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:25 pm

where was the sub

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:28 pm

Very disappointing.

Id say we just edged it, but a draw was fair enough perhaps.

I thought Roper was poor, I thought Fox was awful, Wright is crap, and Butler gave away two fouls that lead to our conceeded goals. very naive.

I thought Sam was brilliant today, always looked for the ball, and looked dangerous. I thoguht Dobbo had another good game, missed him in that period he went off (they scored as well), I thought Pead didnt do much wrong, Dann is premiership class.

All in all, very disappointing, need a win at peterboro now.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:33 pm

stealth_vision wrote:where was the sub

No sub because hes going. and good riddance to the prat.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Didnt go, but this is a terrible result. Since Bury we have been very poor. Kinsellas departure has affected us much more than we thought it would.

The way I see it; if we know want to go on and win this league, we must strengthen our midfield big time. Were arguably sorted upfront and at the back but in midfield we are very lacking. Some might say Wright isnt good enough, some might say the same about dobson, fox is a defender - an average left back at best. We need to strengthen, and it is most needed in midfield. Having the likes of Mark Wright and Danny Fox on your wings wont win you leagues - they simply dont want it enough.

BEACON SADDLER

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:47 pm

good summing up by metfan.wright is absolutely cack,thought the biggest mistakes were made by dd in not slowing the game down after dann scored with a couple of substitutions.
we are now conceding from free kicks and set pieces because of this ridiculous tactic of pulling everyone back into the box meaning the opposition have noone to worry about on the counter attack
tactically weve been sussed out by the opposition and its a bit worrying

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:50 pm

BEACON SADDLER wrote:good summing up by metfan.wright is absolutely cack,thought the biggest mistakes were made by dd in not slowing the game down after dann scored with a couple of substitutions.
we are now conceding from free kicks and set pieces because of this ridiculous tactic of pulling everyone back into the box meaning the opposition have noone to worry about on the counter attack
tactically weve been sussed out by the opposition and its a bit worrying

Yep.

Lord_Byron_Gas

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm a Rovers fan I couldn't make the game today because I was working but I got in and saw you scored in 88th minute so I thought it was all over. Just checked our official site and it says we managed to score a late equaliser. Seemed like a cracking game and the result suits us more for obvious reasons.

When you came to us earlier in the season your defence was rock solid. We arguebly dominated the game but just couldn't get past you back four, and Ince aswell who was top quality, apart from his kicking.

I'm guessing both of our goals were from set-pieces as Elliott scored twice, as he is our centre back. So again your defence must have been playing well again today apart from the high balls?

Well played Warsaw and I'm sure you'll go on to win the league. Just keep the faith, that's what we've had to learn to do.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:05 pm

Well its two points dropped.

I thought Fox was useless today, along with Kris Taylor and Mark Wright. Wrighty ran alot of ground today but his crossing was woeful. Why did we continue to play through the mud when it was obvious the ball wasnt going to go very far? I still dont understand the people around me at the match moaning about Dobson. I thought he had one of his better games today.

Dicky dropped a b****k today with us playing on a very heavy pitch and playing our 4th game of a busy xmas period, why didnt he use a sub?
Surely you make subs with 1 or 2 minutes to go when your in front to waste a bit of time. It was crying out for Deano to be brought on for Butler to waste time and make us more solid.

Only 2 points clear of MK Dons and considering we were 9 points clear at the start of the month, I am dissapointed.

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:07 pm

I will come back later with my fantastic in depth analysis but I must just say.

Dobson should have been subbed when he was injured as he was poor today.He was off the pitch for 5/6 minutes. We were down to 10 when they scored then they scored again in time added on for the injury...Double whammy.

Perhaps the league should introduce blood replacements as we were disadvantaged through no fault of our own.

Faux pas on Dickys part?

Oh and MW lost possesion far too often when he tried to beat the full back ruining too many good attacks and putting us back under pressure needlessly :evil:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:08 pm

dornansog wrote:
Oh and MW lost possesion far too often when he tried to beat the full back ruining too many good attacks and putting us back under pressure needlessly :evil:

Very good point, The mark wright i love you for no reason association will sight this is singling him out, but it isnt, its a very clear fact that every time hje lost the ball, we were put under pressure.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:19 pm

Unable to go today, so listened to the commentary on BBC Bristol, as well as regular updates from the ground itself. The state of the pitch was mentioned constantly, though my contact at the ground said that this probably suited us more than them. DD really should have made a tactical change when Dann scored, but we can all say this after the event. From listening to the commentary, it seemed a fair result, and a thoroughly entertaining second half. Can't quite believe the boos at the final whistle though - hopefully this was from just a few cantankerous old gits below the commentary postion.

Rovers felt they could have won it in the last seconds - were they disputing if the ball had crossed the line at that final corner? Perversely, I can't help thinking this is a point gained, when we look back. We could easily have lost against a side who are far better than their position suggests. My contact said they were probably the best side we have played at Bescot, bar Swindon.

MK are on a roll at the moment, but we are still two points clear. OK, we were nine, but we were never realistically going to keep that sort of lead. It is now up to DD to see what he can do when the transfer window opens and what sort of central midfielder we can get.

Oh, and BBC Bristol said that Sam was excellent.

UTS

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:20 pm

its 2 points lost for the championship but no ground lost for promotion i cant understand why you keep on at dobson we have not got anybody else who is big and strong and can play that role the problem today was down the left with taylor and fox with taylor being caught out of position a few times dickie should have brought bedeau and keates wide for wright and fox.

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:25 pm

I think he should have brought on Bedeau for Wright ,Keates for Fox and possibly Bradley for Dobson at twenty second intervals after we went ahead :wink:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:43 pm

DD said on WM that he didn't bring on a sub because they'd be unable to adjust to the pace of the game and the conditions.I'm not too convinced.most of the matches we play over the next couple of months will probably be on similar pitches.it was crying out for a midfielder/defender for one of the forwards after Dann scored.
I thought Bristol were one of them most enterprising teams I've seen a Bescot.They obviously came thinking they could win and not to put 11 behind the ball and they broke well.
Not sure why we kept trying tp pass in the mud in the middle.Also not sure why we didn't shoot more,given the difficult conditions-especially in the first half.
Overall a good game given the conditions and disappointing to concede so late,but not a disaster.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:45 pm

Fox is currently playing with a hernia which will require an operation in the new year. Just goes to show how scarce our resources are at the moment.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:45 pm

Well..Quality game of football the second half, End to end stuff. Talking to some rovers fans on the way home..They said it was like a cup game with end to end stuff, He also said we are way up there and should have nothin to worry about from what he saw today.

I thought we played alright today..especially when we come out second half..well taken goal from hector. Bristol's both goals was silly little tap ins, That's our only fault today just could of delt with that better esepecially when we went 2-1 up! Wrighty got plenty of the ball first half..and there was nothing on the end of the crosses..but this new striker we will have soon could all be diffrent if we give wright plenty of the ball to land on this new player's noggin! Can't belive people are saying what a terrible result! Bloody hell lads..Top of the league..with 2 games in hand soon over our plastic friends behind us.

UTS..Bring on the posh. :lol:

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:01 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:Well..Quality game of football the second half, End to end stuff. Talking to some rovers fans on the way home..They said it was like a cup game with end to end stuff, He also said we are way up there and should have nothin to worry about from what he saw today.

I thought we played alright today..especially when we come out second half..well taken goal from hector. Bristol's both goals was silly little tap ins, That's our only fault today just could of delt with that better esepecially when we went 2-1 up! Wrighty got plenty of the ball first half..and there was nothing on the end of the crosses..but this new striker we will have soon could all be diffrent if we give wright plenty of the ball to land on this new player's noggin! Can't belive people are saying what a terrible result! Bloody hell lads..Top of the league..with 2 games in hand soon over our plastic friends behind us.

Without wishing to sound like a MW hater. In the first half when he got crosses in they were far too deep. You can not expect the strikers to anticipate the crosses going ten yards ahead of them and over shooting the six yard by a distance. As many have said before...He needs to look up before just giving it the old hit and hope

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:05 pm

dornansog wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:Well..Quality game of football the second half, End to end stuff. Talking to some rovers fans on the way home..They said it was like a cup game with end to end stuff, He also said we are way up there and should have nothin to worry about from what he saw today.

Without wishing to sound like a MW hater. In the first half when he got crosses in they were far too deep. You can not expect the strikers to anticipate the crosses going ten yards ahead of them and over shooting the six yard by a distance. As many have said before...He needs to look up before just giving it the old hit and hope

Yes i agree with ya there, My mistake never put that the crosses was good..they never got past the first man half the time. Hopefully money will work on this, I thought pead was superb today once again and dobbo was better than recent games!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:41 pm

I thought both teams did well today considering the conditions. BR had a game plan... Offside trap and hit us on the break, and they did it consistently well. We passed the ball quite well under the circumstances. Dann had another blinder, but roper wasn't his usual self. Pead did well as did Dobson IMHO. I thought Wright was far more involved and got into some great positions - pity the crosses were so awful most of the time. Fox... I wasn't impressed with, or Taylor for that matter. Ince didn't have too much to do - but that "back-pass" he caught was great. Butler and Sam did well, but were facing a really good defensive display from Brizzle.

The only major mistakes for me today were from DD. When dobson went off injured - he should have made a change IMHO. Then when we did manage to get in front again, more subs should have followed to break up play. BUT - can't fault much else he has done this season - so am happy to say it was a rare mistake.

UTS.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:46 pm

aldridge steve wrote:I thought both teams did well today considering the conditions. BR had a game plan... Offside trap and hit us on the break, and they did it consistently well. We passed the ball quite well under the circumstances. Dann had another blinder, but roper wasn't his usual self. Pead did well as did Dobson IMHO. I thought Wright was far more involved and got into some great positions - pity the crosses were so awful most of the time. Fox... I wasn't impressed with, or Taylor for that matter. Ince didn't have too much to do - but that "back-pass" he caught was great. Butler and Sam did well, but were facing a really good defensive display from Brizzle.

The only major mistakes for me today were from DD. When dobson went off injured - he should have made a change IMHO. Then when we did manage to get in front again, more subs should have followed to break up play. BUT - can't fault much else he has done this season - so am happy to say it was a rare mistake.

UTS.

Still when he come back on..It was funny..bandage round his head..sprinting to there player..then bang took him right out! :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:51 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:I thought both teams did well today considering the conditions. BR had a game plan... Offside trap and hit us on the break, and they did it consistently well. We passed the ball quite well under the circumstances. Dann had another blinder, but roper wasn't his usual self. Pead did well as did Dobson IMHO. I thought Wright was far more involved and got into some great positions - pity the crosses were so awful most of the time. Fox... I wasn't impressed with, or Taylor for that matter. Ince didn't have too much to do - but that "back-pass" he caught was great. Butler and Sam did well, but were facing a really good defensive display from Brizzle.

UTS.

Still when he come back on..It was funny..bandage round his head..sprinting to there player..then bang took him right out! :lol:

The bandage thing made me reminiss of A) Ada Viveash in his bandage and (even funnier) B) Zigor in his "pop-up" stlye bandage..... ah the memories :lol: :lol: :lol:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Lord_Byron_Gas wrote:I'm a Rovers fan I couldn't make the game today because I was working but I got in and saw you scored in 88th minute so I thought it was all over. Just checked our official site and it says we managed to score a late equaliser. Seemed like a cracking game and the result suits us more for obvious reasons.

When you came to us earlier in the season your defence was rock solid. We arguebly dominated the game but just couldn't get past you back four, and Ince aswell who was top quality, apart from his kicking.

I'm guessing both of our goals were from set-pieces as Elliott scored twice, as he is our centre back. So again your defence must have been playing well again today apart from the high balls?

Well played Warsaw and I'm sure you'll go on to win the league. Just keep the faith, that's what we've had to learn to do.

You have more faith in us than we do :D

Keep posting on UTS - we like your style :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:36 pm

For one of the few times in recent matches, I can't complain too much and I still don't know how we only got a point from that game.

The Gasheads only offered a threat from set pieces (and Martin Butler was superb in creating both their goals for them), whilst Phillips made 3 1 on 1 saves from Butler (2) and Sam with some good goalkeeping, whilst we messed up the final ball numerous times with Wright and Pead not taking advantage after good play.

The one complaint I do have is about Martin Butler... Its no point holding the ball up superbly, when he decides to have a "Tommy Wright-esque" day and give away a stream of constant needless free kicks. I had a go at Fox for it at Boston, so I have to do the same with Butler.

1st goal - Bloke is going nowhere, running after the ball to the touchline. Butler obviously thought it would be funny to see if he could shove him over the wall for no reason. Result = Goal

2nd goal - Bloke on the halfway line, actually facing his own goal, offering no threat. Butler decides to see if he wants to swap shirts, result, one long ball in the box and its 2-2.

I'm not directly blaming Butler as we failed to deal with either set piece, but those constant needless free kicks cost us 2 points today and I fully expect MK Dons to be top at 5pm on Monday. For a seasoned professional, he really should have known better on both occasions.

I'm not mentioning another abject performance from Fox, as he clearly isn't a left midfielder to me, today he constantly kept coming inside, which was infuriating when the flanks were the best places to play football.

2 points dropped, without doubt, but a decent performance that warranted 3 points.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:41 pm

UTS.

I think,for better,or worse, Fox and Taylor come as a package.Taylor didn't have a brilliant game,was kept occcupied by their right winger,ergo Fox had a poor game as well.I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that we played a decent team today-they'll probably make the play-offs on today's performance.
As regards individuals,I think the most welcome sight was Sam staying on his feet and using his strength, rather than going to ground at the slightest tap.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:42 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
dornansog wrote:

Very good point, The mark wright i love you for no reason association will sight this is singling him out, but it isnt, its a very clear fact that every time hje lost the ball, we were put under pressure.

Hmmm, so are you going to single out Ince, Westwood, Roper, Dann, Taylor, Dobson, Pead, Fox, Butler and Sam? As every time one of them loses the ball, we were put under pressure?

And when you've got an alternative attacking threat to put in the team, we can consider what to do with Wright. Until then, it'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Doesn't take a genius to realise that we've got about as much attacking threat down the left hand side as Saddam Hussein has fertile sperm at the moment... Therefore we can only play down the right or hump it down the pitch.

Its been no coincidence that we've struggled to score goals as Wright was out of form. He has picked up in the last two matches, and suddenly, we've had a bit more attacking threat in open play.

And don't even suggest Bedeau as a possible replacement... He is neither quick, direct, attacking or even half awake most of the time.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:44 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Very disappointing.

Id say we just edged it, but a draw was fair enough perhaps.

I thought Roper was poor, I thought Fox was awful, Wright is crap, and Butler gave away two fouls that lead to our conceeded goals. very naive.

I thought Sam was brilliant today, always looked for the ball, and looked dangerous. I thoguht Dobbo had another good game, missed him in that period he went off (they scored as well), I thought Pead didnt do much wrong, Dann is premiership class.

All in all, very disappointing, need a win at peterboro now.

Agree with every word, apart from the comment on Fox - I thought he played really well, as he has done for the last few weeks.
It's worth mentioning that I don't think I've ever seen a player supplied with the ball as regularly as Mark Wright was today. The thing was, I think he only beat his man once (in the second half) and he really did deliver some drivel. The Mark Wright sympathisers will say 'fair play to him for getting in the right positions to be supplied with the ball', but essentially, we were put under pressure we wouldn't have been under had the service been anywhere near adequate.

Sam did have his best game in a Walsall shirt - rarely wasted the ball, which is usually one of his main problems. Dann really was immense today, but I think in a game where he scored and got man of the match, he'll be disappointed that we didn't keep a clean sheet, and the manner in which the goals were conceded. Their second goal was simply down to a complete lack of concentration. I think the players thought they'd already got the 3 points in the bag.
It was strange that Money didn't use any substitutions today at all, bearing in mind the fixture schedule. The pitch was boggy for most of the game, which isn't easy to run on, so some fresh legs may have worked in our favour today.

Credit to Bristol Rovers. I thought they played some very tody stuff at times today. Makes a change from the long ball fest served up by most visiting teams. I do think the management of that club is a bit iffy though - their defence looked pretty dodgy at times, and yet they have a 300k striker sitting on the bench every week. If they spent that kind of money on their defence, they might find themselves finally escaping this division.

The result today felt like a defeat. If I'm honest, I'll take promotion in whatever form, whether that's first, second, third place, or playoff winners, but it's still disappointing to see our gap at the top of the league shrink. A win at Peterborough will put us back on track.

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:38 pm

Stu wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
dornansog wrote:

Hmmm, so are you going to single out Ince, Westwood, Roper, Dann, Taylor, Dobson, Pead, Fox, Butler and Sam? As every time one of them loses the ball, we were put under pressure?

And when you've got an alternative attacking threat to put in the team, we can consider what to do with Wright. Until then, it'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Doesn't take a genius to realise that we've got about as much attacking threat down the left hand side as Saddam Hussein has fertile sperm at the moment... Therefore we can only play down the right or hump it down the pitch.

Its been no coincidence that we've struggled to score goals as Wright was out of form. He has picked up in the last two matches, and suddenly, we've had a bit more attacking threat in open play.

And don't even suggest Bedeau as a possible replacement... He is neither quick, direct, attacking or even half awake most of the time.

There is no reason why Mark Wright cannot cross from deep.Instead he tried knocking the ball past the full back and chasing it.Result- Dispossesed or brushed aside. OR he tried to dribble round him by walking up to within a yard of him and trying to dazzle him with skill Result- :lol: Well you can imagine.

So I suggest he crosses it early and cuts out the full back entirely.There were plenty of chances for that today with men waiting in the box.

Like I said earlier I do not dislike MW I just wish he would could be more aware of whats around him.

By the way he laid a couple of balls back to Westy today who put in some dangerous balls.

So no I'm not suggesting Bedeau as a replacement I'm suggesting MW can do the job more effectively with some work on his game.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:00 pm

Id agree with that, I think MW undoubtedly has talent, its his application or lack of that does my head in. holding his shirt over his hands like a five year old, wimping out of challenges, ducking out of headers, giving up too easily, being unaware and slow to react - thats all stuff he could improve with effort and a bit of application. Unfortunately, like ive said before, football has just happened to him.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:02 pm

Have you not thought that he is instructed to beat his man and get to the byline?

After all, thats what a traditional winger is asked... He does cross from deep, very effectively sometimes, but often prefers to beat his man. Maybe he is under instructions?

And once again, folk completely ignore the left flank. Crosses don't come from the byline or the deep on the left, they don't come at all. That's a far bigger and more pressing issue.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:03 pm

is he instructed to wimp out of challenges and duck out of headers?

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season