Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury (H) League - Boxing Day

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:47 pm

Tommy Wrights tackle was atrocious. Hes got a bit of a reputation for that though. Silly boy.

Pead was my man of the match, not much of a fan of him when he plays right back but in the middle hes at his best. He was class yesterday, didnt waste a pass, injected a bit of pace into a team and soem creativity. Wright proved he is a proper winger, hes a complete tart, but when hes got some bollocks he can beat his man. Roper and dann and ince were top class yesterday. Butler ran his heart out, unlucky not to get a goal.

When pead came on, it proved that when we actually play football instead of hoofing the bleedin thing we can pull a team apart. If pead doesnt start in the middle on saturday, ill be amazed how stupid that is. Itll be interesting to see how the new signings doo when they can.

I still thought we were lucky for the goal, seen scott shearer a few times and yday proved he is crap.

It was great to hear the crowd singing, thats the loudest weve been for a while, i even stood up and sang for a bit :lol:

ALL in all. A humdinger and good entertainment, liked the the 3 "oohs" in a row, made me chuckle.

However Fox was my man of the match. he was just solid all the way through, put some great tackles in and played well on the left.

Its good to beat the welshies.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:49 pm

latviancheese wrote:Tommy Wrights tackle was atrocious. Hes got a bit of a reputation for that though. Silly boy.

Pead was my man of the match, not much of a fan of him when he plays right back but in the middle hes at his best. He was class yesterday, didnt waste a pass, injected a bit of pace into a team and soem creativity. Wright proved he is a proper winger, hes a complete tart, but when hes got some betties he can beat his man. Roper and dann and ince were top class yesterday. Butler ran his heart out, unlucky not to get a goal.

When pead came on, it proved that when we actually play football instead of hoofing the bleedin thing we can pull a team apart. If pead doesnt start in the middle on saturday, ill be amazed how stupid that is. Itll be interesting to see how the new signings doo when they can.

I still thought we were lucky for the goal, seen scott shearer a few times and yday proved he is crap.

It was great to hear the crowd singing, thats the loudest weve been for a while, i even stood up and sang for a bit :lol:

ALL in all. A humdinger and good entertainment, liked the the 3 "oohs" in a row, made me chuckle.

However Fox was my man of the match. he was just solid all the way through, put some great tackles in and played well on the left.

Aye that were brilliant, in fact I got it on video on my phone! Which I'll put on my site in due course

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:49 pm

You should have brought some facts into the thread when raising the topic of the 3000+ crowd at home to Macclesfield then, instead of using it as an incorrect point scoring exercise in mine & Sid's bet.

Re-joice in the fact that despite being in a poor run of form, poor in relation to the overall season, that we still had about 6500 Walsall fans turn out for a fixture. Instead of pointing out how it wasn't that impressive compared to a series of fixtures between 1991 and 1998.

For a league 2 fixture, 8350-odd was a great attendance and certainly about 500 more than I thought it'd be bearing in mind recent poor form.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:58 pm

latviancheese wrote:I still thought we were lucky for the goal, seen scott shearer a few times and yday proved he is crap.

Not questioning the keeper for the goal surely? That placement was as near perfect as you'll ever get... It started out going wide, curled in to absolute perfection before hitting the inside of the post. No keeper in the world would have got a hand on that, unless they were about 6ft 8.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:40 pm

Stu wrote:
latviancheese wrote:I still thought we were lucky for the goal, seen scott shearer a few times and yday proved he is crap.

Not questioning the keeper for the goal surely? That placement was as near perfect as you'll ever get... It started out going wide, curled in to absolute perfection before hitting the inside of the post. No keeper in the world would have got a hand on that, unless they were about 6ft 8.

Bertrand Bossu then, perhaps ? :)

Have to say I thought yesterday that it was a fluke - a cross. But having seen it again several times on Sky, I think he hit it so deliberately, with such pace, and clearly intended to curl it in towards the far post, that I actually believe that he intended it as a shot - hopeful maybe, but a shot nevertheless.

All credit to him, it looked a fine goal on TV.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:43 pm

No way, it was a cross. 100%.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:48 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:No way, it was a cross. 100%.

I agree. If I saw him looking up before crossing the ball normally, I might give him the benefit of the doubt. He always has his eyes fixed on the ball at his feet though so I'd say it was a cross. Having said that, it was a quality ball, so he deserves credit for that.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:05 pm

I agree with Geoff, and I agree with Daz, and everyone can imagine how crazy that must make me! :lol:

I think he hit it as a cross-cum-shot. If Butler gets on the end of it we've got a goal, if no one gets there, then it has a chance of going in directly. Either way, it was a cracking ball, and just what all Wright's detractors have been crying out for him to do. A bit of praise wouldn't go amiss from some.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:52 pm

Saddler4life and I am sure we heard a bit of noise from the txt oap stand, did they let some riff raff in by accident? :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:56 pm

Give the bloke a bit of credit... If he was going to put a cross in, he'd have gone around the outside and used his better foot... He cut in on his left and had shots a couple of times.

If it was cricket, then he'd have put the ball in the 'corridor of uncertainty' as Mr Boycott calls it... It was tempting enough to be a cross, but placed so perfectly that it'd have gone if nobody had got a touch.

In the end, it was such a great ball in that it was too good to be a cross as nobody could get to it...

Fully intended, and he had a blistering 2nd half. Funny how we looked at our most dangerous for 6 weeks when Wright returns to form.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:34 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

I agree.

Coming from his two biggest critics I take that with a pinch of salt. By your reckoning, any other time if it was an intentional cross it would have gone out of play behind the goal or not beaten the first man! I was late back from the bar at half time (no...honest) so watched through the window and was right behind it, it was a shot. It was also an excellent run from Kris Taylor to set it up. After the goal, Wright was far better than he had been for weeks, the confidence seemed to flow back. No coincidence it was the most attacking we'd been for a while. None at all.

An awful first half display and to be honest we needed to go a goal down or get someone sent off to spark some life into the team.

Everyone played better in the second half but the spark was provided by Pead for me. I don't know why people are so surprised by his performance, I've said for a couple of months he should be in the middle of midfield. He can't seem to do it for a full 90 as he runs out of puff but he's been introduced three times at half time and helped turn the game. Lincoln away, Wycombe? and yesterday. Right back, average. Midfield his preferred position, excellent.

Butler once again ran his socks off but the whole team was better in the second half and showed the fight we've lacked in recent games.

Still four points clear despite playing most of the game with 10 men. Another home win and I still expect us to beat Bristol Rovers and extend our lead by the end of the Peterborough match.

UTS.
Last edited by Magic Man Fan on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:35 pm

Pedro wrote:Walsall 1
Screws 0

8,145 people there

MOTM - Martin Butler :wink:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Imagine if you'd said 8,345. Clinton "Pedro" Baptiste.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:48 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I agree.

Coming from his two biggest critics I take that with a pinch of salt.

Why the defensive stance on Mark Wright then? We both said it was a cross - so what? The ball went over the line and we won 1-0. That's all that matters. I think you'll find that I praised Wright for playing that ball - it was quality.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:50 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I agree.

Why the defensive stance on Mark Wright then? We both said it was a cross - so what? The ball went over the line and we won 1-0. That's all that matters. I think you'll find that I praised Wright for playing that ball - it was quality.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:55 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I agree.

You both (and every other of his 5,000 critics say it was a cross.

It was a shot and he meant it. By saying it is a cross, you do him no credit as Stu says.

But as you say, I don't care how it went in, we win, the promotion bandwagon rolls on....and it's all due to Mark Wright...again.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:30 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I agree.

You both (and every other of his 5,000 critics say it was a cross.

It was a shot and he meant it. By saying it is a cross, you do him no credit as Stu says.

But as you say, I don't care how it went in, we win, the promotion bandwagon rolls on....and it's all due to Mark Wright...again.

Watch it again - as MMF says, it WAS a shot, he placed it very precisely, it's totally clear from his body language and from the way he struck the ball with so much bend and pace. 100% certain - IT WAS A SHOT.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:31 pm

The Wrightmeister is stil 4th in the Division Assist Table, despite his mean streak as of late.

All hail the Wright, he is back.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:42 pm

Stu wrote:The Wrightmeister is stil 4th in the Division Assist Table, despite his mean streak as of late.

All hail the Wright, he is back.

:wink: :P

One assist, one goal. 4 Festive points so far.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:29 pm

It was a cross.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:50 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:It was a cross.

You only dream of crossing like that, let alone shooting.

Either way you argue it, it was perfect.

It was either the perfect cross, in that it was curling, dangerous, beyond the keepers grasp and on target...

Or it was the perfect shot from distance.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:01 am

Has anyone ever throught perhaps he just tw***ed it towards goal cross come shot type thing. Why not it was either gonna be on target or hit someone and go in. I would say the goal was a fluke.

and yes i am questioning the goalkeeper, but i dow care really, it went in, and we beat em, so who cares.

I also found the loud cheer when bedeau went off rather amusing.
Last edited by latviancheese on Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:43 am

Stu wrote:For a league 2 fixture, 8350-odd was a great attendance and certainly about 500 more than I thought it'd be bearing in mind recent poor form.

Given that our much-publicised break-even target in our last season in the Championship was 8,000, playing against teams with (with all due respect) much bigger away followings than the Sloppies, this is a spectacular crowd, and every pound earned this season will go a long way towards clearing the accumulated debt of ITV Digital, relegation, mismanagement and general waste. IF we get promoted this year it'll look very good indeed.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:04 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:It was a cross.

Metfan - like you, I think that Mark Wright is a waste of space (but not as bad as Bedeau!) and I have been one of his regular critics but, in this instance, I would agree that it WAS a shot. Give the guy credit when it is due!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:18 am

Exile wrote:
Stu wrote:For a league 2 fixture, 8350-odd was a great attendance and certainly about 500 more than I thought it'd be bearing in mind recent poor form.

Given that our much-publicised break-even target in our last season in the Championship was 8,000, playing against teams with (with all due respect) much bigger away followings than the Sloppies, this is a spectacular crowd, and every pound earned this season will go a long way towards clearing the accumulated debt of ITV Digital, relegation, mismanagement and general waste. IF we get promoted this year it'll look very good indeed.

Especially when you consider Albion, Blues and Wolves are doing well in the Championship and a lot of Villa fans have returned now Ellis has finally gone.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:23 am

Watching the goal on central news last night , its hard to tell if it was a shot or a cross , who cares to be honest . I also think Wright was unlucky to be sent off a bit harsh imo.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:40 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Watching the goal on central news last night , its hard to tell if it was a shot or a cross , who cares to be honest . I also think Wright was unlucky to be sent off a bit harsh imo.

There's one thing that tells me it was a shot...he looked up before he hit it.

All of Mark Wrights critics will tell you he NEVER looks up before crossing.

Case closed.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:49 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:Watching the goal on central news last night , its hard to tell if it was a shot or a cross , who cares to be honest . I also think Wright was unlucky to be sent off a bit harsh imo.

Case closed.

Just had another look on Saddlers World , your right Mark he did look up .
What do you think of the sending off ?

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:50 am

latviancheese wrote:Tommy Wrights tackle was atrocious. Hes got a bit of a reputation for that though. Silly boy.

Pead was my man of the match, not much of a fan of him when he plays right back but in the middle hes at his best. He was class yesterday, didnt waste a pass, injected a bit of pace into a team and soem creativity. Wright proved he is a proper winger, hes a complete tart, but when hes got some betties he can beat his man. Roper and dann and ince were top class yesterday. Butler ran his heart out, unlucky not to get a goal.

Saw the Tommy Wright tackle on Championship on ITV and it didnt look as though he deserved a straight red card!

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:53 am

cal wfc fan wrote:

Saw the Tommy Wright tackle on Championship on ITV and it didnt look as though he deserved a straight red card!

my thoughts exactly Cal

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:08 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Case closed.

Just had another look on Saddlers World , your right Mark he did look up .
What do you think of the sending off ?

I've just mentioned that on the Tommy Wright thread on All about Walsall Dave.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season