Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury (H) League - Boxing Day

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:42 am

Great result , big win for us and a clean sheet. it was so important for us to get back to winning ways , all the teams around us won Wright sent off ,
could turn out to be the result of the season.
Can't wait till Saturday.

UP THE SADDLERS

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:43 am

Match Report.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ry-report/

Agree with most of the later comments, especially that Pead gave us ENERGY. Butler was quite, quite superb.

wolfchild

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:54 am

Gotta agree with most of the posts, we deserved to win and were much better in second half. Butler ran after everything and held the ball up well for a big lad! Pead was superb second half. Wolfchild Junior (4) and his 10 yr old cousin were literally jumping up and down all match and you just can't criticise enthusiasm like that. Great Result, Great atmosphere and the day was made for me when Junior asked me why the "Man in the black was idiot". :D

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:51 am

I am waiting for futuresobright's considered analysis. He must have been at the game surely?? :? :wink:

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:54 am

Ps - tremendous result and peformance by the 10 men AND the manager for his tactics and substitution for the second half. Even intoduced myself to Saddlersis before the game - and forgot to ask if she drove to Bescot for the first time??

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:33 pm

Mike T. wrote:I am waiting for futuresobright's considered analysis. He must have been at the game surely?? :? :wink:

He only appears when we drop points though. :?

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:41 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Mike T. wrote:I am waiting for futuresobright's considered analysis. He must have been at the game surely?? :? :wink:

Now, he appears when the total posts don't reach a similar level to the same match last season remember...

Talking of which, where is Sid... 8300 yesterday...

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:42 pm

Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Now, he appears when the total posts don't reach a similar level to the same match last season remember...

The extra 3000 were only there to protest about our lousy season though Stu. My, how they shouted! :lol:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:13 pm

I can't believe the criticsm that some people are handing out! This was a sensational victory in the context of things. 10 men for over an hour, and yet we never looked like conceding. This was the win of the season. Forget the victory over Wycombe, or the demolition of Peterborough - these performances win titles, and I agreed entirely with Dick Dosh, it was the most proud I've been of the players this season.

I thought Kris Taylor was excellent. He defended very well against Shrewsbury's best player on the day (Ben Davies), and was also impressive going forward. Totally agree that he was man of the match. He did superbly for the goal, whether it was a fluke from Wright or not.

One day Mark Wright might ACTUALLY get some credit from people. He's been played out of position in the last three games, and yet still has a goal and two assists from these three games. I ask you, how many goals have we scored in these three games? 'Nuff said. He was very impressive in the second half, and its great to see him playing with something like confidence again. Whether the goal was a fluke or not, at least he was putting a ball in to the right area.

Tony Bedeau is the idlest player on the park, yet again. He gives up too easy. He and Wright are very similar - both confidence players. Generally, if they don't beat their marker in the first 10 minutes, they don't want to know about taking him on again (Wright proved to be the exception to this yesterday). Bedeau isn't a winger, I don't care what anyone says. If we are going to see him in the team, it has to be as a striker - something which Dosh alluded to in his post match interview.

Martin Butler ran his socks off yet again, and his performance yesterday was worth a goal in itself, because he put the fear of God into the back four. If he keeps going on like this, it won't be long until he hits the net. But the great thing is, he is still contributing.

Roper was immense, whilst Scott Dann dealt with everything coming at him in the air. Westwood and Ince were also dominant. Pead must come into the central midfield on Saturday, particularly if Keates is lacking match fitness. It will allow Fox to move back to the left wing where he and Taylor are much more effective together, and Wright can go back on the right wing where he is most dangerous.

The Buck

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Match Report.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ry-report/

Agree with most of the later comments, especially that Pead gave us ENERGY. Butler was quite, quite superb.

I've said it before, but I think Martin Butler is the best signing Walsall have made in years.
My Man of the Match, my Player of the Season

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:17 pm

Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

yes i know stu...i was one of them...there were 7 of us went together...3 only went because it was boxing day...no other reason...and they were ready for the off at half-time... :D ...oh and there were 2,000 shrewsbury fans... :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:19 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

yes i know stu...i was one of them...there were 7 of us went together...3 only went because it was boxing day...no other reason...and they were ready for the off at half-time... :D ...oh and there were 2,000 shrewsbury fans... :wink:

About 1500 I would say!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:21 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!
Ok then steve...but i think we all had people with us that wont go up again this season...as i say i had 3 just in my party.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:23 pm

sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!
Ok then steve...but i think we all had people with us that wont go up again this season...as i say i had 3 just in my party.

Cant win can you? crap game and everyone wants to hang themselves. Fair enough.

Entertaining game and you still want to hang yourself, I know im only tender in my years but make your bloody minds up.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:26 pm

sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!

I don't think anyone who watched that second-half could fail to be impressed by our effort, commitment, sheer hard work and determination, and there was no shortage of skill to go with it as well.

That was probably up there with any of our best performances this season, and in the circumstances (Andy D'Urso) possibly the most satisfying of the lot. If that level of effort and excitement doesn't attract the fans back, then I just don't see what will.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:26 pm

The general crowd figures this season tend to show that MOST people are happy to keep coming - long may it continue!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:28 pm

just face it, with the facts spread out in front of them, the blind will still not see

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:29 pm

sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!

There are also plenty missing on Boxing Day, spending Xmas abroad, out for Boxing Day lunches (as I would normally have been in the past) etc, so some regulars wouldn't have been there, my co-director being one of them.
Last edited by geoffwhiting on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:30 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!

There are aso plenty missing on Boxing Day, spending Xmas abroad, out for Boxing Day lunches (as I would normally have been in the past) etc, so some regulars wouldn't have been there, my co-director being one of them.

My dad being another

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:35 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!

Entertaining game and you still want to hang yourself, I know im only tender in my years but make your bloody minds up.
Ive already said Gaz...credit where credit is due...the 2nd half was the best ive seen them play as far as entertainment value...the first half was like most performances ive seen this season...RUBBISH..so my advice to you Gaz is if you go onto a public forum i.e UTS and you dont like the fact that people have a different opinion to yours...I should just post on the less contraversial posts..like whats your favourite colour or what sort of car do like best... :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:36 pm

sid swifty wrote:yes i know stu...i was one of them...there were 7 of us went together...3 only went because it was boxing day...no other reason...and they were ready for the off at half-time... :D ...oh and there were 2,000 shrewsbury fans... :wink:

True, but yourself and Bernie were quick enough to point out the 'expected' poor attendance at home to Macclesfield... Add those two crowds together, the expected 'bad one' and expected 'good one' and its still over 5000.

The crowds are showing absolutely no signs of slipping below 5000, even despite a run of really lousy form.

Oh, and 1600 Shrews tops... Away end holds 1900, they had about 200 seats marked off with a F2G banner, and there were odd spare seats too.

We've now got the 2nd highest average crowd in League 2, 5,724... Better get that Charity donation prepared... :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 pm

sid swifty wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!

Ive already said Gaz...credit where credit is due...the 2nd half was the bestive seen them play as far as entertainment value...the first half was like most performances ive seen this season...RUBBISH..so my advice to you Gaz is if you go onto a public forum i.e UTS and you dont like the fact that people have a different opinion to yours...I should just post on the less contraversial posts..like whts your favourite colour or what sort of car do like best... :wink:

If noone disagreed with me, id be bored off my head! the first half was only rubbish when wright went off due to us being a ten man headless chicken, we have probably been entertaining for about 6 games worth of time this season but because some of it has been away not many get to see it.

by the way my favourite colour is blue or red and I like buses because I dont drive yet

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:43 pm

Stu wrote:
sid swifty wrote:yes i know stu...i was one of them...there were 7 of us went together...3 only went because it was boxing day...no other reason...and they were ready for the off at half-time... :D ...oh and there were 2,000 shrewsbury fans... :wink:

True, but yourself and Bernie were quick enough to point out the 'expected' poor attendance at home to Macclesfield... Add those two crowds together, the expected 'bad one' and expected 'good one' and its still over 5000.

The crowds are showing absolutely no signs of slipping below 5000, even despite a run of really lousy form.

Oh, and 1600 Shrews tops... Away end holds 1900, they had about 200 seats marked off with a F2G banner, and there were odd spare seats too.

We've now got the 2nd highest average crowd in League 2, 5,724... Better get that Charity donation prepared... :wink:

That's right Stu, must admit I'd forgotten that, so they must have brought about 1650/1675 or thereabouts - plus two in the Bonser Suite after the game that I inadvertently upset when they overheard me call their team "pathetic" and one or two of them (e.g. Hope) "animals" - you should have seen the look I got - I think they'd both been sucking very sour lemons. I got over it though ! :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:51 pm

sid swifty wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!

Ive already said Gaz...credit where credit is due...the 2nd half was the bestive seen them play as far as entertainment value...the first half was like most performances ive seen this season...RUBBISH..so my advice to you Gaz is if you go onto a public forum i.e UTS and you dont like the fact that people have a different opinion to yours...I should just post on the less contraversial posts..like whts your favourite colour or what sort of car do like best... :wink:

If noone disagreed with me, id be bored off my head! the first half was only rubbish when wright went off due to us being a ten man headless chicken, we have probably been entertaining for about 6 games worth of time this season but because some of it has been away not many get to see it.

by the way my favourite colour is blue or red and I like buses because I dont drive yet

More importantly - this is a true headless chicken story :lol: http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.html

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:54 pm

sid swifty wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

About 1500 I would say!

:D mine is pink...and my fav car is a bubble car... :D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:56 pm

Stu wrote:

... :D dont worry Stu...i'm a man of my word... :wink:

Greg WP

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:03 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:Just to add another positive note, should another 6000+ gate descend on Bescot on Saturday it will be the first time since 1961 that we have achieved that for 3 successive home games in the League's bottom division.

Although futuresobright will probably claim the increasing numbers are really only there to protest at the terrible season we're having ! :lol:

As we have spent most of that time a division higher with only the Hibbit era applicable, its no surprise really. A nice bit of spin howvever and I agree with the sentiment.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:24 pm

I thought it was good entertainment yesterday - especially in the second half. It is a credit to DD that the team showed real commitment and effort when they went a man down. I am not a fan of Craig Pead, but he certainly made a difference when he came on.

Boxing day is usually a day for a big gate - Taking the gate figures from Tony Matthews and Geoff Allman's book (so the data is only up to 1999 - but I cannot easily find the gates for the matches this century) when we have a home match on Boxing day our gate is generally well above the season average:
1998 v Wycombe Wanderers 6258 Season average: 5458
1997 v Bristol Rovers 6634 average 4062
1994 v Barnet 5392 average 4071
1993 v Mansfield 6248 average 4233
1991 v Scarborough 4675 average 3367

Boxing Day totals: 29207. Season Average Totals: 21191. Increase on average gate: 8016. As a percentage 8016/21191 x 100 = 37.8% increase.

That means that over the five seasons in Tony Matthews and Geoff Allman's book when we played the first match after Christmas at home the gate we got was 37.8 % above the average for the season.

This season our average gate up to now is: 5725. With the average increase of attendance on Boxing Day in the 1990s that would take our expected attendance yesterday to 7889. The 8315 is therefore 426 higher than we would have expected if we had the same boost in attendance we achieved in an average season during the 1990s. How much of the 426 is caused by the Shrewsbury following being rather higher than that of Scarborough, Mansfield, Barnet, Bristol or Wycombe is a matter of conjecture.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Jesus wept, we attract a near 8500 crowd after 3 of the most abject seasons in recent times, we've got the 2nd highest average crowd in the division, an average crowd that appears to be going up and getting better... Yet we've still got to find a reason to knock it.

I give up... Give me 3314 against Macclesfield on a Tuesday night eh.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:42 pm

Stu wrote:Jesus wept, we attract a near 8500 crowd after 3 of the most abject seasons in recent times, we've got the 2nd highest average crowd in the division, an average crowd that appears to be going up and getting better... Yet we've still got to find a reason to knock it.

I give up... Give me 3314 against Macclesfield on a Tuesday night eh.

I do not see how anyone could say that my post was knocking anything or anyone. I said that the match was good entertainment, and praised DD and Craig Pead.

Giving some data about the usual increase in gates on Boxing Day is not knocking. It is just bringing some facts into the thread.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season