Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Boston United (A) League - Saturday 23/12/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:20 pm

ok, ok.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:20 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:You honestly think Bedeau had a "good" performance?
I honestly thought he was useless, what did he actually do today?
He is a POOR quality winger, who has lost the plot.
He does not take people on, he does not create anything, and his positioning for a winger is nothing less than USELESS.
Far too many times today he should have been 10 yards further forward then he was, and when he did get it, he passed backwards rather than turn and do anything with the ball.
ISHY IN!
BEDEAU OUT!

Funnily enough i can think of another winger like that sheff!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:24 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:You honestly think Bedeau had a "good" performance?
I honestly thought he was useless, what did he actually do today?
He is a POOR quality winger, who has lost the plot.
He does not take people on, he does not create anything, and his positioning for a winger is nothing less than USELESS.
Far too many times today he should have been 10 yards further forward then he was, and when he did get it, he passed backwards rather than turn and do anything with the ball.
ISHY IN!
BEDEAU OUT!

Funnily enough i can think of another winger like that sheff!

except this winger is the only one you like to pick up on, thus not giving the balanced opinion that all admins should have

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:25 pm

And where is that rule ?

:idea:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:26 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:And where is that rule ?

:idea:

unbiased admin 101 by Dr Who

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:30 pm

I faill to see the bias still.....

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:32 pm

Wright = kack

Bedeau = good

when really at the minute theyre just as cack as each other, oh yeah dont bother with any Yawn crap, im off for a dump then im watching MOTD and Jaws

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 pm

MOTD and Jaws... Just what I'll be doing, except I've got a slice of pizza and a bottle of cheap wine.

Jaws = Quality TV.

Oh, and Wright to the rescue again... A stinking performance with another assist for a goal thrown in... How can you drop the man? :P

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:36 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:Wright = kack

Bedeau = good

when really at the minute theyre just as cack as each other, oh yeah dont bother with any Yawn crap, im off for a dump then im watching MOTD and Jaws

Cant believe someone is doing exactly the same as me! :lol:
Oh and a few vodka, lime and lemonades to finish the day off!
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
MINT

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:02 pm

Great, the image of Sheff and Gary both having a dump.

Just what I want to picture... At least your not dumping together...

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:07 pm

jnks wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:On another note...when does the drummer sit his Grade One exam?

I was stood right next to the drummer in the first half, top lad, fair play, he did love that drum! Didn't find it annoying at all to be honest, but had to laugh at the guys next to me who told the lad to go to the back of the stand because the accoustics were better back there! :D

:shock: That would have been us then jnks. The acoustics would have been better at the back of the stand but 'Kev' (the lad who had the drum) thought differently. :D

This was how I saw it;

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:17 pm

Stu has a point [might be off another thread], we haven't scored a goal from open play in December. Quite worrying.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:37 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Stu has a point [might be off another thread], we haven't scored a goal from open play in December. Quite worrying.

Boston - Corner
Wrexham - Corner
Swindon - No goal
Bury - Corner & Open Play (I think?)
Notts Cty - Can't remember
Hereford - Corner
Torquay - Can't remember

We've scored 8 goals in the last 9 matches... To make it worse, we've actually conceded 7... Thats the point a few of us made when we're were keeping clean sheets but not scoring, that at some point, we'd start leaking goals.

We've now gone 6 matches without keeping a clean sheet too.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:40 pm

Ince - nothing to do
Westwood - looked happier in central defence after Gerrard went off
Gerrard - pretty sound, typical Gerrard performance
Dann - probably his worst display since breaking into the team; missed having Roper alongside him
Taylor - rarely tested, did not contribute much to our attacking
M.Wright - members of MWAS should be made to watch a continuous video loop of this performance until they finally admit that they are wrong, wrong, wrong! How this pitiful excuse for a player earns (?) a living from professional football, I will never know.
Dobson - totally anonymous, contributed nothing other than misplaced passes
Fox - will battle and scrap and doesn't hide but as for being a midfield player, he couldn't pass water!
Bedeau - achieved the almost impossible - he was even worse than M.Wright!
T.Wright - worked hard at pressing the opposition and took his goal well but I have yet to be convinced
Sam - absolute and utter garbage!
Demontagnac - we actually looked like an attacking force when he came on after 50 minutes. DD has got to overcome his misgivings about Ishy until the transfer window, at least.
Pead - did o.k. when he came on at right back

A dreadful match between two poor teams. We will not hold on to top spot for much longer with any more performances like this. There is no semblance of constructive football, just big boot aimlessly punted downfield. Roper and Butler will presumably return and Ishy must start. It will then be a case of scrapping for what we can get until after January 1st when DD can bring in constructive midfield players and our new Swedish superstar! :)

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:45 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Ince - nothing to do
Westwood - looked happier in central defence after Gerrard went off
Gerrard - pretty sound, typical Gerrard performance
Dann - probably his worst display since breaking into the team; missed having Roper alongside him
Taylor - rarely tested, did not contribute much to our attacking
M.Wright - members of MWAS should be made to watch a continuous video loop of this performance until they finally admit that they are wrong, wrong, wrong! How this pitiful excuse for a player earns (?) a living from professional football, I will never know.
Dobson - totally anonymous, contributed nothing other than misplaced passesFox - will battle and scrap and doesn't hide but as for being a midfield player, he couldn't pass water!
Bedeau - achieved the almost impossible - he was even worse than M.Wright!
T.Wright - worked hard at pressing the opposition and took his goal well but I have yet to be convinced
Sam - absolute and utter garbage!
Demontagnac - we actually looked like an attacking force when he came on after 50 minutes. DD has got to overcome his misgivings about Ishy until the transfer window, at least.
Pead - did o.k. when he came on at right back

A dreadful match between two poor teams. We will not hold on to top spot for much longer with any more performances like this. There is no semblance of constructive football, just big boot aimlessly punted downfield. Roper and Butler will presumably return and Ishy must start. It will then be a case of scrapping for what we can get until after January 1st when DD can bring in constructive midfield players and our new Swedish superstar! :)

That must be the biggest load of absolute rubbish I have read on this board for a long long time.
Did you actually go to the match?
You know something, I am actually speechless, Leamore.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:10 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:Dobson - totally anonymous, contributed nothing other than misplaced passes

That must be the biggest load of absolute rubbish I have read on this board for a long long time.

I didn't know that I could achieve the impossible, Sheff! :D

To answer your question - yes, of course, I was there (standing between Aldridge Steve and Stafflers). I don't pass comments on players' performances in matches that I have not seen. Furthermore, I stand by my opinion of Dobson. He has been a major disappointment, this season, not just this match. I think it was 25 minutes before I noticed Dobson was playing! The only thing that I will say in his (and all our other midfield players') defence is that the distribution of our back four players is consistently poor, frequently bypassing the midfield with "big boot" clearances. However, that does not negate my criticism of Dobson. My reaction when I read your original posting (aimed at Dave Roe) was exactly the same as you reaction to mine - "Were you actually at the game?" or were you being ironic? I was flabbergasted when I realised that you actually meant what you said! I think that you will find that you are are in a very small minority with your almost Lampard-esque love affair with Dobson. The guy played well in flashes in his early games for us but he has been a total nonentity recently. Then again, what should we expect from a free transfer from Brentford? :twisted:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:15 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:Dobson - totally anonymous, contributed nothing other than misplaced passes

I didn't know that I could achieve the impossible, Sheff! :D

To answer your question - yes, of course, I was there (standing between Aldridge Steve and Stafflers). I don't pass comments on players' performances in matches that I have not seen. Furthermore, I stand by my opinion of Dobson. He has been a major disappointment, this season, not just this match. I think it was 25 minutes before I noticed Dobson was playing! The only thing that I will say in his (and all our other midfield players') defence is that the distribution of our back four players is consistently poor, frequently bypassing the midfield with "big boot" clearances. However, that does not negate my criticism of Dobson. My reaction when I read your original posting (aimed at Dave Roe) was exactly the same as you reaction to mine - "Were you actually at the game?" or were you being ironic? I was flabbergasted when I realised that you actually meant what you said! I think that you will find that you are are in a very small minority with your almost Lampard-esque love affair with Dobson. The guy played well in flashes in his early games for us but he has been a total nonentity recently. Then again, what should we expect from a free transfer from Brentford? :twisted:

A free transfer, who also happened to have fallen out with the manager and was Brentfords captain wasnt he?

I would like to bet you whatever you want that Dobson made more tackles(bar the back 4) and passes than any Walsall player on the pitch today.

Would love to have the stats and prove how RIGHT I am.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:18 am

Stu wrote:Oh, and Wright to the rescue again... A stinking performance with another assist for a goal thrown in... How can you drop the man? :P

I'd like to see a break down of Wright's assists so far this season. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most of his assists have come from corners. Well, when you take a corner, you are allowed to cross a ball unchallenged into a penalty area containing the likes of Roper, Dann, Gerrard and Butler - you're going to get the odd assist here and there aren't you? I think it's time people realised we're not good enough to be carrying a player every week. Didn't go to Boston, but at Wrexham we might as well have been playing with 10 men.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:22 am

My comment was tongue-in-cheek Rob... However, being neither a MWAS or Anti-MWAS member, I would say that I think most of Wrights assists are from crosses in open play...

Leamore, must admit, I thought Dobson had an average game, a 6/10 performance... Definitely nowhere near the game you seemed to think he had.

Dave's comment sums up his view to me... He criticises Dobson for making a 30 yard pass that goes out of play (although he doesn't mention the 6/7 that were perfect 30 yard passess) and then criticisms him for making a 3 yard pass next time to Dann instead... He can't win either way. What do you want him to do Dave?

Dobson broke the game up well, made a lot of tackles whilst Fox was giving the ball away, missing tackles and giving away countless tackles... Come back Keates, all is forgiven, in fact, come back Gary Porter, all is forgiven...

I'm putting this in all small letters, we may be 2 pts clear, but I really hope Dicky has a re-think of his tactics for next season, otherwise I'd see us coming straight back down.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:45 am

I felt Dobson had a good game today - always grafting, looking to break up their play and to create things for us. He was hampered by being the only one doing this. I am increasingly disappointed by Fox' contribution to the team. He is the most singularly left-footed player we've had since Shakespeare ( that's Craig, not William, for those of more tender years) and though he's out of position in midfield he just doesn't do enough throughout the course of 90 minutes.

redalways

DD's team selections

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:14 am

DD seems the opposite to Merson, keeping to the same group of players every match. some of them clearly need to be rested and be given a reminder that there are other options. Is there anyone who can not name at least nine of the starters for the next game, excluding those injured or suspended. Opposition managers will also know exactly who will be playing and the way that they play.

To be fair, we are missing Keates's energy, but we have had little wide for months. Bedeau is becoming a regular, which is surprising given that he has done nothing all season. The refusal to play Ish makes no sense at all given recent team performances.

Fox and Taylor are out of position, which is obvious to everyone but DD. Its also obvious that we lack a midfield captain who can drive the other players. Dobson is a bigger disappointment than Sam and Bedeau. He was the one to be that midfield inspiration and driving force.

Cederquist isn't going to score unless someone puts the ball in the box and that is not going to happen with the players we are are selecting now.

It might well be that the honeymoon period is over for DD. A couple of months without a decent performance is more the enough to raise many a doubt.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:21 am

Stu wrote:Boston - Corner
Wrexham - Corner
Swindon - No goal
Bury - Corner & Open Play (I think?)
Notts Cty - Can't remember
Hereford - Corner
Torquay - Can't remember

We've scored 8 goals in the last 9 matches... To make it worse, we've actually conceded 7... Thats the point a few of us made when we're were keeping clean sheets but not scoring, that at some point, we'd start leaking goals.

We've now gone 6 matches without keeping a clean sheet too.

You are right to raise the issue.
Bury 1st goal Roper from a corner. Second goal was a Hector Sam header from a corner.
Notts County: first goal was made by Kinsella from open play - M Wright scored. Second goal was the Keates "fluke" free kick.
Torquay - Roper from a corner.
MK Dons - no goals.
Macclesfield FA cup (2 games) - no goals

As far as I can remember we have only scored one goal from open play in our last ten matches. Is this a record? It is now seven games without a clean sheet if you include the second Macclesfield cup game.

On the positive side it makes a welcome change to be scoring goals from re-starts. For many years we were hopeless at corners and free-kicks.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:39 am

Bernie wrote:As far as I can remember we have only scored one goal from open play in our last ten matches. Is this a record? It is now seven games without a clean sheet if you include the second Macclesfield cup game.

Cheers for those Bernie, I knew someone would do it...

So it begs the question, what happened 10 games that suddenly saw us change what we were doing?

Personally, I think its Mark Wright's loss of form. Although Butler's goals drying up haven't helped, as his tended to come from open play, through wingers getting crosses into the box or hitting the touchline and pulling it back, which on the whole was through Wright being in form.

Wright over the last 10 matches has lost his form big style, is it purely coincidence that our goals in open play have now dried up?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:56 am

Willy-Nilly wrote:
jnks wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:On another note...when does the drummer sit his Grade One exam?

I was stood right next to the drummer in the first half, top lad, fair play, he did love that drum! Didn't find it annoying at all to be honest, but had to laugh at the guys next to me who told the lad to go to the back of the stand because the accoustics were better back there! :D

:shock: That would have been us then jnks. The acoustics would have been better at the back of the stand but 'Kev' (the lad who had the drum) thought differently. :D

This was how I saw it;

Is that the kid that does a funny dance when we score at home, in the F2G lower. I think hes retarded- not in a joking way.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:03 am

latviancheese wrote:
Willy-Nilly wrote:
jnks wrote:

This was how I saw it;

Is that the kid that does a funny dance when we score at home, in the F2G lower. I think hes retarded- not in a joking way.

looks like him from the back, have seen him at a few away games. I'm glad I missed todays game.It appears to have been crap and I hate drums :twisted:

jnks

Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:53 am

Willy-Nilly wrote: :shock: That would have been us then jnks. The acoustics would have been better at the back of the stand but 'Kev' (the lad who had the drum) thought differently. :D

Yeah I was the lad in the light blue Lonsdale hoodie to the left of there, good banter throughout from you boys! Especially before the game - "Clayt....he's over there!" After he'd booted the ball to the opposite side of the pitch that he was aiming at! Superb! You won't get a goalkeeper asking a fan for a chip during the warm-up at a Premiership match either!

Just gotta say - how can Metfan defend Bedeua?!!! I don't think his failings need documenting any further than to look at the comments of those who were at the game, my favourite being when he finally made a run up the right wing late on, and you thought he was actually gonna redeem himself, only to see him fall over once he got to the corner. Useless.

Maybe you could point out what he brings to the team Metfan? Or at least what he brought to the team yesterday?! Mark Wright improved as the game went on, Bedeau actually seemed to get slower and less interested. I don't like to see fans slating their own players but he thoroughlly deserved it, he just wasn't good enough.

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:37 am

Stop stressing about the drummer! I spy Dynamo eating a pie :lol: :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:54 am

A lot different views reading through this match thread , Dobson was good , Dobson was rubbish , we deserved a point , we did'nt deserve a point.
To be honest i'm always pleased with an away point , we have 2 home games to get back on track its vital we take all 6 points .

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:59 am

I am defending him because some people see one or two mistakes and indeed villify him, how about some of his runs and carries with the ball ?? or good crosses he put in? Thats what people fail to see. EXACTLY the same with Dobson, both not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but if you can name me a better performer bar Westwood then go right ahead.....

jnks

Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:19 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I am defending him because some people see one or two mistakes and indeed villify him, how about some of his runs and carries with the ball ?? or good crosses he put in? Thats what people fail to see. EXACTLY the same with Dobson, both not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but if you can name me a better performer bar Westwood then go right ahead.....

It's not just one or two mistakes though is it? It's three, four or five mistakes, bad positioning, complete lack of pace, failure to go in for any challenge, but even those could be overlooked if it weren't for his complete lack of commitment.

I've no doubt that he's got the ability to be a good player, DD wouldn't have signed him otherwise, but that's what makes his performance yesterday so worthy of criticism, because he just wasn't trying at the end.

I'm not saying that he was the only one, but to suggest that he was above criticism is ridiculous.

Kris Taylor had a better game than Bedeau. Even Tommy Wright did a better job, in that he was in the right place at the right time and I don't think he had a particularly good game, but he'd at least have been missed. Can you say the same about Bedeau?!

Like I say, I don't want to make him a scapegoat for what was a poor team performance, but he, along with a number of other players, just was not good enough yesterday.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season