Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Boston United (A) League - Saturday 23/12/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:01 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Think it'll be another toughy and might just scrape a win by the odd goal. Odds are more on a draw I'd say though, 0-0 or 1-1 with Tommy Wright to score.

"Ahhhhh, smug mode!!!" (Kryten, Red Dwarf series 5 'Psirens')

That said, a bit disappointed to only get a point again but hopefully 7 points from next 3 games as someone said earlier will put us reet (as they say up by me!)

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:29 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Didnt go, but listened, really didn't sound like we did enough to deserve to win so I'm disappointed. We're creating so little chances I'm getting very worried. I said last week we should be peppering the opposition goal with attempts.

I think Ishy has got to start against Salop, we've got to start making stuff happen in midfield.
got to agree with everything you have to say there philthesaddler, listening to it every week it sounds like we are bottom of the league.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:44 pm

I do think that 7 points from the next 3 games are a big ask. Shrewsbury will be up for this one, despite [and perhaps because of] their home defeat last night. Bristol Rovers, although with continuing mixed results, are improving and have a decent strike partnership at the moment with Walker/Nicholson [they shared 4 goals today]. Peterborough will not be easy either.

If we do not get the 7 points, but we return say 4/5, is that then failure? Chances are we will still be top, probably by 2 or 3 points even with only a 4 or 5 point return from the next 3. Although I take on board what Phil and others are saying, we could be creating pressure on the players that is just completely unnecessary. Sure, we are short in certain areas, we all know that, but any club in this league would swop with us right now. All other clubs have injuries, suspension etc. Swindon today seem to have lost their central midfield pairing to injury. The point is we are picking up points still, even though we are more often than not singularly unimpressive.

A win against Salop is important, and I would be disappointed if we do not get it, but would it really be a disaster if we didn't? I would take a win and two draws from the next three. I would not see that as failure.

UTS

jnks

Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:08 pm

Just got back from the game, we didn't create enough and were lucky to come away with a draw because they missed two great chances, one in each half, the second one looked an absolute sitter when their lad inexplicably headed wide.

Having said that, I was impressed with the reaction to going behind, we pushed forwards and we looked dangerous everytime we got a corner. Too many bad performances again today though, most notably Bedeau who was worse than useless, wouldn't go in for a challenge, fell over several times and just didn't look interested.

Hope Gerrard's injury isn't too serious, looked nasty, he played well, Dann looked dodgy at times.

Overall we've got to be happy with a draw away from home, but I really think we need a win now on Boxing Day to stop the rot, as the point gap is disappearing quickly.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:24 pm

Think that must show that there isn't that much between teams in this division because Boston didn't look like a team that's only just edged out of the bottom 2 & we didnt look leaders. Overall I think we were a bit lucky to get a point as they had a couple of absolute gilt edged chances that they should have absolutely buried. Thought we were completely mediocre in the first half but improved in the second. Thought the introduction of Ishmel added something that was missing previously in the game. His determination won us the corner from which we equalised & he also got in an excellent cross shortly afterwards. Wish we would have tried to play more balls on the ground from midfield after we scored. Was very disappointed in Dobson who seemed to keep punting the ball forward in the air. Agree with report about Westwood ...thought he had an excellent game.
Perhaps DD should tell the team we are a goal down when we start a game & we will play at a higher tempo from the start.

On another note...when does the drummer sit his Grade One exam?
Last edited by hullsaddler on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnks

Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:27 pm

hullsaddler wrote:On another note...when does the drummer sit his Grade One exam?

I was stood right next to the drummer in the first half, top lad, fair play, he did love that drum! Didn't find it annoying at all to be honest, but had to laugh at the guys next to me who told the lad to go to the back of the stand because the accoustics were better back there! :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:43 pm

Just got back, I shall linger a bit more on the game before i post more. But good games from Westwood, Bedeau, Dobson and Sam today i thought.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:16 pm

Awful in the first half - a bit better in the second. Not a great game. Not much to shout about, and I hope Gerrard is OK - but it looked very serious. Nice friendly locals, wonderful fish & chips from the Eagle fish & chip shop.

Drummer either needs lesson - or to lose the drum - preferably the latter!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:16 pm

Quick match report
1st half - Brother gave me half his Chicken & Mushroom pie, he didn't like it, I thought it was alright though... Boston miss a back post sitter, and spent 5 minutes trying to work out what the purple and green flag on the roof of the right hand stand was.

2nd half - Talking to the brother about what to get his missus for Xmas, talked about a bit of speedway with the old man. Went for a slash... Watched Boston miss a sitter, score and then us score.

Absolutely awful performance. Lethargic, no pace, no energy and no creativity at all... We had 2 chances, one was the goal off a set piece and the other was Wright's miss also the result of a set piece.

Westwood was MOTM, by a country mile... Dobson, Bedeau were alright. The others were poor, except Fox who was the biggest steaming pile of poo-poo that I've seen this season. If Fox is a central midfielder, then Lisa Dingle is a size 8 with 36c tits.

Extremely worried that DD said it was an "excellent" performance, I'm hoping/assuming/praying its because he doesn't want to add to what appears to already be a low confidence in the team.

Can't see where out next goal open play is coming from to be honest.

Phil_G

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:24 pm

Stu wrote: talked about a bit of speedway with the old man.

What do you think of Crump going to Poole?
Will you be going to the Brummies nest season?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Stu wrote:Westwood was MOTM, by a country mile... Dobson, Bedeau were alright. The others were poor, except Fox who was the biggest steaming pile of poo-poo that I've seen this season. If Fox is a central midfielder, then Lisa Dingle is a size 8 with 36c fools.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"fools"...I love it!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:32 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I do think that 7 points from the next 3 games are a big ask.

If we do not get the 7 points, but we return say 4/5, is that then failure? Chances are we will still be top, probably by 2 or 3 points even with only a 4 or 5 point return from the next 3. Although I take on board what Phil and others are saying, we could be creating pressure on the players that is just completely unnecessary.

Although I said earlier that 7 points would be nice, I do agree that 4/5 would be a good return from the games ahead and certainly not failure. Game I'd like to win most is Shrewsbury (obviously! :roll: ) and think that Peterborough away will be a tricky one to call as they seem to be so inconsistent.

Roll on Boxing Day! UTS :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:50 pm

Phil_G wrote:
Stu wrote: talked about a bit of speedway with the old man.

What do you think of Crump going to Poole?
Will you be going to the Brummies nest season?

I think it gives Poole a far too heavy top end look to that team with Crump and Pedersen... Think they'll suffer as they'll be weak down the bottom end, unless Matt Ford pulls a corker out of the hat with a reserve. And in fairness, Ford doesn't get it often that wrong I don't think.

And as for the Brummies, I'll be up there as often as time/journey permits... Its been a long long wait since The Wheels, waiting for a return, so both the old man and I are very much looking forward to it. If one of Ostergaard/Sanchez can make a step up, and/or Werner performs (as I think he is far better than his sub 6pt average), then who knows...

Take it you will be as well?

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:13 pm

Summed it up perfectly Stu.

What utter garbage.

PS was that your good self with the beard type thingy standing with Sheff in the club house. If so, good to meet you.

What utter garbage

Phil_G

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:14 pm

Yep,

I went to Birmingham in the early 70's with my dad but was too young to remember much apart from Arthur Browning.
I have to admit that during the 80's I was always a W****s fan.
Followed Nielsen from Wolves to Brum in 80(?) and stayed with them until they moved to Wheels.

I'll definitely have a look when they start.

A mate at work is a dyed in the wool Heathen and reckons they have a couple of likely locations and is getting quite excited about it.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:20 pm

Cannock wrote:Summed it up perfectly Stu.

What utter garbage.

PS was that your good self with the beard type thingy standing with Sheff in the club house. If so, good to meet you.

What utter garbage

Beard type thing? Better than unshaven and scruffy I spose...

And yes, it was me... I thought I'd introduced myself before, maybe not...

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:22 pm

Phil_G wrote:Yep,

I went to Birmingham in the early 70's with my dad but was too young to remember much apart from Arthur Browning.
I have to admit that during the 80's I was always a W****s fan.
Followed Nielsen from Wolves to Brum in 80(?) and stayed with them until they moved to Wheels.

I'll definitely have a look when they start.

A mate at work is a dyed in the wool Heathen and reckons they have a couple of likely locations and is getting quite excited about it.

I did have a few seasons watching the Wolves, namely the 96 double winning season, I think it was... Did a fair few away matches that year... But I've always been waiting for the Brummies to return, this was the last chance for us so glad its come off.

It'd be great to see Cradley back to be honest, a crying shame that we lost both the Brummies and Cradley... To see them both back in the Premier would be great.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:25 pm

What a load of CARBAGE!
Bedeau should not wear a Walsall jersey again, your a winger mate, learn to take on a player, oh and your positioning when you havent got the ball is nothing less than USELESS! Ishy must start next match, at least he runs at full backs and takes them on, and wins corners as well!
Dobson was my man of match, what you think Mr Roe? :D
And has for USELESS Fox, listen mate, when we are on top and putting pressure on the the opposition, learn NOT to give away STUPID free kicks and stop our momentum! PR !CK, you did this on at least 4 occasions during the last 20 minutes.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:25 pm

Thought Fox, Bedeau & Dobson were all basically awful. I can take a player playing bad but I can't stand a player not giving a fudge. Bedeau just didn't give a monkeys today. An utter disgrace.

I thought M. Wright improved has the game went on, and what a corner for the goal. Asbo coming on changed the game as he hugged the touchline a lot more than Bedeau and therefore stretched their defence. If he doesn't start on Boxing Day then DD needs his head looking at.

The funniest part of the day was seeing Sheff bellow his thoughts to Bedeau right at the end when he tripped and fell over like a fairy. I thought Sheff was going to burst a blood vessel :lol:

We need to put in a performance sometime soon. When was the last time we turned in a performance for more than a few minutes ?

Yet again it becomes crystal clear that we need one or two quality central midfielders. It won't be long before Dobbin is needed bac at Blackpool beach so we need a replacement lined up.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:28 pm

Posted at the same time Sheff, you can see my thoughts. You must be on a wind up to say he was MOTM ? What about that wonderful 30 yard ball he played near the end ? The one that sailed majestically into the corner ? Two minutes later he had the ball and turned and passed it 3 feet to (?) Dann, at least he's realised his limitations.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:34 pm

Dave, your critiscism of dobson is unbelievable.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:36 pm

And you two are letting one or two moments mar a good performance from Bedeau.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:39 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:And you two are letting one or two moments mar a good performance from Bedeau.

:shock:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:39 pm

Answer the comment about Dobson and Bedeau then! :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:13 pm

...............................................................................<Yawn>

oh, i must have fell to sleep? any comments yet tinned ??

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:14 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:...............................................................................<Yawn>

Busy in California Daz?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:16 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:...............................................................................<Yawn>

Busy in California Daz?

soon i will be ;)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:18 pm

Just for reference like

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:19 pm

see where it says 'La Jolla' in the Bay area ? Thats where my friend.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:19 pm

You honestly think Bedeau had a "good" performance?
I honestly thought he was useless, what did he actually do today?
He is a POOR quality winger, who has lost the plot.
He does not take people on, he does not create anything, and his positioning for a winger is nothing less than USELESS.
Far too many times today he should have been 10 yards further forward then he was, and when he did get it, he passed backwards rather than turn and do anything with the ball.
ISHY IN!
BEDEAU OUT!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season