Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Boston United (A) League - Saturday 23/12/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
ADONIS

Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:49 am

Look at you all chattng away about parks players as if it's of some importance. Your pathetic team is on the decline, thats for sure. Can't even beat Boston ha ha.

I personally can't wait to see you sliding down the table into the middle of nowhere, because face it, thats where you are heading.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:03 am

Stu wrote:So it begs the question, what happened 10 games that suddenly saw us change what we were doing?

Personally, I think its Mark Wright's loss of form. Although Butler's goals drying up haven't helped, as his tended to come from open play, through wingers getting crosses into the box or hitting the touchline and pulling it back, which on the whole was through Wright being in form.

Wright over the last 10 matches has lost his form big style, is it purely coincidence that our goals in open play have now dried up?

With Wright not playing well and now Kinsella gone - and Ishmel still sitting in the naughty corner - we have nobody in the side with any creativity at all.

Our only goal in the last ten matches from open play was created by Kinsella. Which of our present favoured squad is going to make an opening for our forwards? Dobson, Fox, Keates, Pead and Bedeau all have their supporters but on the evidence of their play this season they are not going to figure high in any list of number of assists.

We are now in a record breaking run of matches with only one goal from open play. In most of the last ten matches not only has there not been a goal from open play, but there has also been barely a single chance created by one of our midfielders.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:57 am

Bernie wrote:With Wright not playing well and now Kinsella gone - and Ishmel still sitting in the naughty corner - we have nobody in the side with any creativity at all.

Our only goal in the last ten matches from open play was created by Kinsella. Which of our present favoured squad is going to make an opening for our forwards? Dobson, Fox, Keates, Pead and Bedeau all have their supporters but on the evidence of their play this season they are not going to figure high in any list of number of assists.

We are now in a record breaking run of matches with only one goal from open play. In most of the last ten matches not only has there not been a goal from open play, but there has also been barely a single chance created by one of our midfielders.

As usual, the voice of common sense from Bernie. Surely all the supporters of the above players can see the problem - we do NOT create chances in open play. If we can't score from a set-piece, then we're stymied. Quite frankly, even Didier Drogba and Thierry Henry would struggle to score in our team!

DD has said that he has a couple of midfield players in mind, so let's hope he can sign them in January. Until then, we will have to battle away to scrape a few points. It would help if DD could coach our defenders to actually PASS the ball to a team-mate instead of just hoofing it upfield.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:15 pm

To be fair we have a number of players out of position yesterday. We are down to the dregs of the side . Fox is not a centre midfielder Wright is not a left winger Dobson is not fully fit , Sam and T Wright did not work.

Win the next 2 home games and everything will be fine , people say we are having a bad run , but at least we are still picking up points

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:With Wright not playing well and now Kinsella gone - and Ishmel still sitting in the naughty corner - we have nobody in the side with any creativity at all.

As usual, the voice of common sense from Bernie. Surely all the supporters of the above players can see the problem - we do NOT create chances in open play. If we can't score from a set-piece, then we're stymied. Quite frankly, even Didier Drogba and Thierry Henry would struggle to score in our team!

DD has said that he has a couple of midfield players in mind, so let's hope he can sign them in January. Until then, we will have to battle away to scrape a few points. It would help if DD could coach our defenders to actually PASS the ball to a team-mate instead of just hoofing it upfield.

So what you want Dosh to do? Get the hypnotist character off Little Britain to go down to the Football League and FA to hypnotise the officials to forget the transfer window and then sign a couple of midfielders?

He knows the problems, he's been saying since Kinsella went that he wants a couple of midfielders, he said it again in last nights paper. Give him the opportunity to change in DURING THE TRANSFER WINDOW.

4 points clear at Christmas after a couple of tough away games with key players missing.

I'll repeat the now boring question, WOULD YOU ALL HAVE TAKEN THAT SCENARIO IN AUGUST?

We now have two home games. Take 4 or 6 points which I think we will and the other teams around us will drop points and we will extend our lead again.

Take 2 or less points in against Shrewsbury and Bristol and I might be worried. But I doubt we will.

After those we then havce Ciderquest, Geordie Saddler MKII and then hopefully the two midfielders DD wants to sign to improve us and put us back on track.

Anyone would think we're losing games but we're not. Promotion winning sides are hard to beat. That is us.

Matt'sdad

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:27 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:

So what you want Dosh to do? Get the hypnotist character off Little Britain to go down to the Football League and FA to hypnotise the officials to forget the transfer window and then sign a couple of midfielders?

He knows the problems, he's been saying since Kinsella went that he wants a couple of midfielders, he said it again in last nights paper. Give him the opportunity to change in DURING THE TRANSFER WINDOW.

4 points clear at Christmas after a couple of tough away games with key players missing.

I'll repeat the now boring question, WOULD YOU ALL HAVE TAKEN THAT SCENARIO IN AUGUST?

We now have two home games. Take 4 or 6 points which I think we will and the other teams around us will drop points and we will extend our lead again.

Take 2 or less points in against Shrewsbury and Bristol and I might be worried. But I doubt we will.

After those we then havce Ciderquest, Geordie Saddler MKII and then hopefully the two midfielders DD wants to sign to improve us and put us back on track.

Anyone would think we're losing games but we're not. Promotion winning sides are hard to beat. That is us.

MMF - Couldn't agree more. Open up your Sunday Papers and take a look at the League Tables.

Happy Christmas everyone :D :D :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:58 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:DD has said that he has a couple of midfield players in mind, so let's hope he can sign them in January. Until then, we will have to battle away to scrape a few points. It would help if DD could coach our defenders to actually PASS the ball to a team-mate instead of just hoofing it upfield.

After those we then have Ciderquest, Geordie Saddler MKII and then hopefully the two midfielders DD wants to sign to improve us and put us back on track.

Magic - did you actually read my last paragraph? I'm not disagreeing with you! I'm all too aware of the transfer window but I was suggesting that there is work needed elsewhere in the team to improve matters until any new signings have time to get to know their new team-mates.

As for the boring question - the answer is, of course, yes! However, having now seen, at first hand, just how s**t this division really is, then I don't think it's unreasonable to set our standards high - do you? I appreciate we're not losing games but that has been more down to luck and crap opposition, lacking the talent to punish our shortcomings, than any quality on our part, over the last few weeks.

I still have faith in DD to rectify matters but I was warning against complacency. Even Sheff's idol, the special one, said the same yesterday about his side's win at Wigan!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:52 pm

Sorry, Leamore I just picked your post out to quote as it was near the end of the thread. My point remains, there's not much DD can do about team selection until Jan, which thankfully isn't far away.

One thing I would suggest the team isn't under DD as he won't allow it to happen, is complacent. Sometimes lacking in pace, creativity, width and attacking intent but they won't be complacent.

The division is cr@p at times, not not that crap. I can pick players out from many teams we have played this season (and players who were missing when we played them) who I would want to improve our team. Wycombe, Swindon and Lincoln all have very strong sides but we are leading them all by a clear margin, despite a bit of a slip up.

We don't have a right to win any away games despite the standard of opposition. Not to lose is the key, but winning the home games is then doubly important. Lets see what happens agains the Sloppies and Brizzle.

Lincoln have a local derby against Boston on Boxing Day which won't be easy, Swindon and Wycombe play each other, MK Dons are away at
Torquay, Hartlepool play an in form Grimsby. Then on Saturday MK Dons are away at Chester, Hartlepool play Peterborough, Wycombe and Lincoln play each other and then Swindon play Notts County.

Shrewsbury and Bristol Rovers won't be easy at all but I still think we can take 6 points. There's a big chance the teams below us will drop points, especially as most play each other and MK Dons have two away games.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:49 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Willy-Nilly wrote:
jnks wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:On another note...when does the drummer sit his Grade One exam?

I was stood right next to the drummer in the first half, top lad, fair play, he did love that drum! Didn't find it annoying at all to be honest, but had to laugh at the guys next to me who told the lad to go to the back of the stand because the accoustics were better back there! :D

:shock: That would have been us then jnks. The acoustics would have been better at the back of the stand but 'Kev' (the lad who had the drum) thought differently. :D

This was how I saw it;

Is that the kid that does a funny dance when we score at home, in the F2G lower. I think hes retarded- not in a joking way.

I know the kid a little bit, he is frequently in the magic lantern and he is well thought of on the Beechdale. He is slow but is a great kid to talk to and he is devoted to Walsall FC. Must admit though the drum got on my tits a little yesterday.

dannyv

Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:50 pm

How anybody can critisise Dobson yesterday is beyond me. I thought he was great, a massive improvement from his last performance thats for sure.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:41 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:So what you want Dosh to do? Get the hypnotist character off Little Britain to go down to the Football League and FA to hypnotise the officials to forget the transfer window and then sign a couple of midfielders?

Correct-a-mundo dudes!!!

Kowabunga and Up The Saddlers - bring on Boxing Day and 3 points!! :)

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:08 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:

Strange how a lot of fans , can't crasp the fact . 23 games 2 defeats we are hard to beat , as Mark says and keeps saying hard to beat teams win
promotion .

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season