Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League Tuesday 5/12/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:17 pm

handsworth saddler wrote:Well done lads!! To go one goal down and come back and win on a pitch that sounded like it was awful is definately promotion material.
9 points clear I just keep looking at the table in amazment lol

I'll echo that. Looking forward to Saturday even more now.

UTS

Red Leader

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:26 pm

Great result to come from behind, the sort of games where promotion is earned.

just noticed the attendance on the BBC website 2,148 - that terrible even for league 2 on a wet tuesday night!! - did WM announce the attendance if so how many did we take?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:33 pm

Hoo-ray!

In these times of rugby, cricket and general sporting woe, thank god for Walsall FC!!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Red Leader wrote:Great result to come from behind, the sort of games where promotion is earned.

just noticed the attendance on the BBC website 2,148 - that terrible even for league 2 on a wet tuesday night!! - did WM announce the attendance if so how many did we take?

It was a bad attendance, but Bury only average 2,500 anyway - even on a good day. In addition, there were 4 matches in league 2 with sub 2,000 crowds. Most eye catching for me was the fact that Mansfield had only 2,274 for the visit of Swindon, their lowest league gate of the campaign against a well supported and second in the table side.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:46 pm

According to WM, 'Bishop could have had a hat-trick - missed two sitters.'

Bishop is a Saddler, Bishop is a Saddler..Da da da da....!

gray
Glitterati

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:52 pm

brilliant.

If anybody ever ever ever tells you that complaining about a referee or a lineman makes no difference use tonights game as an example. The linesman was useless chants of "substitute the linesmen" were greeted with cheers when to our disbelief the ref beckoned the lino over and sent him to the stands. replacing him with the 4th official.

The new linesman gave us our first goal after the ref consulted him about whether the ball crossed the line and he gave us the goal. Simple header for Sam was the 2nd.

We were pretty good in the 2nd half and deserved to come back to at least a draw, first half we were absolutely shocking. M Wright was useless. Great atmosphere in the 2nd half!

onwards and upwards lads!

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:01 pm

Fish wrote:According to WM, 'Bishop could have had a hat-trick - missed two sitters.'

:D

Stop Bashing the Bishop!!!

You'll go blind!!!

:shock: :oops:

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:22 pm

Does anybody there know if Bedeau was injured?

The Bury commentators were quite impressed with him, said he was quite handy in the first half and a handful...

Ironically, when Sam came on, their main commentator was saying how good he was and that he always scores at Gigg Lane...

redalways

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:27 pm

Butler could have had three as well.

Cannot wait to see the Swede in January. If Pickin gets match fit in the new year and we pick up a pacey, experienced winger we could already have a squad capable of making a challenge in Div 1 next year.

OK so we haven't yet got the magical 50 points to make sure we don't go down - does that sound like something from a million years ago!!!
Last edited by redalways on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:28 pm

KJC wrote:
Fish wrote:According to WM, 'Bishop could have had a hat-trick - missed two sitters.'

You'll go blind!!!

Not bashing him at all...full of admiration. Good player in my book. See him back in a Walsall shirt one day perhaps, like Butler who famously also missed a sitter or two against us.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:37 pm

Fish wrote:
KJC wrote:

You'll go blind!!!

Not bashing him at all...full of admiration. Good player in my book. See him back in a Walsall shirt one day perhaps, like Butler who famously also missed a sitter or two against us.

Quick ! Duck down.

WHOOOOOSH !

:wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:37 pm

Fish wrote:
KJC wrote:

You'll go blind!!!

Come on Fish! You must have seen the joke.

(sorry, everyone, a KJC/Exile chatroom in-joke there)

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:40 pm

Richard Hillman bashed the Bishop and he ended up dead !

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:41 pm

quote]

(sorry, everyone, a KJC/Exile chatroom in-joke there)[/quote]

yep, sure did !

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:42 pm

Exile wrote:
Fish wrote:
KJC wrote:

You'll go blind!!!

Not sure it something we want to see :D

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:43 pm

Exile wrote:
Fish wrote:
KJC wrote:

You'll go blind!!!

He didn't see it Exy, his eyesight is failing :D

WSOne
UTS Regular

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:50 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Richard Hillman bashed the Bishop and he ended up dead !

:lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:59 pm

Well that was a victory snatched from the jaws of defeat and despite both sides having numerous chances, Bury didn't take theirs and ours we were gifted courtesy of the substitute linesman who flagged that the ball had crossed the line the first time before it was handled on the line after the second shot. The ref pointed to the spot but his attention was drawn to the linesman and after a quick chat signalled a goal! From that point there seemed only one team in it as we pressed forward although Bury remained dangerous on the break. The second goal came courtesy of the goalkeeper, who had previously been treated for a leg injury after clashing with Butler, when the corner was taken he failed to move to collect the ball and it was gratefully headed over the line by Sam. One of their outfield players took his shirt as he was substituted immediately, I thought he was a decent keeper prior to his injury after he had made two excellent saves from Butler.
Great performance from Roper, my man of the match, Butler was excellent as was Ince who made two fantastic saves, Mark Wright once again produced a few dangerous moments from crosses and a remarkable volley to keep the ball in play which led to the corner from which we scored the winner. Westwood looked a little dodgy and persistantly kept passing the ball out of play although his link up play with wright in the second half gained him a few plus points.
Nine points clear, an average performance away from home and another crap report from Cully, roll on Saturday.

gray
Glitterati

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:05 am

Stu wrote:Does anybody there know if Bedeau was injured?

The Bury commentators were quite impressed with him, said he was quite handy in the first half and a handful...

Ironically, when Sam came on, their main commentator was saying how good he was and that he always scores at Gigg Lane...

that is ridiculous, he was absolutely dreadful and that was the reason he was taken off im sure.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:10 am

gray wrote:
Stu wrote:Does anybody there know if Bedeau was injured?

that is ridiculous, he was absolutely dreadful and that was the reason he was taken off im sure.

I hope he is injured and out for a long time, he was pathetic again! commentators must have been paid by him!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:23 am

Hmmm...just seen the goal on the box and it didn't look over the line to me :? But there's just no stopping goal machine Ropes.

I would have taken a draw from a December trip to Bury, to get all three after falling behind just reinforces our promotion credentials. Had a quick look over on the Bury fans' forums and a few of them seem to be saying they were unlucky, deserved a point, aren't ten places worse than Walsall etc etc. Heard it all before. We are the masters of disciplined, successful away displays. In fact, since losing at Grimsby our away results have been:
four wins: Bristol Rovers (2-1), Accrington (2-1), Hereford (1-0), Bury (2-1)
two draws: Shrewsbury (1-1), Chester (0-0).

And to think people were worried about our away form!

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:24 am

What a great result!!! :D :D

2 Great results while i'"ve been away (still am)

Can't wait for the swindon game! 9 points clear, absolutley love it :D

Now im off to party and get drunk! :mrgreen:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:29 am

Just got in. What a cracking game. Some superb saves from both goalkeepers & it was hardly lacking in incident throughout. Thought Bury looked quite a good side & were dangerous in first half especially down the flanks where we seemed very exposed. We seemed to rely too much on pumping the ball hopefully forward.
Thought Butler's header was going in the top corner till Bury keeper somehow reached it ( he must score soon!) Thought Bedau was anonymous ...did nothing dreadful but not much positive either.
Much livelier & constructive going forward in the second half & we certainly upped the tempo after they scored..their scorer seemed completely unmarked coming in from the left. I know the linesman came in for some stick especially after the ball hit him & came back into play but was really surprised when he was actually substituted ( It would be interesting to read the ref's report on it). Must admit my daughter felt very sorry for him.
Even when Pead's shot hit he post I thought we would get a goal but not in the way we did. I didnt think the ball crossed the line for our first goal but thanks to 'the linesman is a saddler' we got it, though presumably the ref would have sent the defender off if the penalty had stood. Not sure the Bury fans etc would have been too pleased with the way the linesman was grinning towards us after he came on.
Ince pulled off a couple of truly excellent saves in the game. I've never been totally convinced about needing the 2nd keeper on the bench but obviously the fact that the 40 year old Bury keeper did not go off after being injured was crucial as he did not move at all for Sam to get his header in.
It would have been nice if we could have tested their stand-in goalie in the last few minutes. I hate it when teams just take the ball to the corner flag , where we immediately lost possession. Still all in all, an excellent night winning an entertaining, open game.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:44 am

I'm surprised that nobody at Bury (on the stuff I've read so far) has thought to blame us for the loss of their on-loan keeper yet. I mean, we weren't good enough, were lucky, had the ref in our pocket and all, so why not that too?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:22 am

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:38 am

Promotion was secured last night folks!!

On a cold, wet and soggy Bury pitch the lads got a result that didnt look likely when we went 1-0 down, but fair play to them they carried on battling and got their just rewards.

Dickie's interview last night on WM reminded me so much of Graydon. "We have achieved nothing yet"- too true but many more results like that and we will be promoted before April.

Roll on Swindon.....
Last edited by YGA Saddler on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:44 am

wfc_2uk wrote:Promotion was secured last night folks!!

Famous last words? :?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:52 am

cheesebag wrote:

I am confident Carl and so should the rest of us, we have played nearly every team in this league and have been a class above with our approach. It would take a major disaster for us not to go up from this position.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:04 am

cheesebag wrote:

Yep. Would't go that far, but we keep grinding out wins at the mo. When I saw that Swindon were losing, a point away at Gigg Lane would have been an acceptable return (especially when we went a goal down), but to win that match shows something about the character of the side and the momentum and belief that has built up in recent weeks. I do believe we will have an off-day or two, but now 10 points (plus superior goal difference) clear of fourth place is about all anyone could wish for

If someone offered me third place, and consequently promotion, now - I'd still take it!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:09 am

wfc_2uk wrote:"We have not achieved nothing yet"

Love those double negatives!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season