Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League Saturday 25/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:00 am

sid swifty wrote:Well i wasn't there due to family commitments...but from the way its divided opinion on this site from all parts of the ground...and sometimes people sitting near each other had differing accounts...SO HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE EXPECT THE REF TO GET IT RIGHT WHEN WE CANT AGREE ON UTS...EVEN AFTER DISCUSSING IT FOR 2 DAYS... :D

Were a forum of friendly debate, he was just a cockbag!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:27 am

Exile wrote:Did you forget to pay? Another senior moment?
:wink:

Senior moment ????? Cheeky sod !

You've got it totally wrong Exile. The fanzines were sold out on the day, but Stu kindly posted some to me later, for Leamore, myself and my son Chris. So I have to pay Stu for them next time we catch up with one another, simple as that. :D

SOUTH DERBYSHIRE SADDLER

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:29 am

VIDEO EVIDENCE AT FOOTBALL ? KEEP IT FOR ME the debate about football on here is what it's all about for me, we have post upon post on here about the game and its incidents. Thats what makes this game of ours so great.
I had a few years out of Fellows Park to become a Programme Editor/ Press Officer/ sometimes Sectetary for a local non league club up here and one of the things I had to do was mark Referees Performances. We had a big platform behind one goal and I COULD SEE EVERYTHING as my good mate and fellow Saddler Brian Adshead of Staffs FA will vouch for as he used to ref us I could see things clearly at the other end of the pitch from my lofty position.
It got to the stage where I figured I could do better, so off i went and took my referees course. I t was then and only then that I realised that the game as a referee is about angles, what is blatantly obvious to one on the terrace is not so clear from ground level on the pitch, players have an annoying habit of getting in the way as well and if you cannot see properly you cannot give the decision.
Diving is very difficult to call and you need to be 100 percent sure to book or send off for this offence.
People who I have refereed say i was rubbish same as every other referee we see on the F Lg but there is a lot of politics in the refereeing world believe me the best referees dont always progress, often due to the obsession with youth these days, you have to be young to progress, you have to referee a certain way in different leagues to progress, when you hit the Flg the man in the stand is the man you have to please, which explains the way a lot of referees perform on Saturday afternoons.
Refereeing takes over your life, you have to be permanently available, if you have a job where you cannot have a lot of time off that is difficult, especially for the much loved 2pm Reserve team games. You end up booking holidays to run the line at Mansfield, Chesterfield etc, two or three games a week oh and training and meetings as well . You stop doing Sunday football and you are too big for your boots, keep true to your roots and you are lamblasted for doing it as well so as referees we will never win video refs or not.
DONT CHANGE A WONDERFUL PRODUCT THAT KEEPS EVERYONE TALKING FOR DAYS AFTER THE GAME BESIDES AS MY MATE EARPY SAYS IT HAS TO BE BOTH HANDS TO GIVE THE SADDLERS A HAND BALL AT BESCOT (Local rules apply apparently!)

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:57 am

http://www.nottscountyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10426~933866,00.html

another manager that can't see why we are top

"they must be top for a reason" was all the Notts boss could come up with

Surely making comments like that just makes you look a little stupid

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:00 pm

i like it when the other managers really dont like loosing to us, maybe we are saving our best performances against swindon wrexham and shrewsbury

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:44 pm

machew wrote:Is it an offence for a player to wear a shirt with no number on the back these days ? One of the County players played the first half 'anonymously' as I saw it.

The player had gone off to have stitches (applied by our club doctor) in a wound. The player's shirt was blood-stained and, as players are no longer allowed to have blood on their clothing (for health reasons), he donned a clean shirt which bore no number. All clubs now carry a supply of such shirts to use in circumstances such as this. It is legal in these circumstances, only.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
machew wrote:Is it an offence for a player to wear a shirt with no number on the back these days ? One of the County players played the first half 'anonymously' as I saw it.

The player had gone off to have stitches (applied by our club doctor) in a wound. The player's shirt was blood-stained and, as players are no longer allowed to have blood on their clothing (for health reasons), he donned a clean shirt which bore no number. All clubs now carry a supply of such shirts to use in circumstances such as this. It is legal in these circumstances, only.

I wouldn't ban him, but Stonnall probably would ! :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:46 pm

saddlerken wrote:http://www.nottscountyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10426~933866,00.html

another manager that can't see why we are top

"they must be top for a reason" was all the Notts boss could come up with

Surely making comments like that just makes you look a little stupid

Very stupid. We are top because we have an outstanding goalkeeper and back four. We also have the ability to take sufficient advantage of the shortcomings of every team in this league. Add to that our undoubted mental toughness and fitness that enables us to see games out when we are under pressure and that is basically that.

His team hasn't!!

Interesting, infact hilarious to see that Accrington's charge towards the championship of League Two has fallen somewhat off the rails. Still they're in the Johnson Paint Pot Challenge Trophy, and Macclesfield are still in the FA Cup... I know where I'd rather be.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:19 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:How about the foul given against hector Sam in the corner ???

Ridiculous decision that was. They were tangled up and leaning into each other but if anything their player was committing the foul. But instead of giving it the ref waited to see where the ball ended up for the advantage and it fell to us so then he decided to give it. Rubbish

Oh, and Geoff, whether Wright was clipped or not he DEFINITELY MADE THE MOST OF IT AND DIVED LIKE THIS.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:How about the foul given against hector Sam in the corner ???

Ridiculous decision that was. They were tangled up and leaning into each other but if anything their player was committing the foul. But instead of giving it the ref waited to see where the ball ended up for the advantage and it fell to us so then he decided to give it. Rubbish

Oh, and Geoff, whether Wright was clipped or not he DEFINITELY MADE THE MOST OF IT AND DIVED LIKE THIS.

That's exactly the same style - is this a pic of his summer hols?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:54 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

How would you know, you were behind the goal ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you "whether Wright was clipped or not" is music to my ears, a definite indication that you're weakening - seen a replay have you, and found out I was right all along ?

And another thing, there was LESS water than that - slightly - so he'd have been seriously hurt if he'd dived into the ground like that ! :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:55 am

I'm not weakening geoff. I never mentioned it before. :? :wink:

Believe it or not geoff you can actually see things from behind the goal contrary to popular belief from the tartan rug, flask and Werthers Originals stand dwellers. ;)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:18 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I'm not weakening geoff. I never mentioned it before. :? :wink:

Believe it or not geoff you can actually see things from behind the goal contrary to popular belief from the tartan rug, flask and Werthers Originals stand dwellers. ;)

Not if you have drunk enough cider before the game you can't

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season