Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Macclesfield Town (H) FA Cup 1st Round Replay 21/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:21 pm

Oh come on everyone.....I'm disappointed tonight, I'm REALLY glad I couldn't make it and "waste" my money BUT....

i) We're 6 points clear at the top of the league

ii) It was a great performance at Hereford on Saturday

iii) If we win handsomely on Saturday, all will be forgotten

iv) If we'd been told before the season started that, after 18 games, we'd be top of the league, we'd never have believed it.

Yes, there are one or two worrying signs but we have to believe in Mr Money to get it right...he has so far!

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:22 pm

Well that was good! :lol:

It was awful, Beadau is absolutley sh!t

Hector sam is f!cking woeful. Please get rid now.

Good 3 points against county will be nice.

liamrowc52
UTS Regular

liamrowc52 wrote:we will win 4-3 £5er on it. sam to score 3... oh wait i just came back to reality 1-0 to them.
sooo sorry. il jus go and ban myslef. who agrees??

ws3
Glitterati

ShropsSaddler wrote:Oh come on everyone.....I'm disappointed tonight, I'm REALLY glad I couldn't make it and "waste" my money BUT....

i) We're 6 points clear at the top of the league

ii) It was a great performance at Hereford on Saturday

iii) If we win handsomely on Saturday, all will be forgotten

iv) If we'd been told before the season started that, after 18 games, we'd be top of the league, we'd never have believed it.

Yes, there are one or two worrying signs but we have to believe in Mr Money to get it right...he has so far!

In fairness, had you wasted your money tonight you would have had your confidence knocked a little.

It was awful.

ws3
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:23 pm

liamrowc52 wrote:
liamrowc52 wrote:we will win 4-3 £5er on it. sam to score 3... oh wait i just came back to reality 1-0 to them.
sooo sorry. il jus go and ban myslef. who agrees??

Me :)

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:27 pm

ws3 wrote:In fairness, had you wasted your money tonight you would have had your confidence knocked a little.

It was awful.

Accepted ws3...you're feeling a bit "emotional" after watching a dire match.

But step back from it tomorrow, look at the overall picture...and tell me honestly that you think Mr Money is NOT getting things right. He's doing a fantastic job, we've got a transfer window in a few weeks...and despite some poor performances, we're still sitting pretty in the league.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:30 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
ws3 wrote:In fairness, had you wasted your money tonight you would have had your confidence knocked a little.

It was awful.

But step back from it tomorrow, look at the overall picture...and tell me honestly that you think Mr Money is NOT getting things right. He's doing a fantastic job, we've got a transfer window in a few weeks...and despite some poor performances, we're still sitting pretty in the league.

Spot on my son! :wink:

ws3
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:34 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:

It was awful.

I am a little emotional (how did you tell) :)

What concerns me is that we had to wait 80 minutes for an attempt on goal. The games against MK Dons, Torquay and now 120 minutes against maclesfield yielded 1 goal. We conceded one goal in the process. A bit worrying in my opinion and something needs doing if we want to stay where we are.

I stated that I thought Hereford was a turning point but now I'm not convinced.

I will say no more until tomorrow when I have had time to calm down.

Come on Saddlers lets get it together for Saturday. Regardless we will be top and now we get a weekend off. Perhaps DD will take them to Lilleshall again.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:38 pm

ws3 wrote:I am a little emotional (how did you tell) :)

What concerns me is that we had to wait 80 minutes for an attempt on goal. The games against MK Dons, Torquay and now 120 minutes against maclesfield yielded 1 goal. We conceded one goal in the process. A bit worrying in my opinion and something needs doing if we want to stay where we are.

I stated that I thought Hereford was a turning point but now I'm not convinced.

I will say no more until tomorrow when I have had time to calm down.

Come on Saddlers lets get it together for Saturday. Regardless we will be top and now we get a weekend off. Perhaps DD will take them to Lilleshall again.

Oh I hope he does....I'll be down there tomorrow myself, would be nice to meet a few of the players!

ws3, I share some of your concerns...but I fully trust our manager. We're not losing games, we're top of the league and, on current form (last 6 games), we're still ahead of our rivals. That all says to me that we're going to stay where we are. A lot of 1-0 wins to follow, I suggest... but if it wins us promotion, will we care?

Go have yourself a drink to calm down...it'll all seem better in the morning ;-)

And if it doesn't, take a look at the Div 2 table :-)

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:First, you need to ask WHY HAS BUTLER IS NOT SCORING? Well the answer to that is NOT down to Butler, it is down to the absolute ABSYMAL service he is receiving. Give him service, he will score goals. End of story.

I agree.

Second you need to ask WHY WE PLAY SO NEGATIVE? Thats because we do not have enough CREATIVE players to be POSITIVE. Not rocket science is it. End of story.

I disagree. We've got Ishmel sitting, wasting on the bench whilst we have two full-backs on the left wing. The middle of midfield has NEVER worked with Dobson & Keates, but Kinsella can and does make a difference but is rarely even on the bench. Sam is useless but still get's picked every game. There are alternatives out there but Money never uses them.

To continue the story DD will need to get in a decent striker to partner Butler, a creative midfield player to partner Dobson and a couple of wingers to replace the DROSS we currently have playing on the wings.
Remember people, Rome was not built in a day. If come January DD hasnt sorterd this out, fair enough complain. But hey, give the bloke some credit. He is working with the tools he currently has available.

He's only working with a fraction of the tools available to him. Perhaps he needs to find out occasionally if the other tools sitting idle can do a job.

Pride of Bescot

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:49 pm

Tonight were me first game since Stockport :oops: . Many more will now follow as i have a job :wink: , but i were very dissappointed by our performace tonight and i were shocked by Maccesfield, i were thinking of them to be awful. Bedeau and Sam are a waste of space and Keates and Dobson just doesn't work. I hope my next game will be better viewing.

I also saw a UTS veteran in cheesbag tonight, with his two little sons :D

Perko Snr

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:50 pm

Its been over an hour since final whistle and I like others am still fumingggggg.

Too many long balls bypassing midfield.. Wrighty needs firing off along with Bedeau neither of who can take on a defender and get a cross over.. For me Fox and Taylor can't both play in same team as defensively they are both sound but again cant take a defender on (Ishy must start on Sat).

Sam not good enough I'm affraid, and got doubts about Constable. Where is the new striker

However after last year thought we may go out of league. DD knows what he is doing! Bring on Notts County.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:52 pm

Perko Snr wrote:Its been over an hour since final whistle and I like others am still fumingggggg.

Too many long balls bypassing midfield.. Wrighty needs firing off along with Bedeau neither of who can take on a defender and get a cross over.. For me Fox and Taylor can't both play in same team as defensively they are both sound but again cant take a defender on (Ishy must start on Sat).

Sam not good enough I'm affraid, and got doubts about Constable. Where is the new striker

However after last year thought we may go out of league. DD knows what he is doing! Bring on Notts County.

Ermmm there is like a TRANSFER WINDOW coming up in January, perhaps he is there?
What a ridiculous comment.

London Saddler

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 pm

I can imagine there will be plenty of criticism for the boys. But maybe its just me, but i do feel it was a one off and its strange, whilst i am disappointed with the performance of course, to be honest not a game i was really bothered about. Yes we could have drawn a big team in round 3, but just as likely we could have got injuries, suspensions and a crap draw like away to Milwall!

Let me say well done to Macclesfield. They had not won for over 20 games. We had not lost for close to 15 games. So they rightly celebrated like they had won the Champions League! They are a very very poor team, but it's their night and i hope they enjoy it and get through the 2nd round and get a decent draw for the 3rd round. The surprise today wasn't the small attendance, but the fact that so many had actually bothered to turn up!

People may label it as a poor match but for me it wasn't really that different from what we have seen for most of the season. Tight first half with barely a shot on goal. Defense as usual outstanding and like most of the season, the opposition barely having a sniff. The difference was that unusally, from probably the only real chance they had, they put it away, rather than most teams at this level needing 4-5 chances before they can score a goal. In midfield, we battled but without any quality. Up front we only managed 1 effort on goal(in the final minute) but the difference was that from the very few chances we normally create, there was not an occasion when someone(usually not a striker) nicked the odd goal which usually is good enough

Like i said, in defense we were solid as usual. But for me, the Macclesfield goal looked like a Ince clanger when he looked far too casual. But he has been so outstanding this season, he is allowed that one. Ropes-little needs to be said. Dann defended well but can get overconfident at times and a couple of times he played us into trouble in the 1st half when trying to be too clever. He has the potential to become a terrific player as long as he doesnt think he is Maldini at the moment. Taylor was ok. As usual Wright got plenty of critcism from those around me. Again i can't understand why. He was right back today which was ok as defensively, Macclesfields powder puff attack were not going to test him. Like i have said before, since our left hand side is regularly non existent as a attacking force, so the right side gets more possesion, hence more expectation, hence more criticism if things don't come off

Midfield as usual was solid, like as they have been all season. And attacking wise non existent, like they have been all season. There is a reason why Wright is playing week in and week out. Did you see Beadeau today?! Until Wracky gets back to full fitness, Wrighty has no worries about losing his right wing place when you consider Beadeau is the alternative! I have never understood the Fox thing. Worst player last season by a mile(which took some doing), cannot defend, cannot pass, no creativity and no pace. Like most of the season he either hoofed the ball forwards into touch, or passed it backwards/sidewards to Taylor/Keates so they could hoof it into touch. Keates ran around a lot and er, ran around a lot. Dobbo did his job as usual. Got stuck in. And like most times this season, he won a lot of headers in midfield(something we have not had in midfield for some time)

Up front was as usual Butler worked hard and ran his socks of. He failed to score from a free header in the final minute(our only effort on target all game) but the goals will come, no doubt about that. Thats of course assuming he gets some service and gets another striker to play along side him. Instead of Barrowman 2 (Sam). It is a characteristic of most managers good or bad (and we have an excellent, outstanding manager in my opinion), to favour the players they have signed. No other logical explanation can explain why Barrowman 2(sam) has got to play in nearly every match this season. He can't head, can't shoot, has no positional sense, little pace, no power and the big surprsie is not how few goals he has scored, but the fact that how on earth he has actually managed to score any?!

Constable came on for the second half and struggled but to me he looked like he was trying too hard. I feel sorry for him. He probably knew that the little time he had today, he had to impress and even if he did, he would be back in the reserves for the league programme. He may still have a lot to learn, but i would still have Constable with a blindfold on and with handcuffs on his legs rather than Barrowman 2 (Sam). the Demon came on in 2nd half but we struggled to give him the ball. When he did get the ball, he predictably looked more dangerous in 1 minute, than Fox has all season

Its better we get a kick up the backside in the cup rather than drop valuable league points. But the deficiencies today do not worry me, simply as i believe DD is well aware of them already. We all know we need a striker and i believe we will get one in the transfer window. We all know we need a creative midfielder and for me if we don't get one, then a simple solution is to keep the solid, defensive midfield pairing of Dobbo and Keates and put Demon on left wing instead of Fox

Saturday against Notts County was a big game, but now its huge. A feature of RG's team was that every time we had a crap result, we would respond by going on another run. So we need to do that, like we did after Grimsby game. Am sure team on Saturday will contain Westwood at right back and Kinsella back in midfield. Plenty to ponder and learn for DD after tonight but definetly no need to panic by anyone. Lets back and support the lads. Barring a couple of positions which need fine tuning, we are still at this level one of the best teams and despite tonight, i still think we will be 2 leagues higher than Macclesfield next season

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 pm

Just got back from the match

Butler might as well have been playing on his own up front - Sam did nothing (again) and Bedeau seems devoid of the pace he was meant to have.

I still think Fox Taylor works and Mark Wright, although not having a great game, was not dire either.

Dobson and Keates were OK - but we missed Kinsella's creation in midfield.

No problems really with Roper and Dann, who are both soild.

Ishi was lively but, as expected, was a target once he came on for a a number of crunching tackles. Plog was more lively than Bedeau but things didn't work for him tonight.

So why did we lose? Macc got a scrambled goal in a crowded box and we did not look like we would have scored if we played all night. Complete lack of service and support for the only one who looks like they have a goal in them, Butler.

No multiball tonight but Macc did bring on Borat in the second half - I kid you not.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:09 pm

I think this is what we needed. A great big boot up the arse.

Perko Snr

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:11 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Perko Snr wrote:Its been over an hour since final whistle and I like others am still fumingggggg.

Ermmm there is like a TRANSFER WINDOW coming up in January, perhaps he is there?
What a ridiculous comment.

Thanks for that!

You can only get strikers in January then?

If you were there tonight you may think there is more urgency required than waiting till January!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:11 pm

London Saddler wrote:and put Demon on left wing instead of Fox

Do you think it may occur to DD at long, long last ? It's been damn obvious to almost everyone else for a couple of months now.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:13 pm

London - a brilliant post. I agree with everything except for you saying that the match was a one-off. It sounded as if it was a repeat of many other matches this season, except we lost tonight - when we in match after match we have played badly and won.

Your comments on each player seem absolutely spot-on.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:15 pm

Dave Roe wrote:

Do you think it may occur to DD at long, long last ? It's been damn obvious to almost everyone else for a couple of months now.

Do you think so Dave? I keep hearing people say the combination on the left works!!

I see 3 great weaknesses in the side;

Fox - was pathetic last season, hardly any better this season. If he is going to play, it's got to be as a left back.

Keates - runs around alot, what more can you say? Lacks any kind of quality apart from when he sidefoots a dead ball. So what did he do with free-kicks in the last 2 games? Tried to blast them, and in so doing, embarrassed himself and us!

Sam - strikers need to score goals or be exceptional. He's neither.

I trust that Mr Money knows this...but also knows that NOW is not the time to say anything because he needs those players at least until the transfer season opens. Of course, our last "manager" would have gone to the press saying they were useless and totally de-motivated them. Mr Money is a proper manager!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:19 pm

Dave Roe wrote:

There is something really weird about DD not giving Ishmel even one start this season - not even in the Paint Cup - in the league cup - or against Maccy in the FA cup. This cannot possibly for reasons of form, since when he comes he always looks better than most of the others on the pitch. Ishmel is so much better than Fox as a winger it is impossible to compare them. Perhaps DD is doing it for some cranky disciplinary reasons, but if so surely the time has come for him to stop cutting off his nose to spite his face.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Well said OldPenkSaddler

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:22 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:I'm sorry, 180 minutes against a team that hasn't won for donkeys years, and no shots on target is just not good enough.

If that had happened under Lee I would have moaned.

If it had happened under M****n I would have moaned.

I'm going to moan now.

I know we're 6 points clear and all that but this one-paced, defensive shite will NOT get us promoted.

When is Money going to learn ?

FFS we've got a full-back on the wing while our England U18 winger sits on the bench. Dobson & Keates NEVER works, Sam will never make a striker at Walsall.

This negative crap WILL eventually transfer itself to the league games, and then God help us.

Let's play to win games Money :evil:

I suppose I should have waited a few hours before posting, but I'm sick of this defend at all costs crap.

Would have thought that this was the time to get behind the team rather than overreacting to a couple of very poor performances in the Cup.

Everyone will be disappointed but roll on saturday and back to winning ways. Up The Saddlers.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Bernie wrote:There is something really weird about DD not giving Ishmel even one start this season - not even in the Paint Cup - in the league cup - or against Maccy in the FA cup. This cannot possibly for reasons of form, since when he comes he always looks better than most of the others on the pitch. Ishmel is so much better than Fox as a winger it is impossible to compare them. Perhaps DD is doing it for some cranky disciplinary reasons, but if so surely the time has come for him to stop cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I'd love to see Demontagnac given a go but.....let's look at the possible reasons he's not being given a start;

i) Has he totally proved that he won't react in stupid fashion to a bad foul? Apparently he got clobbered tonight and walked away...a good sign....but does Mr Money see other reactions or attitudes in training or reserve matches?

ii) His tackling technique is appalling. I can see him committing two bad looking tackles in every game he plays if he starts a match....so he'll get sent off on too many occasions.

I think the doubts about remain. He's got great talent and I love to see him play but perhaps the manager has some justification for not playing him.

That said, if he is to be "risked", tonight would have been a good opportunity.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:50 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:blah blah blah.... bunch of 5 year olds posting on a message board.
First, you need to ask WHY HAS BUTLER IS NOT SCORING? Well the answer to that is NOT down to Butler, it is down to the absolute ABSYMAL service he is receiving...Give him service, he will score goals. End of story.
Second you need to ask WHY WE PLAY SO NEGATIVE? Thats because we do not have enough CREATIVE players to be POSITIVE. Not rocket science is it. End of story.
He is working with the tools he currently has available.

What a splendidly patronising tone you adopt, it must be nice to be so sure of oneself!
We don't know whether he has got the tools or not because he doesn't like experimenting. Tonight was a prime opportunity and it was more of the same old same old.

And ahem:

booster cogburn wrote: Well he's getting no decent service is he?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:12 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:There is something really weird about DD not giving Ishmel even one start this season - not even in the Paint Cup - in the league cup - or against Maccy in the FA cup. This cannot possibly for reasons of form, since when he comes he always looks better than most of the others on the pitch. Ishmel is so much better than Fox as a winger it is impossible to compare them. Perhaps DD is doing it for some cranky disciplinary reasons, but if so surely the time has come for him to stop cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I'd love to see Demontagnac given a go but.....let's look at the possible reasons he's not being given a start;

i) Has he totally proved that he won't react in stupid fashion to a bad foul? Apparently he got clobbered tonight and walked away...a good sign....but does Mr Money see other reactions or attitudes in training or reserve matches?

ii) His tackling technique is appalling. I can see him committing two bad looking tackles in every game he plays if he starts a match....so he'll get sent off on too many occasions.

I think the doubts about remain. He's got great talent and I love to see him play but perhaps the manager has some justification for not playing him.

That said, if he is to be "risked", tonight would have been a good opportunity.

Well hes gotta be risked sometime. but i can see the justification in not playing him.

But when he comes on, the crowd cheers the loudest and theres a buss about him when he gets the ball, and he also has the ability to go on that one run that will set up a winner.
Id start him on saturday, hes 3 times the player wright will ever be already if he can keep his cool.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:40 am

Bernie wrote:London - a brilliant post. I agree with everything except for you saying that the match was a one-off. It sounded as if it was a repeat of many other matches this season.

Purely to satisfy my curiosity, how do you know you agree with everything he said if you weren't at the game!?

BJ

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:45 am

I'm sorry, but you lot were saying how we played like a team leading the league on Saturday.

Now it's all negative. As usual, total overeaction which is why I rarely bother to post on here.

Of course it's not perfect - it isn't for anyone. Look at Lincoln, hammered at home.

We had to lose sometime and I'm glad it was in the Cup.

Get it in perspecctive. The table DOES NOT lie after this amount of games.

sj
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:00 am

Londonsaddler-- Good summary.

shrops.-- Yes Its too riisky to start with Issy every tackle he makes is dangerous. If we started with him he wouldn't last the whole game and we cant afford to play with 10 men.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:20 am

I thankfully saved my £16, so I'm not going to criticise anyone who had to sit through that plop in the cold.
However, one fact jumps out at me and that is the use of the substitutes.

It appears that Mr Money is becoming rather disenchanted with Bedeau and Sam.
He gave them 10-15mn in the second half to do something and little happened - he soon hauled them both off.
Asbo was quiet when he came on, but still did more than Bedeau.
A big plus was that I hear there was disgraceful challenge on him that went unseen and he shook his opponent's hand, well done that man!

I Love Turf has scored 3 in 18 (?) or something equally ridiculous. I know he gets no service etc etc, but that suggests that he's been given an extended run in the team and Butler has double his tally at least. Even if he's a good player and we perservere with him in the hope that he'll be Diego Forlan, or even better Jan Aage Fjortoft (remember him, 0 in 23 then 21 goals in half a season), he'll benefit from a rest/ demotion to get some confidence/ sharpness back.

We must have learned something from tonight when comparing it to Saturday's game.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:51 am

One other thing that comes to mind about last night - we had a number of corners in the second half and they all seemed to go straight to the keeper - I have faith that DD will be sorting this out too.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season