Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Macclesfield Town (H) FA Cup 1st Round Replay 21/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:51 am

Not to disappionted about being knocked out of the cup to be honest .
But very disappointed about the way it happend , watching the game on sky last week and listening to radio last night gave the impression that there was a total lack of interest from both players and management about winning this tie , that i feel is unfair on fans who paid to watch both games. If the players benefit from a week off all well and good.
But we all know we are much better than we have shown against the worst team in the football league and that hurts .

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:08 am

Absolutely dire performance going forward by an AVERAGE squad of players, half a dozen of our first team squad are not good enough

Bedeau is 5h|te, I've seen enough, he's had a full game and he was woeful

If you are weakening your defense by putting Wright at full back then I'm not surprised you don't want to weaken the left side so not playing Ish doesn't seem much of a surprise so WHY play Wright at full back in the first place?

Ish should have started

Constable is quite obviously garbage (however, he's quite obviously no worse than Sam) which is why we need 2 strikers in January)

We all know the problem in central midfield, not working, needs attention

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:16 am

BJ wrote:I'm sorry, but you lot were saying how we played like a team leading the league on Saturday.

That's because we did. Last night we didn't because Money made changes, the most notable one was taking out the only creative player we have in Kinsella. However I appreciate and as I have said for a while, he's not up to playing too many games. We need a younger version and quick.

1 shot on target in two games against a team who conceded THREE to Boston at home on Saturday is not good enough.

Once, more proof from Bedeau as to why Wright keeps getting picked in front of him. Lazy snail. He looked like he'd had a bollocking at half time but the effects only last for 10 mins or so but he looked more comfortable up front but he should have been taken off instead of Money swapping every one round and making the strangest tactical move of the season, putting Kris Taylor at right back who was so uncomfortable it was untrue.

Sam, sam as ever. Not good enough.

Ishmel had plenty of time but it was clear Macc had done their homework, they had 2 or 3 defenders marking him everytime he got the ball and it was very difficult for him until the last few mins when they tired.

I thought Dobson had his best game for a while and you know my thoughts on him, very encouraging. Roper and Dann were their usual selves although Dann's distribution was poor and could have cost us. He should keep it simple more.

Constable came on but wasn't good at all, as someone said above, he looked to be trying too hard which straight away makes him first choice in front of Sam or Bedeau for me regardless of quality.

Butler seems to try very hard and look lively for the first 10 mins of a game, presumably either to get warm quicker or because he soon realises he will get no service so gives up.

I really don't think Money was bothered about winning this game because of the players he pikced for the bench. If that was the case, why didn't he try them from the start and experiment.

All in all, I'm not fussed about the result but the performances was disappointing especially after Money seemed to have learned from the mistakes and put them right at Hereford. We were lucky to get nearly £100,000 from the first game which means a run wasn't essential but it would have been nice to get through to a winnable tie against Hartlepool and see who we came up against if we won.

The League is most important and I presume Kinsella and Westwood will be recalled and we will extend our lead at the top.

Sheff - Players/Strikers are available on loan BEFORE January.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:22 am

I didn't go, but got a phone call off my dad at HT, he sounded thoroughly bored.

I'm like Mark, if he's willing to experiment with players like Wright at right back, and give Bedeau a full 90, then why not let Constable and Demon have a full 90 mins?

Kinsella has to start on Saturday, Wright and Demon hopefully, and maybe just maybe we'll see some service for Sam and Butler. And on that note, lets not be too hasty on judging Sam - if Butlers getting no service, then nor is Sam.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:26 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
BJ wrote:I'm sorry, but you lot were saying how we played like a team leading the league on Saturday.

That's because we did. Last night we didn't because Money made changes, the most notable one was taking out the only creative player we have in Kinsella. However I appreciate and as I have said for a while, he's not up to playing too many games. We need a younger version and quick.

1 shot on target in two games against a team who conceded THREE to Boston at home on Saturday is not good enough.

Once, more proof from Bedeau as to why Wright keeps getting picked in front of him. Lazy snail. He looked like he'd had a bollocking at half time but the effects only last for 10 mins or so but he looked more comfortable up front but he should have been taken off instead of Money swapping every one round and making the strangest tactical move of the season, putting Kris Taylor at right back who was so uncomfortable it was untrue.

Sam, sam as ever. Not good enough.

Ishmel had plenty of time but it was clear Macc had done their homework, they had 2 or 3 defenders marking him everytime he got the ball and it was very difficult for him until the last few mins when they tired.

I thought Dobson had his best game for a while and you know my thoughts on him, very encouraging. Roper and Dann were their usual selves although Dann's distribution was poor and could have cost us. He should keep it simple more.

Constable came on but wasn't good at all, as someone said above, he looked to be trying too hard which straight away makes him first choice in front of Sam or Bedeau for me regardless of quality.

Butler seems to try very hard and look lively for the first 10 mins of a game, presumably either to get warm quicker or because he soon realises he will get no service so gives up.

I really don't think Money was bothered about winning this game because of the players he pikced for the bench. If that was the case, why didn't he try them from the start and experiment.

All in all, I'm not fussed about the result but the performances was disappointing especially after Money seemed to have learned from the mistakes and put them right at Hereford. We were lucky to get nearly £100,000 from the first game which means a run wasn't essential but it would have been nice to get through to a winnable tie against Hartlepool and see who we came up against if we won.

The League is most important and I presume Kinsella and Westwood will be recalled and we will extend our lead at the top.

Sheff - Players/Strikers are available on loan BEFORE January.

Agree with all that MMF. The Bedeau/Wright partnership didn't work for me. I though Bedeau did better than Sam up front (not difficult), and that Dobson probably had the best performance for me in midfield. Disappointed that so many players turned up and failed to produce performances they are capable of. I hope this is a wake-up call for them - Sam in particular needs dropping pronto!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:27 am

philthesaddler wrote:And on that note, lets not be too hasty on judging Sam - if Butlers getting no service, then nor is Sam.

I don't agree with that phil. Most of the balls are played into Sam because he drops deep to link the midfield with Butler. Most often he falls over, gets robbed of the ball or doesn't get his pass to Butler like he did at the start of the season.

He doesn't do the running into channels and chases balles like Butler (which is presumably why he has to wear one of those YGA body skin things) does because he is lazy which is why he is criticised more not because of his lack of goalscoring.

If he was creating chances for Butler like he did in august (and pretty much just August) then no one would have a problem with him.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:32 am

But my impression of sam is that he isn't a drop deep and collect forward, he's not built that way for a start, but he has to do that to see the ball. Maybe Money asks him to do it because Butler is the target man, running on to long balls and holding it up.

Having said that, it's easy to see where our problem is. Butler is a poacher, and he's being forced to do donkey work chasing long balls, when what we need is someone behind him [ideally wingers] peppering the box with good balls.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:41 am

Bedeau - one of the worst wingers I have ever seen in a Walsall shirt, i kid you not!

Wright - Never a Full-Back in a million years... surely someone could have told DD this before the match!! -- He was 100 times better that Bedeau, though, once moved to his usual position.

Sam - No pace, no guile in front of goal, no vision (he had umpteen opportunities to put in Butler).

Keates / Dobbo - you would think that at least one of them would attempt to get forward to help out the Strikers once in a while.

I'm never one to moan, but I am getting sick of this over-defensive crap.

Please sort it DD... we are now starting to get found out.

Will
UTS Regular

Under performing

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:06 am

It's pretty clear we're not performing to our full potential at the moment, but to RM's credit he seems to have recognised this and at least we are hard to beat. Because he bases his tactics around defence first we are at the top of the table and 6 points clear and have given ourself a fighting chance. If we tried to play a more attacking game with dross like Constable and Sam up front we'd be nowhere.

I think he's painfully aware of the need to invest in players in January -
Hector Sam is useless and has looked pretty useless from day one, there was the impression it was down to fitness / confidence and once he got his first goal he would step on - he has since proved he is a lazy stumbling talentless dolt who would struggle to hit a cows ass with a banjo. He appears to be hard working with a physical presence but isn't - with his size / presence he should be doing much better. Even though Constable is as bad if not worse I'd drop Sam to the reserves to give him a kick up the jacksy, he's not going to improve his attitude by playing each week. Constable (Chippenham's 2nd best striker according to Neil Ravenscroft), even though he's rubbish does at least work hard, show passion and enthusiasm and has shown in the past he knows where the goal is. Trouble is of course, with his rubbish passing / team play / defence work we'd have Butler and Constable running round like headless chickens to get the ball and still have trouble scoring and at least Sam does provide some defensive cover.
Midfield - Keates is never gonna be good enough - runs around a lot, shows a lot of enthusiasm, has the occasional great game when the opposition isn't wise to him, but is mostly harmless. We need a better partner for Dobson, as someone has mentioned - a youger Kinsella type player.
Bedeau is dire - initially he could get away with the excuse of getting over an injury and not having a pre-season, but time has shown - yes he really is that crap. Looks in decent shape, should have the courage, skill and enthusiasm to take on players - doesn't. Let him languish in the reserves and get rid ASAP so he can resume his career in the Conference North at Alfreton Town or some other club worthy of his 'talent'.
In order to score goals we could do with Ishy on the left and Wright on the right - unfortunately that'd put pressure on our defence and I don't know if they could cope? We may never find out with RM not wanting to change the team. There's also Ishy's temperement to think about.
Overall we're doing well given the limitations of our squad and the glass is definitely half full - but if we don't strengthen in Jan (or earlier with loans - West Brom striker anyone?) then we could start sinking quick and miss out on promotion. Not being pessimistic but ever so slightly worried.
Last edited by Will on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:07 am

One more thing about Bedeau - total lack or awareness. Several times last night he was in good positions, with Wright supporting him, but he never looked round for him, it was just "head down, run into trouble" and he just lost the ball. I've seen enough of him now, I hope he doesn't get picked again because THAT was abysmal last night.

Having said that, Constable was abysmal too, some of his attempted touches and lay-offs were utterly pathetic and just put me in mind of a parks "footballer".

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:09 am

I didnt go last night and from the reaction Im glad I didnt. Myself, like Bernie stayed away AGAIN because Im getting fed up of the negative tactics and poor performances and cant be bothered to waste my money with Xmas just around the corner.
I heard bits of it on WM and even the 5 or so minutes I heard on there I decided that was enough and watched Celtic v Man Ure instead.

Dicky is quickly becoming more negative than Colin Lee (hard to believe) but he is and if he doesnt change that situation sooner rather than later people will start to stay away and the crowd will get restless by the lack of chances, creating a doom and gloom atmosphere like last season. My my mates little 5 year old brother came up with a song and I had to smile "Tony Bedeau has got no clue". If a 5 year old can sum it up perfectly then I fail to see why DD cant. Bedeau should be on the first train leaving Bescot this morning and never return.

All in all a poor result and I feel sorry for the 3,000 Walsall fans that actually bothered paying £12-£15 last night to watch that shower of cack.
Oh well back to the league and winning ways on Saturday.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:21 am

wfc_2uk wrote:All in all a poor result and I feel sorry for the 3,000 Walsall fans that actually bothered paying £12-£15 last night to watch that shower of cack.

£16 actually. :(
Not knowing that I was able to attend, I had to pay on the night. Joined the 'cash only' queue only to have the bloke in front use his credit card for the purchase of three tickets. He joined the queue because it was shorter. The girl at the window should have told him, ever so sweetly, to p1$$ off to the proper queue.
One refreshment kiosk in Floors2Go stand closed, the other with a mile long queue at half time. One member of staff serving behind the bar at half time. We have asked the club to support us in our efforts to improve the organisation of Hereford, but there are clear and obvious issues closer to home. :evil:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:22 am

wfc_2uk wrote:Dicky is quickly becoming more negative than Colin Lee (hard to believe) but he is and if he doesnt change that situation sooner rather than later people will start to stay away and the crowd will get restless by the lack of chances, creating a doom and gloom atmosphere like last season

utter utter utter b0llox, complete garbage

So he hasn't used Ishy on a couple of occassions and he's playing Fox out left but to make that comparison is staggering given the attacking options that both managers had/have at their disposal, DD has only been in the job 6 months and I'll wait until his 2nd attempt at signing players before making a judgment like that, look at his options, there really aren't that many and his squad isn't that good.

Lack of chances? Lack of good players to choose from I say, I look at the bench and other than Ishy, a load of rubbish

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:25 am

oh to add to that, I do actually think that DD is quite a defensive minded manager but to work with the tripe he's got in front of the defence he's done an ace job

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:06 am

saddlerken wrote:oh to add to that, I do actually think that DD is quite a defensive minded manager but to work with the tripe he's got in front of the defence he's done an ace job

F***ing understatement of the century!!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:17 am

wfc_2uk wrote:
saddlerken wrote:oh to add to that, I do actually think that DD is quite a defensive minded manager but to work with the tripe he's got in front of the defence he's done an ace job

F***ing understatement of the century!!

and that annoys you?

as does being 6 points clear only requiring a return of maybe 13 wins from our remaining 28 games to get promoted?

F***ing defensive minded to55er of a manager

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:24 am

saddlerken wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:Dicky is quickly becoming more negative than Colin Lee (hard to believe) but he is and if he doesnt change that situation sooner rather than later people will start to stay away and the crowd will get restless by the lack of chances, creating a doom and gloom atmosphere like last season

utter utter utter b0llox, complete garbage

So he hasn't used Ishy on a couple of occassions and he's playing Fox out left but to make that comparison is staggering given the attacking options that both managers had/have at their disposal, DD has only been in the job 6 months and I'll wait until his 2nd attempt at signing players before making a judgment like that, look at his options, there really aren't that many and his squad isn't that good.

Lack of chances? Lack of good players to choose from I say, I look at the bench and other than Ishy, a load of rubbish

Without wanting to start another Colin Lee thread could I point out that when Lee was manager we were two divisions higher - and that Lee had the great Gary Birch at his disposal to lead our attack in most matches. Lee (and Graydon before him) were right to be defensive when up against teams with far better players. What is disappointing with DD is that he chooses to defend against the worst team in the league.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:31 am

Bernie wrote:Without wanting to start another Colin Lee thread could I point out that when Lee was manager we were two divisions higher - and that Lee had the great Gary Birch at his disposal to lead our attack in most matches. Lee (and Graydon before him) were right to be defensive when up against teams with far better players. What is disappointing with DD is that he chooses to defend against the worst team in the league.

I agree, the tactics last night leave a lot to be disired....BUT....Lee had players such as Ainsworth, Junior, Steve Corica (well, he was supposed to be a forward), Merscum, the outstanding Gary O'Neill, Samways, Leitao, to name but a few

Mentioning Birch does not tell the whole story

DD has got Butler and a big pile of plop to work with

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Dave Roe wrote:I'm sorry, 180 minutes against a team that hasn't won for donkeys years, and no shots on target is just not good enough.

If that had happened under Lee I would have moaned.

If it had happened under M****n I would have moaned.

I'm going to moan now.

I know we're 6 points clear and all that but this one-paced, defensive shite will NOT get us promoted.

When is Money going to learn ?

FFS we've got a full-back on the wing while our England U18 winger sits on the bench. Dobson & Keates NEVER works, Sam will never make a striker at Walsall.

This negative crap WILL eventually transfer itself to the league games, and then God help us.

Let's play to win games Money :evil:

I suppose I should have waited a few hours before posting, but I'm sick of this defend at all costs crap.
"This negative crap WILL eventually transfer itself to the league games, and then God help us.
It already has Dave...for me as i have said many times...people want to get promoted...of course we do...and i do beleive that we will go up this season...but i also dont want to see wfc degenerate to a team frightened to death of losing a game rather than a team playing open football and putting teams under the cosh...DD needs to look long and hard at the players he has got as well as the the boring (whatever you do...dont loose a goal in) tactics...to be honest i could see this coming...because any team with a new manager is dangerous...and Paul Ince is probably a damned good motivater...lighten up dickie...you may win games but your not making friends and influencing people...and i can see people starting to think "well shall i get this or that done or shall i go to the match" and the lack of entertainment will make more and more people think twice about going.

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:23 pm

to some up last nights game

boring, cold, never even looked interested, got beat by a team that wanted it more than us,

fair play to macclesfield, they deserved the win IMO, and if somebody from a neutral point of view was watching that match they might have thought that we was the team that hadnt won in all competitions this season.

i know we made changes to the team, but the team we put out last night on paper is stronger than what they had, we hardly created anything and when we looked like creating something we put rubbish balls into the box, took our time playing the ball through to set an attacker through and when we did play the ball through the delay of playing it meant we was in an offside position,

fair play to macclesfield they came with a game plan again, which troubled us and we didnt have a soloution to break them down,

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:37 pm

good post matty :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:39 pm

matty_walsall4eva wrote:To sum up last nights game:- boring, cold, never even looked interested, got beat by a team that wanted it more than us.

Fair play to Macclesfield, they deserved the win IMO, and if somebody from a neutral point of view was watching that match they might have thought that we were the team that hadn't won in all competitions this season.

I know we made changes to the team, but the team we put out last night on paper is stronger than what they had. We hardly created anything and when we looked like creating something we put rubbish balls into the box, took our time playing the ball through to set an attacker through and when we did play the ball through the delay of playing it meant we was in an offside position.

Fair play to Macclesfield, they came with a game plan again, which troubled us and we didn't have a solution to break them down.

Well done, Matty - a full posting! :D (the first of many, I hope) - and what's more, I agree with every word! What a bloody awful match! :(

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:23 pm

very disapointed with the result they are bottom of the league this really good chance to get to the 3rd round we would of beaten jeff stelling utd now i have to suffer the stick of the all the dingles i work with

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:54 pm

big baz 1 wrote:very disapointed with the result they are bottom of the league this really good chance to get to the 3rd round we would of beaten jeff stelling utd now i have to suffer the stick of the all the dingles i work with

they can give you stick now, but when we are celebrating a succesful promotion and they are looking back at a season on mishaps, then you will have the last bragging rights

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:19 pm

Having said what I have above, I do think some of the comments are way over the top.

I'm sure DD knows the deficiencies in the team and will rectify this in January. It is only fair to judge him "when he has his own players".

There really isn't a lot to moan about liek some above think. If the changes hadn't been made at Hereford I would agree but he made them and we were better. I presume he didn't make them last night because he puts far more importance on the game against Notts County and quite rightly so.

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:55 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I presume he didn't make them last night because he puts far more importance on the game against Notts County and quite rightly so.

i agree with what DD did last night in resting a couple of players, westwood was presumely dropped because we dont have another right back in the squad if he gets injured becasue of pead being suspeneded, kinsella was dropped becasue he will be starting on saturday and because of how old he is he wouldnt have been able to play 3 games in a week, beadua was played because of darren wrack being injured, if wrack wasnt injured he probs would have started at either right back or right midfield,

beadua had his chance last night and to me he didnt take it at all, he had his chance to prove that he is capable of warrenting a regular 1st team place but he didnt show it, to me he was off the pace a bit, didnt look fully fit, id keep him on the bench for a couple more games and give him regular football in the reserve team to regain confidence and fitness, if he still doesnt look like he is capable of playing 1st team football we should get rid of him.

martin butler should play a game in the reserves to try and bag a goal against an even weaker defence than in league 2 to try and regain some of the confidence that he has lost.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:31 pm

Think what summed game up for me was we played them for 180 minutes and forced one save from their keeper in last minute. Very disappointing.

nitrousoxide

maccelsfield fa cup

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:43 pm

come on lads wrnt at work last night so didnt see the game, but c'mmom commen sence. Yes wrightys a cr@p right back but ever thought that westie has only been back this week how can you expect him to play two games in three days.

Also: ishy dont get me wrong talented good winger but my dad told me he kicked out at a player last night and could of been sent off if it was not andy du'rso, and also ishy is a winger but he isnt defencivly. Yes he opens games up but he also opens the left side for the oppersitions right back and right winger to attack krissy all on his own.

Hopefully our great uts posters can see my views and do not hestitate to correct me if they are willing to oppose my views

UP THE SADDLERS!

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:18 pm

deanonev69 wrote:Think what summed game up for me was we played them for 180 minutes and forced one save from their keeper in last minute. Very disappointing.

i was disapointed at that aswell, only creating 1 clear cut opportunity in 2 games. i watched the championship on sunday and i noticed how poor macclesfields defence was against a team that were 2nd bottom, and i turned round and told my cousin if we create chances their defence wont be able to cope and will buckle under the pressure, we didnt create enough chances to even make them sweat.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season