Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hereford United (A) League - Saturday 18/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:30 pm

Yeah were defensive, we only have the best goal difference and the 2nd best attack, defensive! and with 15 players scoring, not too bad is it ? UTS!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:31 pm

sid swifty wrote:
1933 wrote:
sid swifty wrote:well done lads...6pts clear now...and from what i heard on the radio at long last they have started to play a bit more like league leaders...but i will reserve judgement until my 2 sons get back and tell me their account of the game.

if they say we played badly are we going to get a mini-rant from you again?

we got the 3 points away from home when the majority of people on here expected a point at most!

some walsall fans are never happy... evidence: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A17448159
I dont give a flying fudge what other people think...i make my own mind up as to wether i enjoy a football match or not...if i dont like it i may well have a rant...if i do like it i will describe how much i have enjoyed watching it...but what i wont put up with is people telling me how disloyal i am...and how i should like it nomatter how they play.

You may happen to have noticed that Hereford were one of form teams in division perhaps swifty?
1 loss in 7 matches, including wins over Swindon and MK Dons!
Oh, you may also notice they have one of best home records in division.

I for one would have been happy with a point today, 3 I am over joyed!
Well done the lads!
However you played a great result and 6 points clear!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:32 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
sid swifty wrote:i make my own mind up as to wether i enjoy a football match or not...if i dont like it i may well have a rant...if i do like it i will describe how much i have enjoyed watching it...but what i wont put up with is people telling me how disloyal i am...and how i should like it nomatter how they play.

But you don't do you? You're taking a view from someone else, not witnessing it yourself, so you can't say whether you enjoyed today or not!
my 2 sons went today and they had a whole back seat spare if i wanted to go...but considering how (in my opinion) they are even more defensive away than at home i was put off going..so i am still being true to my own feelings Neil.

And your team is top of league! Have you not noticed?

Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:34 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
sid swifty wrote:i make my own mind up as to wether i enjoy a football match or not...if i dont like it i may well have a rant...if i do like it i will describe how much i have enjoyed watching it...but what i wont put up with is people telling me how disloyal i am...and how i should like it nomatter how they play.

But you don't do you? You're taking a view from someone else, not witnessing it yourself, so you can't say whether you enjoyed today or not!
my 2 sons went today and they had a whole back seat spare if i wanted to go...but considering how (in my opinion) they are even more defensive away than at home i was put off going..so i am still being true to my own feelings Neil.

here, here! top of the league, away wins, solid defence, goal scorers in all positions, tactical substitutions.... i love it.

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:34 pm

1933 wrote:
liamrowc52 wrote:my only concern has been that a striker has not scored in a wile, the tactics seemed to of worked and we beat another crap oponent and five points clear. bring on notts county.

wouldn't call them crap opponents! they made us work hard for our win. it is a concern that butler looks low on confidence but it is credit to the team that the goals can come from all over the pitch. one goal for butler and he'll go on a scoring run.

kinsella man of the match according to radio wm, great to see him back in the team - hopefully he'll want to play more.

Butler will not score many goals until we get a decent forward alongside him to replace Sam. At the moment he is getting no help no help at all and due to our style of play is having to spend most of the match chasing lost causes. When Sam (2 goals although he has started nearly every game) does get chances he is missing them as per last monday night. It is rumoured that DD has someone lined up for when the transfer window opens and I hope this is true. One goal or none per game dont half put pressure on our defence, it only needs one mistake.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:38 pm

Well, DD 'mixed it up' and we get a better performance, from the sounds of it. The results keep coming, but it is reassuring to put in a good display too - we really needed that. I'm sure that Kinsella had a lot to do with this - as many on this board have indicated over a number of weeks.

Six points clear. Marvellous.

UTS

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:48 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

No i didn't notice...so anyway sheffield...tell me what you thought of the game today...did we play well?

swillw

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Tricky fixture, excellent result. :D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:53 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
1933 wrote:
sid swifty wrote:well done lads...6pts clear now...and from what i heard on the radio at long last they have started to play a bit more like league leaders...but i will reserve judgement until my 2 sons get back and tell me their account of the game.

if they say we played badly are we going to get a mini-rant from you again?

we got the 3 points away from home when the majority of people on here expected a point at most!

some walsall fans are never happy... evidence: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A17448159
I dont give a flying fudge what other people think...i make my own mind up as to wether i enjoy a football match or not...if i dont like it i may well have a rant...if i do like it i will describe how much i have enjoyed watching it...but what i wont put up with is people telling me how disloyal i am...and how i should like it nomatter how they play.

You may happen to have noticed that Hereford were one of form teams in division perhaps swifty?
1 loss in 7 matches, including wins over Swindon and MK Dons!
Oh, you may also notice they have one of best home records in division.

I for one would have been happy with a point today, 3 I am over joyed!
Well done the lads!
However you played a great result and 6 points clear!
sid swifty wrote:
well done lads...6pts clear now...and from what i heard on the radio at long last they have started to play a bit more like league leaders...but i will reserve judgement until my 2 sons get back and tell me their account of the game.

Thats what i wrote...what the hell is wrong with that?

Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:58 pm

what are you reserving judgement on though? Clean-sheet, away from home - playing like league-leaders.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:02 pm

1933 wrote:what are you reserving judgement on though? Clean-sheet, away from home - playing like league-leaders.
I want to wait and see what the burgers and pies were like at Edgar st.... :roll:

Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:07 pm

sid swifty wrote:
1933 wrote:what are you reserving judgement on though? Clean-sheet, away from home - playing like league-leaders.
I want to wait and see what the burgers and pies were like at Edgar st.... :roll:

:lol: fair enough, i misunderstood you! :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:12 pm

1933 wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

:lol: fair enough, i misunderstood you! :wink:
:D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:26 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Yeah were defensive, we only have the best goal difference and the 2nd best attack, defensive! and with 15 players scoring, not too bad is it ? UTS!
Glad your pleased metfan...and if we play well against notts county that'll make 2 of us wont it?.. :wink:

toffo
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:35 pm

Decent performance today, the better team by far.

Ince made one stupendous save, back four was solid, Kinsella did a good job and Keates ran his socks off.
Stonewall penalty when Butler was sent sprawling in the box as well.

Ishy did a great job of harrassing their defence when he came on and i swear he kept the ball in when he "scored".

Ref seemed to give them nearly everything in the last ten minutes, he was poor today.

It was just like the old days with minnie the moocher making three appearances and even one step beyond was greeted with great exuberance.

I just want to say what a shambles it was trying to get in the ground.
I stood in the queue at 2.20 and got in the ground at 2.58. I was lucky, there were hundreds of walsall fans still outside at kick off and some did not get in till 3.20. Totally unacceptable.
There was one little turnstile available for tickets and cash paying customers. They decided to open another turnstile at 3.01,.......... totally pathetic.

Loads of police as well, they even closed part of the town off and were stationed outside most of the pubs. They must have been expecting some trouble but i did not see anything.

Oh yeah..... the bogs, cant find words to describe them but the old bogs at fellows park were luxurious in comparison.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:39 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Fat Controller's Report

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... gap-grows/

You may wish to re-word the penalty debate to say that Butler was clearly a number of yards offside in the first place, so it balanced itself out really as he was offside to start with.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:39 pm

What a MASSIVE win that is, 6 points clear love it!!!!

Happy to be a saddler once again on a saturday night.

UTS!

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:25 pm

finnally keates out of the centre of midfield and kinsella in. why dickie hasnt played that all season i dont know as it worked at the start!!!
Glad to see wrighty dropped too, might give him a kick up the a**e to start showing some commitment!!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:33 pm

I'd like to see kinsella given a good run in the team...it wasn't all that long ago that he was in the premier league...we have enough snott and blood players in the team...would be interested to see if Butler comes back into form with a midfielder who can create rather than tackle...we still need a creative midfieder and an experienced striker (in the rambo mold) whatever happens between now and the transfer window.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:38 pm

Great result today. Again it was against a really poor team, but we always looked more likely to score another than to concede.

Great to see us so clearly winning the midfield battle having not done so for a while. What a difference Kinsella made - he was everywhere, creating space for himself (and everyone else), a really good mixture of both short and long passes, even nearly scored from a flukey overhead. An exhibition of midfield football - the best player on the pitch by a million miles.

Sam disappointed again, he just doesn't seem on the pace at all.

Weird set-up on the wings. Hope Wrack isn't injured again but it was a blessing in disguise when he went off because neither he nor his colleague on the left wing had put a single cross in during the first half. Wright was fairly poor as well but at least he makes runs, takes defenders away and sometimes puts some crosses in.

Clayton Ince's save (when it was still 0-0) was unbelievable, you won't see a better save than that all season, diving down to his right to somehow palm the ball round the post when the forward struck it quite hard from only a couple of yards out - a breathtaking save.

Well done the lads!

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:39 pm

Forgot to say how good the back four played, good especially to see Westwood do so well, he's clearly got to be the first choice now.

Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:45 pm

I'm sure i have read on here that it is a case of Kinsella not wanting to play in every game? But if he play's like he did today he'll not have much chance in the matter!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:52 pm

Just got back and I am pleased to report that that was the best performance away from home this season. At last we looked like a team that is at the top of the league, players full of confidence, good passing, tight defensive play and an outstanding performance from the oldest man on the field, Kinsella. The first 20 mins were good with Hereford hardly getting a sniff of the ball as we dominated the play, what a contrast to our last dour performance away from home, it looked like the players had something to prove as they hardly used the long ball but instead prefered to pass the ball around and keep possession. It was a delight to watch as Kinsella produced a number of exquisite passes from some times impossible positions. I thought that wrack seemed a little of the pace before he went off just before halftime but apart from him only Keates looked ordinary in the first half. It has already been mentioned but there was one outstanding save from Ince after a lucky deflection reached one of their cabbages up front, he surely is one of the main reasons we are currently top with the best defensive record in the division, he has contributed so much to the teams confidence with his dominant play and he appears to be able to give that reassurance to the rest of the defence who have an explicit trust in his descision making in particular when coming for crosses [he does sometimes get it wrong but who has never made a mistake]
Support from the fans was by far the best at an away game that I have attended this season and I particarily enjoyed the Minnie the Moocher renditions. I'll have to mention a rather poor performance by the referee in particular the nailed on penalty decision when Butler ahead of his man was felled from behind by a rather crude tackle. Obvious penalty, no other decision seemed possible. Not sure why the referee played 6 mins and 16secs extra time during which time he awarded 7 free kicks to Hereford, probably the most absurd was one given against Asbo in the centre circle for falling backwards into one of their players.
Well three points for Dickie Doshes men, I feel more than happy this evening having seen us play a little more football than the normal dull performance I have come to expect.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:01 pm

you have basically confirmed what my 2 sons have said cully...keep it up guys.

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:11 pm

excellent win today, the result is even better because 2nd place slipped up, extending our lead at the top just before the big pile up of christmas fixtures arrive

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:16 pm

SAVE!

Glitterati

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:25 pm

fantastic pic! where did you get it from?

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:30 pm

toffo wrote:I just want to say what a shambles it was trying to get in the ground.
I stood in the queue at 2.20 and got in the ground at 2.58. I was lucky, there were hundreds of walsall fans still outside at kick off and some did not get in till 3.20. Totally unacceptable.
There was one little turnstile available for tickets and cash paying customers. They decided to open another turnstile at 3.01,.......... totally pathetic.

If the cattle in the market next door to the ground were treated half as badly as our fans were today there'd be questions asked in the House!

We too joined the end of the queue before 2:30 and only just made in inside before KO. At that point the queue was a lot longer than it had been when we joined it! 1 turnstile open for terrace, and 1 for the seats - and didn't matter if you were paying cash or had already got a ticket you still had to wait in the same line.

All the stewards were from Walsall, just there to keep order amongst waiting fans without any control over what was going on. The main man outside said that the club had informed Hereford we would be taking at least 1200-1300, and that it had been obvious there weren't enough turnstiles early on but they still refused to open more. I asked him if KO would be delayed as it was obvious there would still be loads of fans outside at 3:00; he said it was up to ref to make that call upon advice from police - obviously the fact that the pavement was totally blocked and people were forced to walk amongst the cars on the main road didn't consitute a safety issue to to the boys in blue! When the cheer went up as the players came onto the pitch the inevitable pushing started as people were desperate to get in.

Once inside, both seats and terrace turnstiles opened into same courtyard. We were directed to the bit on the side under the stands - which only had enough space for about 300 at the front with a clear view - everybody else would have at least 1 concrete pillar blocking their view of most of the pitch. The one clear bit was on the halfway line - but you couldn't stand there because it was reserved for ambulance access! I asked the steward there why we were in this poxy area (the turnstile was actually marked "overflow area") rather than the usual bit we get in the corner. He told me Hereford had said they would give the OK to open the connecting gate to it only when there were more than 900 fans inside - he thought it must have been close to that already and he'd been told there were at least 500 still outside!

When they did open the gate there was an almighty crush of people trying to go through to where there was a partially decent view and a bit of space. They almost immediatley tried to close it again as it looked the main exit gates had been rushed by people outside trying to get in and the police came wading in. So by the time most of the people outside (some with tickets) did get in, the decent(ish) area was closed off again and it started to get nasty around the connecting gate because they wanted to come into where the main body were (there was loads of space too!)

Mind you, the ones on the side at least had access to bogs (which I agree were worse than Fellows Park) and the refreshment kiosk.

£13 to stand in a cramped end with a crap view of the pitch? People with advance tickets missing over 20 minutes of the game even though they were there in plenty of time? A total and utter shambles from Hereford and the local constabulary, and I think an apology or 2 and/or at least a partial refund in order.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:41 pm

sid swifty wrote:you have basically confirmed what my 2 sons have said cully...keep it up guys.

Glad to see your seal of approval Sid :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:43 pm

Andy W Taylor wrote:
toffo wrote:I just want to say what a shambles it was trying to get in the ground.

If the cattle in the market next door to the ground were treated half as badly as our fans were today there'd be questions asked in the House!

We too joined the end of the queue before 2:30 and only just made in inside before KO. At that point the queue was a lot longer than it had been when we joined it! 1 turnstile open for terrace, and 1 for the seats - and didn't matter if you were paying cash or had already got a ticket you still had to wait in the same line.

All the stewards were from Walsall, just there to keep order amongst waiting fans without any control over what was going on. The main man outside said that the club had informed Hereford we would be taking at least 1200-1300, and that it had been obvious there weren't enough turnstiles early on but they still refused to open more. I asked him if KO would be delayed as it was obvious there would still be loads of fans outside at 3:00; he said it was up to ref to make that call upon advice from police - obviously the fact that the pavement was totally blocked and people were forced to walk amongst the cars on the main road didn't consitute a safety issue to to the boys in blue! When the cheer went up as the players came onto the pitch the inevitable pushing started as people were desperate to get in.

Once inside, both seats and terrace turnstiles opened into same courtyard. We were directed to the bit on the side under the stands - which only had enough space for about 300 at the front with a clear view - everybody else would have at least 1 concrete pillar blocking their view of most of the pitch. The one clear bit was on the halfway line - but you couldn't stand there because it was reserved for ambulance access! I asked the steward there why we were in this poxy area (the turnstile was actually marked "overflow area") rather than the usual bit we get in the corner. He told me Hereford had said they would give the OK to open the connecting gate to it only when there were more than 900 fans inside - he thought it must have been close to that already and he'd been told there were at least 500 still outside!

When they did open the gate there was an almighty crush of people trying to go through to where there was a partially decent view and a bit of space. They almost immediatley tried to close it again as it looked the main exit gates had been rushed by people outside trying to get in and the police came wading in. So by the time most of the people outside (some with tickets) did get in, the decent(ish) area was closed off again and it started to get nasty around the connecting gate because they wanted to come into where the main body were (there was loads of space too!)

Mind you, the ones on the side at least had access to bogs (which I agree were worse than Fellows Park) and the refreshment kiosk.

£13 to stand in a cramped end with a crap view of the pitch? People with advance tickets missing over 20 minutes of the game even though they were there in plenty of time? A total and utter shambles from Hereford and the local constabulary, and I think an apology or 2 and/or at least a partial refund in order.

I hope Walsall take up the cause and complain - they have obviously said how many would be going, and Hereford hadn't listened. Ridiculous.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season