Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hereford United (A) League - Saturday 18/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Percie
Glitterati

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:50 am

Amazing yesterday. Best away game since Lincoln IMO. Brilliant support too, I was plesently suprised at the number of fans we actually took. Looked to be around the 1,300 to me. Game was great an all, we actually looked like we were a top of the league team, at times. That stand behind the goal is superb for atmosphere. Everyone was singing and dancing, a proper away game. :D

For the first time this season, I have actually had the feeling that I was witnessing a promotion season. The good times are back. Roll on Tuesday! :D

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:07 pm

1173 away fans I believe

EASY EASY EASY EASY

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:17 pm

Stu wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:No.I'm not even sure how they thought that.

They were absolutely adamant, both of them, that he was clearly offside.

But if the decision was not given for offside then surely we should have been given the penalty?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:19 pm

saddlerken wrote:1173 away fans I believe

EASY EASY EASY EASY

If that figure is correct then it's even more unbelievably bad organisation by Hereford. The club ticket office had sold 900 by Thursday, so and extra 300 is no surprise at all.

I'm livid about what happened yesterday, Hereford should be ashamed of themselves, and I hope Walsall FC will fight our case for us. That could very easily have turned nasty yesterday, but thankfully our fans are always mild mannered.

If you ask me, Hereford should be expelled from the league. On another day, with slighty more fans, that could have turned very nasty and ended up with someone getting hurt - not the kind of publicity anyone needs. Something needs to be done about that club before something goes wrong. It was that kind of ignoring of rules and health and safety issues that created the problem at Hillsborough. Pre-emptive action should be taken against:

1. Hereford United FC for their pisspoor organisation, which caused dangerous situations for Walsall FC staff and Hereford Police. Also their [alleged] refused cooperation should be looked in to.

2. Hereford Police for being merely a passive presence and providing no use whatsoever, and failing to stamp their authority on the situation to resolve the situation.

toffo
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:41 pm

Apart from the fact that we could not get in, what got me the most was watching a mother with a pushchair having to walk on the busy main road because we were all blocking the footpath waiting to get in the ground..
There was a crossing nearby but she still had to walk on the road to get to it.

All this happened with coppers and stewards standing idly by when it could all have been sorted out so easily.

And there was nearly a crash when one car pulled into the middle of the road to avoid folks walking down the main road to join the back of the queue.

Okay it was bad that we missed a bit of the game but it could have been a lot worse with someone getting seriously hurt or even killed.

We were treated like s**t and as paying customers it really was piss poor. I for one will write a letter of complaint to HUFC but as usual i expect no reply or action to be taken against the incompetents who were in charge yesterday.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:04 pm

toffo wrote:Apart from the fact that we could not get in, what got me the most was watching a mother with a pushchair having to walk on the busy main road because we were all blocking the footpath waiting to get in the ground..
There was a crossing nearby but she still had to walk on the road to get to it.

All this happened with coppers and stewards standing idly by when it could all have been sorted out so easily.

And there was nearly a crash when one car pulled into the middle of the road to avoid folks walking down the main road to join the back of the queue.

Okay it was bad that we missed a bit of the game but it could have been a lot worse with someone getting seriously hurt or even killed.

We were treated like s**t and as paying customers it really was pee poor. I for one will write a letter of complaint to HUFC but as usual i expect no reply or action to be taken against the incompetents who were in charge yesterday.

I've just written to Roy Whalley - obviously not to complain at WFC, but to implore them to do something about this. Complaining to HUFC wont get you anywhere I dont think as they will merely throw the letter away. Afterall, they turned down a police request to delay kick off, they're hardly going to be responsive to a letter. I'm think our best route is to bombard Walsall FC with complaints in the hope they will be forced in to making a formal complaint to the FA.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:05 pm

This is what i've just sent to RW...

I'd like to register my disgust at the trouble I and many, many others had getting in to the ground at Hereford United yesterday [18/11/2006]. For the record my friends and I didn't get in to the ground until 320pm, despite having tickets and despite being in the queue at 225pm. Whatsmore the situation was dangerous due to the queues overspilling to a busy road, and the mini-riot that occured when fans forced an exit gate open around 310pm. It was lucky, and mainly due to the mild nature of Walsall fans that no further 'unpleasent' scenes occurred, or that the violence there was didn't escolate.

The Police were of little help, very rude, and were very heavy handed with fans of all ages, both male and female. The police were antagonistic and happily goading fans by filming them - even though we as a club have one of the best behaved set of supporters around.

Walsall F.C stewards were present, but were obviously in the dark as to why only 2 turnstiles were open for around 1,200 fans.

Obviously Walsall F.C are not to blame for what happened at Edgar St, however, I feel it is important that you are made aware of hows fans were treated, despite Hereford F.C and the local police having been made aware of the likely travelling attendance.

I'd say around 900 fans missed kick off by 10 minutes or more, many missed up to 30 minutes, and as you can appreciate this constituted a health and safety risk, and could easily have turned in to a very unpleasent situation for both clubs - despite the Police and Hereford United FC having the power to delay kick off. As such, I hope that Walsall F.C will make a formal and very strong complaint to the relevant organising bodies on behalf of its fans.

Roy, I hope you can appreciate that this situation is a disgrace to professional football that shouldn't occur nowadays. It did turn nasty - thankfully only briefly, but I implore you to take this matter forward before someone is hurt. This kind of poor organisation, total lack of co-operation and ill discipline on the part of Hereford United FC and Hereford police must not be allowed to continue.

I would be happy to discuss this issues with you further should you wish to.

Thanks

Phil Burton

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:15 pm

Good letter, Phil. I was lucky enough to get into the ground with about 15 minutes to go to kick-off, having queued from about 2:10 pm. The debacle could have turned very unpleasant, even tragic and HUFC need to understand that they cannot treat paying customers with such contempt. Judging by the comments of passing locals, and HUFC fans, it is clearly not the first time this has happened, but it should be the last.

On the match, just like to echo the excellent reports already posted by Cully etc. Kinsella was a class apart, Dann, Roper and Ince could be still playing now and not concede a goal. Pleased with Westwood's and Ish's contributions too and in my view they both deserve a run in the team now they have both broken back into it. An excellent, and potentially pivotal win.

UTS!

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:11 pm

philthesaddler wrote:This is what i've just sent to RW...

I'd like to register my disgust at the trouble I and many, many others had getting in to the ground at Hereford United yesterday [18/11/2006]. For the record my friends and I didn't get in to the ground until 320pm, despite having tickets and despite being in the queue at 225pm. Whatsmore the situation was dangerous due to the queues overspilling to a busy road, and the mini-riot that occured when fans forced an exit gate open around 310pm. It was lucky, and mainly due to the mild nature of Walsall fans that no further 'unpleasent' scenes occurred, or that the violence there was didn't escolate.

The Police were of little help, very rude, and were very heavy handed with fans of all ages, both male and female. The police were antagonistic and happily goading fans by filming them - even though we as a club have one of the best behaved set of supporters around.

Walsall F.C stewards were present, but were obviously in the dark as to why only 2 turnstiles were open for around 1,200 fans.

Obviously Walsall F.C are not to blame for what happened at Edgar St, however, I feel it is important that you are made aware of hows fans were treated, despite Hereford F.C and the local police having been made aware of the likely travelling attendance.

I'd say around 900 fans missed kick off by 10 minutes or more, many missed up to 30 minutes, and as you can appreciate this constituted a health and safety risk, and could easily have turned in to a very unpleasent situation for both clubs - despite the Police and Hereford United FC having the power to delay kick off. As such, I hope that Walsall F.C will make a formal and very strong complaint to the relevant organising bodies on behalf of its fans.

Roy, I hope you can appreciate that this situation is a disgrace to professional football that shouldn't occur nowadays. It did turn nasty - thankfully only briefly, but I implore you to take this matter forward before someone is hurt. This kind of poor organisation, total lack of co-operation and ill discipline on the part of Hereford United FC and Hereford police must not be allowed to continue.

I would be happy to discuss this issues with you further should you wish to.

Thanks

Phil Burton

Good letter mate, Hopefully RW will do something about it.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:43 pm

King Crimson wrote:Good letter, Phil. I was lucky enough to get into the ground with about 15 minutes to go to kick-off, having queued from about 2:10 pm. The debacle could have turned very unpleasant, even tragic and HUFC need to understand that they cannot treat paying customers with such contempt. Judging by the comments of passing locals, and HUFC fans, it is clearly not the first time this has happened, but it should be the last.

On the match, just like to echo the excellent reports already posted by Cully etc. Kinsella was a class apart, Dann, Roper and Ince could be still playing now and not concede a goal. Pleased with Westwood's and Ish's contributions too and in my view they both deserve a run in the team now they have both broken back into it. An excellent, and potentially pivotal win.

UTS!

Your last paragraph somes the game up perfectly, and it is a pivitol win, no doubt about it, we went there struggling for form, they where on a roll, beaten a lot of the top sides recentely, and we did a superb job on them

Should have had what was a stone wall penalty, for a foul on Butler, had a goal chalked off, didn't see if it went out myself, but many where saying it didn't, and all in all we never looked like conceeding at any point in the game

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:55 am

What another superb away day.

I'm much happier after this game as Dickie made the changes many of us had asked for. He knows that Kinsella hasn't got the legs to last all game in a four man midfield and many of us couldn't decide whether to drop Keates or Dobson, so he does the genius thing of playing them all which gave us the defensive cover of Dobson and Keates but the creativity of Kinsella.

I really would go 4-5-1 away from home and use this tactic more often.

He also dropped Wright which many people wanted (not me) and it had the right effect even though he was only missing for 45 mins he looked livlier than he had done in recent weeks...AND he bought Ishy on with plenty of time to go and didn't we look much the better for it. If only we'd done the same on Monday night we wouldn't have to endure this replay tomorrow.

As I have said all along I have no problem with winning 1-0 as long as we create enough cchances to nick the 1 goal, and we did that on Saturday. In fact I couldn't see anything wrong with Ishy's goal either although I haven't seen it since I'm sure it didn't go out of play.

Minnie the Moocher, One Step Beyond and the fact I was lucky to not get stuck in the queues made it all better.

Finally, thanks to the big bloke in the white hooded top who caught me as I headed for the front row after slipping on the mud dancing to One Step Beyond. :lol:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:08 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:What another superb away day.

I'm much happier after this game as Dickie made the changes many of us had asked for. He knows that Kinsella hasn't got the legs to last all game in a four man midfield and many of us couldn't decide whether to drop Keates or Dobson, so he does the genius thing of playing them all which gave us the defensive cover of Dobson and Keates but the creativity of Kinsella.

I really would go 4-5-1 away from home and use this tactic more often.

He also dropped Wright which many people wanted (not me) and it had the right effect even though he was only missing for 45 mins he looked livlier than he had done in recent weeks...AND he bought Ishy on with plenty of time to go and didn't we look much the better for it. If only we'd done the same on Monday night we wouldn't have to endure this replay tomorrow.

As I have said all along I have no problem with winning 1-0 as long as we create enough cchances to nick the 1 goal, and we did that on Saturday. In fact I couldn't see anything wrong with Ishy's goal either although I haven't seen it since I'm sure it didn't go out of play.

Agree with all that. I think Wright did well when he came on, and that Wrack was struggling a little prior to his knock. I think Wright plays better with Westwood rather than Pead behind him. That may be a reason for Westwood's inclusion in the side rather than Pead (plus the obvious aerial prowess at both ends of the pitch). A brilliant away day - especially valuable because I don't get to go to many!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Percie wrote:Amazing yesterday. Best away game since Lincoln IMO. Brilliant support too, I was plesently suprised at the number of fans we actually took. Looked to be around the 1,300 to me. Game was great an all, we actually looked like we were a top of the league team, at times. That stand behind the goal is superb for atmosphere. Everyone was singing and dancing, a proper away game. :D

For the first time this season, I have actually had the feeling that I was witnessing a promotion season. The good times are back. Roll on Tuesday! :D

That 14th place predicition you gave is still looking good! :P

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:16 pm

Only listened to the game on t'radio so I'm probably talking out of my ar5e (nothing changes eh ? :wink: ).

It seemed to be a much more linked-up performance if you know what I mean. The first half still sounded as if chances were at a premium.

We upped the tempo and pace of the game and scored the goal. Now what was I was saying last week about us brushing teams aside if only we could up the tempo ? :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:55 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Only listened to the game on t'radio so I'm probably talking out of my ar5e (nothing changes eh ? :wink: ).

It seemed to be a much more linked-up performance if you know what I mean. The first half still sounded as if chances were at a premium.

We upped the tempo and pace of the game and scored the goal. Now what was I was saying last week about us brushing teams aside if only we could up the tempo ? :wink:

I don't mind us keeping it tight in the first half away from home. As long as we up the tempo as you say which we did and went for it unlike in other away games.

And there was much more of a link between defence, midfield and attack, especially when Ishy came on because we had the outlet we have missed so much recently.

Ishy up front instead of Sam for me. Sam wouldn't have even attempted that cheeky finish that Ishy put away so well which was wrongly disallowed. Not good, especially as it took nearly 30 seconds of jumping around for me to realise. :oops: :twisted:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:03 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Ishy up front instead of Sam for me. Sam wouldn't have even attempted that cheeky finish that Ishy put away so well which was wrongly disallowed. Not good, especially as it took nearly 30 seconds of jumping around for me to realise. :oops: :twisted:

Been there, done that ....... sooooo many times :oops: :roll:

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Ishy up front instead of Sam for me. Sam wouldn't have even attempted that cheeky finish that Ishy put away so well which was wrongly disallowed. Not good, especially as it took nearly 30 seconds of jumping around for me to realise. :oops: :twisted:

Been there, done that ....... sooooo many times :oops: :roll:

Then as it goes quiet you hear in the distance.....

aaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

sit down shut up.

:oops:

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:14 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:Only listened to the game on t'radio so I'm probably talking out of my ar5e (nothing changes eh ? :wink: ).

I don't mind us keeping it tight in the first half away from home. As long as we up the tempo as you say which we did and went for it unlike in other away games.

And there was much more of a link between defence, midfield and attack, especially when Ishy came on because we had the outlet we have missed so much recently.

Ishy up front instead of Sam for me. Sam wouldn't have even attempted that cheeky finish that Ishy put away so well which was wrongly disallowed. Not good, especially as it took nearly 30 seconds of jumping around for me to realise. :oops: :twisted:

Mark , did you think Dobson was any better playing along side Kinsella ?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:57 pm

I don't know I was pissed. :lol:

But I know Kinsella was the best player on show and as we have all said for a while he should be playing or at least coming on from the bench if we need some creativity.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:07 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I don't know I was pissed. :lol:

But I know Kinsella was the best player on show and as we have all said for a while he should be playing or at least coming on from the bench if we need some creativity.

sounds a good day out Mark :lol:

Agreed about Kinsella , WM said he looked good the whole 90 plus minutes
and seemed to enjoy the game. He's by far our best midfielder .

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I don't know I was pissed. :lol:

Can't say i noticed :D

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season