Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Macclesfield Town (A) FA Cup 1st Round 13/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
ws3
Glitterati

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

hodgy for chile wrote:That was the worst football match I have ever seen. Macclesfield could have played for three years and not scored. They are a non-league club, and so they should be. Two players dominated the whole show...Dann and Roper. I didn't see Walsall have a single shot on target. It was absolutely dismal. Mid-field was able to destroy but not create. Our wing backs were slow, unskilfull and clueless.
Butler must be as bored as the rest of us. There was no ball control, no speed, little incisive passing, and precious few shots. What else is football about?
I think back to the skills of Kelly, McMorran, Baker, Hodgkisson, Buckley, ...And to think we're top of the league!!!

And up until he got sent off the man in most danger from Pead was the guy in row M close to the half way line.

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:19 pm

A result as for the score,but the performance stopped nothing short of inept.We must shake it up somehow in the middle of the park.(Any suggestions).A plus from the Pead horror tackle means Westwood comes back in.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:20 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
cheesebag wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:Very disappointed in the substitutions. It was crying out for a bit of quality from ASBODEMON.

Me and the missus were saying the same with 30 minutes to go.

He was ready to come on - then Pead tried to put a player in the stand instead of the ball!

That was with 10 minutes left. He should have been on at half time
I agree - said the same to my wife, just after I had woken her up!

I agree too - texted it to my only friend with ten minutes to go - they did not answer :cry:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:20 pm

Just heard Money on WM. His comments are more worrying than the performance - "A good, feisty cuptie/We did well upto the final third/Pead was unlucky".

Discuss.

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Pathetic! In front of Merson, that was a truly Mersonesque display (well, except we didn't gift them any goals).

We need another midfielder! Now! Dobson was excellent tonight, but we need someone alongside him who can create. Butler was feeding on scraps and Sam just had the two snapshots which came out of nowhere. Wrack did all right when he came on, maybe we should try him in the middle with Dobson?

And for God's sake - where's Constable?

Which game were you watching to come to the conclusion that Dobbo was excellent. :shock:
I think we need more than one.
Last edited by Maverick on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:23 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Just heard Money on WM. His comments are more worrying than the performance - "A good, feisty cuptie/We did well upto the final third/Pead was unlucky".

Discuss.

Perhaps he was at a different game.

It is after all the final third where the game is won. Unfortunately we were never in it. Pead unlucky????? Don't understand that comment at all.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:26 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:
We need another midfielder! Now! Dobson was excellent tonight, but we need someone alongside him who can create.

Excellent is pushing it but he did a super defensive job. He's very good with a square pass, ask him to do more that and he struggles.

We need an Alex Taylor or Eric Skora type but maybe Wrack can do a job in central midfield supporting the front two.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Maverick wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:Pathetic! In front of Merson, that was a truly Mersonesque display (well, except we didn't gift them any goals).

We need another midfielder! Now! Dobson was excellent tonight, but we need someone alongside him who can create. Butler was feeding on scraps and Sam just had the two snapshots which came out of nowhere. Wrack did all right when he came on, maybe we should try him in the middle with Dobson?

And for God's sake - where's Constable?

Which game were you watching to come to the conclusion that Dobbo was excellent. :shock:
I think we need more than one.

He did his job - break up play, then lay off the simple pass. It'll only work if there's someone beside him to get into the space between Dobson and the strikers, and we haven't got anyone at the moment who's doing that - Fox is not an attacking outlet on the left wing, Keates just tries to do the same as Dobson only not as well (but he's a local lad, so everyone must adore him) and so we're left with Wright as the only option, so it's not hard for the opposition to work out how to stop us (stop Wright, you stop us).

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:28 pm

ws3 wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Just heard Money on WM. His comments are more worrying than the performance - "A good, feisty cuptie/We did well upto the final third/Pead was unlucky".

Discuss.

Perhaps he was at a different game.

It is after all the final third where the game is won. Unfortunately we were never in it. Pead unlucky????? Don't understand that comment at all.

Unlucky when he kicked every second ball over the roof of the stand, or unlucky when he tried but failed to break someone's leg?

Mozza_saddler

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:28 pm

poor performance, didnt have anything going forward, highlight of the game was when about 30 balls got kicked on the pitch :D

never mind, we should beat them at the bescot!

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:30 pm

cyclothymic wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
cheesebag wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:Very disappointed in the substitutions. It was crying out for a bit of quality from ASBODEMON.

Me and the missus were saying the same with 30 minutes to go.

He was ready to come on - then Pead tried to put a player in the stand instead of the ball!

That was with 10 minutes left. He should have been on at half time
I agree - said the same to my wife, just after I had woken her up!

I agree too - texted it to my only friend with ten minutes to go - they did not answer :cry:

I also whisperred it to the parrot who repeated " they were a load of bollox" :oops:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:30 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:
We need another midfielder! Now! Dobson was excellent tonight, but we need someone alongside him who can create.

Excellent is pushing it but he did a super defensive job. He's very good with a square pass, ask him to do more that and he struggles.

We need an Alex Taylor or Eric Skora type but maybe Wrack can do a job in central midfield supporting the front two.

I would be inclined to give Wrack a run partnering Butler, with Kinsella coming in for Keates, Westwood in at right back and Demontagnac starting on the left [replacing Fox]. At least until we can get some reinforcements in.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:38 pm

I am going out on a limb here to say that i reckon Pead was unlucky to be sent off. I didnt think his challenge was anything more than reckless and deserved no more than a yellow. In my view the challenge by Bedeau a couple of minutes later was worse

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Not a good game, but at least we're still in the bl00dy competition!!

The Bonus being that I heard B@st@rd Man, very clearly.
That, in itself, was worth the Sky Subscription fee!

:D :D :D

Mozza_saddler

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Jeremy Busby wrote:I am going out on a limb here to say that i reckon Pead was unlucky to be sent off. I didnt think his challenge was anything more than reckless and deserved no more than a yellow. In my view the challenge by Bedeau a couple of minutes later was worse

definate sending off in my opinion, both feet off the floor and from what i saw i dont think bedeau even made that much contact, correct me if im wrong

kevin
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Pead unlucky????? Don't understand that comment at all.

Imo......................it was a matter of whether Pead or the Macc bloke got the over the top tackle in first,and Pead won.Neither had control of the ball,and both were hell bent inflicting grief.
Last edited by kevin on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:44 pm

Mozza_saddler wrote:
Jeremy Busby wrote:I am going out on a limb here to say that i reckon Pead was unlucky to be sent off. I didnt think his challenge was anything more than reckless and deserved no more than a yellow. In my view the challenge by Bedeau a couple of minutes later was worse

definate sending off in my opinion, both feet off the floor and from what i saw i dont think bedeau even made that much contact, correct me if im wrong

You could be right about Pead but look at the Macc player, was he as bad??

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:44 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:

I would be inclined to give Wrack a run partnering Butler, with Kinsella coming in for Keates, Westwood in at right back and Demontagnac starting on the left [replacing Fox]. At least until we can get some reinforcements in.

Can't we be more attack minded as the defence is very sound, My team would be

Ince

Gerrard Roper Dann Fox

Wrack Dobson Kinsella Demontagnac

Butler Constable.

Mozza_saddler

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:

Can't we be more attack minded as the defence is very sound, My team would be

Ince

Gerrard Roper Dann Fox

Wrack Dobson Kinsella Demontagnac

Butler Constable.

looks good, a bit unsure about gerrard right back but other than that i dont see why not

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:04 pm

Saw the game live on Sky, no commentary thankfully, so I didn't have to suffer fools.

My thoughts? The side were appalling, had no idea what to do with the ball, no game plan, little in the way of defence or impact, a bit dirty when they inevitably got frustrated at being so useless, and never, ever a threat.

Enough about Macclesfield. We should have dominated that game, and should have buried what was one of the worst teams I've seen, NZ Knights aside, although only just.

My comments from my scrap of paper:

Pead's distribution is atrocious, he's better to run with the ball and try a short pass instead of hoofing it into touch.

Playing hoof up the park does not work when the forwards are slow / slight.

Walsall cannot pass straight - have we beren training on playing the angles all week, as it was very pretty, but ultimately useless - very few passes found their intended target, and it was only because Macc were so poor that we stayed in the game. The answer to our poor possession statistics (stat attack thread) is obvious once you watch a match.

Hector Sam. What can I say? He's slower than my dad, who's got an artificial hip, and falls over at the faintest touch. On the evidence of this display he is also a very lazy & selfish player, and it's a shame that our two best chances fell to him instead of Butler. He does have a good first touch when the ball is played to him, but too often he's not creating space, or running off the ball, and that's a passenger in my eyes. Butler on the other hand never stopped running.

Midfield played deep, which I gather is the norm, and it looked as though we were going straight from wingback to forwards, with the midfield protecting the defence rather than supporting the attack. No teeth in that department, and it shows.

Comedy moment - when all the extra footballs came flying over the home stand! Very funny.

Lots of our play going forwards ended up going down the left channel. Do our team not trust Mark Wright, or were Macclesfield paying so much attention to him that the natural outlet was the other flank?

Pead's red card - idiot. Saw him try to back out of a challenge he was already committed to, but he was way too late. I think this was born of the frustration in Walsall at being so much tidier than Macclesfield, and more evidence of that came with the yellows later.

Overall, a poor display, but one goal could have made it an away win (I don't think we were ever in danger of losing). There's enough there to give me hope. Clean sheet, organised defence, but we're in desperate need of a midfield that knows it can attack as well as defend, some work on direct passing in training, a striker who is better than Sam and a little extra pace if we're going to try wingbacks away. We're quite tidy, we clean up well, mostly support each other, are very fit, and continued to chase for the full 90, even when down to ten men, and macclesfield really didn't deserve more than the draw we gave them.

I think we'll be lucky to keep Money beyond the end of the season - he's worth more than this, and I hope he has targets for the January transfer window, and funding in place - promotion is the only way he'll hang around, I think. Ince on the other hand must feel like Merson did - as if he's inherited a load of dross that he's got no idea what to do with. Best of luck to him - they were absolute pants.

So, in the end, I know we're not great, but we looked better than the divisional standard, and that's all we need to get out of here. Just a couple of tweaks to this team and it'll run rings round everyone in league two, and should be more than capable of staying up next year.

Shad

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:17 pm

My first post in a while and I agree with some of what has been said.

In September I moved to Derby for uni and apart from the McDons match this is the only other match I have seen since then. So I thourght I'd get the rest of the halls to come down to the bar to watch the match, after all we are top of the league and the football I saw earlier in the season before I left was nothing short of quality. How wrong could I be.

First Hector Sam, I understand the criticism I regually hear but tonight, in my opinion he was far superior to Butler *puts on tin hat*. Sam may be lazy and slow but I'm concerned what that makes Butler on tonights performance.

Second Pead, lets just say infuriating shall we. The benifit of watching a game in a bar is that you always have the option of reaching for vodka, and thats what his performance today sent me to. The sending off was foolish but in his defence he did seem to go to the ball but it was from behind and two footed, so what do you expect.

I agree that this game called out for ASBODEMON I think he oculd have been the difference between a wind and a replay.

On the plus side I thourght Dann (MOTM) and Roper performed well, aswell as Dobbo.

And finally at the moment I'm not one of the people calling for a new midfielder because we have one. Kinsella!

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:17 pm

Some good summing up there Exy.

I agree re. Sam, although I thought he had a better game today than recent games.

Looking at the replays of the Pead sending off I can have no arguments, but how the hell did it take the ref 6 or 7 seconds to blow ?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:29 pm

It was crap, theres my summary.

Best part of it was the abuse thrown at Merson, he took the bait.

Shad

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:32 pm

Did anything happen between the fans and M*rson? He looked a bit upset at half time but the sound was down so I might have just been reading between the lines?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Some good summing up there Exy.

I agree re. Sam, although I thought he had a better game today than recent games.

Looking at the replays of the Pead sending off I can have no arguments, but how the hell did it take the ref 6 or 7 seconds to blow ?

I also wondered why the ref took so long to blow. It looked like he was playing on then the Macclesfield players protested and he blew. I think his slowness to stop it contributed to the minor melee straight after.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:04 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:It was crap, theres my summary.

Best part of it was the abuse thrown at Merson, he took the bait.

An excellent summary there Daz. But I'd say it was utter crap.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:07 am

Exile wrote:Saw the game live on Sky, no commentary thankfully, so I didn't have to suffer fools.

Were you watchin in a pub mate? For our British friends on here we had to make do with the American commentary via the ESPN network. It was absolutley dreadful. Some examples.

Their pre match graphics of the lineups had Dobson at centre back, Dann at right back and Pead in centre midfield.

They have an Irish idiot called Tommy Smyth who does the "expert" comments. He said at least a dozen times that "this is not the premiership". One word summed him up. Totally patronising.

Their whole commentary was based on Paul Ince's career and future.

They thought it was a cast iron penalty when one of the Macc strikers headed against (I think Dann) arm in the 2nd half. Replys dont even confirm it hit his arm let alone any possible chance of getting out of the way hense ball to hand and no foul.

They thought Pead should get forward more as he looked the most likely. Judge that one for yourself.

They could not beleive that Sam should have been subbed.

I could go on an awful lot more

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:07 am

I couldn't understand why the commentators kept talking about Sam's pace.

All season, he's been incapable of getting away from his marker, which is why he keeps looking for fouls, and why he took his two shots so early tonight - if he'd held onto the ball any longer, the defender would have got back at him.

I hope DD plays Asbo from the start in the replay. We don't want to go to extra time, and Asbo is our best means of forcing a result - one way or another!

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:14 am

The point about Pead being unlucky;

I was at the game, I HAVEN'T had the benefit of seeing it on tv yet....let me tell you what happened and what I saw...

Two players going in, both quite high for a 50-50 ball.

The Ref DID NOT GIVE A FREE KICK...that much wa definite. He saw nothing wrong with the incident at all.

The ball then went out of play...at which point Macclesfield players surrounded Pead and the Ref.

The Ref then decided it was a red card.

I repeat, HE DEFINITELY DID NOT GIVE A FOUL. So how can you send someone off for a challenge that wasn't even deemed a foul.

As I say, all without the benefit of replays on tv...perhaps it was a "horror tackle" as stated on the radio.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:21 am

I can understand DD saying what he did, only having one look at the challenge, but I imagine any thoughts of an appeal will be quickly forgotton once he looks at the video.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season