Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Macclesfield Town (A) FA Cup 1st Round 13/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:51 pm

MMF; Ropers distribution better than Dobson, I hope that was in jest!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:05 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:MMF; Ropers distribution better than Dobson, I hope that was in jest!
well the way DD plays he certainly gets more of the ball than Dobson... :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:39 pm

I really do despair of some people. If we are bad as some are making out, how do you explain the league position? We're even going through a bad patch at the moment, as all teams do and yet are still winning. What the hell do you want?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:55 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I really do despair of some people. If we are bad as some are making out, how do you explain the league position? We're even going through a bad patch at the moment, as all teams do and yet are still winning. What the hell do you want?
how do i explane the league position...it is the only English league where you have genuinely poor teams and we are still treating every one of them with so much respect that we are looking just as poor ourselves...what the hell do i want/...some entertainment please...not too much to ask surely.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:10 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I really do despair of some people. If we are bad as some are making out, how do you explain the league position? We're even going through a bad patch at the moment, as all teams do and yet are still winning. What the hell do you want?
how do i explane the league position...it is the only English league where you have genuinely poor teams and we are still treating every one of them with so much respect that we are looking just as poor ourselves...what the hell do i want/...some entertainment please...not too much to ask surely.

Far too much, if it's at the expense of winning, I'm afraid.

Shad

Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:38 pm

I think it was a case of respecting Macclesfield too much yesterday. The first fifteen minutes we let a poor side run the play, and we never really posed an attacking threat. We played defensively against a team who have aquired a total of 6 points by mid November.

Whether or not we had decided that they deserved the respect because it was the cup, or because they were at home, or because they had a new manger or even because the majority of TV viewers had watched to see Paul Ince we did respect them too much.

After letting them attack in the first spells of possession and watching them run up to the 18 yard line then repeatedly let a shot enter orbit should have been enough to say at half time that they are a poor team and we should have gone out and controlled the game attacked them for the win, something that we never really did.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:52 pm

I think we did. It seemed they were under orders to pick up the pace after half time, but just weren't able to do it enough. We certainly did have a higher tempo in the second 45, though.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:53 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I think we did. It seemed they were under orders to pick up the pace after half time, but just weren't able to do it enough. We certainly did have a higher tempo in the second 45, though.

That's tended to be a theme recently. More often than not we've been able to get an early second half goal but that never looked likely last night.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:54 pm

I haven't read all the thread and apologise if this has been said before. I agree it was a very disappointing performance which didn't get me out of my comfy armchair once. My admiration goes out to everyone who made the journey.

HOWEVER just picking up on something Neil said in the Torquay Marks out of 100 thread - you again couldn't fail to admire the performances of Ropes and especially Scott Dann. The latter looked again a class act in the making - some of his long passes out to Mark Wright were stunning. I think just about every pass found Wright which showed up the abysmal passing of just about everyone else in the side, especially the full backs again.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:13 pm

Mike T. wrote:I haven't read all the thread and apologise if this has been said before. I agree it was a very disappointing performance which didn't get me out of my comfy armchair once. My admiration goes out to everyone who made the journey.

HOWEVER just picking up on something Neil said in the Torquay Marks out of 100 thread - you again couldn't fail to admire the performances of Ropes and especially Scott Dann. The latter looked again a class act in the making - some of his long passes out to Mark Wright were stunning. I think just about every pass found Wright which showed up the abysmal passing of just about everyone else in the side, especially the full backs again.

You should have been in the pub, then! Agree completely about the centre backs.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:26 pm

to all you who are full of doom and gloom about last night and slating the team about this and that get over yourselves i was disapointed by the performance not the result we get them back to the fortress win go through. We are top of the league not lost at home so far this season lost one game all season what more do you want we are walsall brazil. So to anybody who has been slating the team beacause of last nights game people like you disgust me.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:36 pm

Mike T. wrote:I haven't read all the thread and apologise if this has been said before. I agree it was a very disappointing performance which didn't get me out of my comfy armchair once. My admiration goes out to everyone who made the journey.

Agree Dann is quality, but then what did mark wright do with it.......f**k all! :evil: :evil:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:41 pm

LancsSaddler wrote:

Agree Dann is quality, but then what did mark wright do with it.......f**k all! :evil: :evil:

It's all Mark Wright's fault again I see? He won a tackle last night and a couple of headers. Did you see? :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:01 pm

Stu wrote:From the TV viewpoint, Dobson actually had a good game, I was surprised at just how often he appeared to pop up and be in the right place to put in a tackle, break up an attack and then play a simple ball for Keats/Fox/Wright/Pead/Taylor to give possession away.

Pead's red card was deserved in that he had two feet off the floor, however their bloke also went in studs up with his leading foot to be honest, if Pead had stayed down injured too, then neither would have been penalised, let alone Pead red-carded.

Wouldn't have scored in a brothel last night either, thats now 6 goals scored in our last 7 matches. Clean sheets are great, IF you can manage to create opportunities at the other end.

I can certainly see why the red card was shown, though still think it was harsh. As you've said Stu, their player went in just the same way as Pead. Problem seemed to be (in slow-mo) that Pead made the first contact with the ball with his leading foot, but his contact was with the top of the ball - no more than a minor mis-time - but that threw his foot higher and over the ball into the incoming opponent.

If the Macclesfield player's foot had got to the ball first - a matter of only a fraction of a second - the exact opposite might easily have happened and Pead could have been the injured party in what was actually just a 50-50 challenge.

Neither player was more to blame than the other, so a red card was OTT for me, especially given the other circumstances i.e. ref didn't give a free-kick, didn't stop the game even though WE were still in possession, and only seemed to act in response to protests.

Bizarre, but only one of a number of bizarre decisions last night.

futuresobright

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:59 pm

Now that so many UTS posters are finally recognising that Money is putting out a team much inferior to the one we had last season maybe they are ready to recognise another fact - Martin Butler's performances, after a bright start, have been worse, yes worse, than Andrew Barrowman. Did he complete any passes, win any balls in the air or have a shot on target last night?
Have we had a worse pair of strikers than Butler and Sam? It amuses me when people compare Money's team with Graydon's. Anyone (apart the usual suspects) prefer Butler and Sam to Leitao, Byfield, Angel, Rammel or Goodman.
As for not playing Ishmel..he's having a laugh.
This season so far has been dire...and we need to let Mr Touchy know it's not good enough.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:01 pm

futuresobright wrote:Now that so many UTS posters are finally recognising that Money is putting out a team much inferior to the one we had last season maybe they are ready to recognise another fact - Martin Butler's performances, after a bright start, have been worse, yes worse, than Andrew Barrowman. Did he complete any passes, win any balls in the air or have a shot on target last night?
Have we had a worse pair of strikers than Butler and Sam? It amuses me when people compare Money's team with Graydon's. Anyone (apart the usual suspects) prefer Butler and Sam to Leitao, Byfield, Angel, Rammel or Goodman.
This season so far has been dire...and we need to let Mr Touchy know it's not good enough.

YAWN

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:58 am

futuresobright wrote:Now that so many UTS posters are finally recognising that Money is putting out a team much inferior to the one we had last season maybe they are ready to recognise another fact - Martin Butler's performances, after a bright start, have been worse, yes worse, than Andrew Barrowman. Did he complete any passes, win any balls in the air or have a shot on target last night?

Nice one, Bernie. :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:11 pm

Sorry, must have missed something, who's top of the league and 12 points inside the promotion frame?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nob

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:25 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

Sorry, must have missed something, who's top of the league and 12 points inside the promotion frame?

well i dont think he has a weakend team at all...he has got a good squad of players and he knows what he is doing on the coaching and tactics front...(just like merson in that respect :? :roll: )...its just entertainment value i think is lacking.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:27 pm

change the record
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:29 pm

King Crimson wrote:

It just isn't funny now we know who it is :D I can't even bring myself to bite anymore, what is more worrying , that the more i read Bernie's posts, the more i think it is what he actually thinks , rather than a wind up :roll:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:06 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nob

DOESN'T KNOB HAVE A K? :lol:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:56 pm

Not in penile sense I don't think. :lol:

All the words I wanted to don't get past the word filter. :D

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:40 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

It just isn't funny now we know who it is :D I can't even bring myself to bite anymore, what is more worrying , that the more i read Bernie's posts, the more i think it is what he actually thinks , rather than a wind up :roll:

I'm beginning to see that.certainly put his posts under pressure and they're met with FSB- style logic or another typical FSB response-silence.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season