Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Walsall v Torquay...marks out of 100...?

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
sid swifty
Glitterati

Walsall v Torquay...marks out of 100...?

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:33 pm

Ive just watched us win 1-0 and we're top of the league 3pts clear....yes...get in there my son... :D ...so why do i feel cheated out of £18...?...well i will tell you...i would give us 35/100 for entertainment value...is it just me?

so thats 35/100... :?

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:34 pm

around 25 for me

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:35 pm

around 25 for me

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:39 pm

can't comment as i did not go, sounded pretty drab on the commentary. in an ideal world we would be entertained and promoted but if you had to choose which would it be? bit much to expect us to be superb every time we play at home. football is a results business rather than an entertainment business

CSFC

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:41 pm

There were people around me reading during the first half. Just along the row, some kid had fallen asleep. It was like stepping back in time to the Colin Lee era!

I don't suppose we can really complain, we all know that entertainment isn't guaranteed and the price we pay to get in reflects football today. Plus we're top of the league :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:52 pm

I always use the bbc match stats to help try and judge a game if I'm not there.

We had lots more shots than them and about 17 corners I think so I'm guessing we had them under pressure for spells, BUT we lost out 42 / 58 on the possession percentage to Torquay at home (!) so i'm guessing they had us under the cosh as well for good spells.

But, as you say, a win is a win, they can't all be glorious football, swindon and lincoln both lost, wycombe drew and we are top of the league - come on!!!

UTS!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:52 pm

Entertainment 35/100? Who cares?! We're top! I would take an entertainment factor of 0/100 between now and the end of the season if we finish as champions. I would get far more enjoyment out of that, than seeing some cracking games and missing out on promotion. The basis for our success will be clean sheets - particularly it seems at home - so we are going to have to prepare ourselves for plenty more games like today from now on.

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:01 pm

yeah i agree it wasnt very entertaining particularly the first half, but who cares exactly as long as we took 3 points (in which we did), and reclaim our place at the top of the league! and i thinks that is exactly what has happened!
for me the game changed once we brought taylor on for sam, he did nothing today really! or did mark wright!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:04 pm

What do people expect? This is division 4 at the end of the day - there will be some good days and lots of bad days - the trick is to win despite the bad days. DD has put together a team and tactics that are difficult to beat - we are still yet to concede in the league at home!!!!!! Please read that last bit again.

Yes - today wasn't great. Watching Chelseas isn't always great either (Cue Sheff :lol: ) but they get the job done and move on to the next game.

Get behind the lads - can't beleive there was some (not much - but too much) booing today aparently (I was already in the loo - Lager does that to me :oops: ) but at least I missed the booing.

Bring on the next game - and another SOLID performance.

UTS

gray
Glitterati

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:14 pm

aldridge steve wrote:What do people expect? This is division 4 at the end of the day - there will be some good days and lots of bad days - the trick is to win despite the bad days. DD has put together a team and tactics that are difficult to beat - we are still yet to concede in the league at home!!!!!! Please read that last bit again.

Yes - today wasn't great. Watching Chelseas isn't always great either (Cue Sheff :lol: ) but they get the job done and move on to the next game.

Get behind the lads - can't beleive there was some (not much - but too much) booing today aparently (I was already in the loo - Lager does that to me :oops: ) but at least I missed the booing.

Bring on the next game - and another SOLID performance.

UTS

well said. I think we should keep the Money out chants on hold for a bit. Last season we were appauling and werent winning games, i think i can put up with playing averagely but still winning to open a 3 point lead at the top.

up the saddlers.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:18 pm

I went to see Stockport v Lincoln today (see Slightly Off Topic) and to be honest our closest rivals were very poor.

Who cares whether we win 1-0 with a performance that's not entertaining?

We are top of the league!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:34 pm

WE ARE TOP OF THE F*****G LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:40 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Entertainment 35/100? Who cares?! We're top! I would take an entertainment factor of 0/100 between now and the end of the season if we finish as champions. I would get far more enjoyment out of that, than seeing some cracking games and missing out on promotion. The basis for our success will be clean sheets - particularly it seems at home - so we are going to have to prepare ourselves for plenty more games like today from now on.

Just because you only go because you're under the shackles of emotional restriction doesn't mean everybody does.

Some of us put ourselves before Walsall FC, and the wise spending of our money is paramount rather than the financial stability of the company, or indeed enduring a poor performance and being 'top'.

I fully support anyone's decision not to attend games at any football club, particularly under the basis of non-entertainment.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:44 pm

First half was poor, but we dominated most of the second half and I was entertained more than adequately by that.

The ref was entertaining too, certainly got me shouting anyway, the incompetent pr@t !

I'm happy with the turnaround from last season, happy with our league position, happy with our clean sheets at home, happy to see other teams falling away.

We are 3 points clear with a better goal difference, 7 points clear of Swindon, and 12 points ahead of the first team outside the play-off frame. Just what is there to be unhappy about ? I'll take this any day of the week.

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:49 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:First half was poor, but we dominated most of the second half and I was entertained more than adequately by that.

The ref was entertaining too, certainly got me shouting anyway, the incompetent pr@t !

I'm happy with the turnaround from last season, happy with our league position, happy with our clean sheets at home, happy to see other teams falling away.

We are 3 points clear with a better goal difference, 7 points clear of Swindon, and 12 points ahead of the first team outside the play-off frame. Just what is there to be unhappy about ? I'll take this any day of the week.

here here geoff!

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:51 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:WE ARE TOP OF THE F*****G LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn F*****g right, if anyone isn't happy with us being 3 points clear at the top, with 0 goals conceeded at home then they can c**k off to the dingles!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:53 pm

The Red Prince wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:WE ARE TOP OF THE F*****G LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn F*****g right, if anyone isn't happy with us being 3 points clear at the top, with 0 goals conceeded at home then they can c**k off to the dingles!

7 points from 4th and thats the biggest stat of the day!!!

saddlers supa mop

Location: Living upto mods expectations and keeping this site friendly for all age users :D

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:54 pm

who cares about the entertainment. I dont want this club to be in this league, and if we don't entertain every week but play solid football and get the results, so what about not being entertained every match, the promotion party is going to be great at the end of the season :D :lol:

stealth_vision

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:58 pm

game out of 100 is surely 100 we won kept home record clean sheets up and top of the league

my daughter fell asleep after ten mins but hey what do girls know bout football with exception to kians mom

and to finish it of with a nice pint of stella in the hotel

dicky dosh for walsall town mayor sure to get the scum out

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:02 pm

The Red Prince wrote:

so i'm not allowed an opinion rp...is that what your saying?...you may be happy to pay £18 to watch what to be honest apart from a spell in the 2nd half was nothing more than brick wall football...now thats fine when your away from home but i expect a bit more for my £18 from the leaders of the league in a home game.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:04 pm

stealth_vision wrote:game out of 100 is surely 100 we won kept home record clean sheets up and top of the league

my daughter fell asleep after ten mins but hey what do girls know bout football with exception to kians mom

and to finish it of with a nice pint of stella in the hotel

dicky dosh for walsall town mayor sure to get the scum out

Good call - anyway - your daughter falls asleep most games doesn't she :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:13 pm

sid swifty wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:

so i'm not allowed an opinion rp...is that what your saying?...you may be happy to pay £18 to watch what to be honest apart from a spell in the 2nd half was nothing more than brick wall football...now thats fine when your away from home but i expect a bit more for my £18 from the leaders of the league in a home game.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you shouldn't have an opinion - just pointing out theirs. Personally I would have been gutted to come away with nothing, disappointed to only get a point - but 3 points and a clean sheet is just fine by me.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:15 pm

sid swifty wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion Sid, but I find it a little distressing that you have room for complaint when we are finally back on our feet and in with a shout of winning our only real silverware since the early 60's! Would you prefer 'entertainment' but to be mid-table? I certainly would take winning a boring game 1-0 every single week and having the jubilation and euphoria of seeing a Walsall team lift a trophy for the first time in my life, we had a fair few 'entertaining' home games under Moron, and look where that has left us!

We all have the right to do what we will with the precious little money we are left after the government vultures have had more that their fair share, and I would certainly sympatise with you if we were playing badly and losing, however performing as we are I find your attitude unfathomable, and I worry that there are more out their with the same attitude. I just hope the tiny minority who feel this way and boo don't convince Richard Money that his talents may be better appreciated elsewhere.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:18 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting you shouldn't have an opinion - just pointing out theirs. Personally I would have been gutted to come away with nothing, disappointed to only get a point - but 3 points and a clean sheet is just fine by me.
I dare say this thread would have been full of people supporting my view if we had lost...because its one thing to play crapp and win and another to play crapp and lose...but i say what i feel...when i feel it...i dont wait for everyone else to agree with me.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:18 pm

A classic 1-0 win. We're in Division Four: that's what games are like - grinding out a result against an industrious if quality-free team even when not playing well. Top of the league... no goals conceded at home... wonderful! Neither us nor anyone else will be playing much pretty football in this division, so people are well within their rights to not go because it's unlikely to be entertaining for the purist... but for those of us who've followed Walsall through thick and thin, year in year out, virtually since we came out of the womb, the emotional connection is what drives us on, and the emotional reward from winning games is what makes it worthwile.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:22 pm

sid swifty wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:

I dare say this thread would have been full of people supporting my view if we had lost...because its one thing to play crapp and win and another to play crapp and lose...but i say what i feel...when i feel it...i dont wait for everyone else to agree with me.

As I said above - if we played as we did and lost - I too would be gutted - but we won, end of! I appreciate the quality was lacking today - but, we won.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:25 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:A classic 1-0 win. We're in Division Four: that's what games are like - grinding out a result against an industrious if quality-free team even when not playing well. Top of the league... no goals conceded at home... wonderful! Neither us nor anyone else will be playing much pretty football in this division, so people are well within their rights to not go because it's unlikely to be entertaining for the purist... but for those of us who've followed Walsall through thick and thin, year in year out, virtually since we came out of the womb, the emotional connection is what drives us on, and the emotional reward from winning games is what makes it worthwile.
i'm not a bloody purist bristol...i love this club as you do and just about everyone else on here mate...45 yrs ive been coming to watch walsall..and maybe its me getting older...i dont know...maybe i just get grumpier as i get older but i find myself being less and less tolerant of negative football...and if it bothers me to the point where it did with stuff merson was serving up then top of the league or not i will stop going to watch them.

Diehard

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:42 pm

OK, it wasn't the best entertainment - especially the first half, but it was job done, 3 points. Thank you very much! The most annoying part for me is that when the attendance rises by about 1000, roll in the 'boo boys'. I know we are all capable of airing our opinions about individual and team performances, but come on, the statistics speak for themselves. Individual errors are all part of being human, they do not deserve derision, or indeed the half-time 'boos' that came from a section of the middle FTG. If we are supporters, then lets do just that and get behind the team. Critisism during a game is highly unlikely to lift performances!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:44 pm

Diehard wrote:OK, it wasn't the best entertainment - especially the first half, but it was job done, 3 points. Thank you very much! The most annoying part for me is that when the attendance rises by about 1000, roll in the 'boo boys'. I know we are all capable of airing our opinions about individual and team performances, but come on, the statistics speak for themselves. Individual errors are all part of being human, they do not deserve derision, or indeed the half-time 'boos' that came from a section of the middle FTG. If we are supporters, then lets do just that and get behind the team. Critisism during a game is highly unlikely to lift performances!

In bloody deed, for the first time I heard the lower boo, people id never seen before either!

PS why havent you got John mclean as your avatar?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:53 pm

Good stuff Sid, nothing wrong with stating the facts. Lot of people fail to understand the concept of entertainment and our current results. I just love being top, no goals conceded at home and studying the league table on Saturday evening/Sunday morning. Perhaps the next match will be the one where we entertain for 90 minutes :roll: although I doubt it with our current midfielders whose attempts today were truly awful, try to look at it the way you might when you visit the dentist, it might be painful at times but the end result is worth it.

Next
Return to 2006-07 Season