Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Walsall v Torquay...marks out of 100...?

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
ws3
Glitterati

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:20 pm

sid swifty wrote:
AC wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I just find it difficult to believe anyone can criticise when the priority - and it is the only priority - is to get out of this God awful Divsion. We have 38 points from 17 games, haven't conceded at home and have a goal difference of +21, which only Manchester United can equal in the country.

Four more wins and we'll be safe, by the way!

I'll give you a reason, Neil. Not everyone who attends Walsall FC games will be a hardcore Walsall fan, with the results in mind.

Okay, It's a damn good reason to play poorly and win, Walsall do need to rise in the leagues and then in the long run attendances and probably performances will improve.

Don't assume that everyone is in your way of thinking though. I'd rather watch Walsall lose entertainingly than to win in a boring match. That is me, and nothing to do with anyone else who is bound to disagree with me.
A man after my own heart AC...although after supporting walsall for 45 yrs i surely am getting close to being a hardcore supporter...its just that to some on here your allowed to keep repeating things like DD is our savior..DD is king...DD can sleep with my wife..but if you dare to utter anything that is thought negative then you should be banished from the board...i hope this thread is kept in the uts archive...because i can see quite a lot more people on here coming round to my way of thinking before the end of the season.

To be honest with you Sid, I think that more people think the way you do but are either unwilling or scared to say so. It is a bit like the emporers new clothes isn't it.

I suppose everyone (me included) will be over the moon that we are where we are and acknowledge that things are so much better than last season, but really the football at home is poor isn't it. The worry is that the football away is a great deal worse.

I know I should count our blessings and look on the bright side but how long can we keep playing this way before someone realises the emporer is naked and makes a fool of us.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:53 pm

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:02 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:http://www.expressandstar.co.uk/2006/11/06/wrack-backs-ugly-walsall/

And DD Says

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 118380.stm
well i for one dont need to be told that this and the other games ive seen have been well under par...so lets hope it improves drastically...but its heartening to hear him say that they aren't playing well...at least he's not in total denial like merson was.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:19 pm

Sid, I fully understand your views , and know one can deny you are right , we are not playing well , its not pretty . But if thats what it takes to get out of this league , and stop the rot so be it . Don't forget mate there was lots of talk on this board about us struggling this season and even dropping out of league football . If in 12 months time you are saying the same thing i maybe more concerned but for now promotion is all what matters to me .

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:42 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:Sid, I fully understand your views , and know one can deny you are right , we are not playing well , its not pretty . But if thats what it takes to get out of this league , and stop the rot so be it . Don't forget mate there was lots of talk on this board about us struggling this season and even dropping out of league football . If in 12 months time you are saying the same thing i maybe more concerned but for now promotion is all what matters to me .
glad you agree Dave...thats all i want to do is make the point...it would be a sad day if i got so bored that i stopped going for a while...but thats life...i insist on value for money in all aspects of my life dave so why should i settle for anything else at bescot...i dont see why i should sit there getting bored and paying £18 for the honour.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:57 pm

sid swifty wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:Sid, I fully understand your views , and know one can deny you are right , we are not playing well , its not pretty . But if thats what it takes to get out of this league , and stop the rot so be it . Don't forget mate there was lots of talk on this board about us struggling this season and even dropping out of league football . If in 12 months time you are saying the same thing i maybe more concerned but for now promotion is all what matters to me .
glad you agree Dave...thats all i want to do is make the point...it would be a sad day if i got so bored that i stopped going for a while...but thats life...i insist on value for money in all aspects of my life dave so why should i settle for anything else at bescot...i dont see why i should sit there getting bored and paying £18 for the honour.

you make your point very well Sid.
we should meet up before the Notts County game , and discuss this further :D over a pint or three :D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:02 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

we should meet up before the Notts County game , and discuss this further :D over a pint or three :D
I'LL DRINK TO THAT MATE... :D

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:20 pm

sid swifty wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

Good your paying :lol: :lol: :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:21 pm

Cully wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:sid, dler, Bernie & Cully. The facts are this.

We are top of the league.

You pay £18 to get in which you don't see as value for money. Fair enough.

However, it is YOUR choice to pay that £18. If you don't feel you are being entrtained, don't go. Simple as that.

You don't watch a film or TV programme a second time that hasn't entertained you the first. Being boring but winning is becoming a theme, which personally I feel isn't helped by our oppositions insistence to make things difficult and grab a point. So you pretty much know what will happen next game. It's your choice.

Sid, last season you refused to come while M*rs*n was in charge. Fair play to you. In that time we were losing. Now were are winning. Make the same pledge and say you won't come while DD is in charge if you feel so strongly about it. It's the same reason after all, isn't it?

Probably one of your worst posts if you don't mind me saying MMF. I have no idea what point you are trying to make with your TV/Film analogy, the criteria for every game is different, the players, the opposition, the location from week to week, the only thing that has been consistant is our style of play.

Ony of my worst posts? Surely there are far more worthy candidates? :P

The TV/Film analogy made was because of this. Every manager has a brand of football.

Kevin Keegan - very entertaining games, lots of goals but loses too many.

Arsene Wenger - his teams play slick one or two touch passing football

Richard Money - asks his teams to concentrate on defence and build from the back whih sometimes results in not the most attractive to watch football but so far has been very successful.

There may be different players, different opposition but the theme will mostly be the same. Just like the theme of Catherine Tate's show is pathetic annoying catchphrases that aren't funny although the sketches maybe different (but not much) each week. Same as the Rocky films have a rigid boxing theme but different opponents in each film.

Basically, you know pretty much what you're going to get before you turn up so if you don't like the first one or two you don't watch the next one.

All I was saying to Sid was that last season he chose not to come because he didn't think paying to watch a M*rs*n team was worthwhile. Exactly the same applies now. If he doesn't feel paying £18 is worthwhile and value for money, he's not being forced to attend so I was wondering why he still is.

I was not saying to anybody not to come, that is their choice but if they do choose to keep attending then why complain when they know pretty much what they're going to get.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:22 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

Good your paying :lol: :lol: :wink:
I'll start saving then... :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:27 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Cully wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:sid, dler, Bernie & Cully. The facts are this.

We are top of the league.

You pay £18 to get in which you don't see as value for money. Fair enough.

However, it is YOUR choice to pay that £18. If you don't feel you are being entrtained, don't go. Simple as that.

You don't watch a film or TV programme a second time that hasn't entertained you the first. Being boring but winning is becoming a theme, which personally I feel isn't helped by our oppositions insistence to make things difficult and grab a point. So you pretty much know what will happen next game. It's your choice.

Sid, last season you refused to come while M*rs*n was in charge. Fair play to you. In that time we were losing. Now were are winning. Make the same pledge and say you won't come while DD is in charge if you feel so strongly about it. It's the same reason after all, isn't it?

Probably one of your worst posts if you don't mind me saying MMF. I have no idea what point you are trying to make with your TV/Film analogy, the criteria for every game is different, the players, the opposition, the location from week to week, the only thing that has been consistant is our style of play.

Ony of my worst posts? Surely there are far more worthy candidates? :P

The TV/Film analogy made was because of this. Every manager has a brand of football.

Kevin Keegan - very entertaining games, lots of goals but loses too many.

Arsene Wenger - his teams play slick one or two touch passing football

Richard Money - asks his teams to concentrate on defence and build from the back whih sometimes results in not the most attractive to watch football but so far has been very successful.

There may be different players, different opposition but the theme will mostly be the same. Just like the theme of Catherine Tate's show is pathetic annoying catchphrases that aren't funny although the sketches maybe different (but not much) each week. Same as the Rocky films have a rigid boxing theme but different opponents in each film.

Basically, you know pretty much what you're going to get before you turn up so if you don't like the first one or two you don't watch the next one.

All I was saying to Sid was that last season he chose not to come because he didn't think paying to watch a M*rs*n team was worthwhile. Exactly the same applies now. If he doesn't feel paying £18 is worthwhile and value for money, he's not being forced to attend so I was wondering why he still is.

I was not saying to anybody not to come, that is their choice but if they do choose to keep attending then why complain when they know pretty much what they're going to get.
If he doesn't feel paying £18 is worthwhile and value for money, he's not being forced to attend so I was wondering why he still is.
now this may shock you mark but although ive critisised the teams performance (a freedom we all have on uts) i am still a walsall fan ... :D ...shock horror!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:50 pm

:D

You were a Walsall fan last season too. :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:59 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote::D

yes and even if i get so bored that i stop going this season...i'll still be a walsall fan next season... :D :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:16 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote::D

yes and even if i get so bored that i stop going this season...i'll still be a walsall fan next season... :D :wink:

Fan, or Armchair Supporter :wink: :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:43 pm

It is of course every fans right not to go to games, i have done it myself, i missed more games in the Merson Era, than the previous 15 years put together.

Reason being, i was so sick of what was happening, and everyone, or a large proportion happily clapping along, i stopped going, there where other reasons, not related to football at all, but i just lost the buzz

Nothing to do with entertainment value, just i hated what i was watching happen to our club.

Now ok it isn't the most entertaining football ever, but i can see what is being done now, what the aim is, and how they are trying to acheive it, and it is working.

When we got relegated last season, i thought we where heading out the league this season, honest to god that is what i felt in my stomach

I just want to get out of this god forsaken whole of a division, and then we can worry about other matters later.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:46 pm

ws3 wrote:To be honest with you Sid, I think that more people think the way you do but are either unwilling or scared to say so. It is a bit like the emporers new clothes isn't it.

I suppose everyone (me included) will be over the moon that we are where we are and acknowledge that things are so much better than last season, but really the football at home is poor isn't it. The worry is that the football away is a great deal worse.

I know I should count our blessings and look on the bright side but how long can we keep playing this way before someone realises the emporer is naked and makes a fool of us.

Everybody sees the situation differently.

Some people cannot live without football, and Walsall FC is one of the positive things in their life, that they cannot leave. That's perfectly acceptable.

I've always been a Walsall supporter throughout school, but I had a really good think about it one day. I could easily have been born anywhere else in the UK, and I'd have chosen that team as my own.

Walsall were only really chosen because they were the closest, and I'd been bought up to 'support' them. To me, that's nothing to do with passion or pride, but mere coincidence, which is when my bond broken.

To further burn the bridges of emotion, recent events (some involving myself, some involving others) have made it clear to me that I am dispensible to the club, so why should the club be indispensible to my life?

It isn't. I can live without Walsall FC.

It is a sad story, and often I think I'd rather be ignorant and passionate - or to put it politely, the type to keep my head down and let the world manipulate me.

I can still class myself as a Walsall supporter - helped largely to there being no official title of 'supporter' - but I like it when Walsall FC does well. The lack of feelings, however, means that I'd much rather be entertained than proud.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:57 pm

AC, chin up son

If you place of birth is a conincidence and you are taking that view then EVERYTHING we know is a conincidence. Thank f*** you were born where you were born by the way, you're in the richest 1% of the worlds population, we're all a bit jammy there.

Anyway, you've got Walsall, that's what you've been dealt, I'd rather be a Walsall fan than a Man Ure fan that's for sure.

Of course you can live without Walsall FC, but why would you want to? I don't beleive you would be as happy??? though 8)

Try and be a bit more positive, you're very lucky when you think about it

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:57 pm

AC wrote:
ws3 wrote:To be honest with you Sid, I think that more people think the way you do but are either unwilling or scared to say so. It is a bit like the emporers new clothes isn't it.

Everybody sees the situation differently.

Some people cannot live without football, and Walsall FC is one of the positive things in their life, that they cannot leave. That's perfectly acceptable.

I've always been a Walsall supporter throughout school, but I had a really good think about it one day. I could easily have been born anywhere else in the UK, and I'd have chosen that team as my own.

Walsall were only really chosen because they were the closest, and I'd been bought up to 'support' them. To me, that's nothing to do with passion or pride, but mere coincidence, which is when my bond broken.

To further burn the bridges of emotion, recent events (some involving myself, some involving others) have made it clear to me that I am dispensible to the club, so why should the club be indispensible to my life?

It is a sad story, and often I think I'd rather be ignorant and passionate - or to put it politely, the type to keep my head down and let the world manipulate me.

I can still class myself as a Walsall supporter - helped largely to there being no official title of 'supporter' - but I like it when Walsall FC does well. The lack of feelings, however, means that I'd much rather be entertained than proud.
It also becomes (to me anyway) less a passion and more a habbit as i get older...so i find i can take or leave it now...where as when i was younger you wouldn't believe some of the lenths i would go to be there and watch them (home and away).

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:03 pm

My Dad raised me as a Man Utd fan, but I rebelled and started following the Saddlers.

Suppose that is why I'm so passionate and get ever-so nervous when it comes to the Saddlers... because it was totally my choice!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:04 pm

saddlerken wrote:AC, chin up son

If you place of birth is a conincidence and you are taking that view then EVERYTHING we know is a conincidence. Thank f*** you were born where you were born by the way, you're in the richest 1% of the worlds population, we're all a bit jammy there.

Anyway, you've got Walsall, that's what you've been dealt, I'd rather be a Walsall fan than a Man Ure fan that's for sure.

Of course you can live without Walsall FC, but why would you want to? I don't beleive you would be as happy??? though 8)

Try and be a bit more positive, you're very lucky when you think about it

That's a good post Ken, and in the grand scale of things you're right, we are lucky.

I don't think I'm complaining as such, I know Walsall FC's a great club and Walsall itself isn't too bad when compared to some places.

I think I'm working on the philosophy that ignorance is certainly not bliss - of course, when you do learn things and become older and wiser, you realise that ignorance is blissful!

This reflective 'me' has only come up since 'the incident', so perhaps you're right, I would be more happy standing with, and not against Walsall FC?

It's not easy to turn around to another's way of thinking, but I do acknowledge how lucky we are.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:10 pm

AC wrote:

It is a sad story, and often I think I'd rather be ignorant and passionate...

Most supporters could live without football (although I recall a tragic story of a Sheffield Wednesday fan who comitted suicide when they got relegated to the 3rd division).

But it's perefectly feasible to be aware of this and still be passionate.

There were specific reasons why I chose to support Walsall, but that hasn't made me less passionate about the club than someone who was brought up with it.

It's always possible to over-analyze yourself and your situation. I sometimes think it must be horrible to be a psychologist - you'd always be analyzing yourself, other people and their motivations, rather than having proper relationships with them.

My advice; 'Think Less, Feel More.'

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 pm

AC, time is a great healer, also speak to someone you trust about it all, talking helps, things will get better mate, they always do

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:09 pm

If your still that low AC,I'd advise a visit to your GP-or maybe you've already been there.from what I've seen of you, and from on here,life is currently hitting you harder than it need to.but ,with a little help,you've clearly got thre resourses to overcome that.
Sid,I've read your posts and I think,to a degree it comes down to what you regard as entertainment.you want exciting football for your money and I respect that.but our main priority is getting out this league,and personally I'd rather see us grind out 1-0's and get up-rather than risk entertaining 2-2 draws.
I suppose it also comes down to what you find entertaining.I can be "entertained" by seeing a team which,whatever the pressure,doesn't lose its shape.By watching a team in which everyone clearly knows their role.or seeing Taylor and Fox link up so well.Or having a goalkeeper that you can have confidence in.
I respect your wish for more-but for me the priority is to get out of this division.and I think DD already knows that the current approach won't work as well when(and I mean when) we're in League 1.I think once we're promoted,DD will change his tactics appropriately.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:58 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:I suppose it also comes down to what you find entertaining.I can be "entertained" by seeing a team which,whatever the pressure,doesn't lose its shape.By watching a team in which everyone clearly knows their role.or seeing Taylor and Fox link up so well.Or having a goalkeeper that you can have confidence in.

Exactly my point, mate. Goals are not the be all and end all of good football, so are good defending, goalkeeping and every other facet. Learn to appreciate it all.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:I suppose it also comes down to what you find entertaining.I can be "entertained" by seeing a team which,whatever the pressure,doesn't lose its shape.By watching a team in which everyone clearly knows their role.or seeing Taylor and Fox link up so well.Or having a goalkeeper that you can have confidence in.

Exactly my point, mate. Goals are not the be all and end all of good football, so are good defending, goalkeeping and every other facet. Learn to appreciate it all.
I must say now that ive seen the "HOOF" on a regular basis i am begining to appreciate it as a tool of modern football...and it does get entertaining after a while...NOT!!!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:42 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

I must say now that ive seen the "HOOF" on a regular basis i am begining to appreciate it as a tool of modern football...and it does get entertaining after a while...NOT!!!

My suit is blaaaaack

NOT

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:25 pm

This suit is naaaaaaht black.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:44 am

This suit is blacknot.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season