Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Torquay United (H) League - Saturday 4/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:20 am

Pedro wrote:3 points are 3 points , no matter how bad or poor the game is .

Tony Bedeau is crap. Ismel should have come on for Wracky and given the Gulls defence something to worry about.

still we are back top , and not let a league goal in at home yet

MOTM - Roper again followed by Ince

On what basis is Bedeau crap? Im interested.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:36 am

Technical query regarding the booking of Jamie Ward.

If the ball was still rolling when we took the free kick (as it was), surely Ward can stand where he wants until the ball stops moving and we can legitimately take the free kick?

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 am

Scrappy hard fought 3 points .

How many more chances is Sam going to have very poor imo.
Wrack on the left did,nt work Ishmel must be tearing his hair out
Roper outstanding again the man is a colossus , Ince what a signing brilliant
Last edited by Duke on Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:00 am

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:04 am

Tony Bedeau is crap. Ismel should have come on for Wracky and given the Gulls defence something to worry about.

at last found someone who agrees with me, I don't rate Beadeau at all.Sam is on the floor too easy, which for a bloke of his build just shouldn't happen!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:09 am

Kiansmom wrote:

at last found someone who agrees with me, I don't rate Beadeau at all.Sam is on the floor too easy, which for a bloke of his build just shouldn't happen!

Personally, I thought Bedeau looked good when he came on and Sam, whilst not getting any decent possession, so not showing much (Wrack looked far better in that position, playing slightly deeper), stayed on his feet well yesterday, presumably having been told off by DD!

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:09 am

3 points (again), there are not many teams in this division we will be able to play football against more (scrappy battles to come), Torquay being one of them they tried to make it difficult and what they lacked going forward showed they would have been more then happy with a point, even to the extent of playing there centre forward as a centre half. All we can do is beat what is in front of us and yet again yesterday we did.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:10 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Personally, I thought Bedeau looked good when he came on and Sam, whilst not getting any decent possession, so not showing much (Wrack looked far better in that position, playing slightly deeper), stayed on his feet well yesterday, presumably having been told off by DD!

Im glad im not the only one who thought this, although I think Ishy shouldve come on to add a little bit of pace to the attack

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:11 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Im glad im not the only one who thought this, although I think Ishy shouldve come on to add a little bit of pace to the attack

It was a close call either way, I suspect.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:12 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

It was a close call either way, I suspect.

Aye, he likes to bring on bedeau for a more measured attack whereas I think he brings Ishy on if he just wants them all to go gung ho

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:47 am

WarsawPact wrote:Technical query regarding the booking of Jamie Ward.

If the ball was still rolling when we took the free kick (as it was), surely Ward can stand where he wants until the ball stops moving and we can legitimately take the free kick?

That's exactly what everyone where I was sitting thought. The referee and linseman along the family stand side in the second half, were both completely useless yesterday. It became laughable towards the end as the linesman gave 2 offside decisions against Butler when he had clearly had to run past a player to get to the ball - if a Torquay defender appealed for offisde, they got the decision.
Can't understand the criticism of Bedeau yet again. People don't seem to understand that when we're a goal up and he comes on for Mark Wright, he's not being used to tear the opposition apart - he's being brought on to help us see the game out and preserve the lead. Like it or not, he's a better option to have on the field than Wright when that's what you're trying to do. People also say he can't beat players - well, Wright only made space to put a cross over once yesterday and never beat their left back. He didn't have a bad game overall though.

I thought the main plus to come out of the game was using Wrack in 'the hole'. Some of his runs and intelligent use of the ball make him head and shoulders above Hector Sam - I just hope DD gives the Butler - Wrack partnership a real consideration for the future - I really think it's our best option, particularly away from home.

Stan P

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:30 pm

the ref was named Darren Deadman his performance summed it up a walking corpse

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:38 pm

Walt Flanagan's Dog wrote:I spent the last ten minutes of the half hoping that we wouldn't boo them off, and most of my fellow Saddlers didn't disappoint me (kudos to the geezer in the upper FTG who was quick to remind the jeering contingent of "last season".).

That was me. Like you I was expecting the idiots to boo at half time and I deliberately stayed to tell them what I thought when my mates had gone to get a pint. I was enraged by them. Some people have no patience at all. The same idiots (there's a word keeps repeating itself here) have very short memories. They must have forgotten the M*rs*on era when we'd have given anything for a clean sheet at half time in most games with something to build on.

Face it, and face it quickly. Teams are going to come to Bescot to shut us out and make it difficult, especially in this division and especially while we are top without conceding a goal. That gives the opposition manager the easy talk of saying you've got nothing to lose, go for it and be the first to get a goal and win against them this season.

This isn't to say I think we're playing well, we're not and haven't pretty much all season but if people haven't realised by now that we don't have to play well to win in this poor division then they never will.

We maybe heading for a fall and we need more up front. In fact we need less, drop Sam. I'd rather start with 10 men. We still lack creativity which we all noticed a long time ago. It's still not affecting us though. The thing that does slightly annoy me is that Dosh hasn't really given some players more of a chance to change that for us but while results go our way why should he?

When Wrack replaced him he did exactly what I was saying a few weeks ago he would when most were saying he wouldn't get into the team. He linked the play with some nice short neat passes to give us possession and made Keates and Dobsons job easier as they had someone to make a simple pass to.

Lets get out of this division and worry about performances once we have done it. Chris Nicholl was labelled "King" yet if people put their brains into gear they'll know much of his reign was similar to what we have seen so far. If you don't enjoy it, don't go.

Oh and Daz, why is Bedeau cr@p you ask? Well as a huge critic of Mark Wright does the fact that Bedeau does less than Wright not spell it out for you? He was up for it a bit more yesterday, presumably because it was against his old club, but that has been a rare sight in my opinion.
Last edited by Magic Man Fan on Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:53 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Oh and Daz, why is Bedeau cr@p you ask? Well as a huge critic of Mark Wright does the fact that Bedeau does less than Wright not spell it out for you? He was up for it a bit more yesterday, presumably because it was against his old club, but that has been a rare sight in my opinion.

Silly comment. Judge a player when hes fit and match eh marky boy, thought you would know that! of all people!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:02 pm

Great post, MMF. If people believe that a struggling side in League Two are going to come to Bescot and go guns blazing at us (given we are top of the league. yet to concede a goal at home etc etc), then they are naive beyond belief. To that end, we (players and us) need to be patient during a game and await the opportunities that befall us - whether they be set pieces (such as yesterday) or moments of brilliance where our class sets us apart or errors from the oppo.

We won. We tried a change or two and it didn't work. The good news is that DD seems to acknowledge these lessons and move forward.

Top of the league. Gap emerging. Still better football to come. Up the Saddlers!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:03 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Walt Flanagan's Dog wrote:I spent the last ten minutes of the half hoping that we wouldn't boo them off, and most of my fellow Saddlers didn't disappoint me (kudos to the geezer in the upper FTG who was quick to remind the jeering contingent of "last season".).

That was me. Like you I was expecting the idiots to boo at half time and I deliberately stayed to tell them what I thought when my mates had gone to get a pint. I was enraged by them. Some people have no patients at all. The same idiots (there's a word keeps repeating itself here) have very short memories. They must have forgotten the M*rs*on era when we'd have given anything for a clean sheet at half time in most games with something to build on.

Face it, and face it quickly. Teams are going to come to Bescot to shut us out and make it difficult, especially in this division and especially while we are top without conceding a goal. That gives the opposition manager the easy talk of saying you've got nothing to lose, go for it and be the first to get a goal and win against them this season.

This isn't to say I think we're playing well, we're not and haven't pretty much all season but if people haven't realised by now that we don't have to play well to win in this poor division then they never will.

We maybe heading for a fall and we need more up front. In fact we need less, drop Sam. I'd rather start with 10 men. We still lack creativity which we all noticed a long time ago. It's still not affecting us though. The thing that does slightly annoy me is that Dosh hasn't really given some players more of a chance to change that for us but while results go our way why should he?

When Wrack replaced him he did exactly what I was saying a few weeks ago he would when most were saying he wouldn't get into the team. He linked the play with some nice short neat passes to give us possession and made Keates and Dobsons job easier as they had someone to make a simple pass to.

Lets get out of this division and worry about performances once we have done it. Chris Nicholl was labelled "King" yet if people put their brains into gear they'll know much of his reign was similar to what we have seen so far. If you don't enjoy it, don't go.

But Mark, I agree if Wracky plays like he did in the second half yesterday and said so in the match report. DD moved us to more of a 4 4 1 1 than a 4 4 2 and it worked. My objection, and I'll keep repeating it, that the calls for Constable's inclusion instead of Sam were misplaced, as were the ones for Wrack to replace Dobson or Keates. No, stay solid is the answer.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:09 pm

Wrack really didn't impress me much behind Butler, not because he didn't look up to it, but because he looked absolutely shagged and I was amazed he played 90 minutes, he looked shattered after 60.

I honestly thought he looked knackered with half an hour to go, and offered nothing when he went just behind Butler. He 'linked' quite nicely, but I'd still rather see two strikers up front, and Wrack coming from the middle late.

And I don't see how the calls for Constable instead of Sam are mis-placed, the fact is he wasn't even on the bench. If he had been, I'd have had him on after 20 minutes when it was clear Sam didn't really want to be out there.

The reason the game turned in the 2nd half wasn't to do with Wrack going behind Butler, it was due to getting Wrack off the left flank and actually providing us with width on both flanks.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:12 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Silly comment. Judge a player when hes fit and match eh marky boy, thought you would know that! of all people!

Don't be so patronising, prat.

Bedaeu has been fit for weeks. He has still done little to impress. There's a reason he's not being picked ahead of Wright. He's not as good.

Same old cr@p from those that think Wright is rubbish.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:13 pm

Actually, Stu, I thought it was far more to do with players getting beyond the strikers, which wasn't happening at all in the first half.

As for Constable, you know we disagree, as I just don't think he looks like a league player.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:15 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Bedaeu has been fit for weeks. He has still done little to impress. There's a reason he's not being picked ahead of Wright. He's not as good.

Mark, why does Wright playing well and keeping Bedeau out of the side mean that Bedeau is crap? I don't see that one means the other at all.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:26 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Actually, Stu, I thought it was far more to do with players getting beyond the strikers, which wasn't happening at all in the first half.

As for Constable, you know we disagree, as I just don't think he looks like a league player.

Agreed on the first one, and thats because we had genuine width which allowed both the wide men and the full backs to get forward.

Fox spent all the first half stuck in his own half, because Wrack kept wandering inside, meaning Fox couldn't get forward. That forced everything down the right hand side.

As soon as we'd got a left midfielder who covered his full back, then we'd suddenly got an extra two players getting forward down the left flank.

As for Constable, he is as much of a league player as Hector Sam is. I hate to refer to stats, but Constable has a better goals to game ration than Hector Sam does in a Walsall shirt, and Constable did it at a higher level.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

spell his name right first of all! come on, an odd appearance and a few sub appearances after an injury doesnt mean your fit, there is a massive difference between match and normal fitness. When hes match fit, i have no doubts he will eb an asset to us, and like neil says, how does that make him crap ???

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

spell his name right first of all! come on, an odd appearance and a few sub appearances after an injury doesnt mean your fit, there is a massive difference between match and normal fitness. When hes match fit, i have no doubts he will eb an asset to us, and like neil says, how does that make him crap ???

Spelling? I made a typo. Unlike the proof reader of the fanzine from Wednesbury I may add! :wink:

He is cr@p based on the performances I have seen him in which he has shown little effort which you don't need fitness for. I think he has had a fair crack of the whip as he hasn't done nearly enough to keep his place in the team for the following game when he has had a chance.

Neil, I didn't mean that when referring to Wright. I meant the people who question why people have criticised Bedeau are most likely to be those that don't want Wright in the team and don't realise who hypocritical they are being.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:22 am

Fair enough, Wright has to be number one at the moment. I think Bedeau looks quite capable of giving him a run for his money, though.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season