Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dongs (H) League - Saturday 28/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:37 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
saddlesore wrote:The ref was poor & inconsistent.

FFS, saddlesore, what does a referee have to do to please some supporters?!? This was a very difficult game to referee - any game involving one of "Mad Dog's" teams will be. The referee had an excellent game. If he made a major mistake then it was in our favour as I felt Franchise could have had at least one penalty.

Some supporters really do need to take a reality check about referees (and not just you, saddlesore). Remove your red & white spectacles or, better still, try refereeing a game. It ain't quite so simple and straightforward as it seems!

Rant over - I agree with your other comments, saddlesore, particularly the ones about Wright and Roper. :D :D

Correct about the Ref today Leamore. Yes he made mistakes, but nothing major, and if anything he was in total contrast to the Refs in recent games insofar as he DIDN'T keep stopping the game all the while.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:42 pm

Up the Dons 8)

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:44 pm

AC wrote:Up the Dons 8)

*Shakes head in disgrace*

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:45 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:

Your disapproval only fuels my support :D

Pelsall_Saddler

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:49 pm

Why AC, why?!!!

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:50 pm

AC wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:

Your disapproval only fuels my support :D

If you support them..Joke of a club, Id rather you stick to them then, Rather than following the saddlers Thanks.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:59 pm

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:19 pm

PerStener wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Why people stood up and gave mark wright a standing ovation i dont know, good player, but he was powderpuff today.

Maybe because we don't boo our own players anymore.... supporting a player is better for his morale then booing him off the pitch. He's been good earlier this season so the one who stand up and gave him a standing ovation maybe appriciate what he have done earlier this season. :roll:

he is 2nd in assist in League 2 this season so he is certainly an important player for us.. Just wish he gets a confidence boost from this standing ovation and bounce back and makes 2 assists against Torquay next saturday. :D

i didnt say boo him did i!

I think hes a great player but today he was just crap.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:02 am

Pelsall_Saddler wrote:Why AC, why?!!!

http://neilinnes.org/Q-R.htm#raggydolls

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:05 am

WFC_Rob wrote:The draw was a fair result today, I thought. I also think Phil is correct in saying that we didn't help ourselves by playing the long ball constantly. Most of the problem lies in the fact that we have midfielders who hide when they should be offering themselves for an easy ball out from defence. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but if we had an in-form Simon Osborn on the field instead of Keates, we'd play with a lot more fluency.
Wright has been very good recently, perhaps one of our best players, but he was truly woeful today, as were Keates and Sam. I thought Gerrard and Roper played pretty well considering the strikers they were playing against. Taylor was his usual steady self, but still has a habit of looking for the 'glory' pass too often instead of a simple ball.
Things need changing up front for me. Butler works his socks off for 90 minutes of every game, and I just wonder sometimes what he must be thinking as he goes chasing another seemingly lost cause while Sam stands on the halfway line, hand on hips, before throwing himself to the floor when anyone makes contact with him. I'd rather play Dann up front than Sam, but realistically, I think we need a new striker.

Seems a bit harsh to be making critical comments after we've just kept another clean sheet and maintained our unbeaten record against one of the best strike partnerships in the league, but I seriously think we could have won the game if we had taken a slightly different approach (ie, less of the long balls). We brought Ishmel on, and didn't give him the ball for 10 minutes - that summed the performance up really.

Today also made me realise how much I dislike MK Dons. Martin Allen and his assistant are just irritating to watch on the touchline, Izale McLeod is the worst cheat I've ever seen and has a cocky attitude that only works if your name is Thierry Henry, and their fans are simply a joke. On the train back, I was asked by one of their fans how impressed I was with the growth of their fanbase over the last 2 years. His mate then revealed that he used to be a West Ham fan. :roll:

oh for an osborn of last year. kinsella could be tha man but we never play him(/ he does not want to play)

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:10 am

Its interesting to see the MWBA (mwas) havent commented tonight! haha! :D

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:49 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Its interesting to see the MWBA (mwas) havent commented tonight! haha! :D

Not his fault if the service is about as useful as an impotent grandad in a brothel...

Hoof, hoof, hoof... Perfect way to use him.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:52 am

That was always going to be hard, and I'm happy with a draw, and AGAIN no goals conceded at Fortress Bescot.

If anyone's moaning, it'll be those who expect three points every game at home, and that's just not possible, however good we think we are.

Midfield sounds as it has all season - somewhat lacking, but today's opponents were better than most of the dross this division has to offer. I'm happy with that point.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:15 am

I tend to agree with Stu , DD's tactics were way off , was because MK were a threat , or was it to protect our home record i don't know . but we were to negative to much long ball and the lack of a creative midfielder really showed .

sj
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:59 am

Picken will be the creative midfielder we lust, even though he plays at the back-- he will I promise you. If he plays that is.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:07 am

sj wrote:Picken will be the creative midfielder we lust, even though he plays at the back-- he will I promise you. If he plays that is.

It will be too late for this season. He seems to have a permanent sick-note.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:13 am

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

Match report. Sorry, but Keates is too lightweight, always has been. He was never able to compete yesterday, which is where our troubles started. Also, as far as Wright is concerned, give Lewington some credit.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:23 am

Stu - where I felt DD got it wrong was not at least having Constable as a substitute. I agree it was desperation to bring on Scott Dann (who I thought did remarkably well considering he is a centre half) but we had no physical presence up front against O'Hanlon and Diallo. It was never going to be Hector's game against them but to be fair the service to any striker was very poor. I thought Constable had a decent game last week against Stanley and deserved a place on the bench at least.

The defence as a unit was excellent - perhaps bar the distribution from both full backs. Craig Pead first half I dont think found a red shirt!! Overall our passing was poor and in the end I was pleased with the point.

I dont know why McLeod has to do it. He was booked after the third dive and then seemed to disappear from the game until the last ten minutes. I think the booking and to a certain extent the crowd got to him - I also agree Hector could make more of an effort to stop on his feet!!

futuresobright

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:29 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Shows how far we have come when people are disappointed with a draw against a team in play offs and another home game withour conceding!

Classic rewriting of history. This time last year when we drew at home against MKD, despite dominating the game, this site was filled with angry posts demanding Bonser to act. Yesterday we were lucky to get the point, and UTS posters are still giving thanks to our saviour DD. It shows not how far we've come but how far we have dropped. Anyone prefer Butler to Matty or Jorge? On his performances over the last month he needs to join Sam and Bedeau on the bench and while Nichols and Constable lead the line.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:36 am

futuresobright wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Shows how far we have come when people are disappointed with a draw against a team in play offs and another home game withour conceding!

Classic rewriting of history. This time last year when we drew at home against MKD, despite dominating the game, this site was filled with angry posts demanding Bonser to act. Yesterday we were lucky to get the point, and UTS posters are still giving thanks to our saviour DD. It shows not how far we've come but how far we have dropped. Anyone prefer Butler to Matty or Jorge? On his performances over the last month he needs to join Sam and Bedeau on the bench and while Nichols and Constable lead the line.
Thats right mate...bring back that tactical mastermind merson eh?... :wink:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:40 am

futuresobright wrote:

yup I prefer Butler to Fryatt :lol:

not a brilliant game, but happy with the point.I'm not bothered about the clean sheet record it will fall before the end of the season it's points I'm interested in to get us out of this dire league

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:41 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

Match report. Sorry, but Keates is too lightweight, always has been. He was never able to compete yesterday, which is where our troubles started. Also, as far as Wright is concerned, give Lewington some credit.

Yes Lewington did play well,but,Any decent full back could have kept a very low in confidence MW quiet today.The first time anyone turned him and ran at him didnt Bedeau (I think) nut meg him and was away.
I would just love MW to play at the start, and at 0-0 the way he plays at 2-0 up etc. Confidently.Please.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:44 am

futuresobright wrote:

twerp

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:45 am

Perhaps I dreamed this while I dropped off during the turgid first half but it seems Fox's sitter from about 10 yards in the first half has been airbrushed out of history. He had time, was centrally positioned and scuffed it straight at the keeper.

We desperately need some guile and creativity in central midfield else I can see us slipping out of the automatic promotion spots before very long.
Last edited by booster cogburn on Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:50 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

Totally agree about Keates Neil , and have said so many times.
I'm not a big fan of Wrack , but i feel he do a job for us in centre mid.
MK did thier home work on Wright , Lewington played him very well.
For me the main fault that showed yesterday was the lack of creativity, Having said that you would take 4 points from Acrrington away and MK Dons at home.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:56 am

futuresobright wrote:

Your a nob

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:58 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
futuresobright wrote:

Your a nob

Have'nt you missed a letter out. :lol:

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:10 am

booster cogburn wrote:We desperately need some guile and creativity in central midfield else I can see us slipping out of the automatic promotion spots before very long.

Bl00dy hell Booster at this rate if we lose on Saturday you'll have us as relegation candidates. We drew against a team of giant, elbow wielding thugs. We won't come across many teams like that the rest of the season.
Have faith in DD I'm sure he'll find us a decent loan signing or a couple of quality players in the transfer window. KEEP THE FAITH.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:13 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Its interesting to see the MWBA (mwas) havent commented tonight! haha! :D

Erm, its because the MWAS went out on the sauce last night dear boy rather than talking to mirrors with pictures of the leaning tower of poon on.

Wright wasnt as good as normal today, as Stu says the service was poor but also Lewington was probably the best full back (apart from ours) at this level helped by the fact hes dropped the divisions with MKjoke and played against far better wingers in his side show bob impersonating time.

Regarding the ref, I thought he could have given the penalty for Mcleod but he could have also sent him off for three different dives. The match report says he was too eager to let the game flow and I do agree with that.

Roper was excellent today, the tackle he put in the second half on dyer?? or mcleod?? was exceptional, if that was in the premiership Alan Hansen would jazz himself over it. The defence were rock solid and that was shown in the amount of chances, I was only worried when Platt broke free for the header and it was their only "real" chance as was Dann's for us.

The lack of creativity is a bit worrying but apart from Lincoln and MK I dont think we will miss it that much, theyre the only teams im worried about as I think Swindon will implode after losing a management team they courted for quite a while...

For all the bad press about Keates game today, he couldnt really be expected to do a stellar job considering the guys he was up against were about 8 inches taller than him (I saw him in the Boner suite and he has such a small head) The passing was loose by both Dobson and Keates when they had the ball and for once Dobson's control wasnt as good as normal and that is what pissed me off most about the game yesterday, if our passing was 10% better wed have killed them IMO.

4 points from an in form Accy and still no goals conceded at home, roll on the merry saddler bus.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:16 am

Maverick wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
futuresobright wrote:

Your a nob

Have'nt you missed a letter out. :lol:

Yes he wasn't worthy of it

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season