Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dongs (H) League - Saturday 28/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:20 am

futuresobright wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Shows how far we have come when people are disappointed with a draw against a team in play offs and another home game withour conceding!

Classic rewriting of history. This time last year when we drew at home against MKD, despite dominating the game, this site was filled with angry posts demanding Bonser to act. Yesterday we were lucky to get the point, and UTS posters are still giving thanks to our saviour DD. It shows not how far we've come but how far we have dropped. Anyone prefer Butler to Matty or Jorge? On his performances over the last month he needs to join Sam and Bedeau on the bench and while Nichols and Constable lead the line.

I know I shouldnt reply to the obvious wind up......

No....

Damn you ****bag!!!! [mod - labguage]

We scored a last minute header which we didnt deserve, Merson was about to get the haranguing of his life from everyone at Bescot but Benno popped up with about 3 seconds to go which made the crowd falsely happy. I couldnt even celebrate it because in my head I knew it kept him in a job for another month, the utter c**t and you are an utter c**t

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:38 am

Gary mentioned the Roper tackle on Mcleod

reminded so much of the Booby Moore tackle on Pele in the 1970 world cup.
Last edited by Duke on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:39 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Its interesting to see the MWBA (mwas) havent commented tonight! haha! :D

Roper was excellent today, the tackle he put in the second half on dyer?? or mcleod?? was exceptional, if that was in the premiership Alan Hansen would jazz himself over it.quote]

reminded so much of the Booby Moore tackle on Pele in the 1970 world cup.

Agreed dear boy, waited and waited then bang!

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:40 am

futuresobright wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Shows how far we have come when people are disappointed with a draw against a team in play offs and another home game withour conceding!

Classic rewriting of history. This time last year when we drew at home against MKD, despite dominating the game, this site was filled with angry posts demanding Bonser to act. Yesterday we were lucky to get the point, and UTS posters are still giving thanks to our saviour DD. It shows not how far we've come but how far we have dropped. Anyone prefer Butler to Matty or Jorge? On his performances over the last month he needs to join Sam and Bedeau on the bench and while Nichols and Constable lead the line.

The situations are definitely not the same.
When we played MK last season we were mid table and they were bottom 4 with a sh*te away record.

It was a 1.00 KO due to an England game, and I chose to miss the game in favour of watching
my daughters U11 team, because up to that point the football served up had been attrocious.

I was surprised that we held a mid table position at the time, but this was obviously before the M****n
ultimate fitness regime kicked in fully.

Are you for real ?

Do you actually go to games, or just sit on the sofa at home and pontificate based on results ?

I think you might be the one with the rosey coloured specs that is trying to re-write history.
Are you saying honestly that you enjoyed the football served up over the last couple of seasons
or have you been in a coma ?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:59 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
futuresobright wrote:

I know I shouldnt reply to the obvious wind up......

No....

Damn you barclays!!!!

We scored a last minute header which we didnt deserve, Merson was about to get the haranguing of his life from everyone at Bescot but Benno popped up with about 3 seconds to go which made the crowd falsely happy. I couldnt even celebrate it because in my head I knew it kept him in a job for another month, the utter c**t and you are an utter c**t

Say it how it is mate :D I agree obviously

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:45 am

People are over-reacting spectacularly at times here and need to regain some perspective.
A third of the season in and we're 2nd on goal difference, I don't think anyone would have turned their nose up at it on Day 1.

As a team we played into Martin Allen's hands in the first half. The referee was determined let the game flow which was to his credit. However, the last thing we should be then doing is playing the ball high to Sam who looked totally out of his depth. This does not however make him a poor player, credit the defensive organisation of the opposition. The same applies to Wright, this was a step too far for him, he's better against poorer full backs than Lewington.

The main difference, and let's hope FSB is still reading, is that Mr Money instantly corrected this at half-time. As soon as we kicked off the ball was on the deck and out wide, we looked like a class team at times and outplayed Martin Allen's brilliant homework and organisation.

Even the substitutions were spot on, Sam was not going to win a thing and Dann was exactly the right move, his link up play and leading the line were brilliant. It looks a bit bleak for Constable I agree, but Dann has played superbly at both ends this season. Keates was no match for MK's midfield giants and we combatted this with width. They didn't like being stretched across the park and suddenly looked highly immobile other than on the break, this led to Dyer and Crookes coming on. Wright was fading dramatically and Bedeau was the right move and made a difference.

Roper was magnificient and scores 11 out of 10 for leading the defence today. Yes Ince played well, but Roper should get MoM for his Bobby Moore-esque tackle on the disgraceful McLeod alone.

This was a stern test today and another day one of our chances might have counted, as indeed one of theirs. If we play the same way next week, particularly the second half, then we'll have little trouble brushing aside Torquay United. We have not become a bad team and we've merely learnt about one or two players' limitations. We have the squad to cope, as was shown by the substitutions.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:52 am

That post had far to much thought, and intelligence in it for future so bright to understand

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:56 am

Ian Roper the new Bobby Moore.

Loving it :lol:

Glitterati

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:13 pm

leics_saddler wrote:People are over-reacting spectacularly at times here and need to regain some perspective.
A third of the season in and we're 2nd on goal difference, I don't think anyone would have turned their nose up at it on Day 1.

As a team we played into Martin Allen's hands in the first half. The referee was determined let the game flow which was to his credit. However, the last thing we should be then doing is playing the ball high to Sam who looked totally out of his depth. This does not however make him a poor player, credit the defensive organisation of the opposition. The same applies to Wright, this was a step too far for him, he's better against poorer full backs than Lewington.

The main difference, and let's hope FSB is still reading, is that Mr Money instantly corrected this at half-time. As soon as we kicked off the ball was on the deck and out wide, we looked like a class team at times and outplayed Martin Allen's brilliant homework and organisation.

Even the substitutions were spot on, Sam was not going to win a thing and Dann was exactly the right move, his link up play and leading the line were brilliant. It looks a bit bleak for Constable I agree, but Dann has played superbly at both ends this season. Keates was no match for MK's midfield giants and we combatted this with width. They didn't like being stretched across the park and suddenly looked highly immobile other than on the break, this led to Dyer and Crookes coming on. Wright was fading dramatically and Bedeau was the right move and made a difference.

Roper was magnificient and scores 11 out of 10 for leading the defence today. Yes Ince played well, but Roper should get MoM for his Bobby Moore-esque tackle on the disgraceful McLeod alone.

This was a stern test today and another day one of our chances might have counted, as indeed one of theirs. If we play the same way next week, particularly the second half, then we'll have little trouble brushing aside Torquay United. We have not become a bad team and we've merely learnt about one or two players' limitations. We have the squad to cope, as was shown by the substitutions.

Great post, in agreement with all of that. Up The Saddlers

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:23 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:Ian Roper the new Bobby Moore.

It was a great challenge, one of those where Ropes either wins the ball spectacularly, or completely mistimes it, arrives minutes after the ball has gone the other way, and injures the opposition player! :lol:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:41 pm

Mike T. wrote:Stu - where I felt DD got it wrong was not at least having Constable as a substitute. I agree it was desperation to bring on Scott Dann (who I thought did remarkably well considering he is a centre half) but we had no physical presence up front against O'Hanlon and Diallo.

Agree entirely, however I think yesterday was a quite clearly the end of James Constable's Walsall career as it proved that, unless he was injured, Money doesn't rate him.

He'd gone from leading the line in a good away win, to not even making the XVI... He'd have sat in the stands and seen the lad who started the season as a youth team centre half come on as a intent striker with 38 minutes to go.

A kick in the teeth if you ever saw one.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:53 pm

leics_saddler wrote:People are over-reacting spectacularly at times here and need to regain some perspective.

Quality summing up. You should post more often!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:05 pm

we were totally out muscled yesterday

horrible football from both teams

Roper outstanding again

we still haven't conceded at home

despite MK having a right go at us, they still couldn't beat us

agree about the lack of creativity from midfield, it's been said many times before, the problem is though, will DD play a creative midfielder in place of a defensive midfielder "we build from the back", I doubt it very much

onwards and upwards to promotion still

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:44 pm

It was a tough game against a typical Martin Allen side. Big, strong, organised, tough to break down, tough to create chances against. You can't fault him for that. They were easily the best side we've faced at home this season.

It didn't help that far too many of our players had off days though and it's not a coincidence that all out worst performances this season have come when a) the central midfield didn't perform and b) we haven't been able to string two passes together, yesterday, Barnet, Grimsby.

People always single out Wright and Keates for criticism and the rest of us will have to live with that but Dobson once again was the worst player on the pitch. He has had two good games for us yet is adored. He wants to buck his ideas up. Good player but doesn't show it enough but still Keates gets all the flak, I don't understand it. I really would put Kinsella or Wrack in there to give us the creativity we lack.

Wright wasn't as good as recent weeks, he never is when he knows he's up against a good full back and Lewington Oompa Lumpa is one of the best in the division along with their other one Jamie Smith. The problem is Bedeau was worse which is why Wright is clearly first choice for a reason. Came on as sub and didn't look interested.

Butler clearly wasn't fit and was well of the pace, he wasn't even positioning himself well when he should have been feeding off flick ons from Dann he was way too far away from him.

I don't know what Constable has to do to get a chance. Sam was yet again awful and dives at every opportunity instead of helping the team and staying on his feet.

On the positive side we defended excellently and Ince was superb again. All the back four were great but Pead's distribution was average at best. Roper was Roper, immense.

Just one of those days I think when too many didn't perform when we needed top performances againt good opposition (like against Wycombe when we raised our game).

Another clean sheet, another point so we can't complain but Money isn't happy with the people that did? Who were these people complaining? Presumably in the OAP Stand? We'd have given everything for an organised if under par display like that last season, just remember how far we have come....you moaning old b@stards. ;)

Frustrated yes because if we'd played to our potential we'd have won, but not disappointed.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:49 pm

I think someone has made the right point were Bedeau in one instance showed that mark wright had an off day. The beforementioned nutmeg and where Lewington blocked him, is all MW needed to do. Not his sort of game at all, I wouldnt go as far Phil says to say he is crap, he IS a good player, but yesterday when he needed to come out and play, he completely bottled it.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:52 pm

I think your forgetting Mark that Sam (unfortunately for you! haah!) has scored 3 times this season, with Constable getting zero, Yes Hector has played more times, but Thats because he is better than JC. I went to see him play in the reserves a few weeks ago, and he was so poor, i thought he was Barrowman. I think we should get rid of him in January, and bring another striker in, if money is a problem.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:56 pm

Constable is just not a pro footballer, in fact, he's gash

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:59 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I think your forgetting Mark that Sam (unfortunately for you! haah!) has scored 3 times this season, with Constable getting zero, Yes Hector has played more times, but Thats because he is better than JC. I went to see him play in the reserves a few weeks ago, and he was so poor, i thought he was Barrowman. I think we should get rid of him in January, and bring another striker in, if money is a problem.

Absolute b*******

[Mod - language]

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:00 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I think your forgetting Mark that Sam (unfortunately for you! haah!) has scored 3 times this season, with Constable getting zero, Yes Hector has played more times, but Thats because he is better than JC. I went to see him play in the reserves a few weeks ago, and he was so poor, i thought he was Barrowman. I think we should get rid of him in January, and bring another striker in, if money is a problem.

Absolute bollocks

Handbags :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:03 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Absolute bollocks

Handbags :D

Cos he knows im right! You can see from his comment, he hasnt really explained himself really ;)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:03 pm

Seemed pretty clear to me :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:07 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Seemed pretty clear to me :wink:

i think we all do! :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:13 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

It was a great challenge, one of those where Ropes either wins the ball spectacularly, or completely mistimes it, arrives minutes after the ball has gone the other way, and injures the opposition player! :lol:

Agreed. BUT, last season it was more the latter, Phil - especially early on. This season is more the former. Not a red card in sight for him this season, and I think that's because his improved fitness means he arrives to the ball on time.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:21 pm

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Agreed. BUT, last season it was more the latter, Phil - especially early on. This season is more the former. Not a red card in sight for him this season, and I think that's because his improved fitness means he arrives to the ball on time.

Yes, I also think Gerrard has grown in maturity this season. I know he got player of the season last year, but he's improved a lot this season. He still has his off days, but he's immense most of the time, and he is only young. We have the strongest central defensive stable in this league by far. Scott Dann, well, I tip him for greatness. Playing up front yesterday, he's got a touch on him, good in the air and in the tackle. Put him at the back and he's superb, it's a real problem for dd to choose from them 3

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:23 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Scott Dann, well, I tip him for greatness. Playing up front yesterday, he's got a touch on him, good in the air and in the tackle. Put him at the back and he's superb, it's a real problem for dd to choose from them 3

I agree. Mick Kearns rates him very, very highly (he lodged with Mick Kearns through the youth team). I think he is a real prospect at a higher level - hopefully at least initially, with us.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:23 pm

I for one would like to see more of Dann playing upfront , he really impressed me yesterday.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:26 pm

Dann is class, Gerrard is fine at this level but I don't understand why Dann isn't ahead of him :?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:26 pm

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Scott Dann, well, I tip him for greatness. Playing up front yesterday, he's got a touch on him, good in the air and in the tackle. Put him at the back and he's superb, it's a real problem for dd to choose from them 3

I agree. Mick Kearns rates him very, very highly (he lodged with Mick Kearns through the youth team). I think he is a real prospect at a higher level - hopefully at least initially, with us.

Yes, but with Bonser, £50k from Forest and he'll be on his way! :lol:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:28 pm

That's gash...

Sam has been below par all season, he is a poor mans Izale McLeod except he doesnt' score as much and doesn't dive as well.

Sam goes down quicker than Heather McCartney around a rich bachelor, except he does it on the halfway line when we've cleared a ball, instantly giving possession away.

May I point out that Constable's goals to game record for Walsall is better than Hector Sams, and it was at a higher level than sam is currently playing.

If we should be releasing Constable, we should be releasing Nicholls. After all, they've only been pro footballs for the same length of time. Constable has been a professional footballer for 10 months and folk are criticising him, what the hell do you expect? Him to walk around balancing the ball on his knob whilst waltzing around defenders?

Sorry, but for someone who claims to be a footballer, you should also know far better than to judge on 1 reserve game and should know the importance of needing time to adjust and settle in...

Let's just hope the Boldmere fans aren't as quick to judge eh!!! :roll:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:37 pm

Just got back from Walsall after travelling up for the game yesterday.

Think we were a bit mediocre but not as bad as somer are saying. I said before the game that it would be close as it has been in all the games against the Dons in the last few years.
The ball up in the air a lot didn't seem to be helping but our players were hardly trying to get it on the floor.
Demontagnac looked good when he came on and so did Dann.
Think McLeod was unlucky not to get a penalty but i think the ref was influenced by him diving and cheating earlier on anyway so he got what he deserved really. When he got booked he'd actually got past Roper on the byeline and if he'd stayed on his feet could have laid it back to one of his team mates but instead realised he was in the box and went sprawling. Fully deserved booking.
We were a bit lucky on a few occasions. The first corner that came in low at the near post, think it was Taylor tried to clear it and missed, could have easily deflected in but instead went straight through everyone. The cross/shot from Dyer i think that looped over Ince looked like it was going over then dropped at the last second hit the post and then a bemused Ince as it came off him and went back out. The Ince fumble and recover from another long shot.

At the end of the day it would have been nice to get a win but as people have said they are a side that will be challenging either near the top or at least playoffs so it could have been worse. We've still not lost at home and we still have not conceded at home, (just)!!
1 point is better than none. We're only 2nd on goal difference and still 3 points ahead of 3rd.
Lets see how we bounce back against Torquay! 8)

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season