Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dongs (H) League - Saturday 28/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:37 pm

Well then, i think a draw was probably the fiar result, they were the best team we have played so far at home, we were bullied out of it to be honest.

Ince - Again brilliant, powerful and commanding.

Pead - I thought he was ok defensively, but wasnt his best game going forward, didnt have to much infront of him.
Roper - MOTM solid as ever
Gerrard - Good but needs to be more decisive.
K Taylor - I thought he was ok, got out jumped out a lot by Wilbraham.

Wright - I think the mwas would even agree today that he was poor. yes he is a good player, but there was no strength or power to his play today.
Dobson - For me hsi few mistakes were because it seemed like he was trying to do too much in midfield on his own, it looked like one versus two.
Keates - I dont really remember him playing, sums it up best.
Fox - Didnt have a kick first half, althought his screamer was a great effort, looked better when he moved inside, surprised KT wasnt pushed into midfield tho, with Foxy at left back.

Butler - No service whatsoever really.
Sam - spent most of his time on the floor, totally not his sort of game.

Subs:

Dann - I thought he was superb when he came on, great touch and linked play well.
Ishmel - Looked good when he had the ball, but his final ball is lacking, needed to get involved more.
Bedeau - came on to bolster the right hand side, his corners were a bit suspect, but i can see him starting against his former club next week.

Draw was a fair result, But he is a cheat, but Izale McCleod is a right handful. UTS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:39 pm

Bit disappointed today because, I as expected, we've come up a half decent team and we've struggled. They outmuscled us, out manoevered us and should have won.

I think we're lacking in midfield big time.

Wright: Had a really poor game today, improved in the second half, but not much. Butler was finding yards of space in the penalty area all afternoon, and Wright, Bedeau, Fox and Ish didn't manage to get one cross anywhere near him.

In fact the best cross of the afternoon came from Butler, when Dann should really have scored.

Wright was wimping out a lot, and just like I was saying last week, when the going gets tough, Mark Wright disappears. All that rubbish about him giving Ivan Campo the run around, well he didn't even make Fizz out of Coronation st sweat today! :wink:

Keates: Far too light weight, runs a lot, looks very busy, but he's incredibly inefficient. He just boots the ball half the time, he never puts his foot on it and calms the game down, and as such, MK Don's bossed the speed of the game.

Dobson was similar, often second to the ball, very very slow to move, and just cant calm the game down and take control.

Fox; probably the pick of the midfield today, did some good running, but I'd still raise questions about the interplay between him and Taylor, it's very simply stuff to pass and move, yet they're so slow, but this affects the whole team - players often have no option, players are either in no mans land [ie; with an opposition player in between them and the player with the ball] or are running away - so most of the day, our only idea was to boot the ball over the top of the defence.

Whats even more annoying is that they looked rather suspect in defence, their two centre halves looked distinctly average, it's just the opposition midfield bossed the game again, and thats why we were so poor again today, so I'd recommend we take a long hard look at our midfield. Keates, Dobson, Wright and Fox just don't operate as a unit and end up running after the ball because they're either second to the ball, or outpaced or outmuscled in 50:50 situations.

Kinsella might be an option, but I'd say a loan signing is needed.

Upfront, I'm not too worried, I think butler and sam will score us enough goals, but today the service to them was appalling today, and for those who b*m Mark Wright, have a look at today's performance - today we needed him to be big and strong and what was he? weak and very poor.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:49 pm

Sorry to be negative, but it feels like a defeat tonight. I know we came out of that with a point, but really, they should have won that, we should be bossing games at home.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:55 pm

Money's just been on the radio and said that we couldn't get the ball down and play the game we wanted too. That's bemused me a bit, because the majority of the hoofing of the ball was done by us. We struggled to keep the ball down because there was no one showing in midfield, no one with the balls the put their foot on it and pass it. We really need to start bossing the midfield, and I think Keates needs to be replaced.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Fantastic game two good teams both up for it. They were better up front and we were better in defence. A good honest game of football.

What does Clayton have to do to get MOTM?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:06 pm

I think you're being extremely hard on us phil.

This was probably the biggest most physical side we'll come up against this season. That was one hard match, but apart from a sitter that Clive Platt missed with his head 2nd half, we kept them pretty well at bay. OK, there was that one cross that bounced back to Clayton off the inside of the post, but that would just have been a total fluke if it had gone in.

Platt's sitter was levelled up by Dann's sitter from Butler's cross, Harper really should have been made to work much harder to save the ball from such a perfect cross.

The draw was the right result to the game, and I think we could have done with a couple of strong players, one up front, one in midfield, to counter their physical size and strength.

One thing's for sure, last season we'd have lost that match by some distance, but today we looked well capable of maintaining our record of clean sheets. To me, the draw always looked the most likely outcome.
Last edited by geoffwhiting on Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

merse-iah's disciple

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:27 pm

I almost entirely agree with Phil (shocking i know), i was really disappointed with us today the only players who got me out of my seat was Roper - with some of his excellent challenges, Ishy for some of his late runs and that dirty, diving B****** from MK Dons.

We had little of no goal threat, and this was down to our Midfield not getting a foot in the game. Butler took up some great positions buit was never found, i was also very annoyed that none of the Midfield were making late runs ito the box, there was never anyone there to get the knock downs or contests balls that were dropping on the edge of the area.

People were raving about Dobbo at the start of the season, i missed these games, but the in the 8 or so games i have seen this season, he has looked like someone intient on making the "big" tackle and is always on his backside having slid in and missed. He has still to convince me he is the ball winning midfielder we need.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Fair result imo, It could of gone either way. We can play alot better than that, I thought a few players had poor games, Roper was awesome, Solid at the back through out, Ince was Superb once again. That llyod dyer is a handful, that cross how the hell it didn't go in!! But that sums up our luck, If that was last year, it would of hit the post and gone in..!

Good game to watch actually, As SJ said, Both teams looking for the win. Was close at the end when Dann flicked it on..If only butler didn't make his run so early!!

Another clean sheet, Happy with a point rather than 0..Which it could of been.

Torquay home next week, Gotta get back on scoring ways against them!

UTS

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:35 pm

The draw was a fair result today, I thought. I also think Phil is correct in saying that we didn't help ourselves by playing the long ball constantly. Most of the problem lies in the fact that we have midfielders who hide when they should be offering themselves for an easy ball out from defence. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but if we had an in-form Simon Osborn on the field instead of Keates, we'd play with a lot more fluency.
Wright has been very good recently, perhaps one of our best players, but he was truly woeful today, as were Keates and Sam. I thought Gerrard and Roper played pretty well considering the strikers they were playing against. Taylor was his usual steady self, but still has a habit of looking for the 'glory' pass too often instead of a simple ball.
Things need changing up front for me. Butler works his socks off for 90 minutes of every game, and I just wonder sometimes what he must be thinking as he goes chasing another seemingly lost cause while Sam stands on the halfway line, hand on hips, before throwing himself to the floor when anyone makes contact with him. I'd rather play Dann up front than Sam, but realistically, I think we need a new striker.

Seems a bit harsh to be making critical comments after we've just kept another clean sheet and maintained our unbeaten record against one of the best strike partnerships in the league, but I seriously think we could have won the game if we had taken a slightly different approach (ie, less of the long balls). We brought Ishmel on, and didn't give him the ball for 10 minutes - that summed the performance up really.

Today also made me realise how much I dislike MK Dons. Martin Allen and his assistant are just irritating to watch on the touchline, Izale McLeod is the worst cheat I've ever seen and has a cocky attitude that only works if your name is Thierry Henry, and their fans are simply a joke. On the train back, I was asked by one of their fans how impressed I was with the growth of their fanbase over the last 2 years. His mate then revealed that he used to be a West Ham fan. :roll:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:36 pm

being a home attender only, that scum were the best team that I've seen us encounter this year. They completely stopped our midfield (with typical Allen-esque elbows and boots left in) and stopped us from playing. Put that together with Platt and diving scumbag up front, plus that cockney rodent as manager and I'd expect them to be definite candidates for automatic promotion.

Given the balance of the game, I reckon that it was a point gained rather than two lost.

As for DD and what we need to improve - still reckon that we need another decent striker as sadly Hecky aint going to be the answer. Also, if Butler was to get injured we could be seriously be in the poo with regard to automatic promo.

CHEER UP EVERYONE

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:41 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:The draw was a fair result today, I thought. I also think Phil is correct in saying that we didn't help ourselves by playing the long ball constantly. Most of the problem lies in the fact that we have midfielders who hide when they should be offering themselves for an easy ball out from defence. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but if we had an in-form Simon Osborn on the field instead of Keates, we'd play with a lot more fluency.
Wright has been very good recently, perhaps one of our best players, but he was truly woeful today, as were Keates and Sam. I thought Gerrard and Roper played pretty well considering the strikers they were playing against. Taylor was his usual steady self, but still has a habit of looking for the 'glory' pass too often instead of a simple ball.
Things need changing up front for me. Butler works his socks off for 90 minutes of every game, and I just wonder sometimes what he must be thinking as he goes chasing another seemingly lost cause while Sam stands on the halfway line, hand on hips, before throwing himself to the floor when anyone makes contact with him. I'd rather play Dann up front than Sam, but realistically, I think we need a new striker.

Seems a bit harsh to be making critical comments after we've just kept another clean sheet and maintained our unbeaten record against one of the best strike partnerships in the league, but I seriously think we could have won the game if we had taken a slightly different approach (ie, less of the long balls). We brought Ishmel on, and didn't give him the ball for 10 minutes - that summed the performance up really.

Today also made me realise how much I dislike MK Dons. Martin Allen and his assistant are just irritating to watch on the touchline, Izale McLeod is the worst cheat I've ever seen and has a cocky attitude that only works if your name is Thierry Henry, and their fans are simply a joke. On the train back, I was asked by one of their fans how impressed I was with the growth of their fanbase over the last 2 years. His mate then revealed that he used to be a West Ham fan. :roll:

From the hammers to them twerp!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:51 pm

Shows how far we have come when people are disappointed with a draw against a team in play offs and another home game withour conceding!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

MK Dongs were the toughest team we have come up against that I've seen. I think Mcloud deserves everything he gets, but had a stone wall penalty today (not the one he got booked for - but that could have been given too!). He is a cocky arrogant git - but I would have him in my team!

It was always going to be difficult to break them down today have been stuff to 5 in the week - their defence had a point to prove. I was disappointed by our midfield, the defence were solid as was Ince, I was as annoyed with Sam as much as I was Mcloud. Sam goes donw far too easily and with too much "effort" to point out that he thinks he is being fouled. Ref didn't buy it Hector! I am a big fan of his normally - but today he deserved to get sub'd. I think Dann is class and wont be around for long unfortunately.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:21 pm

We defended far to deep today and relied on the long ball .
MK were exactly what i expected , typical Martin Allen team. but i can't help thinking we showed them far to much respect which suprised me after thier recent run of dodgy results. On the plus side Roper was outstanding again and Dann what a prospect brilliant . Ince very dominant
in the box. as for rest very disappionting . we hardly created a chance and never put any pressure on the visitors .

Great to meet some many members today in the saddlers club
geoff , sid , dave , evo , dynamo z , metfan , cal , and many more i can't remember sorry if i've missed you out. geoff also pointed out surrey and stu to me but i never got chance to chat to them, next time lads.
Last edited by Duke on Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Second best in most departments today I'm afraid.

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:54 pm

Not the best of games! Never going to be when Martin Allen is the opposition manager! He always fires his teams up! They very phiscal today but also won plenty of free kicks today by going down very easy! :x

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:01 pm

Mcloud is a cheating git! To put it mildly! Yes he is an arrogant and big headed! Come Jannuary he wont be playing for them! :evil:

liamrowc52
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:18 pm

was extreamly pissed off with todays performance. i remeber two decent chances on goal, fox's speculitive effort before half time, and danns header.

the corners were crap, the majority of the crosses were crap especally from wright, the long ball tactic was a total waste of time as the bossed us for height, every long pass up to sam was cleard like wise to butler. one possative was clayton inces performance in goal which was brillient and roper played well.

i dont think they played that well we just looked poor, this in my opinion was the worst game i have seen this season, but then again, i didnt go to grimsbury.

another good point was the fact we played soo poorly but we still didnt lose, cant wait till we play well again.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:27 pm

Does anyone see a pattern developing here...or is it just me?...if you cast your mind back to those Newcastle fans (the Australian one's) when DD took over...they said he was a good manager but his tactics were very negative at times....in fact i am sure they said he was very route 1 a lot of the time...so if we accept that as a fact of life...and the fact that we haven't let a goal in at home should testify to that...and all the reports that i have heard from uts-ers on away games suggest the same...so lets just enjoy the fact that we are hard to beat...because next season in div 1 wont be so easy.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:28 pm

RED 5 wrote:Not the best of games! Never going to be when Martin Allen is the opposition manager! He always fires his teams up! They very phiscal today but also won plenty of free kicks today by going down very easy! :x

Agree with them being Pysical, There smallest player was about 8ft!

saddlesore

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Did anyone else see Izale McLeod frequently smiling & shaking hands with the referee? Jesus he'll be giving him high five next !!!! The ref was poor & inconsistent.

The Sadds second to every 50-50 ball with exception of Keates in the 1st half when he pushed the ball way way too far in front & then entered a potentially leg breaking challenge.At least he never bottled it (were you watching Mark Wright?)

As said all over this board.A typical Martin Allen side & we had no cutting edge today.I think if Clayton Ince didn't come & collect so often & so well as he did today we could have gone down two or three nil.

Roper rightly MOM

liamrowc52
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:43 pm

sid swifty wrote:Does anyone see a pattern developing here...or is it just me?...if you cast your mind back to those Newcastle fans (the Australian one's) when DD took over...they said he was a good manager but his tactics were very negative at times....in fact i am sure they said he was very route 1 a lot of the time...so if we accept that as a fact of life...and the fact that we haven't let a goal in at home should testify to that...and all the reports that i have heard from uts-ers on away games suggest the same...so lets just enjoy the fact that we are hard to beat...because next season in div 1 wont be so easy.
yeh but its crap to wach if its like today every match, we wont go up on draws!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:03 pm

Cannot be bothered to read through hundreds of words, so I'll keep it short and sweet

1) Why were WM callers saying we were lacklustre? That was identical to every home performance this season in tempo and style, only difference was we played a half decent team.

2) I hate Izale McLeod, but let's not forget Hector Sam eh!!! The bloke spent all afternoon falling on his arse and waving his hands wanting a free kick, the only trouble is that McLeod is good at it, Sam is useless at it.

3) Pre-season concerns about a lack of attacking creativity showed as soon as we came up against a really good side, nothing at all until Ishmel came on.

4) We must presume that James Constable's Walsall career is over, from the first XI to not even in the XVI. What sort of signal is it when a lad who started as a youth team centre half is now coming on up front to make an impact, which brings me to my last point.

5) Utter amazement at seeing Scott Dann come on as a striker... I can understand it with 10 minutes left when in desperation, but there were 38 minutes left. The lad won balls in the air, but it was pointless as that is Butler's job, Butler isn't the 'knock down chaser'. I'm sorry, but it really was a poor tactical move and if Merson had done it, he'd have been criticised for it, so I won't be two-faced and not mention it. That was a stinker Dickie, an absolute stinker.

Without doubt, MK are the best team I've seen this season and if they'd nicked it, I'd have no complaints.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:11 pm

berfore the Wycombe,stanley and MK Dons match I was pleased with 4 points and now we got 7 points of 9 so I'm really pleased with the results from the 3 last matches...

MK Dons seems like the strongest and most physically team we meat so far and 1 pt is good enough for me.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:17 pm

Today we showed that defensivly we can cope with a big team, but maybe not when we go forward, at home why we didnt have it on the floor more i dont kno, the only idea money seemed to have was bring on dann to lump it up too. Which in all fairness would of worked if we had a striker to run on to it.
I felt butler wasnt his usual self today, although he had no service and was marked up tight.

Why people stood up and gave mark wright a standing ovation i dont know, good player, but he was powderpuff today.

Defence was solid enough with that diving B*stard about.

Ince, luckiest goalie ever from that one that hit the post. :lol:

Still, no goals conceded. And in matches liek that you can see why money wants to sign another striker.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:28 pm

latviancheese wrote:Why people stood up and gave mark wright a standing ovation i dont know, good player, but he was powderpuff today.

Maybe because we don't boo our own players anymore.... supporting a player is better for his morale then booing him off the pitch. He's been good earlier this season so the one who stand up and gave him a standing ovation maybe appriciate what he have done earlier this season. :roll:

he is 2nd in assist in League 2 this season so he is certainly an important player for us.. Just wish he gets a confidence boost from this standing ovation and bounce back and makes 2 assists against Torquay next saturday. :D

Pelsall_Saddler

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:20 pm

We aint top of the league, say we aint top of the league!!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:23 pm

saddlesore wrote:The ref was poor & inconsistent.

FFS, saddlesore, what does a referee have to do to please some supporters?!? This was a very difficult game to referee - any game involving one of "Mad Dog's" teams will be. The referee had an excellent game. If he made a major mistake then it was in our favour as I felt Franchise could have had at least one penalty.

Some supporters really do need to take a reality check about referees (and not just you, saddlesore). Remove your red & white spectacles or, better still, try refereeing a game. It ain't quite so simple and straightforward as it seems!

Rant over - I agree with your other comments, saddlesore, particularly the ones about Wright and Roper. :D :D

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:30 pm

Stu wrote:Cannot be bothered to read through hundreds of words, so I'll keep it short and sweet

1) Why were WM callers saying we were lacklustre? That was identical to every home performance this season in tempo and style, only difference was we played a half decent team.

2) I hate Izale McLeod, but let's not forget Hector Sam eh!!! The bloke spent all afternoon falling on his backside and waving his hands wanting a free kick, the only trouble is that McLeod is good at it, Sam is useless at it.

3) Pre-season concerns about a lack of attacking creativity showed as soon as we came up against a really good side, nothing at all until Ishmel came on.

4) We must presume that James Constable's Walsall career is over, from the first XI to not even in the XVI. What sort of signal is it when a lad who started as a youth team centre half is now coming on up front to make an impact, which brings me to my last point.

5) Utter amazement at seeing Scott Dann come on as a striker... I can understand it with 10 minutes left when in desperation, but there were 38 minutes left. The lad won balls in the air, but it was pointless as that is Butler's job, Butler isn't the 'knock down chaser'. I'm sorry, but it really was a poor tactical move and if Merson had done it, he'd have been criticised for it, so I won't be two-faced and not mention it. That was a stinker Dickie, an absolute stinker.

Without doubt, MK are the best team I've seen this season and if they'd nicked it, I'd have no complaints.

Totally spot on Stu in all respects. I think that we need extra quality in Midfield and up front someone like Steve Fletcher at Bournemouth.

Pelsall_Saddler

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:32 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
saddlesore wrote:or, better still, try refereeing a game. It ain't quite so simple and straightforward as it seems!

Damn true!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season