Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dongs (H) League - Saturday 28/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:40 pm

Im not judging after one reserve game, its what ive seen of him so far, i am suggesting another striker instead of him would be a better option, thats all..

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:42 pm

Stu wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I think your forgetting Mark that Sam (unfortunately for you! haah!) has scored 3 times this season, with Constable getting zero, Yes Hector has played more times, but Thats because he is better than JC. I went to see him play in the reserves a few weeks ago, and he was so poor, i thought he was Barrowman. I think we should get rid of him in January, and bring another striker in, if money is a problem.

That's gash...

Sam has been below par all season, he is a poor mans Izale McLeod except he doesnt' score as much and doesn't dive as well.

Sam goes down quicker than Heather McCartney around a rich bachelor, except he does it on the halfway line when we've cleared a ball, instantly giving possession away.

May I point out that Constable's goals to game record for Walsall is better than Hector Sams, and it was at a higher level than sam is currently playing.

If we should be releasing Constable, we should be releasing Nicholls. After all, they've only been pro footballs for the same length of time. Constable has been a professional footballer for 10 months and folk are criticising him, what the hell do you expect? Him to walk around balancing the ball on his knob whilst waltzing around defenders?

Sorry, but for someone who claims to be a footballer, you should also know far better than to judge on 1 reserve game and should know the importance of needing time to adjust and settle in...

Let's just hope the Boldmere fans aren't as quick to judge eh!!! :roll:

Thank you. Said everything I would have done as you often do.

Metfan - You can't argue with the facts which you seem to be ignoring even though Stu has reminded you of them. Constable has scored some good goals in a Walsall shirt, more than Sam at a higher level. Sam has scored a few goals that quite frankly even I could have scored.

At the start of the season I was happy for Sam to play as he was creating for Butler and was a good team player. This has stopped, does the fact that Butler has stopped scoring escaped everyone?

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:00 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Im not judging after one reserve game, its what ive seen of him so far, i am suggesting another striker instead of him would be a better option, thats all..

In which case Sam should be joining him, the difference being that Sam is a seasoned professional and James Constable has been a pro footballer for under 11 months. Therefore we release Sam and keep Constable?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:25 pm

Stu wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Im not judging after one reserve game, its what ive seen of him so far, i am suggesting another striker instead of him would be a better option, thats all..

In which case Sam should be joining him, the difference being that Sam is a seasoned professional and James Constable has been a pro footballer for under 11 months. Therefore we release Sam and keep Constable?

Or release both and get a goalscorer????? :twisted:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:28 pm

cheesebag wrote:
Stu wrote:

Release Sam, keep the young striking prospect, and get a goalscorer.

If we need to release a 2nd, take your pick one of our 5 centre halves. Any Hartlepool fans around? :idea:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:29 pm

cheesebag wrote:
Stu wrote:

But that's the point Cheese. Constable IS a goal scorer. We've seen that in a struggling team at a higer level last year and second only to Fryatt for games/goals ratio. I can understand people wiping last season from their memories but I try to remember the good things like goals. :P

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:33 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Stu wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I think your forgetting Mark that Sam (unfortunately for you! haah!) has scored 3 times this season, with Constable getting zero, Yes Hector has played more times, but Thats because he is better than JC. I went to see him play in the reserves a few weeks ago, and he was so poor, i thought he was Barrowman. I think we should get rid of him in January, and bring another striker in, if money is a problem.

That's gash...

Sam has been below par all season, he is a poor mans Izale McLeod except he doesnt' score as much and doesn't dive as well.

Sam goes down quicker than Heather McCartney around a rich bachelor, except he does it on the halfway line when we've cleared a ball, instantly giving possession away.

May I point out that Constable's goals to game record for Walsall is better than Hector Sams, and it was at a higher level than sam is currently playing.

If we should be releasing Constable, we should be releasing Nicholls. After all, they've only been pro footballs for the same length of time. Constable has been a professional footballer for 10 months and folk are criticising him, what the hell do you expect? Him to walk around balancing the ball on his knob whilst waltzing around defenders?

Sorry, but for someone who claims to be a footballer, you should also know far better than to judge on 1 reserve game and should know the importance of needing time to adjust and settle in...

Let's just hope the Boldmere fans aren't as quick to judge eh!!! :roll:

Thank you. Said everything I would have done as you often do.

Metfan - You can't argue with the facts which you seem to be ignoring even though Stu has reminded you of them. Constable has scored some good goals in a Walsall shirt, more than Sam at a higher level. Sam has scored a few goals that quite frankly even I could have scored. At the start of the season I was happy for Sam to play as he was creating for Butler and was a good team player. This has stopped, does the fact that Butler has stopped scoring escaped everyone?

I thought that was a bit unfair on Sam to be honest, MMF.

There are quite a few goals that you, or even I, could have scored, if all that's involved is hitting a vacant net, including Butler's at Grimsby for example. But it's far from that simple as you well know, it's a case of finding the position. He did that against Wycombe and lost the defenders - OK the header looked simple, but he made it that way. Similarly the tap-in at Accrington, when the ball came back off the crossbar it was simple to score, but he had to be there to take advantage.

Not saying he should be ahead of JC, although he does still hold the ball up better for me, because I think he has a bit more nous than JC. But it was JC that hit the bar at Accy from which Sam scored, so fair play to JC as well for that.

It's a tough one this, but ideally we'll get someone else in soon that'll be better than both of them - I certainly think we need that extra quality alongside MB if we're to keep up the scoring rate and stay ahead of the pack in the top two.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:38 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
cheesebag wrote:
Stu wrote:

But that's the point Cheese. Constable IS a goal scorer. We've seen that in a struggling team at a higer level last year and second only to Fryatt for games/goals ratio. I can understand people wiping last season from their memories but I try to remember the good things like goals. :P

I think you'll find the devil emotion indicated my irony :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:40 pm

Geoff I was just making a point that I haven't seen Sam score with an overhead kick, a bullett header or a clinical strike in a crowded box like I 've seen Constable do it.

Any goal is of course welcome but to defend him by saying he was in the positions to score is a bit far fetched. He's a striker, he's supposed to be in those positions and if I was the striker on the pitch I would have been in those positions to do so.

I daren't say this because I know what reaction I'll get but I will anyway. Butler has scored 6 goals already and early season looked brilliant, he has had a couple of injuries which won't have helped but I don't think yesterday was his only poor game. Without the strength in depth to rest him, the longer he goes without scoring will put the pressure on him and won't do him or the team any favours.

I hope he gets one against Torquay because we really need him to regain confidence.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:53 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Geoff I was just making a point that I haven't seen Sam score with an overhead kick, a bullett header or a clinical strike in a crowded box like I 've seen Constable do it.

Any goal is of course welcome but to defend him by saying he was in the positions to score is a bit far fetched. He's a striker, he's supposed to be in those positions and if I was the striker on the pitch I would have been in those positions to do so.

I daren't say this because I know what reaction I'll get but I will anyway. Butler has scored 6 goals already and early season looked brilliant, he has had a couple of injuries which won't have helped but I don't think yesterday was his only poor game. Without the strength in depth to rest him, the longer he goes without scoring will put the pressure on him and won't do him or the team any favours.

I hope he gets one against Torquay because we really need him to regain confidence.

Sam's first goal was a fine effort though MMF, not a tap-in, and you know as well as anyone that - yes, strikers should get into those positions - but there are plenty of times that they don't, so chances go begging. I don't think my comments were at all far-fetched in that respect.

I like the way you said you daren't say this, then you just went ahead and DID! :lol: I happen to fully agree with you about MB, he has lost sharpness and yesterday he didn't look fully fit to me, but he usually works so hard it must be difficult to leave him out of a forward line that looks a bit thin on experience and know-how whenever his name is missing.

Hopefully he'll be fitter by Saturday, and against Torquay must be the ideal opportunity for him to add to his tally - although I'll be happy if he puts himself about in his usual way, creates chances, and someone else knocks them in.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:59 pm

cheesebag wrote:I think you'll find the devil emotion indicated my irony :wink:

I thought the irony one was :wink: . There's a masterclass on emoticons from coxy or matty on another thread. :lol:

Fair do's geoff. The first goal was ok I suppose. :P

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 am

aldridge steve wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:People are over-reacting spectacularly at times here and need to regain some perspective.
A third of the season in and we're 2nd on goal difference, I don't think anyone would have turned their nose up at it on Day 1.

As a team we played into Martin Allen's hands in the first half. The referee was determined let the game flow which was to his credit. However, the last thing we should be then doing is playing the ball high to Sam who looked totally out of his depth. This does not however make him a poor player, credit the defensive organisation of the opposition. The same applies to Wright, this was a step too far for him, he's better against poorer full backs than Lewington.

The main difference, and let's hope FSB is still reading, is that Mr Money instantly corrected this at half-time. As soon as we kicked off the ball was on the deck and out wide, we looked like a class team at times and outplayed Martin Allen's brilliant homework and organisation.

Even the substitutions were spot on, Sam was not going to win a thing and Dann was exactly the right move, his link up play and leading the line were brilliant. It looks a bit bleak for Constable I agree, but Dann has played superbly at both ends this season. Keates was no match for MK's midfield giants and we combatted this with width. They didn't like being stretched across the park and suddenly looked highly immobile other than on the break, this led to Dyer and Crookes coming on. Wright was fading dramatically and Bedeau was the right move and made a difference.

Roper was magnificient and scores 11 out of 10 for leading the defence today. Yes Ince played well, but Roper should get MoM for his Bobby Moore-esque tackle on the disgraceful McLeod alone.

This was a stern test today and another day one of our chances might have counted, as indeed one of theirs. If we play the same way next week, particularly the second half, then we'll have little trouble brushing aside Torquay United. We have not become a bad team and we've merely learnt about one or two players' limitations. We have the squad to cope, as was shown by the substitutions.

Quality summing up. You should post more often!

Thank you.
I think the real problem is that I should go more often!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:40 pm

Reading Leic saddlers post sums it up well for me.
Allen set his team out to restrict us playing on Saturday, and it worked. More sides will attempt to do the same thing when we're playing at home, but I doubt many will be as effective as MK Dons were. Not a bad result against a side with some half decent players in their squad.

Exception is Mcleod. Overrated, cheating little fu*kwit. Roper should have nailed him.

mkdonsfan4082

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:36 am

derbysaddler wrote:Reading Leic saddlers post sums it up well for me.
Allen set his team out to restrict us playing on Saturday, and it worked. More sides will attempt to do the same thing when we're playing at home, but I doubt many will be as effective as MK Dons were. Not a bad result against a side with some half decent players in their squad.

Exception is Mcleod. Overrated, cheating little fu*kwit. Roper should have nailed him.

I thought saddlers looked slow on saturday. Not sure how representative of the team throughout the season so far, but you seemed to lack pace, desire and/or belief and cutting edge.

On the other hand, the Dons are just emerging from a torrid period in defence (new keeper making all the difference) and it seems to be perking the whole team up. The Spurs match (believe it or not at 0-5!) was actually a confidence booster cos we could/should have scored a couple and prevented 2 of Spurs' goals if our defence performed. So you guy's were the first opposition in our more organised and confident approach.

Funny how McLeod causes so much controversy! I don't know why he feels he has to dive (booking) when he was in a good position. He just does it! Second foul was a clear penalty and saddlers were very lucky. Ref must have been informed of his poor decision during half time - hence the conciliatory attitude to Izale in the 2nd half.

Why do u gut criticise Izale so much when Sam was such a poor excuse! At least Izale played lots of positive football throughout the game whereas Sam didnt even try - just dropped to the floor every time.

Fairer result would have been 3-1 to the Dons

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:39 am

mkdonsfan4082 wrote:

I thought saddlers looked slow on saturday. Not sure how representative of the team throughout the season so far, but you seemed to lack pace, desire and/or belief and cutting edge.

On the other hand, the Dons are just emerging from a torrid period in defence (new keeper making all the difference) and it seems to be perking the whole team up. The Spurs match (believe it or not at 0-5!) was actually a confidence booster cos we could/should have scored a couple and prevented 2 of Spurs' goals if our defence performed. So you guy's were the first opposition in our more organised and confident approach.

Funny how McLeod causes so much controversy! I don't know why he feels he has to dive (booking) when he was in a good position. He just does it! Second foul was a clear penalty and saddlers were very lucky. Ref must have been informed of his poor decision during half time - hence the conciliatory attitude to Izale in the 2nd half.

Why do u gut criticise Izale so much when Sam was such a poor excuse! At least Izale played lots of positive football throughout the game whereas Sam didnt even try - just dropped to the floor every time.

Because hes been a diving little get all his life, he was the same at derby when you were still Wimbledon. He dived twice so technically could have been sent off but dont let that cloud your judgement, I was 15 yards away, you were about 80 away.

Fair score 0-0 you hit the woodwork through 2 absolutely misplaced plays (cross and a flick on) the only real chances in the whole game were Platt and Dann's headers in the second half

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:44 am

mkdonsfan4082 wrote:Why do u gut criticise Izale so much when Sam was such a poor excuse! At least Izale played lots of positive football throughout the game whereas Sam didnt even try - just dropped to the floor every time.

Criticism of McLeod? Easy. He's got 'previous' when it comes to us. Our first experience of him was when he conned the ref at Derby into sending one of our centre halves (Danny Hay) off, even though it was clear to all people with eyes that Hay had done nothing wrong whatsoever.

He baits fans, he sneers, he has a grossly-exagerrated view of his own worth and is a dishonest excuse of a human being. That said, those are similar attributes of the club for whom he plays.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:45 am

Beat me to it, Gary.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:48 am

King Crimson wrote:Beat me to it, Gary.

Well when I saw the last post was from a franchise fan, I had to put it right.

I dont mind a bit of gamesmanship as noone is angelic, but he just takes the piss

its the fact he plays for an absoilute abbhoration of a club that gets to me aswell!!

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:49 am

mkdonsfan4082 wrote:

you missed all his diving , should have been sent off.
To be fair MK are the best side i've seen at Bescot this season .
We were way off form , and found it difficult to cope with your strenght and muscle .On reflection a nil nil draw was a fair result.
I would not be suprised if we play you in league 1 next season.

UP THE SUPER SADDLERS

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:50 am

No Sam didn't play very well, that's why he was subsitituted.
He should have coped better with being wrestled to the ground by 2 or more of your new improved defence, or elbowed in the face.
:roll:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:51 am

I cant believe they count a bollocksed up cross and a flick on that managed to hit the bar a chance meant, wouldnt mind if it was a bullet header from 6 yards out, fair play to that but they were never meant to go in and didnt.

:evil: :evil: :evil: I hate MK, really do.

mkdonsfan4082

Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:52 am

Sam was pulling many more antics than Izale on saturday - fell to the floor with no contact mostly and didnt even get a yellow. Izale dived once. Often stayed on his feet when he was clipped from behind in full flow. Clear penalty was denied.

What about Fox's antics? Was baiting Dons fans from the start giving us the finger in the 3rd minute when the ref wasnt looking.

For Gary Ellison - no-one here really cares about your anti-mk comments. Just comes across as sour grapes.

Looking forward for the home fixture. How many will you guys be bringing?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:10 pm

mkdonsfan4082 wrote:

A lot more than you brought to Bescot :D

mkdonsfan4082

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 pm

Bring an umbrella. :wink:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:19 pm

£1million well spent then?
:wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:42 pm

mkdonsfan4082 wrote:Sam was pulling many more antics than Izale on saturday - fell to the floor with no contact mostly and didnt even get a yellow. Izale dived once. Often stayed on his feet when he was clipped from behind in full flow. Clear penalty was denied.

What about Fox's antics? Was baiting Dons fans from the start giving us the finger in the 3rd minute when the ref wasnt looking.

For Gary Ellison - no-one here really cares about your anti-mk comments. Just comes across as sour grapes.

Who did you used to support? :?:

mkdonsfan4082

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:06 pm

My family. :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:26 pm

mkdonsfan4082 wrote:Sam was pulling many more antics than Izale on saturday - fell to the floor with no contact mostly and didnt even get a yellow. Izale dived once. Often stayed on his feet when he was clipped from behind in full flow. Clear penalty was denied.

You were at the wrong end, sunshine. He dived, got warned by the ref for it, dived again in the box and was booked and then did another just outside, all ignoring the "penalty" incident.

mkdonsfan4082

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Not every saddlers fan agrees with you.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:41 pm

McLeod was diving all over the place. Mind you, Sam was hardly a saint in that department was he ?

If he concentrated on running at defences rather than hitting the floor then he may become half the player you think he is Neil.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season