Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Accrington Stanley (A) League - Saturday 21/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
toffo
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:08 pm

+20

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:13 pm

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:37 pm

Exactly the kind of result that championship winning teams are made of.
We did'nt play well according to WM .but we battled and scrapped to earn a superb 3 points. Ian Roper limped through the first half , but was outstanding in the second. It will be interesting to read what the travelling fans say about the perfomance , i'm looking forward to that especially Gerrard's midfield role.

UP THE SUPER SADDLERS

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:51 pm

Superb result. Where do I sign up for the MWAS? :D

A bit of blue water developing between the top 3/4 and the rest. Well done the lads, and all who made the journey to give their support. Look forward to hearing their reports.

warrington saddler

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:51 pm

just got back,what more can you say that hasnt been said in the match report,3 points are 3 points.defense was superb especially roper and dann,and in the second half roper and gerrard.midfield was non existent throughout and accy completed bossed the midfield.upfront sam tried hard without any support other than that not much.

1300 saddlers turned up with quite a few getting there late,as somebody said it was like watching the boys at blakenhall cause if you blinked you missed the ground.

newtownal

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Brilliant result! :D ...How much support did we take?

newtownal

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:54 pm

sorry, just saw warrington saddlers post!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Antnee will probably want to frame this report from the BBC website. 'Playmaker' indeed!

Also like the bit about Mark Wright holding his nerve to score. Differs slightly from accounts which have the ball going in off his backside!

Accrington Stanley 1-2 Walsall

Mark Wright's late strike extended table-topping Walsall's unbeaten domestic run to eight games.

The visitors had taken the lead when playmaker Anthony Gerrard fed Hector Sam and he rifled home from six yards.

But Ian Craney curled home a sublime set piece from fully 25 yards to haul Accrington level.

Ten minutes later, Ishmel Demontagnac made inroads down the left flank and picked out Wright who held his nerve to calmly tuck away the winner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/i]

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Interesting to read on one of the Accy sites that we were either "poor" or "nothing special". Yet we keep picking up results, against teams in form and without two of our best players. In addition, our midfield was again overun [copyright warrington saddler]and for the upteenth game we had far less possesion than the opposition.

We really could be going up :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:02 pm

I dont think we are world beaters...but then again the standard in this league is so poor that we will get out at our first attempt (thanks to DD) just a well organised team will do well in this league...and thats what we are...next season however will be a different story...but lets just enjoy the success while it lasts...eh? :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:14 pm

sid swifty wrote:I dont think we are world beaters...but then again the standard in this league is so poor that we will get out at our first attempt (thanks to DD) just a well organised team will do well in this league...and thats what we are...next season however will be a different story...but lets just enjoy the success while it lasts...eh? :wink:

i agree, i think you just need to be organised in this league. Still i think Moneys the man to take us back to the promised land!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:23 pm

sid swifty wrote:I dont think we are world beaters...but then again the standard in this league is so poor that we will get out at our first attempt (thanks to DD) just a well organised team will do well in this league...and thats what we are...next season however will be a different story...but lets just enjoy the success while it lasts...eh? :wink:

Agreed - I hope that DD has the nous to recognise the weaknesses in the team and deal with them when we're out of the division of death. Still, I reckon that the current squad is good enough to stay upin the division above with a competent manager.

Just goes to show the managerial qualities of the fat f****** **** cockernie **** doesn't it.

[post moderated - language]

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:40 pm

1265 Saddlers in attendance according to the announcement - most of us have had terible journeys. 3 hours to get there (the whole country is going to the lake district this weekend!!!!) quicker back - but horrible weather. All above made less of a problem with 3 valuable points in the bag. Not the best - but OK on a very poor pitch against a team that will win plenty at home this season.

UTS

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:58 pm

I've heard some rubbish in my time, but the comments on Radio Lancs from the Accy manager were unreal. "We might be 14 points behind Walsall, but I know we are a better team than them" - bloody 'ell, if this load of cloggers is better than us then God 'elp us ! Idiot !

We didn't reach any heights today, but still always looked the side with more class. The pitch has so many different angles and slopes on the surface that it'd be a wonder if anyone could play proper football on it.

Add to that we played against twelve men today - the Ref WAS truly abysmal and might as well have been wearing Accy colours. The free kick from which they scored was never a free kick in the world, but he'd presented them with several of those earlier and I guess it was only a matter of time before they managed to get one of his "presents" on target. Mark that one up to the Ref, add him to their list of scorers, he deserves the credit. Utter and complete prat!

He also lectured and maybe booked Constable for arguing after an Accy defender fell over himself in their right back position, near the corner flag. Predictably the Ref had awarded Accy a free kick when he fell over, even though Constable never went within three feet of the defender so couldn't possibly have fouled him. No wonder he argued, I think I'd have grounded the stupid ba$tard!

The match report describes Accy as neat - well no - they were poor but physical. Rough and ready is how Chris and I both (independently) described them, and they would surely never have scored in a month of Sundays apart from those set pieces, 90% of which were purely presents from the Ref.

I'd agree our first goal came against the run of play, but someone had to get one, and it certainly didn't look like being in our end.

Justice prevailed in the end when we deservedly regained the lead that had been snatched away from us in such highly dubious circumstances; at least it put right the ref's misdemeanours, but it's a wonder he didn't find fault with it somehow and disallow it. It was a great fast and energetic run and cross from Asbo, his first contribution to the game after coming on. I'm not sure how Wrighty got his touch on it, the ball disappeared behind a crowd of heads in front of me, but I was well-relieved and delighted to see it nestle in the back of the net.

Three hard-earned and deserved points from a very physical and difficult battle - we were the better footballing side for the majority of the game and played most of whatever football was on view today. Accy - battlers, I'd give them no more than that on this performance - not pretty to watch, and a ground and pitch to match. Still glad they're back though, restores the faith a bit I suppose. :D

Finally thanks to whichever idiot ba$tards took the decision to move a 35 metre long low loader carrying a massive transformer between two enormous tractor units, on a Saturday, up the A34 through Newcastle-under-Lyme. We had stayed off the M6 due to long delays reported near Keele and further north, and took the A34 option instead. We were getting along very nicely until we came up behind this bloody enormous "mobile traffic jam" crawling through the northern outskirts of Newcastle, and had to turn off after an hour's delay, back to the M6 at J16 north of Stoke. If we hadn't turned off, we'd still be behind it tonight, 'cos nothing but nothing was being allowed to pass it on those otherwise fast dual-carriageways! Bloody disgraceful thing to do to traffic on a Saturday, w**k**s !

Result? A 100 minute journey took 185 minutes, we completely missed out on our arranged pre-match pint with Sheff & Geordie, and got nowt to eat but a very average-to-poor pie and chips in the ground.

Thank God the result made up for it ! :evil:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:18 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Interesting to read on one of the Accy sites that we were either "poor" or "nothing special". Yet we keep picking up results, against teams in form and without two of our best players. In addition, our midfield was again overun [copyright warrington saddler]and for the upteenth game we had far less possesion than the opposition.

We really could be going up :wink:

If that's what they thought of US, they should maybe take a look at their own team - rough and ready is the best I could offer them ! :evil:

futuresobright

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Agreed - I hope that DD has the nous to recognise the weaknesses in the team and deal with them when we're out of the division of death. Still, I reckon that the current squad is good enough to stay upin the division above with a competent manager.

Just goes to show the managerial qualities of the previous incumbent doesn't it.[/quote]

[quote has been moderated for language]

Sad that the last paragraph sees contributors to this site yet again bring shame by association on Walsall Football Club with their ignorant bile.

Equally sad that the weaknesses referred to in the first paragraph relate almost entirely to players DD himself has recrutied. Noticeable that only two of his 'additions' started the game, and only one, Ince, finished. The fact that Ince was atrocious serves to highlight how just much our standards have dropped in recent months. Just imagine how a Walsall side including Fryatt, Leitao, Bennett, Oakes and a fully fit Wrack, Nicholls and Merson would be doing in this joke of a league. Let's hope when Bonser allows DD to stengthen the team he makes a better fist of it than he did with his close season captures.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:27 pm

Great result!

Didn't play our best but the result is there and and that's all that matters and keeps you at the top of the table!

We really did miss butler, But we can still win without him which is not a worry. But if we did have him, could of been a total diffrent story!

Scott dann was superb once again and roper, Sam and JC worked hard. Mark wright well got the goal..MWAS! :lol: Credit must go to asbo for coming on and within 3 minutes put a great ball in for wrighty to get in.

Great following, Bring on the Dons! :D
Last edited by coxy_saddler on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:28 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I've heard some rubbish in my time, but the comments on Radio Lancs from the Accy manager were unreal. "We might be 14 points behind Walsall, but I know we are a better team than them" - bloody 'ell, if this load of cloggers is better than us then God 'elp us ! Idiot !

We didn't reach any heights today, but still always looked the side with more class. The pitch has so many different angles and slopes on the surface that it'd be a wonder if anyone could play proper football on it.

Add to that we played against twelve men today - the Ref WAS truly abysmal and might as well have been wearing Accy colours. The free kick from which they scored was never a free kick in the world, but he'd presented them with several of those earlier and I guess it was only a matter of time before they managed to get one of his "presents" on target. Mark that one up to the Ref, add him to their list of scorers, he deserves the credit. Utter and complete prat!

He also lectured and maybe booked Constable for arguing after an Accy defender fell over himself in their right back position, near the corner flag. Predictably the Ref had awarded Accy a free kick when he fell over, even though Constable never went within three feet of the defender so couldn't possibly have fouled him. No wonder he argued, I think I'd have grounded the stupid ba$tard!

The match report describes Accy as neat - well no - they were poor but physical. Rough and ready is how Chris and I both (independently) described them, and they would surely never have scored in a month of Sundays apart from those set pieces, 90% of which were purely presents from the Ref.

I'd agree our first goal came against the run of play, but someone had to get one, and it certainly didn't look like being in our end.

Justice prevailed in the end when we deservedly regained the lead that had been snatched away from us in such highly dubious circumstances; at least it put right the ref's misdemeanours, but it's a wonder he didn't find fault with it somehow and disallow it. It was a great fast and energetic run and cross from Asbo, his first contribution to the game after coming on. I'm not sure how Wrighty got his touch on it, the ball disappeared behind a crowd of heads in front of me, but I was well-relieved and delighted to see it nestle in the back of the net.

Three hard-earned and deserved points from a very physical and difficult battle - we were the better footballing side for the majority of the game and played most of whatever football was on view today. Accy - battlers, I'd give them no more than that on this performance - not pretty to watch, and a ground and pitch to match. Still glad they're back though, restores the faith a bit I suppose. :D

Finally thanks to whichever idiot ba$tards took the decision to move a 35 metre long low loader carrying a massive transformer between two enormous tractor units, on a Saturday, up the A34 through Newcastle-under-Lyme. We had stayed off the M6 due to long delays reported near Keele and further north, and took the A34 option instead. We were getting along very nicely until we came up behind this bloody enormous "mobile traffic jam" crawling through the northern outskirts of Newcastle, and had to turn off after an hour's delay, back to the M6 at J16 north of Stoke. If we hadn't turned off, we'd still be behind it tonight, 'cos nothing but nothing was being allowed to pass it on those otherwise fast dual-carriageways! Bloody disgraceful thing to do to traffic on a Saturday, w**k**s !

Result? A 100 minute journey took 185 minutes, we completely missed out on our arranged pre-match pint with Sheff & Geordie, and got nowt to eat but a very average-to-poor pie and chips in the ground.

Traffic was crap whichever way you ended up going - I have just had a well deserved curry having missed lunch (apart from the excuse of a tray of chips in the ground) Ref was poor - but we got the three points in the end DESPITE him

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:34 pm

futuresobright wrote:Agreed - I hope that DD has the nous to recognise the weaknesses in the team and deal with them when we're out of the division of death. Still, I reckon that the current squad is good enough to stay upin the division above with a competent manager.

Just goes to show the managerial qualities of the fat bloke doesn't it.[/quote]

Sad that the last paragraph sees contributors to this site yet again bring shame by association on Walsall Football Club with their ignorant bile.

Equally sad that the weaknesses referred to in the first paragraph relate almost entirely to players DD himself has recrutied. Noticeable that only two of his 'additions' started the game, and only one, Ince, finished. The fact that Ince was atrocious serves to highlight how just much our standards have dropped in recent months. Just imagine how a Walsall side including Fryatt, Leitao, Bennett, Oakes and a fully fit Wrack, Nicholls and Merson would be doing in this joke of a league. Let's hope when Bonser allows DD to stengthen the team he makes a better fist of it than he did with his close season captures.

INCE ATROCIOUS ?? Don't talk so bloody stupid you idiot! He is the best keeper we've had since Jimmy by absolutely light years, and arguably he has the potential - thanks to his height, reach and dominance of his box - to be even better than Jimmy. He is one of the players of the season so far, and well on the way to break Walsall FC's all-time records for clean sheets.

Frankly you argue AGAINST yourself, if only you were bright enough to realise it. The fact we have a fair proportion of players from the PM era who are playing well now, only serves to highlight more than ever just how poor PM was as a man-manager. DD gets out of the players all the things that PM couldn't. We said many times last season that the players were good enough if they had leadership, tactics, discipline and a consistent line-up - all the things that PM hadn't got and couldn't provide - but all things that DD has brought to Bescot in abundance.

I suggest this board re-names you "Oh so DIM" !

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:36 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:I've heard some rubbish in my time, but the comments on Radio Lancs from the Accy manager were unreal. "We might be 14 points behind Walsall, but I know we are a better team than them" - bloody 'ell, if this load of cloggers is better than us then God 'elp us ! Idiot !

Traffic was crap whichever way you ended up going - I have just had a well deserved curry having missed lunch (apart from the excuse of a tray of chips in the ground) Ref was poor - but we got the three points in the end DESPITE him

Spot on Steve ! :D

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:38 pm

Not a great performance but a great result.
We missed MB loads.
Agree Geoff, their manager was dead funny on the radio coming home. He had some fair points though about our attacking play both today and at Chester. I'd like to see us show a bit more away fom home. Geoff, you forget to mention the stick-on pen for them before our first goal. I felt the ref was trying to even things up for the rest of the game.
Northerners and drums. What is it?

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:41 pm

The usual futuresobright insight. 2 of Dosh's key signings unavailable today, on of whom, Butler, is one of the best strikers in the league - both of whom have been key to the good start. Ince not atrocious but solid - apart from the comedy cap incident.

issues exist over midfield, but frankly on that pitch - undulating is a kind description - nobody could play decent football. And we won. And we are top. And we are fit. And we are organised. And we are motivated.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:47 pm

I listened to the game on the OS.

After the game, the microphone in the press box was left on, and I heard all sorts of interesting titbits.

All the reporters were filing their reports, and I heard one of the Lancashire reporters refering to us as a 'pub team'. She "didn't understand it - Walsall just hoofed the ball upfield hoping to find a white shirt. The thing was, it usually did!"

One of the managers was reported as being "very angry about our defending - I haven't seen him that angry for a long time."
I couldn't work out which manager was being talked about though.

Other stuff too - very enlightening.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:49 pm

The BBC-1 reporter said that Accrington were enthusiastic, but we turned on the class and scored when we needed to, and won without getting out of first gear.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:54 pm

I had a great journey to be honest. Sheffield to Leeds, Leeds to Accrington with Geordie, his missus and Jorge. Few cans of stella and carling. Public transport, FANTASTIC.
The match - How can any manager motivate a team to play at that god for saken DUMP? I thought the Manor estate in Sheffield was bad, Accrington made it look like the Ritz.
SH!T HOLE. SH!T GROUND. and SH!T TEAM. Well done Accrington.
But Super Saddlers are just too good.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:55 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:

The BBC-1 reporter said that Accrington were enthusiastic, but we turned on the class and scored when we needed to, and won without getting out of first gear.

I think that's probably fair, we could have raised our game if we needed to, even though we were missing key-players in MB and MD.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:58 pm

Codsall Saddler wrote:And we are fit. And we are organised. And we are motivated.

Aah. Makes you feel warm all over, eh?

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:00 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:I had a great journey to be honest. Sheffield to Leeds, Leeds to Accrington with Geordie, his missus and Jorge. Few cans of stella and carling. Public transport, FANTASTIC.
[b]The match - How can any manager motivate a team to play at that god for saken DUMP? I thought the Manor estate in Sheffield was bad, Accrington made it look like the Ritz.
SH!T HOLE. SH!T GROUND. and SH!T TEAM. Well done Accrington.
But Super Saddlers are just too good.
[/b]
Very true about the ground - Walsall are not used to these kind of grounds at all, But we have gone there today..Done the job and won. That's what we need for promotion, That'll do me! :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:01 pm

WarsawPact wrote:I listened to the game on the OS.

After the game, the microphone in the press box was left on, and I heard all sorts of interesting titbits.

All the reporters were filing their reports, and I heard one of the Lancashire reporters refering to us as a 'pub team'. She "didn't understand it - Walsall just hoofed the ball upfield hoping to find a white shirt. The thing was, it usually did!"

One of the managers was reported as being "very angry about our defending - I haven't seen him that angry for a long time."
I couldn't work out which manager was being talked about though.

Other stuff too - very enlightening.

The nearest to a "pub-team" - or cloggers if you prefer - played in red today. They also have a "pub-team" ground and a farmer's field for a pitch that denies decent footballers the real opportunity to perform.

Not saying which team I'm referring to of course, but WE played in white! :lol: :lol:

The angry manager was Accie's of course, and he showed it when interviewed on BBC Radio Lancs. Made a total prat of himself really with his rantings and ravings about his team of cloggers being a better team than us.

THREE words to him - FOURTEEN POINTS PAL ! Now go check the table ! :evil:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:35 pm

futuresobright wrote:Agreed - I hope that DD has the nous to recognise the weaknesses in the team and deal with them when we're out of the division of death. Still, I reckon that the current squad is good enough to stay upin the division above with a competent manager.

Just goes to show the managerial qualities of the fat fcucking alky cockernie clown doesn't it.[/quote]

what planet do you live on? gimme Ince over Oakes anyday, Clayton is CLASS!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season