Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swansea (H) Johnson's Paint Trophy - Tuesday 17/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
sj
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 pm

Gerrard was in midfield.

Dan and Roper at the back

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:22 pm

Not a bad performance against a Swansea team with some pretty good players. First half was the worse half - after the break we looked up for it and for Swansea to score was totally against the run of play. Wrack got a typical Wrack goal and I will be happy to admit I was wrong if he can do this week in-week out.

So to pens - Taylors came off the underside of the bar and was close but not close enough. Can't remember but I think Plod's was a save.

Gerrard and Ishi both scored crackers but it was not enough in the end.

I want promotion and will take not winning the Paint Pot Trophy if we get it.

Good chat to North Staffs and Leamore made the night worthwhile. Once again I did not see you MMF until I was leaving the Boner Suite. One of these days I will actually introduce myself.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:34 pm

cyclothymic wrote:Not a bad performance against a Swansea team with some pretty good players. First half was the worse half - after the break we looked up for it and for Swansea to score was totally against the run of play. Wrack got a typical Wrack goal and I will be happy to admit I was wrong if he can do this week in-week out.

So to pens - Taylors came off the underside of the bar and was close but not close enough. Can't remember but I think Plod's was a save.

Good chat to North Staffs and Leamore made the night worthwhile. Once again I did not see you MMF until I was leaving the Boner Suite. One of these days I will actually introduce myself.

You might have seen me, I wish you would introduce yourself you seem a very interesting chap.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:37 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
cyclothymic wrote:Not a bad performance against a Swansea team with some pretty good players. First half was the worse half - after the break we looked up for it and for Swansea to score was totally against the run of play. Wrack got a typical Wrack goal and I will be happy to admit I was wrong if he can do this week in-week out.

You might have seen me, I wish you would introduce yourself you seem a very interesting chap.

Gary - I would love to meet you! Were you with MMF and the girl who is a waitress?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 pm

No, I was by the bar of course! you going to accrington?

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:48 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:No, I was by the bar of course! you going to accrington?

Nope - long overdue trip to see mummy and daddy :?

Did you see me tonight?

6'2" - all in black with a 'young guns style' brown cord coat?

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:29 pm

As usual in this competition, the game felt like a friendly, with some players on both sides not seeming that up for it - nice to see us compete well with Swansea and their goal came somewhat against the run of play, but we created precious few chances, due to a defensive midfield and not much interest being shown from our strikers. What we learned - Gerrard can't play in midfield (I think we already knew that) - Constable offered far more in his few minutes on the pitch than Bedeau had in his many minutes on the pitch - and Wrack's back!

Ironic that Kris Taylor hit his penalty too high given that every corner he took during the game trickled along the ground and was collected without difficulty by the first defender.

Ince obviously highly troubled by his injury, given the inaccuracy of his kicking, his reaction every time he kicked the ball, and Dickie's reaction every time one of our players forced him to kick it when they could have cleared it themselves.

Dann looked solid again - a really good prospect. Wrack came on, played up front for a few minutes, then moved to the right - didn't do a fat lot apart from score, but that's great considering what he's been through.

Disappointing that we didn't create a bit more given Swansea didn't seem that solid at the back, and their goalkeeper was not at all commanding on crosses (who'd have thought!?)

Will be nice to see the proper team back on Saturday though (and of course in a far more important game)...

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:55 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:As usual in this competition, the game felt like a friendly, with some players on both sides not seeming that up for it - nice to see us compete well with Swansea and their goal came somewhat against the run of play, but we created precious few chances, due to a defensive midfield and not much interest being shown from our strikers. What we learned - Gerrard can't play in midfield (I think we already knew that) - Constable offered far more in his few minutes on the pitch than Bedeau had in his many minutes on the pitch - and Wrack's back!

Ironic that Kris Taylor hit his penalty too high given that every corner he took during the game trickled along the ground and was collected without difficulty by the first defender.

Ince obviously highly troubled by his injury, given the inaccuracy of his kicking, his reaction every time he kicked the ball, and Dickie's reaction every time one of our players forced him to kick it when they could have cleared it themselves.

Dann looked solid again - a really good prospect. Wrack came on, played up front for a few minutes, then moved to the right - didn't do a fat lot apart from score, but that's great considering what he's been through.

Disappointing that we didn't create a bit more given Swansea didn't seem that solid at the back, and their goalkeeper was not at all commanding on crosses (who'd have thought!?)

Will be nice to see the proper team back on Saturday though (and of course in a far more important game)...

Absolutely right.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 am

I think when Wrack gets a few more games under his belt, he will be like a quality new signing. Although he didn't make that much of an impact on the ball, some of his runs from midfield were excellent - he just didn't have the sharpness to reach the final ball. Runs like his are the sort we haven't had for a while from midfield as nobody tends to run beyond the strikers.

In terms of the fixture itself, I'm glad we're out of the competition in many ways. The ref was terrible and booked players from both sides, mainly unecessarily, which will contribute towards suspensions we could do without. The linesman running along the Banks's stand side in the second half was practically asleep and at times, some players looked like they had been told the game didn't matter.

One other thing.......I noticed more evidence tonight of Merson's shocking management last season. Andy Oakes, for me, looked a lot more comfortable and kicked the ball a lot better than he ever did for us. Ok, he did flap at a couple of crosses, but overall, I thought he just looked more confident than we ever saw him, probably due to half-decent management.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:09 am

Not a nice way to lose a game , but when the next round is played , our boys will have a nice little rest .

Onwards and upwards UTS

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:18 am

Our well we go out on penalties to a League 1 side, without playing our best X1. Says it all really.

Fair play to the lads for giving it ago in the 2nd half but penalties seemed a certainty after the first 15 minutes!!

Whatever Oakesy said or did Gerrard wasnt impressed!!
Kris Taylor was poor last night just like he was on Saturday, Bedeau still fails to impress and like what people have said above Gerrard CANT play central midfield.

Anyway lets concentrate on the league now and beat Swansea in the league next season.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:30 am

I missed this one, not one I'm bothered about, Out first round suits me fine. Concentrate on what matters.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:43 am

cheesebag wrote:I missed this one, not one I'm bothered about, Out first round suits me fine. Concentrate on what matters.

Too right.

Priority 1 : Promotion
Priority 2 : A nice money spinning FA Cup run

Who moved the goalposts?

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:03 am

LancsSaddler wrote:did we play 3 at the back because ive just got in from the pub up here in lancs and the BBC say we played dann roper and gerrard? what was our formation?

Roper and Dann were the two centre halfs and Gerrard played central midfield with Kinsella (our best player). Gerrard was what I would call "industrious", always looking for the ball and getting forward but he doesn't think quickly enough nor have the passing ability to be a midfield player. We played the last 15 minutes with a central midfield pairing of Fox and Gerrard.

When was the last time we went out of all 3 cup competitions in the first round? Here's hoping for a decent draw in the FA Cup.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:10 am

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:
When was the last time we went out of all 3 cup competitions in the first round? Here's hoping for a decent draw in the FA Cup.

Well it won't be this year - we got to the 2nd round of the League Cup.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:33 am

I agee with Max re the defending corners. It just invites pressure. Pushing a striker out of the box pushes a defender back, so not only effective offense, it is effective defense (see how I went all american there)

I think everyone single one of us is happy with just the league and the FA cup. In the past we wasted too much time on this competition. The Bournemouth / Milwall thing was just too much of a pain in the arse. I'd rather go out at this stage.

Just occaisionally it would be nice to see a team I support win on penalties. The last one I remember was against Cambridge when Martin Butler was playing for them (in this competition I think)

Who moved the goalposts?

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:39 am

WarsawPact wrote:
Who moved the goalposts? wrote:

Well it won't be this year - we got to the 2nd round of the League Cup.

So we did! My mind must be playing tricks on me because I didn't go to Plymouth!! :oops:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 am

I would actually prefer Dann to Gerrard in centre of defence now

Gerrard for me is 4th choice centre back

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:46 am

WFC_Rob wrote:I think when Wrack gets a few more games under his belt, he will be like a quality new signing. Although he didn't make that much of an impact on the ball, some of his runs from midfield were excellent - he just didn't have the sharpness to reach the final ball. Runs like his are the sort we haven't had for a while from midfield as nobody tends to run beyond the strikers.

In terms of the fixture itself, I'm glad we're out of the competition in many ways. The ref was terrible and booked players from both sides, mainly unecessarily, which will contribute towards suspensions we could do without. The linesman running along the Banks's stand side in the second half was practically asleep and at times, some players looked like they had been told the game didn't matter.

One other thing.......I noticed more evidence tonight of Merson's shocking management last season. Andy Oakes, for me, looked a lot more comfortable and kicked the ball a lot better than he ever did for us. Ok, he did flap at a couple of crosses, but overall, I thought he just looked more confident than we ever saw him, probably due to half-decent management.

I agree with all of that Rob and with what Bristol Saddler said.

The first half was ok but nothing special. Wright and Kinsella especially looked very lively.

Second half we dominated but couldn't get the breakthough. Then they showed what we don't see in League Two from other sides (which is why we are leaders)...a great finish, similar to Kinsellas on Saturday.

That's the difference between the divisions above the one we are in.

Even with just a few minutes left we forced the equaliser though which is pleasing. It wasn't a bad result against a decent Swansea side, especially considering we had a very experimental side out which is the most important thing, DD was looking at different options for future league games.

Bill Bones

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:13 am

LancsSaddler wrote:When was the last time we went out of all 3 cup competitions in the first round? Here's hoping for a decent draw in the FA Cup.

When was the last night we won the league?! :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:15 am

Cyclo - if you want me to say hello, you have to tell me what youre wearing before!!!!!

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:03 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:Cyclo - if you want me to say hello, you have to tell me what youre wearing before!!!!!

You are assuming that I change my clothes :lol: :wink:

and I would only recognize you if you were bent double over an advertising sign :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:49 pm

The signs are too small at bescot though :cry: :cry:

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:29 pm

Gerrard looked absolutley nakkard last night playing centre midfield!

Dann and roper the centre backs for me.

WS1
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:26 pm

Stan P wrote:2-0 Swansea get out of this Mickey Mouse cup the quicker the better concentrate on the league and a win at Accy and no tants if we loose Pedro :D

You was tanting at the ref again Stan P, your like an old playing record :wink:

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:48 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:Gerrard looked absolutley nakkard last night playing centre midfield!

Dann and roper the centre backs for me.

scott dann looked very comfortable at the back , hope he plays on saturday, good at the back and if needed can make himself a real presence upfront,

gerrard looked tired , but still played well

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:08 pm

A defeat in our FA Cup, and there's a massive 86 posts on the match thread. Some people only come on here to have a moan. :wink:

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season