Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe (H) League - Saturday 14/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:13 pm

Cully wrote:Excellent game, probably the best performance of the season for me. Keats was outstanding, he never stopped running despite being outnumbered in midfield and I was more than happy to see Ince back in goal despite Bossu's impressive debut last week, the defence seem to be more confident with his domineering attitude in the box. Can't pick out any body else, they were all near to the top of their game but it was a pity that despite my obvious bias, the referee in the second half continued to favour the Wycombe strikers, in particular Mooney[fat blob] but still rather useful at this level.
Just loved Mark Wrights corner which resulted in Sams headed goal and Kinsellas strike neatly consolidated the game early on in the second half. There was the inevitable spell of pressure that we usually have to endure towards the end of the game but I am begining to feel worryingly comfortable :shock: with DD's every man behind the ball tactics at home and felt that some how Wycombe would not score even if we played for another 90 mins such is the confidence [false or otherwise] that runs through the team.
I just hope that next week at Accrington we can start to look and play like a team at the top of the division[eg first 15 mins against Shrewsbury] and not have to suffer what has often turned out to be a desparate cliff hanging game when I am praying for the final whistle just after halftime. :roll:

You are SO right about the Ref Cully, he was just unbelievable, especially second-half.

The linesman on our (Text 64446 stand) side also seemed to have an unusual degree of enthusiasm for awarding decisions against us, and not a lot FOR us. In fact, he was a total w****r IMHO!

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:19 pm

It seems that we can do no wrong at home at the moment. 7 wins out of 7, nil conceded. Yet again today another very solid, professional performance against probably the best team we have faced so far this season. Ince had to make a couple of decent saves but on the whole we looked solid at the back again. Keates played an absolute blinder in midfield and Butler worked his b*****ks off yet again. Sam took his goal well with his header but I still can't help feeling that at times he falls down rather too easily.

Great substitution again, replacing Taylor with Kinsella. While Wycombe were looking to regroup to counter the change, Kinsella hit a lovely strike into the bottom corner from distance.

Dicky Dosh's Barmy Army!!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:29 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:It seems that we can do no wrong at home at the moment. 7 wins out of 7, nil conceded. Yet again today another very solid, professional performance against probably the best team we have faced so far this season. Ince had to make a couple of decent saves but on the whole we looked solid at the back again. Keates played an absolute blinder in midfield and Butler worked his b*****ks off yet again. Sam took his goal well with his header but I still can't help feeling that at times he falls down rather too easily.

Great substitution again, replacing Taylor with Kinsella. While Wycombe were looking to regroup to counter the change, Kinsella hit a lovely strike into the bottom corner from distance.

I thought he had his best game in a while today, did well until being took off.

And a bit mention for Wrighty! MWAS!!!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:04 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:The linesman on our (Text 64446 stand) side also seemed to have an unusual degree of enthusiasm for awarding decisions against us, and not a lot FOR us. In fact, he was a total w****r IMHO!

No, Geoff, you are mixed up. Check your programme and you will see that the referee was Master Bates! :D

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:22 pm

Wycombe looked like they were going to walk all over us for the first 20 minutes, and our 1 - 0 at half time was welcome but not a reflection of the play. Second half we took control and I felt there was only going to be one wiiner from then on.

Against a very physical (and cynical) side we kept our cool - and even with a very bias ref our players did not resort to crowding round him to complain. Mr Dosh has worked a wonder job on our team - we play football and win (even against the odds).

This victory meant so much and I am still buzzing. The six or so managers on their bench were a nasty bunch and that makes the victory sweeter.

Just one thing left to say:

Clayton Ince - what a player! By far the best since Jimmy, and at times today I honestly thought he played better than Jimmy ever did

:D :D :D :D :D Now - let's find a drink :D :D :D :D :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:28 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Another great game, we've shown we aint push overs against a decent side.

Thought Pead played well, so did Keates, but they certainly weren'y my man (men) of the match - that acolade would go to Gerrard and / or Dann. Those two were rock solid at the back, absolutely rock solid. Plus Ince was superb again.

Totally agree with you on the men of the match. Other than Sam, who despite flashes of brilliant skill and a goal, did absolutely nothing, everyone played well. In the first half, before the opening goal, whilst I didn't necessarily think we'd lose the game, I didn't think we looked dominant enough to win. We upped our tempo in the second half and controlled the game. Martin Butler must be one of the hardest strikers to mark in the football league - he just never lets any defender have an easy ride. I thought Taylor played as if he was half asleep, but Fox played very well in font of him and I think our left hand side is the plus point of the season so far. Many people think we are too defensive with both Taylor and Fox on that side, but the truth of the matter is that we give away very few chances down that side and as the cliche says, clean sheets win matches.
Maybe Dicky Dosh is a lucky manager, or maybe we are just extremely fortunate to have him, but the Kinsella substitution was a masterstroke, not only because Kinsella scored the goal, but because they were getting a lot of the ball in the middle of the park and Kinsella tightened things up and allowed us to keep the ball better.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:35 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:It seems that we can do no wrong at home at the moment. 7 wins out of 7, nil conceded. Yet again today another very solid, professional performance against probably the best team we have faced so far this season. Ince had to make a couple of decent saves but on the whole we looked solid at the back again. Keates played an absolute blinder in midfield and Butler worked his b*****ks off yet again. Sam took his goal well with his header but I still can't help feeling that at times he falls down rather too easily.

I thought he had his best game in a while today, did well until being took off.

And a bit mention for Wrighty! MWAS!!!

I wasn't saying that he didn't play well just that he goes down too easily at times.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:11 pm

Somebody told me that at half time one of their players went up to the linesman, shook his hand and then they hugged :shock: No wonder all decisions went their way.

I'm sure Mooney had a direct line to the referee, everytime there was a challenge the ref would look like he was about to play on until Mooney shouted and hey presto the ref blew up. Who was running the game ref, you or the bald one ?

I was speaking to UCOW at half time and couldn't believe when he said Keates was habing a mare :shock: We all have players we don't appreciate as much but come on, Keates was inspired this afternoon.

Saigon summed it up for me after the game. He said we just drag these teams on, beat them, and then shout "Next" and drag the next team on. We are getting so efficient at beating teams without really dominating the games. Fair play, let's get the job done and get out og the God forsaken league.

Also what was up with Westwood ? We saw him driving into the carpark at 2:45.

Pride of Bescot

Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:14 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Somebody told me that at half time one of their players went up to the linesman, shook his hand and then they hugged :shock: No wonder all decisions went their way.

I'm sure Mooney had a direct line to the referee, everytime there was a challenge the ref would look like he was about to play on until Mooney shouted and hey presto the ref blew up. Who was running the game ref, you or the bald one ?

I was speaking to UCOW at half time and couldn't believe when he said Keates was habing a mare :shock: We all have players we don't appreciate as much but come on, Keates was inspired this afternoon.

Saigon summed it up for me after the game. He said we just drag these teams on, beat them, and then shout "Next" and drag the next team on. We are getting so efficient at beating teams without really dominating the games. Fair play, let's get the job done and get out og the God forsaken league.

Also what was up with Westwood? We saw him driving into the carpark at 2:45.

Money said on WM after the game that his calf was more troublesome than first thought.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Pride of Bescot wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:Also what was up with Westwood? We saw him driving into the carpark at 2:45.

Money said on WM after the game that his calf was more troublesome than first thought.

Sure it was calf trouble, not car trouble? Never can tell with the radio these days.

Good result for the lads.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Exile wrote:
Pride of Bescot wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:Also what was up with Westwood? We saw him driving into the carpark at 2:45.

Sure it was calf trouble, not car trouble? Never can tell with the radio these days.

Good result for the lads.

He looked none to pelased with the fans milling around blocking his way.

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:25 pm

There is only one Clayton Ince! :D Great keeper and entertainer! :D

dannyv

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:50 pm

Percie wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Edo wrote:1-0

Marky Wright Wright Wright :wink:

It was Marky Fall over himself and miss the ball ball ball the other night at Chester! :lol:

It was also Danny "I'm not really a winger but no one cares cos they bum me cos I came from a big club and I'm best mates with Stevie G's cousin" Fox. He had a Weston Super anddon't get me started on Bedeau. That bloke is half the player Wright is.

Take it you dont like Fox :lol:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:23 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Another great game, we've shown we aint push overs against a decent side.

Thought Pead played well, so did Keates, but they certainly weren'y my man (men) of the match - that acolade would go to Gerrard and / or Dann. Those two were rock solid at the back, absolutely rock solid. Plus Ince was superb again.

That is spot on! I thought Dann and Gerrard were fantastic and Gerrard took the 'senior role' on well, leading by example. Ince was great and looked more confident on coming for crosses, although he still spills the shots a little. Keates did play well and Butler...well, he just keeps going and going and going, absolutely brilliant.

Wright did okay but I can't remember him beating his man once or getting in that many balls, although he was better than Bedeau, who didn't impress that much again when he came on. He had one little jinky run late on but a few occasions he could have really run at their full back and he opted to slow down and stop before playing the ball inside, which led to a loss if attacking impetus. Maybe he is still getting back from his surgery but I am hoping there is much more to come from him.

Finally, DD seems to pull substitution masterstroke after masterstroke. Bringing Kinsella on really helped us and he calmed things down in the middle (despite being lucky not to injure himself on the hoardings and then not getting booked for a bit of a wild challenge). His goal was great and he didn't half show he loved it in his celebration and reaction to the crowd. It was superb to see how the team celebrated together as well. There is a real spirit between the players that is clear to see and something that hasn't been there for a few years. The end of a game also shows their togetherness. This has got to be worth a few points by the end of the season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:02 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:He had one little jinky run late on but a few occasions he could have really run at their full back and he opted to slow down and stop before playing the ball inside, which led to a loss if attacking impetus. Maybe he is still getting back from his surgery but I am hoping there is much more to come from him.

That's possibly a bit harsh given the context of the situation. We were 2-0 up, and they had just thrown on an extra striker. I wouldn't have thought DD would have sent Bedeau onto the pitch telling him to run at defenders, and put loads of crosses in - he was put on the pitch to preserve our 2-0 lead by keeping the ball and working hard to defend when required. I think he did both of those fairly well.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:09 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:He had one little jinky run late on but a few occasions he could have really run at their full back and he opted to slow down and stop before playing the ball inside, which led to a loss if attacking impetus. Maybe he is still getting back from his surgery but I am hoping there is much more to come from him.

That's possibly a bit harsh given the context of the situation. We were 2-0 up, and they had just thrown on an extra striker. I wouldn't have thought DD would have sent Bedeau onto the pitch telling him to run at defenders, and put loads of crosses in - he was put on the pitch to preserve our 2-0 lead by keeping the ball and working hard to defend when required. I think he did both of those fairly well.

I see your point, fair enough.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:23 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:

Spot on I thought, I thought Bedeau was quite clever actually. Ran into space, made himself available and slowed the game down.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:08 am

Stu wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

Spot on I thought, I thought Bedeau was quite clever actually. Ran into space, made himself available and slowed the game down.

Exactly, DD knew what he wanted, and Bedeau did the necessary.

Kinsella too, it was obvious we were losing the midfield and wasting too much possession, inviting pressure and probably an equaliser. So DD brought on MK, immediately the ball stuck with us much better, and the goal was the icing on the cake.

You could look at the text that I sent to Dave Dean from my mobile when MK came on, it said that DD was obviously worried about keeping the ball more, which is why that substitution happened. Dave will no doubt confirm what I've said when he returns from Wales.

So don't expect that a substitution with a winger means we are going to attack more, you have to consider the changes in the context of what is happening, and at that time we were two up and needing to consolidate.

I'd say that Bedeau followed instructions from DD, and did a decent job.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:55 am

One word - Machine.

Explains it all really.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:03 am

Stu wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

Agree completely. All of the subs worked, Kinsella gave us more composure, Beadeau was clever, as you say, and Constable was bought on the give us more pace and keep them stretched. I personally can't see how any of thr 14 could come in for any criticism on that performance.

Match report

http://www.steveroy.com/

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:22 am

I wouldn't drop Dann for tuesday night, I thought he played with a maturity of a player several years older. That lad has bags of potential. He's calm, collected, strong in the challenge, good in the air, and very mature for his age - If I was in charge, it would certainly be a dilemma who I would start with - him or roper. Probably the only aspect that Roper brings to the team that Dann doesn't is pure experience, and his no-nonsense defending.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:26 am

philthesaddler wrote:I wouldn't drop Dann for tuesday night, I thought he played with a maturity of a player several years older. That lad has bags of potential. He's calm, collected, strong in the challenge, good in the air, and very mature for his age - If I was in charge, it would certainly be a dilemma who I would start with - him or roper. Probably the only aspect that Roper brings to the team that Dann doesn't is pure experience, and his no-nonsense defending.

You left out his biggest asset - he is very, very comfortable on the ball - probably the best centre back we have in that respect.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:32 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I wouldn't drop Dann for tuesday night, I thought he played with a maturity of a player several years older. That lad has bags of potential. He's calm, collected, strong in the challenge, good in the air, and very mature for his age - If I was in charge, it would certainly be a dilemma who I would start with - him or roper. Probably the only aspect that Roper brings to the team that Dann doesn't is pure experience, and his no-nonsense defending.

You left out his biggest asset - he is very, very comfortable on the ball - probably the best centre back we have in that respect.

Well, I took that as read when we are talking in comparison of Roper and any other footballer :P

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:37 am

Just looking back to this game, after having time to gather a few thoughts, I have to say this was one hell of a game between two very good sides, and at times - especially before we got the opener - I thought we were not only going to concede our first league goal(s) at home, but there was a possibility that we might even lose the game.

It's a massive lift to have overcome a very good side, a poor referee, a linesman (Text 64446 side) - I hesitate to call him a referee's assistant as I don't see how so many errors can possible "assist" the ref - and not only come out with the points but actually preserve the clean sheet record yet again.

I think it would be unfair to single out anyone as MoM from this game, everyone played such a full part.

I will just give one mention though, not because he was above anyone else, but just because of his improvement. I'm referring to James Constable, whose previously awful first touches seem to have all-but disappeared, and he now seems able to control the ball so much better - no doubt some intensive coaching has gone into this aspect of his game, and I liked what I saw from him yesterday.

In summary, this game most-definitely belonged at a higher level than League Two, and hopefully we'll be locking horns again at Bescot next season one Division higher, on this evidence both clubs deserve it.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:11 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Just looking back to this game, after having time to gather a few thoughts, I have to say this was one hell of a game between two very good sides, and at times - especially before we got the opener - I thought we were not only going to concede our first league goal(s) at home, but there was a possibility that we might even lose the game.

It's a massive lift to have overcome a very good side, a poor referee, a linesman (Text 64446 side) - I hesitate to call him a referee's assistant as I don't see how so many errors can possible "assist" the ref - and not only come out with the points but actually preserve the clean sheet record yet again.

I think it would be unfair to single out anyone as MoM from this game, everyone played such a full part.

I will just give one mention though, not because he was above anyone else, but just because of his improvement. I'm referring to James Constable, whose previously awful first touches seem to have all-but disappeared, and he now seems able to control the ball so much better - no doubt some intensive coaching has gone into this aspect of his game, and I liked what I saw from him yesterday.
Couldn't belive it geoff! The text oap stand was making noise!? Couldn't you get no sleep with us noisy buggers in the Asbo stand? :lol:
In summary, this game most-definitely belonged at a higher level than League Two, and hopefully we'll be locking horns again at Bescot next season one Division higher, on this evidence both clubs deserve it.

Stan P

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:33 pm

Geoff this linesman Mr Dexter has something against Walsall few years back opening day against Rotherham which we won 3-2 Jummy saved a penalty from Mark Robbins this same linesman flagged and said Jimmy moved had to be retaken and hence Mark Robbins but we had the last laugh we won 3-2. The ref yesterday was terrible what do you expect from a clay head?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:02 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Just looking back to this game, after having time to gather a few thoughts, I have to say this was one hell of a game between two very good sides, and at times - especially before we got the opener - I thought we were not only going to concede our first league goal(s) at home, but there was a possibility that we might even lose the game.

Couldn't belive it geoff! The text oap stand was making noise!? Couldn't you get no sleep with us noisy buggers in the Asbo stand? :lol:

Nah, no chance of sleep. I spent most of the game texting reports to Dave Dean who was in Wales. :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Stan P wrote:Geoff this linesman Mr Dexter has something against Walsall few years back opening day against Rotherham which we won 3-2 Jummy saved a penalty from Mark Robbins this same linesman flagged and said Jimmy moved had to be retaken and hence Mark Robbins but we had the last laugh we won 3-2. The ref yesterday was terrible what do you expect from a clay head?

Didn't realise he was a clay-head mate, so thanks for that, I can forgive him a bit now I know that, the poor unfortunate soul ! :?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Stan P wrote:Geoff this linesman Mr Dexter has something against Walsall few years back opening day against Rotherham which we won 3-2 Jummy saved a penalty from Mark Robbins this same linesman flagged and said Jimmy moved had to be retaken and hence Mark Robbins but we had the last laugh we won 3-2. The ref yesterday was terrible what do you expect from a clay head?

I went to that game, he was awful. i don't think we had as much as a free kick in the first half

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:19 pm

Have you calmed down yet pal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season