Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe (H) League - Saturday 14/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:42 pm

A recurring theme in the commentary and match reports this season is us "losing the midfield". Luckily up front and at the back we're solid at home, but that's the area that's costing us possession (and points) away from home. Funnily enough, it's also the area least tinkered with by Dick Dosh.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:42 pm

I think we're fine on the wings although I would like to see Ishy used a bit more but it's not been perfect in the middle with Dobson and Keates.

It's difficult to drop Keates when he's chipped in with so many goals from midfield, added to the fact he takes a lot of the set pieces and Dobson on his day is a great player, I don't think that his day has been often enough but as captain it's also difficult to drop him.

But as long as we're not losing I can't see DD wanting to change any area of the team unless enforced.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:00 pm

Midfield is where we're "losing" to the opposition - but as several have said, we have such good defence and strikers, we're managing to "get away with it".

So how do we remedy it?

For a start, despite people's encouraging noises, the left side does NOT work apart from when we're defending. Fox is NOT a left winger/midfielder, doesn't look particularly comfortable on the ball there and is too often found to be "hiding" when Taylor wants to pass to him. I thought he looked FAR better at left back (and, incidentally, better as a left back than Taylor). DD's thinking is, I believe, that Taylor's surging runs forward give us more attacking options than Fox would at left back....but I'm not convinced it's working. Is there a place for Demontagnac to get a few starts?

Right side - I'm generally a "supporter" of Wright and think he really adds something to the side...BUT, he has had one or two very ineffective games for us of late. I think we CAN carry him in those games...but NOT if the left side is providing very little attacking flare as well.

Centre midfield - I read the comments about Dobson and I think he's set himself too high a standard with his early games for us.There is NO doubt in my mind that, in every game he's played this season he has been the BEST midfielder on display. He can compete physically, he seems a great leader and his passing can sometimes be superb.
Our problem lies with the other midfielder. It seems to me we have 2 options;
i) Keates - here's where I make myself unpopular!! Let me first of all say that he is 110% Walsall and I will NEVER criticise him for effort. BUT THAT'S NOT ENOUGH. Time and time again, he gets beaten in physical challenges and opposition players breeze past him as though he's not there. To me, it sometimes looks like we're playing a young schoolboy in our midfield. His asset is his deadball ability but some of his passing in open play is atrocious. Yes, he has also chipped in with some useful goals but NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
ii) Kinsella - reckons he can't play every match anymore, possibly too defensive anyway

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:12 pm

I can only imagine you haven't seen many games that Dobson has played then Shrops (at least not away anyway). He put in centre midfield performances worse than even some last season at Barnet and Chester in my opinion. Dosbon is a better player than Keates but isn't consistent at all. Succesful sides have consistent players. Keates has scored 5/6 goals from midfield, why should he be dropped?

DD wants to build from the back, hence the cautious approach with Fox. I like Ishmel, I'm a fan and I would like to see him introduced more I wouldn't say it's not working with Fox there, it has already a few times this season.

Wright set up both goals on Saturday. Job done. Dosh doesn't mind being too attacking based with Wright there because he knows he has done stints at full back in the past and gets back to cover and close the opposition down. He has ensured Ishmel has played games at full back in the reserves to get experience and when he's satisfied with his defensive work I think he'll get used more from the start.

Once again, there's criticisms to be raised but performances have been too analysed and criticised in my opinion. No point when we're not losing.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:33 pm

No MMF, I haven't been to that many away games....so I'll bow to your knowledge on that. And regarding Keates's goals, got to agree on that as well. I was a real critic of Wrack (that'll get you going :wink: ) but always said the one thing you couldn't take away was the goals he scored...and I guess the same applies to Keates. I just despair at times, I really feel like I'm watching a schoolboy playing against the "big lads"!

Left side...yes, you're correct, he's keeping us "tight" on that side...and yes it is working 'cause we're not letting goals in. I also like the thinking in having a left back who surges forward past the left midfielder...it confuses the opposition and Taylor has got himself into so many good positions this year already. Interesting what you say about Ishmel - I didn't know that either. A very interesting possibility once he's "learned the position". I think my gripe is with Fox really. I still don't think he's performing to his ability. He doesn't look bothered at times and he definitely "hides" at times...I've never like that in a player.

And don't get me wrong on Wright..I think he's a real asset to our team. I think the £750k rumours were a bit over the top but I'd much rather have him playing for us that against us. The problem is that, by their very nature, wingers don't "work" every week. When Wright as a bad day and can't get by his man or can't put a good cross in, we need the left side to "step up" and I think we struggle with that.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here....already starting to think "well what will it take to be competitive in Div1 next year?" when, as you say, we should be concentrating on the here and now, relishing being top, enjoying the organisation and discipline the team is showing and thanking our lucky stars that we've got our club back and the hopeless, alcoholic wreck is consigned to sky sports punditry!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Stu wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:He had one little jinky run late on but a few occasions he could have really run at their full back and he opted to slow down and stop before playing the ball inside, which led to a loss if attacking impetus. Maybe he is still getting back from his surgery but I am hoping there is much more to come from him.

That's possibly a bit harsh given the context of the situation. We were 2-0 up, and they had just thrown on an extra striker. I wouldn't have thought DD would have sent Bedeau onto the pitch telling him to run at defenders, and put loads of crosses in - he was put on the pitch to preserve our 2-0 lead by keeping the ball and working hard to defend when required. I think he did both of those fairly well.

Spot on I thought, I thought Bedeau was quite clever actually. Ran into space, made himself available and slowed the game down.

Exactly, DD knew what he wanted, and Bedeau did the necessary.

Kinsella too, it was obvious we were losing the midfield and wasting too much possession, inviting pressure and probably an equaliser. So DD brought on MK, immediately the ball stuck with us much better, and the goal was the icing on the cake.

You could look at the text that I sent to Dave Dean from my mobile when MK came on, it said that DD was obviously worried about keeping the ball more, which is why that substitution happened. Dave will no doubt confirm what I've said when he returns from Wales.

So don't expect that a substitution with a winger means we are going to attack more, you have to consider the changes in the context of what is happening, and at that time we were two up and needing to consolidate.

I'd say that Bedeau followed instructions from DD, and did a decent job.

I can comfirm geoffs txt , thats exactly what he said , is also comfirms what a great manager we have in DD. how he can change a game time and time again . Another fantastic result our home record continues bring on the Dons.
Thanks geoff and Dave G. for keeping me updated on saturday. Believe it or not Mrs Dean and I were sitting on black rock beach in glourious sunshine me proudly wear my Walsall shirt, later that evening we found a spar shop that sold Banks's so we were able to celebrate in style :wink:
UTS

You FOUND a Spar shop Dave ???

You couldn't MISS it, the new Spar at Black Rock Sands is ginormous, it's impossible to lose it mate ! :lol: :lol:

By the way, do you think my amazing perception about the Kinsella substitution makes me as tactically "switched-on" as DD ? Take care how you answer, you might want texts from matches in the future. :lol:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:05 pm

Amen to that. :D

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:09 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Stu wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:He had one little jinky run late on but a few occasions he could have really run at their full back and he opted to slow down and stop before playing the ball inside, which led to a loss if attacking impetus. Maybe he is still getting back from his surgery but I am hoping there is much more to come from him.

That's possibly a bit harsh given the context of the situation. We were 2-0 up, and they had just thrown on an extra striker. I wouldn't have thought DD would have sent Bedeau onto the pitch telling him to run at defenders, and put loads of crosses in - he was put on the pitch to preserve our 2-0 lead by keeping the ball and working hard to defend when required. I think he did both of those fairly well.

Spot on I thought, I thought Bedeau was quite clever actually. Ran into space, made himself available and slowed the game down.

Kinsella too, it was obvious we were losing the midfield and wasting too much possession, inviting pressure and probably an equaliser. So DD brought on MK, immediately the ball stuck with us much better, and the goal was the icing on the cake.

You could look at the text that I sent to Dave Dean from my mobile when MK came on, it said that DD was obviously worried about keeping the ball more, which is why that substitution happened. Dave will no doubt confirm what I've said when he returns from Wales.

So don't expect that a substitution with a winger means we are going to attack more, you have to consider the changes in the context of what is happening, and at that time we were two up and needing to consolidate.

I can comfirm geoffs txt , thats exactly what he said , is also comfirms what a great manager we have in DD. how he can change a game time and time again . Another fantastic result our home record continues bring on the Dons.
Thanks geoff and Dave G. for keeping me updated on saturday. Believe it or not Mrs Dean and I were sitting on black rock beach in glourious sunshine me proudly wear my Walsall shirt, later that evening we found a spar shop that sold Banks's so we were able to celebrate in style :wink:
UTS

You couldn't MISS it, the new Spar at Black Rock Sands is ginormous, it's impossible to lose it mate ! :lol: :lol:

By the way, do you think my amazing perception about the Kinsella substitution makes me as tactically "switched-on" as DD ? Take care how you answer, you might want texts from matches in the future. :lol:

You were spot on geoff :wink: . BTW You never told me spar sold banks's :lol:

WS1
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:17 am

Stan P wrote:ive got to be careful what i say coz WS1 is doing the driving this week but i aint that old but WS1 will be picking up his pension way before me :lol:

You had better be careful pal, so what if i get my oap before you at least i can remember the super saddlers in the 60's and 70's. :wink: :o you was still in rompers them days :D

Stan P

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:13 pm

showing your age now m8 anyway i was in a romper suit for one year in the sixties and the 70s i wasnt really a Walsall fan as you know went up occasionally i used to watch a team 4 miles down the road who play in blue & white stripes but got converted in 1980

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Great win! :D

WS1
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:52 pm

Stan P wrote:showing your age now m8 anyway i was in a romper suit for one year in the sixties and the 70s i wasnt really a Walsall fan as you know went up occasionally i used to watch a team 4 miles down the road who play in blue & white stripes but got converted in 1980

Youve bit ay ya pal, hook line and sinker !!!!!!!!!!!

it's so easy to wind you up :wink: :D

Fat Controller

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:36 am

Stan P wrote:showing your age now m8 anyway i was in a romper suit for one year in the sixties and the 70s i wasnt really a Walsall fan as you know went up occasionally i used to watch a team 4 miles down the road who play in blue & white stripes but got converted in 1980

Stan P - WS1 is that old he is probably the only Walsall fan who can remember the last time we played Accrington Stanley.If he is driving tomorrow make sure his zimmer frame is securely fastened before take off.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:06 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Stu wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

UTS

You were spot on geoff :wink: . BTW You never told me spar sold banks's :lol:

You never asked ! :lol:

WS1
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:06 am

Fat Controller wrote:

Stan P - WS1 is that old he is probably the only Walsall fan who can remember the last time we played Accrington Stanley.If he is driving tomorrow make sure his zimmer frame is securely fastened before take off.

That zimmer frame will be round your fu**ing head at Accrington all mangled up :wink: :D

Make sure the time is right on ya ticket Fat Controller we don't want another Millwall do we :wink: :D

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season