Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chester (A) League - Friday 6/10/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:33 pm

AC wrote:We're due a loss - a draw would be taken by me at this stage.

One day in the distant future you may wish to consider putting us down for the win.

Or are you still in therapy over the cactus incident?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:57 pm

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:27 pm

Updated with the latest injury news from Chester - and they have a lot!

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... l-preview/

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:11 pm

A tight one this I reckon, with lots of expectations after Saturdays second half. If we do play the 4-5-1 with the same sort of line up as Sat it will interesting to see how it works away. No more than 1 goal in it, so 2-1 to us, Butler and Pead.

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:30 pm

Cmon boys lets get another away win!

Pelsall_Saddler

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:14 pm

One each I reckon, and I'd settle for that.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:48 am

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:03 am

If we concede a free kick around the edge of our box watch out for Sandwith!

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:42 am

We haven't won at Chester since 1959.

About time we altered that stat.

(There again, Chester have never won in Walsall!)

the_game

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:03 pm

3-1 to walsall

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Pelsall_Saddler wrote:One each I reckon, and I'd settle for that.

Me too. 1-1, Wright to score. Crowd 2608 [550 of us].

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:47 pm

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:43 pm

0-0, that'll do. Not ideal but good enough.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:57 pm

The Fat Controller says we missed Sam, as the ball just wasn't sticking and it wasn't the greatest of performances. The point is the important thing, though.

The report is on the front page.

For the doubters, Bossu did well.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Happy with the draw, considering the conditions and the last minute save. Many teams will go there and lose I reckon.

Hopefully slaughter them at home though :twisted:

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:09 pm

Draw will do, Top of the league still... :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:25 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:The Fat Controller says we missed Sam, as the ball just wasn't sticking and it wasn't the greatest of performances. The point is the important thing, though.

The report is on the front page.

For the doubters, Bossu did well.

Yeah, Bossu did well. Other than a punch when he should have really caught it and a bit of a flap at a back post cross he did very well and was solid. Kept hold of all the shots faced (no ince type semi-spills then!) and made the point saving save with 5 mins to go. Had a reasonable kick on him too considering the wind. A good back up to Ince I'd say and no worries if he has to have a spell in nets.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:26 pm

Absolutely appalling performance , made to look second best by a team who despite their injuries and absenses adapted to the difficult conditions far better than Walsall who's sole tactic seemed to be lumping the ball aimlessly in the general direction of Butler who once again ran, worked and battled tirelessly for 90mins. Roper got my man of the match followed by Bossu who despite a few early dodgy moments produced a competent display. Once again midfield was over run with both Dobson and Keates both having poor games, I lost count during the second half of the number of times that Dobsons passes went straight to the opposition. Taylor had a reasonable game but was substituted in an attempt by Dicky to 'improve' our under performing midfield; it didn't work.
Bedeau I'm afraid looks like the 4th division player he has been for the last 8 years and judging by his performance tonight does not deserve his place in the reserves let alone the first team.
Highlight has to be the point gained and low point standing behind a mottley selection of scutters who's sole aim tonight was to chain smoke in order to avoid breathing in oxygen, eat as many lard based products as they could manage and produce something akin to the entire gas output of a medium sized sewage works.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:43 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:If we concede a free kick around the edge of our box watch out for Sandwith!

We did concede a few free kicks, but I never saw Sandwith. :shock:

Was it a cheese, or ham sandwith I was supposed to watch out for? :?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:53 pm

Cully wrote:Absolutely appalling performance , made to look second best by a team who despite their injuries and absenses adapted to the difficult conditions far better than Walsall who's sole tactic seemed to be lumping the ball aimlessly in the general direction of Butler who once again ran, worked and battled tirelessly for 90mins. Roper got my man of the match followed by Bossu who despite a few early dodgy moments produced a competent display. Once again midfield was over run with both Dobson and Keates both having poor games, I lost count during the second half of the number of times that Dobsons passes went straight to the opposition. Taylor had a reasonable game but was substituted in an attempt by Dicky to 'improve' our under performing midfield; it didn't work.
Bedeau I'm afraid looks like the 4th division player he has been for the last 8 years and judging by his performance tonight does not deserve his place in the reserves let alone the first team.
Highlight has to be the point gained and low point standing behind a mottley selection of scutters who's sole aim tonight was to chain smoke in order to avoid breathing in oxygen, eat as many lard based products as they could manage and produce something akin to the entire gas output of a medium sized sewage works.

Have to agree with you on both these points here. Dobson never played or gave a Captains performance. Got caught on the ball and too many stray passes, certainly not his best performance. Better first half than second.

I was disappointed with Bedeau tonight. Haven't seen a great deal of him this season but he was never in the game. He had ball after ball pumped up to him but never won anything in the air. Never seemed to threaten their defence either. When I saw Pead get ready to come on second half I assumed it was him who'd come off in the same way we changed Sam on Saturday but, no, it was Wright who had come off. Bedeau did nothing really second half either on the right side. Someone on here has said before how he always comes inside, that's what he did tonight. He may still be coming back from his injury / operation so will not judge him too much and hope he has much more to offer.

Greg WP

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:27 am

We clearly dont enjoy playing away. The players seem apprehensive to me. I get the impression they are attempting to do just enough away without ever really expressing themselves. 'Lets get back to Bescot' seems the mindset. Pity we play half of our games away. Not a title winnng team at the mo IMO.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:53 am

Cully wrote:Absolutely appalling performance , made to look second best by a team who despite their injuries and absenses adapted to the difficult conditions far better than Walsall who's sole tactic seemed to be lumping the ball aimlessly in the general direction of Butler who once again ran, worked and battled tirelessly for 90mins. Roper got my man of the match followed by Bossu who despite a few early dodgy moments produced a competent display. Once again midfield was over run with both Dobson and Keates both having poor games, I lost count during the second half of the number of times that Dobsons passes went straight to the opposition. Taylor had a reasonable game but was substituted in an attempt by Dicky to 'improve' our under performing midfield; it didn't work.

Did you introduce yourself to Gaz, MMF, Metfan and Percie then?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:58 am

Greg WP wrote:We clearly dont enjoy playing away. The players seem apprehensive to me. I get the impression they are attempting to do just enough away without ever really expressing themselves. 'Lets get back to Bescot' seems the mindset. Pity we play half of our games away. Not a title winnng team at the mo IMO.

Win at home and draw away IS title winning form, though!

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:34 am

Promotion form possibly, but not championship form, according to rather compelling stats I saw on here recently. For championship, we need to win some away as well.

futuresobright

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:40 am

Cully is spot on. Platitudes about 'getting an away point' show incredibly low expectations against a football club that has more in common with Chasetown FC than the Saddlers. This time last year we were rightly sharing our disappointment at PM's close season signings. I truly believe that, Butler apart, DD has weakened the squad that finished bottom of League 1. It's been along time since Wrack performed well but if he's made any sort of recovery he'll add more to the team than Dobbo's, Fangy's and Bedeau's contributions combined. Giving blind adulation to everything DD does simply because of who he is not is as ridiculous as the praise heaped Sven for not losing against tiny footballing nations in qualifying games.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:50 am

futuresobright wrote:Cully is spot on. Platitudes about 'getting an away point' show incredibly low expectations against a football club that has more in common with Chasetown FC than the Saddlers. This time last year we were rightly sharing our disappointment at PM's close season signings. I truly believe that, Butler apart, DD has weakened the squad that finished bottom of League 1. It's been along time since Wrack performed well but if he's made any sort of recovery he'll add more to the team than Dobbo's, Fangy's and Bedeau's contributions combined. Giving blind adulation to everything DD does simply because of who he is not is as ridiculous as the praise heaped Sven for not losing against tiny footballing nations in qualifying games.

idiot

[post moderated - stop trying to get around it]

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:54 am

futuresobright almost wrote:I am spot on. Platitudes about 'getting an away point' show incredibly low expectations against a football club that has more in common with Chasetown FC than the Saddlers. This time last year we were rightly sharing our disappointment at PM's close season signings. I truly believe that, Constable apart, PM has weakened the squad that was relegated from the Championship. It's been a long time since Wrack performed well but if he's made any sort of recovery he'll add more to the team than Paul Smith, Broad or Barrowman's contributions combined. Giving blind adulation to everything PM does simply because of who he is not is as ridiculous as the praise heaped Sven for not losing against tiny footballing nations in qualifying games.

You are a wind-up. Brilliant stuff.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:54 am

futuresobright wrote:Cully is spot on. Platitudes about 'getting an away point' show incredibly low expectations against a football club that has more in common with Chasetown FC than the Saddlers. This time last year we were rightly sharing our disappointment at PM's close season signings. I truly believe that, Butler apart, DD has weakened the squad that finished bottom of League 1. It's been along time since Wrack performed well but if he's made any sort of recovery he'll add more to the team than Dobbo's, Fangy's and Bedeau's contributions combined. Giving blind adulation to everything DD does simply because of who he is not is as ridiculous as the praise heaped Sven for not losing against tiny footballing nations in qualifying games.

Who let mongoloids onto computers, youre a worse wind up than me!

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:16 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:

So you admit your a wind up then? ;)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:18 am

Percie wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:

So you admit your a wind up then? ;)

I can wind you up percie..... Your mom :P :P

See!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season