Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Mansfield Town (H) League - Saturday 30/9/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:04 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Let's get this straight, NO-ONE should have chanted ANYTHING during that announcement.

Even if it was "One Matt Gadsby etc" it was stilll interrupting an important message written by Matt's young widow, and even half-a-brain should tell us all to stay quiet, and if you didn't want to listen, at least be respectful.

Anyone who thought it was the right time to start chanting his name, well face it, the timing was awful, and you just got it totally wrong!

So Neil is quite right, even if maybe he didn't realise the exact nature of the chants.

Geoff, they weren't singing "there's only one Matty Gadsby" while the announcement was being made, it was the usual chants. The Matt Gadsby chanting started when they finally realised what had been going on. Several people leaned over the rail and were yelling at them to stop, to no avail. I just hope it didn't upset any of his family, should they have been there.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:24 am

To be fair - although they may not have had their wits about them - they did start chanting before the announcememnt started - and the tannoy was a lot quieter on Saturday - I am confident in saying that they wouldn't have been doing it on purpose had they known the content of the message. Also - it was the players names they were chanting - and the players were responding with applause - thus encouraging them to continue - I suspect they couldn't hear too.

It reminded me of the "minutes silence" at Stoke after Lou Macaris son died - loads of Saddlers fans still in the concourse didn't know it was happning - thus the Stokies thought they were being disrespectful.

I'm sure Sat/ was just a misunderstanding.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 am

aldridge steve wrote:To be fair - although they may not have had their wits about them - they did start chanting before the announcememnt started - and the tannoy was a lot quieter on Saturday - I am confident in saying that they wouldn't have been doing it on purpose had they known the content of the message. Also - it was the players names they were chanting - and the players were responding with applause - thus encouraging them to continue - I suspect they couldn't hear too.

It reminded me of the "minutes silence" at Stoke after Lou Macaris son died - loads of Saddlers fans still in the concourse didn't know it was happning - thus the Stokies thought they were being disrespectful.

Steve, you can swap with Ravenscroft, you have about a million times more sense, and you like pizza.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 am

No doubt it wasn’t deliberate, Steve, they were just unaware of what was going on. Shame, really, considering the circumstances.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:33 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:To be fair - although they may not have had their wits about them - they did start chanting before the announcememnt started - and the tannoy was a lot quieter on Saturday - I am confident in saying that they wouldn't have been doing it on purpose had they known the content of the message. Also - it was the players names they were chanting - and the players were responding with applause - thus encouraging them to continue - I suspect they couldn't hear too.

Steve, you can swap with Ravenscroft, you have about a million times more sense, and you like pizza.

No thanks - Neil does a fine job - and I'm sure he likes Pizza too.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:38 pm

Remember the tannoys are a lot quieter in the lower tier than upstairs. This time I'm happy to accept it was just a case of them not hearing what was being said.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:48 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:No doubt it wasn’t deliberate, Steve, they were just unaware of what was going on. Shame, really, considering the circumstances.

The timing wasn't superb either, when the players come out, theres always chanting. Would have been best for a moments silence, or something first, to settle people down.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:54 pm

would have been a much better thing to do Phil

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:19 pm

futuresobright wrote:It's childish but let's face it there is a joy in looking at a league table and seeing Walsall three points clear at the top.
Reflecting on yesterday's win it's a bit depressing to note how much better we did we when DD took off a bloke he brought to the club and put on one of the old brigade. When Wrack and Nicholls are back in the team it will be interesting to see how many other of the new recruits still get in the starting eleven. (Anyone prefer Ince to Oakes?)
This season really should be like the hare and the tortoise without the twist. We're playing so much worse than we were last season until Kevan took over (thanks UTS) and still cruising to promotion.
Good to see Keats and Wright, who get so much abuse on this site, putting in such strong performances.
Oh by the way...when posters complain about half time booing they are being ironic aren't they after the insanity that broke out last season and sent us down?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

twerp

(Why was tvvat replace with idiot - this automatic word filter is rubbish! ;))

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:09 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
futuresobright wrote:It's childish but let's face it there is a joy in looking at a league table and seeing Walsall three points clear at the top.
Reflecting on yesterday's win it's a bit depressing to note how much better we did we when DD took off a bloke he brought to the club and put on one of the old brigade. When Wrack and Nicholls are back in the team it will be interesting to see how many other of the new recruits still get in the starting eleven. (Anyone prefer Ince to Oakes?)
This season really should be like the hare and the tortoise without the twist. We're playing so much worse than we were last season until Kevan took over (thanks UTS) and still cruising to promotion.
Good to see Keats and Wright, who get so much abuse on this site, putting in such strong performances.
Oh by the way...when posters complain about half time booing they are being ironic aren't they after the insanity that broke out last season and sent us down?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

idiot

(Why was tvvat replace with idiot - this automatic word filter is rubbish! ;))

I sympathise and agree up to a point MMF. We should surely be allowed to use such words when describing posters like futuresobright, after all are there ANY other words to describe someone as stupid as that twerp ? :?

Oh bugger!

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:53 am

A huge home win against a team that came for a point, we stay top and there's still just 161 posts on the match thread? Doesn't anyone have anything to moan about other than the swear filter? Bunch of cack fudge Scunthorpe*.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season