Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Mansfield Town (H) League - Saturday 30/9/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:50 am

aldridge steve wrote:
Andy W Taylor wrote:First 45 was flat and our passing and movement not up to scratch, but we weren't really troubled at the back and went into game top of the league - so why were some people (mainly upper F2G) booing as the players went off the field at half-time?
Or have I got it wrong and it was their contribution that brought about the change in the 2nd half?

Yeah - who-ever it was booing should be ashamed. At half time - no matter how poor we were - we were still unbeaten at home, no goal against and people should know by now that a game of footie is 90 mins. I was amazed and just glad that enough of us clapped them off to drown out some of the booing.

Im in the lower and I still heard it, bloody idiots.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:12 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
Andy W Taylor wrote:First 45 was flat and our passing and movement not up to scratch, but we weren't really troubled at the back and went into game top of the league - so why were some people (mainly upper F2G) booing as the players went off the field at half-time?
Or have I got it wrong and it was their contribution that brought about the change in the 2nd half?

Yeah - who-ever it was booing should be ashamed. At half time - no matter how poor we were - we were still unbeaten at home, no goal against and people should know by now that a game of footie is 90 mins. I was amazed and just glad that enough of us clapped them off to drown out some of the booing.

I was gobsmacked when I heard the booing. Just don't applaud if you don't approve of the performance. We're top of the league for f*** sake but that doesn't mean we've got a right to play everybody off the park.

Anybody who bood is officially a nobhead.

In fact the nob heads booing were probably the ones having a go at us for giving M*rs*n stick so that makes them double nob heads.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:18 am

Double nob heads :D Interesting

I heard it, it wasn't just a few either.

As bad as the first half was, i always expected us to beat them in the second half.

red creatures

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:38 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:

The booing was completely uncalled for and ridiculous. Do these people not realise that Mansfield came with a game plan of swamp the midfield, get 10 men back and stop Walsall playing ?
It worked in the first half until Dickie pulled his rabbit out the hat !
Teams will do that against us after seeing we can hit 4 or 5 against the weaker teams - so we'd better get used to it !
We ARE the best team in that division !
Booing just shows a lack of support and football knowledge !

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:43 am

I honestly think some fans are not interested in Walsall doing well.
they dont want success , all they go to Bescot for is to boo and moan.
One chap sat behind me had a right go at Wright through the whole of the first half .
My point is that same chap hardly opened his mouth in the second half.not well played , good ball nothing . and he left early missing Gerrards goal.
Unbelieveable.

red creatures

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:56 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:I honestly think some fans are not interested in Walsall doing well.
One chap sat behind me had a right go at Wright through the whole of the first half .
My point is that same chap hardly opened his mouth in the second half.not well played , good ball nothing . and he left early missing Gerrards goal.
Unbelieveable.

Exactly thus the reason for my 'rubbish' thread - though it's point was lost on some !! possibly those that are guilty !

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:15 pm

Can you imagine what they'll be like when or if we concede a goal or drop points at home there will be riots.

We win 4-0 , all some people come on here for is to moan hey Exile :mrgreen:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:19 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:I honestly think some fans are not interested in Walsall doing well.
Unbelieveable.

I too couldn't believe the amount of people leaving early... they were leaving in droves, and we were 3-0 up!!! At least stay to clap them off... I really dont understand that with some fans. People who know me will know that I never ever leave early, even if we're rubbish, I'll wait til the final whislte, but for fans to be rushing off with 5mins to go at 3nil up really gets my goat.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:17 pm

Fantastic win. Effective change at half time, Gerrard breaks his duck, and we romp home with yet another clean sheet. I'd have taken that at half time, when I was struggling to see where the chances, let alone the goals, would come from!

Interesting to see our friend 'Futuresobright' hasn't surfaced to contribute his musings on the game. It didn't take him 24 hours after Grimsby or the Shrews.

Curious. :roll:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:32 pm

WarsawPact wrote:I think you have to give credit to Mansfield for our first half no-show.
Their 4-5-1 completely snuffed out our midfield, and I don't think we created a single chance.

Agreed, as I said a little earlier in the thread.

This is not a one-team game, and we have no divine right to be allowed to play OUR game. Mansfield stopped us doing that in the 1st half yesterday, so fair play to them and their manager for that.

Credit to DD for solving that problem, which turned the game in our favour 2nd half. That's a sign of quality in abundance in the managerial department, which we sadly lacked for the last 2 years.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:59 pm

I heard the boo's and that really peed me off! Why boo when your top of the league..Yeah it was 0-0 and not the best of performances..but bloody hell no need for boo's. The people who done it need some sense knocked into um!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:00 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:I heard the boo's and that really peed me off! Why boo when your top of the league..Yeah it was 0-0 and not the best of performances..but bloody hell no need for boo's. The people who done it need some sense knocked into um!

The top tier of the F2G stand always seem to do it. I never heard anyone in the lower F2G do it? Bloody disgrace whoever did it, DD managed to have a go abck today though.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:22 pm

I couldn't believe the booing either. Okay, the first half hadn't been great but that was down to Mansfield swamping the midfield area and stifling the game. Like a lot of people I was puzzled by the half time substitution but DD certainly got it right, makes a lovely change to have a gaffer with tactical nous.

One thing that I felt showed a lack of respect yesterday was the chanting going on before the match while the announcer was reading out the letter from Matt Gadsby's widow.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:28 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:One thing that I felt showed a lack of respect yesterday was the chanting going on before the match while the announcer was reading out the letter from Matt Gadsby's widow.

Yeah, and that was all coming from the lower tier. Were they thick or deaf?

futuresobright

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:45 pm

It's childish but let's face it there is a joy in looking at a league table and seeing Walsall three points clear at the top.
Reflecting on yesterday's win it's a bit depressing to note how much better we did we when DD took off a bloke he brought to the club and put on one of the old brigade. When Wrack and Nicholls are back in the team it will be interesting to see how many other of the new recruits still get in the starting eleven. (Anyone prefer Ince to Oakes?)
This season really should be like the hare and the tortoise without the twist. We're playing so much worse than we were last season until Kevan took over (thanks UTS) and still cruising to promotion.
Good to see Keats and Wright, who get so much abuse on this site, putting in such strong performances.
Oh by the way...when posters complain about half time booing they are being ironic aren't they after the insanity that broke out last season and sent us down?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:02 pm

futuresobright wrote:It's childish but let's face it there is a joy in looking at a league table and seeing Walsall three points clear at the top.
Reflecting on yesterday's win it's a bit depressing to note how much better we did we when DD took off a bloke he brought to the club and put on one of the old brigade. When Wrack and Nicholls are back in the team it will be interesting to see how many other of the new recruits still get in the starting eleven. (Anyone prefer Ince to Oakes?)
This season really should be like the hare and the tortoise without the twist. We're playing so much worse than we were last season until Kevan took over (thanks UTS) and still cruising to promotion.
Good to see Keats and Wright, who get so much abuse on this site, putting in such strong performances.
Oh by the way...when posters complain about half time booing they are being ironic aren't they after the insanity that broke out last season and sent us down?

Whatever, futuresobright. As long as it makes you feel better. :roll:

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:05 pm

theres only one answer to that futuresobright, ;b;;ll;;cks! what a load of gobshite you really talk, its no wonder people on here dont like you. :evil:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:28 pm

Don't bite - he is a wind-up merchant. :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:52 pm

Future so Bright

So you return....

What you say, some of it may have some truth, Yes it is true, some of Merson's signings indeed have flurished. None more than Westwood in my opinion

Something you need to understand about being a manager, it isn't all about the players you sign, of course it is important, no doubt about it, but equally as important is getting the most out of those players.

I am seriously doubting you ventured away from Bescot last season, and you seem to be blanking out the home form post Fryatt and Jorge Leaving.

take a look at Dick Doshes work in the summer, He signed a Keeper, although not perfect, is the closest we have come to having a good keeper since sir james left. That is something Merson failed to do despite signing about 38 different keepers

He signed a midfield General (Dobson) Someone comanding in midfield

He signed a quality Striker (Butler) In the words of your great man "Different Clarse"

Then he got the under achieving bunch that Merson left behind, got them fit, gave them a formation, a game plan, made them hard to beat, you getting this yet ?

What DD did that Merson failed to do, is looked at the squad, and signed players where we needed strengthening, not signed players willy nilly, cos they where one of his old pals

I am really wasting my time talking to you, cos you are a non believer, and always will be, but i am pretty sure there is some sense in what i have just written

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:54 pm

futuresobright wrote:It's childish but let's face it there is a joy in looking at a league table and seeing Walsall three points clear at the top.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Other than the usual stupidity shown by poo poo, TC etc., that MUST be the funniest most stupid mis-representation of the facts that I have EVER read on this site.

"playing so much worse than we were last season until Kevan took over" - oh my God, my sides are absolutely bursting. Have you thought of going on the stage ?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:57 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

Other than the usual stupidity shown by poo poo, TC etc., that MUST be the funniest most stupid mis-representation of the facts that I have EVER read on this site.

"playing so much worse than we were last season until Kevan took over" - oh my God, my sides are absolutely bursting. Have you thought of going on the stage ?

This person doesn't exist - he/she/it is a wind up. Either that or it's Zippy in disguise. :lol:

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:45 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:One thing that I felt showed a lack of respect yesterday was the chanting going on before the match while the announcer was reading out the letter from Matt Gadsby's widow.

Probably both.

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Another home win and no goals conceded! :D I new when we scored one we would get quite a few! Keep it going boys!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Probably both.

I thought it was bad-mannered, but weren't they chanting "Only one Matt Gadsby" or something of the sort?

If so they probably thought (mistakenly) that they were doing the right thing - poor misguided souls! Should have let the announcer finish, then do those chants, that would have shown better judgement.

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Match report

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

You never cease to amaze me Ravenscock. Once again you abuse your so called 'match reporting' privileges with slander like that. Hows that part of the match report. Idiot.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:48 pm

Percie wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Match report

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

You never cease to amaze me Ravenscock. Once again you abuse your so called 'match reporting' privileges with slander like that. Hows that part of the match report. Idiot.

er, where is the slander? Read ok to me even though i was not there

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:43 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Probably both.

I thought it was bad-mannered, but weren't they chanting "Only one Matt Gadsby" or something of the sort?

If so they probably thought (mistakenly) that they were doing the right thing - poor misguided souls! Should have let the announcer finish, then do those chants, that would have shown better judgement.

They eventually sang "One Matt Gadsby" but before that there was a range of other songs and chanting - that was what I objected to.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 pm

Let's get this straight, NO-ONE should have chanted ANYTHING during that announcement.

Even if it was "One Matt Gadsby etc" it was stilll interrupting an important message written by Matt's young widow, and even half-a-brain should tell us all to stay quiet, and if you didn't want to listen, at least be respectful.

Anyone who thought it was the right time to start chanting his name, well face it, the timing was awful, and you just got it totally wrong!

So Neil is quite right, even if maybe he didn't realise the exact nature of the chants.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:39 pm

Well said Geoff .

I was nearer to the Mansfield fans 1st half , most of them kept quiet apart from some of those idiots from there hooligan firm

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:35 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

Have you thought of going on the stage ?

Try the next one to leave town :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season