Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury (A) League - Tuesday 26/09/06.

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Timothy_Claypole

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:00 pm

Pedro wrote:Top the league and people still moan . What they want champions league football or something :twisted:

language PLEASE Pedro!!!!!!! :oops:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:02 pm

Sorry Timbo - You enjoy yourself at the YGA and you see any TENNIS :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:13 pm

Pedro wrote:Top the league and people still f{naughtyword}g moan . What they want champions league football or something :twisted:

eh, eh, calm down, calm down.

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:14 pm

futuresobright wrote:We were awful last night...and apparently much worse at Bristol. Bernie's post asks all the right questions. Geordie's response is presumably a wind up.
Butler apart, Money's additions to the squad have proved be woeful. He has succeeded in building the most lack lustre group of players I have seen in over 40 years. Exactly why a player who struggled to impress at Torquay is going to improve us is beyond me. If we go up it will be thanks to the players acquired by previous managers and dependent upon the 'manager' thinking about selections, positions and tactics. Unbelievable what's happened since PM went.

i just really dont get some people. are you really taking the p*ss now! i think you must just be one of those armchair supporters who only goto local games or home games. you no you should try going to away games like a few of us on here do and see the team play for yourself rather than hearing from other people and other sources.
myself, as will many other saddler fans will be proud to support the saddlers exspecially at this momnet in time. since your mate merscum left us its has been the best that could happen to walsall, we have got our walsall back, winning games and even scoring goals. we have the best goal difference in europe and are drawing or winning games away not just at home!
the best thing that could happen to the club happened the day that merscum got the sack, good riddence to bad rubbish!

my view from the game is that all the players put in the effort when it was needed and yeah pead hasnt been playing the best he probably could but to be fair does it matter, if we getting points, winning games and scoring goals then who cares. apart from his 3 corners last night i cant see anything he did wrong. i can still feel that bar shaking now from that last minute effort on goal. Dicky Dosh is a good manager in my eyes, he knows what he is doing, yeah maybe last night he did make a wrong decison in putting pead on for keatesy, where i think he should of put isshy on as he had already taken off wrighty and we hadnt got no pace down any of the flanks!
all i got to say is UP THE SUPER SADDLERS!

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE SAY WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:16 pm

Its make me angry tho Steve . Look at what we have watched for the last 2 seasons . As we speak we are top of the league . What is there to moan about . We cannot get any higher can we ?

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:20 pm

Future is Bright how did Tony Bedeau struggle at Torquay - He scored 16 goals and help keep them up you big fool .

What about Ince how many goals has he let in this season ..... what about clean sheets. Dobson have teams in Div4 would want him in there side . Hector Sam do you see the work rate the bloke gets threw ?

I should stop smoking what ever you smoke because its sending you mad

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:32 pm

Pedro wrote:Its make me angry tho Steve . Look at what we have watched for the last 2 seasons . As we speak we are top of the league . What is there to moan about . We cannot get any higher can we ?

Totally agree mate - just thinking of your blood pressure - plus - I assume FSB is a wind up merchant!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:35 pm

My BP is fine . i get it checked most weeks :wink:

PT
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Really enjoyd last night, much like Shrewsbury the town, it was an 80's retro night with a nearly all terrace ground, being crammed onto one of the terraces behind a fence, lots of singing and at atmosphere that had a certain "edge" that was 90% pantomime and 10% alcohol.

The match was as good as you'll see at this level. I can't believe people are having a knock at the performance. first 20 we were great, they then got amongst us but I think it's unfair to dismiss them as soley route 1 Yes, any dead ball or throw-in from our half was launched at our penalty spot, but with two tricky wingers they offered up much more than that and the move just before H-T that should have lead to a goal was quality. Shrewsbury will be up there come May, but the fantastic thing is, so will we.

Westwood was MOTM again and Dann looks assured. Luckily Keates is small so Dobson carrying him for the last few weeks won't have taken too much toll, but in Deano's defence we really missed his deadball ability after he went off (Peads corners were of the under 10's variety).

A great night - the likes of which are all but extinct. We are Top of The League

Stourbridge_Andy

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:31 pm

I agree - from what I remember from previous fourth division campaigns is there are normally 4 or 5 half decent sides and the rest are dross. Shrews are one of the half decent ones and played some good football at times, as did we, not a bad achievement in a game that was more like a blood and guts cup tie than a normal league game.

Futuresobright - if this is the most lacklustre team you have seen in 40 years you must have been drunk or stoned for significant parts of it - are you really saying that this team is worse than the ones assembled by Frank Sibley in the late 70s or Barnwell in the early 90s? No - you're just a wind up merchant aren't you!

toffo
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:40 pm

PT wrote:Really enjoyd last night, much like Shrewsbury the town, it was an 80's retro night with a nearly all terrace ground, being crammed onto one of the terraces behind a fence, lots of singing and at atmosphere that had a certain "edge" that was 90% pantomime and 10% alcohol.

The match was as good as you'll see at this level. I can't believe people are having a knock at the performance. first 20 we were great, they then got amongst us but I think it's unfair to dismiss them as soley route 1 Yes, any dead ball or throw-in from our half was launched at our penalty spot, but with two tricky wingers they offered up much more than that and the move just before H-T that should have lead to a goal was quality. Shrewsbury will be up there come May, but the fantastic thing is, so will we.

Westwood was MOTM again and Dann looks assured. Luckily Keates is small so Dobson carrying him for the last few weeks won't have taken too much toll, but in Deano's defence we really missed his deadball ability after he went off (Peads corners were of the under 10's variety).

A great night - the likes of which are all but extinct. We are Top of The League

Good post PT but i did think that we got muscled ot of it a bit, we looked a bit lightweight and small compared to them, and the ref let a lot of 50-50 challenges go.
Dann is going to be a great player if he continues to progress, We need a good left back as well, taylor just does not cut it imo.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:50 pm

I agree with the posts questioning the more negative comments. As people have said, we're top of the league and you can't really improve much on that.

However, I don't agree that just because we're top of the pile it should mean we just ignore other issues. Apart from a few odd spells we haven't really put in a spot on top class performance. Perhaps it's a good sign that we're playing poorly but still winning, or is it worrying in that perhaps soon we'll start getting what our performances deserve ? I'm not sure which one it is (they're the opposite ends of a large scale). We can't ignore our short comings, if anything is going to be our downfall this season it will be complacency.

Yes, let's enjoy ourselves being top of the pile but let's not shout down too loudly people that quite rightly point out our obvious weak spots.

BTW none of those comments are meant to back up futuresobright, he's just a knob of the highest order.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:50 pm

Someone did make a point in an earlier post was it Moneys orders for Ince to punt it long 2nd half.
This isn't a moan but every clearance from Ince 2nd half came from his boot totally bypassed our midfeild, and putting the presure striaght back on us. This tactic if it was one just didn't make sense.
While i'm on the subject of Ince's kicking wish he'd practice more. If he got a much distance on his kicks as he does height he'd score every game.

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:13 am

My neck still hurts, has the ball landed yet?

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:35 am

Bernie wrote:Another poor performance. We may be top of the league but if we continue play like we did tonight and on Saturday we will not even be in the top half of the table at the end of the season.

£50 to a charity of your choice would say 35 more performances like that and we'll be in the automatic promotion slot.

We just went away from home for a local derby, against a team we've not played in the league for donkey's years, who were in front of their biggest crowd of the season and fired up for a huge match. We took everything they had to throw at us, countless long balls and set pieces, and they failed to win.

I can't see what else could have been asked for.

We've just had two away games in 3 days and got 4 points, and folk are complaining.

Quite a few folk still seem to think they should be watching Championship quality football, this is League 2 now...

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:42 am

Don't forget my tenner Stu , when we are promoted this season :lol:
Same goes for MMF and Dave Roe :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:13 am

Stu wrote:
Bernie wrote:Another poor performance. We may be top of the league but if we continue play like we did tonight and on Saturday we will not even be in the top half of the table at the end of the season.

£50 to a charity of your choice would say 35 more performances like that and we'll be in the automatic promotion slot.

Nah, Stu. 35 more like that and we'll be Champions.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:19 am

Stu wrote:Quite a few folk still seem to think they should be watching Championship quality football, this is League 2 now...

I don't think that the requirement of someone in centre midfield that can be a little more creative than our crabs is 'thinking we should be watching championship football'

It's a tweak that I and others would make to make us a better team and would give us an even stronger chance of promotion

They did throw a lot of balls into our box and they should have scored a couple of times, we got away with it, we sat back for too much and that's the reason they were able to bombard our box, it was a gamble that I didn't think we needed to make, we have the players to take the game to them, nothing Mersonesque about it, it's just our players are good enough to do it.

I think there has been some pretty decent constructive critisism, no one has said anything gun ho about what we should be doing, just that with the team we have, away from home, we could be a little more positive.

I'm very happy we are top of the league, the home form is incredible but I am still yet to be convinced about our travels IMO, that's all, hardly critical stuff.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:42 am

Isn't it nice to be in a postion where we can complain about our performances from a very lofty perch...(i.e top of the league)...its not half as stressful as complaining about a total moron who hasn't got a clue how to run a football team...and watching powerlessly as your pride and joy is made to be a laughing stock...so keep complaining guys...thats what football is all about for us fans...but just be greatfull for the fact that we are competing again.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:48 am

here here, well said that man

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:49 am

http://www.mitoches.com/image/walsall.html

Click that link for photos from the shrewsbury game... scroll down a bit to find Shrewsbury away

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:11 am

philthesaddler wrote:http://www.mitoches.com/image/walsall.html

Click that link for photos from the shrewsbury game... scroll down a bit to find Shrewsbury away

Great Pics!!

Cheers!

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:15 am

saddlerken wrote:I don't think that the requirement of someone in centre midfield that can be a little more creative than our crabs is 'thinking we should be watching championship football'

I know what your saying Ken, but when the ball is constantly being launched 50 yards over the head of the central midfielders, then there is very little that can be done, whether you've got Dobson or Keates or Makelele and Lampard in there.

I give Salop credit for stopping us playing football. The opening 20 minutes they let us, and in all fairness, they weren't good enough to wipe our backsides at a football match. That 20 pass move we did was scintilating.

To their credit, Peters and their players realised that if they pressured and pushed us back, we couldn't play the pretty football and they'd force us into a different game. That's where wingers would have helped, as they'd have stretched it a bit more, but Fox isn't a winger and Wright lost interest after 25 minutes. So everything was stuck down the middle of the park.

And for what its worth, I've been saying before the season kicked off that we needed a more creative and attacking option in the middle of the park.

But that would have made no difference on Tuesday, as he'd have been muscled and closed out of the game.

Or so say I anyway.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:41 am

I agree Stu to a certain extent, they certainly adapted their game to put us under pressure by going long, although 1st half the little bloke was coming deep and and running with the ball and having plenty of success, not sure why he was so quiet 2nd half!!!!!

What I would say is, especially during the early part of the 2nd half on a few occasions I noticed when we were creeping forward both Keates and Dobson were only a few metres in front of the back four, both not venturing and leaving any gap at all. This isolated our forwards far too often, we bacame heavily reliant on Butler working his ar5e off down the flanks, not in the middle where he should be.

Anyway, I'm ecstatic with the start to this season, its an amzaing transformation from that utter dog 5h|te last season, watching Walsall is fun again.

UTS

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:11 pm

saddlerken wrote:I agree Stu to a certain extent, they certainly adapted their game to put us under pressure by going long, although 1st half the little bloke was coming deep and and running with the ball and having plenty of success, not sure why he was so quiet 2nd half!!!!!

What I would say is, especially during the early part of the 2nd half on a few occasions I noticed when we were creeping forward both Keates and Dobson were only a few metres in front of the back four, both not venturing and leaving any gap at all. This isolated our forwards far too often, we bacame heavily reliant on Butler working his ar5e off down the flanks, not in the middle where he should be.

Anyway, I'm ecstatic with the start to this season, its an amzaing transformation from that utter dog 5h|te last season, watching Walsall is fun again.

UTS

Your posts are spot on mate. It's not being negative to point out one or two minor issues that could do with sorting. The most successful organisations are the ones that strive for improvement constantly and don't rest on their laurels because they think everything is fine.

It's already been said but whatever happens this season it will still be 1000% better than last season under that prat.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:20 pm

Given the arial bombardment we endured, a big well done to our inexperienced centre-back pairing, Dann and Gerrard - aged only 19 and 20.

Eli_B

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:31 pm

All things said, i was relieved but pleased that the team got a useful away point against the Salopians. A gritty backs to the wall performance againt the Shrews, a total contrast in terms of the away performamces last season. Mostly agree on the need (or requirement) for a creative central midfielder who can supply the strikers. Plus help out the defence, when required.

So far the season has been encouraging with the start that DD and the squad has made. Overall the Saddlers are still top, i'm happy with that, but they'll be more testing fixtures away from home during the season.

Eli_B

My thoughts on the match...

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:39 pm

All things said, i was relieved but pleased that the team got a useful away point against the Salopians. A gritty backs to the wall performance againt the Shrews, a total contrast in terms of the away performamces last season. Mostly agree on the need (or requirement) for a creative central midfielder who can supply the strikers. Plus help out the defence, when required.

So far the season has been encouraging with the start that DD and the squad has made. Overall the Saddlers are still top, i'm happy with that, but they'll be more testing fixtures away from home during the season.

Eli_B

My thoughts on the match...

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:43 pm

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Can you say that again Eli? :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season