Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury (A) League - Tuesday 26/09/06.

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:26 pm

Reasonable first half - the way we started off, I thought we would win fairly comfortably. Second half was truly dire and to be honest, the Sloppies should have won, on possession and chances. Luckily for us, their finishing was utterly crap and we got away with a point.

There are still glaring deficiencies in midfield and up front and I trust DD to be working on these although I admit that, sometimes, his team selections baffle me! :shock:

Timothy_Claypole

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:27 pm

anyone fancy some rumpy pumpy?

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:34 pm

Shrewsbury Saddler had some fun in a flat by the pub . He had a £5 bet he could hang out the top floor window .... which he did :D

saddlers supa mop

Location: Living upto mods expectations and keeping this site friendly for all age users :D

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:02 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Sounded a cracker & to get a point under such pressure must be an excellent sign.
What a shame about Pead's effort against the bar.
Congrats to Malcolm Borden for talking up Walsall so much & encouraging people to get down to the Bescot.

sooo true. draws a fair result if we had nicked it with peads shot we would have been lucky but would i be complainin. we just seemed to defensive right untill the end of the game.

saddlers supa mop

Location: Living upto mods expectations and keeping this site friendly for all age users :D

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:04 pm

and bedeau was awful!! why he started im not too sure but we looked alot beta once sam came back into the fold and partnered butler.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:24 pm

Using just one eye, a screamer from Pead (?) off the bar in the dying seconds cost us two points. With both eyes open we were lucky to escape with one point against a very useful Shrewsbury (with the highest wage bill in the division :wink: ).

Plus points - based on match commentary, not my own eyes - Gerrard played a blinder, Ince made some useful saves, and the side as a whole didn't concede despite some incredible sustained pressure from the Sloppies. We also looked to counter-attack constantly, even if we were hoofing up to one man in midfield, there was always that option rather than 11 men in the goal area.

Bedeau scored, which will help his confidence, although Sam sounded much better when he came on to partner Butler - holding onto posession was a problem in both halves.

On the downside, I really don't think the Keates / Dobson centre-midfield is working, and that's where I'dd look to make changes in the starting line-up. It will cost us against better finishers, but I wonder now if there are any in this division.

Shrews away sounded like they were the best team we'd faced, with the possible exception of Lincoln. The game swung in terms of who was on top, and it was played at a high tempo. Nice that we soaked up pressure, good to concede only one goal and great to see the side weren't afraid to attack (when they finally got the ball), and to me, it feels like we have nothing to fear.

A good point well earned.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:25 pm

we started well and ripped them apart for the 15 minutes. i really dont know what happened after that other than we tried to copy their hoof tactics. unfortunately due to our strikers being medium height the tactics did not suit us compared to their little n very large combination.

i thought we lacked ropers pace at the back to cope with asamoah and feel he would have won more clean headers but well done to the lads for keeping it down to one goal.

bedeau looked lost as a forward and only slightly better as a right winger (although that may be beacause he replaced wright who decided he had played well in the first 10 minutes so didnt have to play anymore, he is so fustrating!! :evil: )
i thought sam looked a much better option up front.

i still think we need kinsella in the middle as a calming influence to put his foot on the ball and play the simple pass. with keates and dobson in centre midfield we try too many long hopeful balls as neither have the confidence to have a look up and take their time as kinsella does (as he showed in the first few games). this means we lose the ball and let the other team hoof the ball back into our area and put us under pressure.

overall though a point away is always a decent result, and especially away at shrewsbury who will be effective if not entertaining this season.
Last edited by LancsSaddler on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:26 pm

Another poor performance. We may be top of the league but if we continue play like we did tonight and on Saturday we will not even be in the top half of the table at the end of the season.

Questions for Richard Money:
Do you insist that Ince kicks the ball long rather than throws it out? Did you notice that we lost possession just about every time because Ince has no idea where the ball is going to land, and we do not have the players to win the ball anyway?
Why did you bring on Craig Pead? Have you not realised that he is not good enough for this level?
Have you ever seen a set of three consecutive corners worse than those Pead took in the last ten minutes?
Have you noticed that Westwood is not a full back because he has no idea at all how to link with a winger?
Is Kinsella on the bench just as a coach, or do you think he can do a job in central midfield? Did you notice that both Dobson and Keates were very poor tonight?
Are you a bit worried that, with the exception of Martin Butler (and perhaps Ince) , the signings you made do not seem to have come off?

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:30 pm

Exile wrote:Using just one eye, a screamer from Pead (?) off the bar in the dying seconds cost us two points. With both eyes open we were lucky to escape with one point against a very useful Shrewsbury (with the highest wage bill in the division :wink: ).

Plus points - based on match commentary, not my own eyes - Gerrard played a blinder, Ince made some useful saves, and the side as a whole didn't concede despite some incredible sustained pressure from the Sloppies. We also looked to counter-attack constantly, even if we were hoofing up to one man in midfield, there was always that option rather than 11 men in the goal area.

Bedeau scored, which will help his confidence, although Sam sounded much better when he came on to partner Butler - holding onto posession was a problem in both halves.

On the downside, I really don't think the Keates / Dobson centre-midfield is working, and that's where I'dd look to make changes in the starting line-up. It will cost us against better finishers, but I wonder now if there are any in this division.

Shrews away sounded like they were the best team we'd faced, with the possible exception of Lincoln. The game swung in terms of who was on top, and it was played at a high tempo. Nice that we soaked up pressure, good to concede only one goal and great to see the side weren't afraid to attack (when they finally got the ball), and to me, it feels like we have nothing to fear.

A good point well earned.

agree with most but i wouldnt say gerrard played a blinder. he still loses too many headers that should be bread and butter for a centre half.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:36 pm

Pedro wrote:Shrewsbury Saddler had some fun in a flat by the pub . He had a £5 bet he could hang out the top floor window .... which he did :D

That wasn't Shrewsbury Saddler though Pedro. :? It was asps.

Top entertainment though. :lol:

dannyv

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:36 pm

Bernie wrote:Another poor performance. We may be top of the league but if we continue play like we did tonight and on Saturday we will not even be in the top half of the table at the end of the season.

Do you insist that Ince kicks the ball long rather than throws it out? Did you notice that we lost possession just about every time because Ince has no idea where the ball is going to land, and we do not have the players to win the ball anyway?
Why did you bring on Craig Pead? Have you not realised that he is not good enough for this level?
Have you ever seen a set of three consecutive corners worse than those Pead took in the last ten minutes?
Have you noticed that Westwood is not a full back because he has no idea at all how to link with a winger?
Is Kinsella on the bench just as a coach, or do you think he can do a job in central midfield? Did you notice that both Dobson and Keates were very poor tonight?
Are you a bit worried that, with the exception of Martin Butler (and perhaps Ince) , the signings you made do not seem to have come off?

Dobson signing not come off???????

dannyv

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:42 pm

Ince - Brilliant appart from his kicking
Westwood - Far better as a centre half but i thought had one of his better games as a right back
Gerrard - Not a blinder but played well
Dann - Not as good as bristol but again played well
Talyor - Sound overall
Wright - Didnt really get into the game
Keates - Didnt really get into the game
Dobson - Didnt really get into the game but played a few nice long balls
Fox - Didnt really get into the game
Bedeau - Awfull
Butler - Worked hard and had a few good moves
Last edited by dannyv on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

solihull saddler

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:43 pm

Stood with a Shrewsbury season ticket holder at the home end tonight. Not always comforatble doing that but there was some good humoured banter and some genuine applause for Ince when he came down to his goal at the start of the second half. The view from the fans nearest to me was that Walsall was the best team they had seen this season and certainly a cut above Lincoln, who won at Gay Meadow. There were sharp intakes of breath whenever we went forward and everyone thougt that Pead had settled it in injury time. Very impressed with Ince - standing right behind him in the second half - and there was very impressive football, switching from wing, between the two boxes. Shrewsbury fans seemed very happy with a point and one said 'I can why Walsall are top of the league'. Their team showed a lot of passion in front of their biggest gate for years and probably had the best player on the park in Asamoah. Draw was a fair result.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:10 am

Willy-Nilly wrote:
Pedro wrote:Shrewsbury Saddler had some fun in a flat by the pub . He had a £5 bet he could hang out the top floor window .... which he did :D

That wasn't Shrewsbury Saddler though Pedro. :? It was asps.

Top entertainment though. :lol:

Definitely wasn't me!

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:18 am

BathSaddler wrote:1,863 Saddlers tonight at Gay Meadow. Well done lads and lasses.

Great point and great spirit by the sounds of it. Four points from 2 away games and still top of the league. That'll do for me.

UTS

1,863 police aswell

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:50 am

Got away with a last night. Why we have to resort to sitting back and humping long balls up front I have no idea. Disappointing in that if we had just taken the game to them we would have beaten them, this league looks woeful.

Echo what Bernie says.

Also, I would like to add that Westwood should be centre half, he's the only one who seems to be able to organise the back four, he's not a right back and I'm surprised that DD hasn't got someone in on loan at right back, I'd release Pead now.

Desperately need something more creative in midfield, Keates and Dobson are too similar, only Dobson is taller so he's fractionally more useful. Someone said that he was the new Martin O'Connor, frankly, that's an insult to the great one. I'm not convinced that DD would actually be more cavalier away from home anyway, even with a creative midfield, I think he just likes 10 men behind the ball.

Still, an away point gained and still top. The away form HAS to improve, we can't put too much pressure on our home form.

UTS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:09 am

I'd have taken a point, but it's saddening to see us play so poorly, when we are capable of so much better.

Keates and Wright were poor after the first ten minutes, and our only tactic was to play long diagonal balls for one of the front two to run on to. We just don't seem to have the calming influencing in midfield to settle things down and start passing it.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:22 am

Rode our luck at times last night , but whats happend to us over the last 3 years we deserve a bit of luck . Still not playing to our full potential but picking up points , cannot fault any player for work rate , commitment and effort .

Gutter Press

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:34 am

saddlerken wrote: only Dobson is taller so he's fractionally more useful. Someone said that he was the new Martin O'Connor, frankly, that's an insult to the great one.

UTS

Thank God someone else thinks Dobbo is horribly overated.

Keates and Dobbo has to be the most ineffectual midfield pairing I have seen in a long time.

Both huff and puff but neither can play a decent, simple through ball. Very disappointed with Dobson after I had heard rave reviews about him from fans on here but really the bottom line is the "Emporer has no clothes" - he is pants.

We cant keep getting away with the startling lack of creativity in midfield like we did last night. Get one of the two out of the team and if we dont have a ready replacement get someone in on loan.

Dobbo - nien danke

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:38 am

I think a few people need to take a step back and realise a few things.

1) We are in the fourth division!! Its not going to be total football week in week out, there are going to be lots of scrappy battling displays were we scratch out results.
2) 11 games ago we were a club in terminal decline, the rot has been well and truely stopped - a huge achievement given that we have many of the same players who so under-achieved last season.
3) To win promotion we need to win 3 games a month, and probably lose no more than 10 all season that would give us 90 points.
In August we won 4 games, we have already won 3 in September with one to play - we are bang on course if not ahead of schedule.
Can someone tell me where 10 defeats are coming from please?? We have played some of the best teams this division has to offer, Shrewsbury, Hartlepool, Darlo, and lincoln will all be there or thereabouts come May - none have beaten us thus far.
4) We have the best defensive record in the division, astounding when you consider how easy we have been to play against in the last two seasons.
5) Questioning DD's signings and team selection?? Bedeau was picked as a striker last night - he scored QED job done. Ince, and Butler havn't just "come off" they have been the signings of the season in this league.
Dobson has done well in patches but has been injured remember, ditto Bedeau. I also think Hector Sam has generally done a half decent job. Dann, Gerrard, Fox, Taylor, and Wright have all looked much better than they did last season, as had Ishy in terms of temperemant. Players that were liabilities week in week out are now contributing on a regular basis.

Lets just give people a chance to settle down and see what happens, the critisism of Pead is way over the top, is he the latest "target"??

Gutter Press

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:42 am

I'm not being overly critical Geordie and I accept that we are in a great position, I also realise that when you are in the 4th division you cant expect stunning football like Arsenal's.
I just think Dobson is cr@p and we are short of an (albeit 4th division) quality midfield playmaker, that's all.

Greg WP

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:48 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:I think a few people need to take a step back and realise a few things.

1) We are in the fourth division!! Its not going to be total football week in week out, there are going to be lots of scrappy battling displays were we scratch out results.
2) 11 games ago we were a club in terminal decline, the rot has been well and truely stopped - a huge achievement given that we have many of the same players who so under-achieved last season.
3) To win promotion we need to win 3 games a month, and probably lose no more than 10 all season that would give us 90 points.
In August we won 4 games, we have already won 3 in September with one to play - we are bang on course if not ahead of schedule.
Can someone tell me where 10 defeats are coming from please?? We have played some of the best teams this division has to offer, Shrewsbury, Hartlepool, Darlo, and lincoln will all be there or thereabouts come May - none have beaten us thus far.
4) We have the best defensive record in the division, astounding when you consider how easy we have been to play against in the last two seasons.
5) Questioning DD's signings and team selection?? Bedeau was picked as a striker last night - he scored QED job done. Ince, and Butler havn't just "come off" they have been the signings of the season in this league.
Dobson has done well in patches but has been injured remember, ditto Bedeau. I also think Hector Sam has generally done a half decent job. Dann, Gerrard, Fox, Taylor, and Wright have all looked much better than they did last season, as had Ishy in terms of temperemant. Players that were liabilities week in week out are now contributing on a regular basis.

Lets just give people a chance to settle down and see what happens, the critisism of Pead is way over the top, is he the latest "target"??

I was beginning to think we were bottom of the table with the worst goal diff in Europe. Thanks for that GS. I really dont know what some people expect.

Giza

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:48 am

Thought Taylor was poor last night, he's so laid back he should have his boots on his shoulders!!!

The amount of times his distribution and choices were poor.

Only thing he did was the great header in the second half after a good cross from the Salop.

Gutter Press

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:51 am

[quote="Greg WP"
I was beginning to think we were bottom of the table with the worst goal diff in Europe. Thanks for that GS. I really dont know what some people expect.[/quote]

Doesn't mean there can't be improvements.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:52 am

Bernie wrote:Another poor performance. We may be top of the league but if we continue play like we did tonight and on Saturday we will not even be in the top half of the table at the end of the season.

Blimey Bern', stop moaning and get behind the lads! :wink:

We are top of the league, say we are top of the league! 8)

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:53 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:I think a few people need to take a step back and realise a few things.

At last!!!! somebody talking sense , and looking at the positives.
As Geordie rightly says we are playing basement football . what do you expect play like Real Madrid every week.

What would you be saying if we were struggling at the bottom of the league.
We have a team now working hard running thier legs off every week.
giving 100%, a manager who knows exactly what he is doing.
We are top of the league bang on course for promotion .

WHAT MORE DO SOME OF YOU WANT ! ENJOT IT

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:56 am

Gutter Press wrote:I'm not being overly critical Geordie and I accept that we are in a great position, I also realise that when you are in the 4th division you cant expect stunning football like Arsenal's.
I just think Dobson is cr@p and we are short of an (albeit 4th division) quality midfield playmaker, that's all.

I'd agree, but perhaps RM thinks that you don't pass and play your way out of this division. We seem to be looking for solidity across the back four (not a great deal of creativity from the full-backs) and solidity in the middle. This makes us hard to score against - as shown by conceding seven goals in eleven games this season. The creativity is seemingly reserved for the front two and (to a lesser extent) the wingers. Aside from that, goals will come from speculative shots from distance or set pieces. Ain't always that pretty, but as Geordie says, to have the best goal difference around, given last season, is quite frankly astounding.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:57 am

LancsSaddler wrote:i thought we lacked ropers pace at the back to cope with asamoah and feel he would have won more clean headers

Agreed, last night showed just how much Roper means to us.

We missed hin bigstyle, imo.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:58 am

Spot on Geordie.....am really surprised by the criticism. The team as a whole performed magnificently last night to grind out a draw against a team who are very physical and who are clearly going to be up around the play-offs come the end of the season.

Points I would make about last night....

i) Give their manager some credit....we ran rings around them for 15 mins, with Wright finding acres of space...their manager realised that and started to close him down and deny him space. He also realised that Salop couldn't compete with us at "football" therefore the best tactic was to outmuscle us...it worked to some extent.

ii) Ok, a little bit of constructive criticism...Keates was way out of his depth last night. He gives 100% but last night, he didn;t offer anything in terms of football and he couldn't compete physically. And for those who say Dobson is rubbish, he was a 1-man midfield last night, what do you expect?

iii) Pead - where HAS this criticism come from? He came on, he looked lively, he competed better physically than Keates, he made some good runs forward and he hit a cracking shot against the bar!! Yes, 3 poor corners - clear lesson to be learnt, don't let him take the corners!! Personally, I'd start him in midfield next game instead of Keates

iv) So noticeable when Sam came on what an important role he plays. I haven't always been over-impressed by him so far, but to be fair, he came on and made intelligent runs which started creating space for Butler in particular, which he hadn't had all night.

v) The referee - what CAN you say. Some totally bizarre decisions but then, worst of all, to totally miss the nastiest tackle I've seen in a long time by no.28 on Butler was disgraceful. It was a red card, no doubt. It was pre-meditated, he and Butler had had "words" a few minutes earlier. Awful refereeing.

vi) Scott Dan - I think he looks remarkably composed and not at all out of his depth

vii) Westwood - superb defensively, my MOM

All in all, we're top, we're not losing in tough games and we have a team we're proud to support again....all seems very positive to me!

Greg WP

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:03 am

For the first 15 mins we played some great football. Dobson was the key man for me during that spell, the bloke can play.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season